What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

organic natural hippie or chemical pumping freak?

Ollie

Veteran
Organic all the way.

In all aspects, food, clothing and nutrients.

Also prefer glass and wood over plastic...

Rawfood green juices FTW.

Big up

B

Baron Greenback

Organic additives, minimal chemical nutrient for recirculating coco. I have toyed with going organic fully, but I just about know what I'm doing with canna products.
Some h&g, the bud enhancer and the roots accelerator. The rest is the ghe organic line - seaweed, nettles and the bio worm. Lots of foliar feed for me :)

I do miss my seaweed...aint near the ocean no more.......yeehaw..being able to gather a lot of your plants needs kicks ass.. you learn a lot and get more in touch with mother nature..yeehaw..I used to hate dandelions sp? (the weeds with yellow flower) till I seen their nute profile and now I compost them or add to wormbins...

very interesting. i know a good mate of mine that will find this info very useful and i will even pass it to normal gardeners in my family.. nice info.

Organic additives, minimal chemical nutrient for recirculating coco. I have toyed with going organic fully, but I just about know what I'm doing with canna products.
Some h&g, the bud enhancer and the roots accelerator. The rest is the ghe organic line - seaweed, nettles and the bio worm. Lots of foliar feed for me :)

yeah nice one.. im similar except not quite as much organic but may move towards a few things after i get more knowledge on the matter.. thanks for the post mate.

Ollie

Veteran
Alot would call me a crazy hippie lol, but 99 % vegan living, no fish nor flesh.

Im against all GMO, E numbers, wicked preservatives and refined sugars.

It takes some time to get used to no soda, traditional candy, fried foods, meat etc. but the rewards has been so good to my soul and body :).

Once You start on green juices in the morning, when ya dont get them you feel slammed like a hangover and 10x like not getting your coffee (which i dont drink neither)

X

xavier7995

thanks mate appreciate the input from someone who has tried both of these out. and yeah i sketch way to much about pests. even though i use a organic pesticide i dont like spaying anything after 2 weeks of flowering.. and also the worry of checking them all the time and worrying about deficiencies and such..

Yeah, nothing like popping open a bag of soil in the house and having your wife walk in right when it opens a bunch of random gnats and whatnot come flying out. Took a while to live down bringing a bag of bugs in the house and opening it up to let them go.

So many variations are possible, but I figure if I am in soil it is going to be organic, other mediums not so much. Going with coco for a few runs right now and might switch over to a DWC buckets a few grows down the linen. Kind of changing to many variables at once, but basically comparing soil with organics vs. hydro with chems.

Currently in week 2 of flower, some things i have noticed:
1. roots/growth: my coco hands down wins. The roots are amazingly huge with coco and chems, massive compared to soil. Above ground, coco is winning as well in terms of size. Really was not expecting them to grow so large during veg and overgrew my space.
2. General health: soil plants seemed healthier. While my coco resulted in larger plants, the stems are not as sturdy, leaves are not as uniform, etc etc. as what I found with dirt. Its sort of like pumping cows full of hormones to get them to be larger, more mass doesn't necessarily mean it is going to be a great end product. I have been adding silica since the get go, but meh, still doesn't compare.
3. Fun: def more fun going with the chems and feeling like a scientist as you mix it up.
4. price: hard to say, but i would expect to spend around 50-100 bucks in nutes for a grow vs something fairly cheaper for organics. The organics could be way more cost effective if someone could figure out a good way to determine what had been leached out of the soil vs. what was still present to "recharge" it.
5. General ease: Once organics are mixed up they are way way easier. Older folks, newer growers, etc. should certainly stick to soil and organics. Chemical nutes are much harder and you have to watch so many more factors than what happens with soil. One really nice thing about soil is that you can leave it for a while without worry, I can't really comfortably leave my grow for more than day tops without having to worry about it when running chems. With soil and organics, I could just water extra extra heavy and take off for a few days and know they would eat what they needed and that if they did happen to drink all the water, they wouldn't just up and die right away.

Kind of rambly....but yeah I think new growers, casual growers, older folks should all stick with soil and organics. Ultimately it is easier to have a successful crop. Hydro and chems are great for pros, harder core hobbyists; they yield better but definitely more challenging.

Fly by Night

Like a Wing
Veteran
hey guys want to start a thread that would get a lot of input and even a few friendly debates.. everyone has different oppinions so lets remember to respect that.

Organic all the way.

In all aspects, food, clothing and nutrients.

The answer is often found in the jeans...mainly the price and how they fit. If you don't mind me asking, how we lookin?

062907_jonatan1.jpg

Ollie

Veteran
The answer is often found in the jeans...mainly the price and how they fit. If you don't mind me asking, how we lookin?
Not holy nor anything, underwear etc. is nice to either have in organic cotton / hemp and then instead of mixed materials, pure like cotton etc. is prioritized.

But hey, i have the nike socks, carhartt pants and the Everest ski clothing, so im still living, but trying to keep "toxic" stuff at a low low ..

Both for the environment but also for the body.

Hippocrates Health Institute, are super "fanatic" about all clothing needs to be 100 % cotton etc. and no mixed materials, in order to let your skin breath and Thus giving your body the maximum possiblity energi to battle its battles.

stoned-trout

if it smells like fish
Veteran
Alot would call me a crazy hippie lol, but 99 % vegan living, no fish nor flesh.

Im against all GMO, E numbers, wicked preservatives and refined sugars.

It takes some time to get used to no soda, traditional candy, fried foods, meat etc. but the rewards has been so good to my soul and body :).

Once You start on green juices in the morning, when ya dont get them you feel slammed like a hangover and 10x like not getting your coffee (which i dont drink neither)
red juices in the morning..BLOODY MARY ....yeehaw

Ollie

Veteran
Lol , i would be all gone ..

Not drinking alcohol, so would make me wicked n sick ..

Works like poison, atleast in my body !

Ollie

Veteran
oddly enough , I love carrot & beet juice, but im still not a hippy
Thats also a sweet juice, high in natural sugars, but also packs some great vitamins, flavonoids and trace elements :)

Celery, spinach, cucumber, Little bit of rootbeet and carrot and ginger, thats the usual im running.

To increase the bio availability and nutrient uptake of the juice, You can add a bit of vegetable oil to the juice, i prefer hemp or olive oil.

And dont forget to chew the juice and not just upside Down ..

Peace

All chem'd out over here, but seriously considering making the switch, at least partially just to compare the results.

would love to see a comparison. but im on your side with this one.. im a chem freak myself.. but not as bad as some friends i know..

and since were on a organic section i would like to mention that i use a all natural bio sludge away which is a pond cleaner.. from my research its very similar to the way over priced enzyme products many grow shops will sell. it goes very far. if anyone wants more info on it feel free to pm me.. and thanks for the posts guys.. happy to see how much this thread has already grown in less than 24 hours.