What's new

Organic Fanatic Collective

rrog

Veteran
Right. I like the adding of amendments. Just want to start with EWC + compost, add in Perlite / Vermiculite, Peat, whatever. Then Amendments. Just looking to put together the ratios. I'd like to not have to buy Roots or Biobizz again

rrog

Veteran
Compost Accelerators

Compost Accelerators

Really interesting topic. Curious about species of plants like Nettles. Do they simply have high Nitrogen or is there some other component that facilitates decomposition?

Rusty420

can i top dress with guano, potash, rock phosphate and chicken shit in veg...and see benefit from the rock phosphate in flower?? 3 more weeks of veg isnt long enough i feel...? can i dissolve potash and rockphosphate in tea? or is topdress the way..?

the next run will have the ammendments mixed in.:)

thanks in advance organic heads.::tiphat:

Dislexus

the shit spoon
Veteran
I think rock phosphate in a tea might work because I played/experimented with it once, definitely used too much, and hurt my test plant, had to nurse it for a week but it did bounce back for a nice finish (may have been due to my nursing measures/stabs in the dark)... this was at the beginning of flower...

I don't mess with chicken shit.. fuck gnats! fuck blood meal too!

Dislexus

the shit spoon
Veteran
I used the powdered rock phosphate !

Pisses me off my organic gardening store only has this pellet rock phosphate now..

oops I offended the chicken shit users... I tried it.. Fuck if I know, I guess some gnats hatched. Is that impossible? Depends on the quality?

Rusty420

thanks MM, i will try 1gram per gallon.(4.5L) it came ground into powder..it fills the room when moved from initial container...mask is a must.:)

Big up the OFC!

newtoorganics

good shit guano man, let you take the glory haha. suuuuuuree ;P

on another note i went hikin today and came across some Urtica dioica or more comonly known as stinging nettles. my friend touched one and got pricked was itching for a little while. i laughed at him and remembered a experiment i did last year. nettle leaves are extremely good as a garden tea.

heres some info, its really hard to find the garden info for this. most people use it for medical uses.

anyways i used this tea on two plants from the same mother, same soil mix, same feedings except for the nettles. the one with the nettles tea was stronger and the high lasted a lot longer (hour+) i only got one run in but ive heard same results from a few people.

anyone familiar with this? seems to have a lot of things the plant could benefit from. maybe even part of the homemade LK mix.

jay could you give a hint as to how much leaf you used in your tea?

mapinguari

Veteran
jay could you give a hint as to how much leaf you used in your tea?

I thought it was funny to see jaykush talking about nettle like it was new to him! That post is six years old. Here's some other threads that discuss the nitty gritty of nettle and lots of other helpful plants and techniques:

http://www.icmag.com/ic/showthread.php?t=94673
http://www.icmag.com/ic/showthread.php?t=96325
http://www.icmag.com/ic/showthread.php?t=215776
http://www.icmag.com/ic/showthread.php?t=128172

Madjag

Veteran
Wonderful, wonderful thread. Save the earth while you farm!

I use super, super finely-ground stonemeal (rock dust) from Agrowinn to boost my food garden as well as my herb garden. It's amazing in the way it builds healthy soil and consequently healthy, high-brix plants.

The following info is from the Agrowinn website page on rock dust:

Rock dust is environmentally friendly and will not leach into your ground water. It is also a slow release product; its super-fine particles will pass through a 2500 mesh screen with water agitation. It is also easily applied with boom-type sprayers with diaphragm pumps only.

Agrowinn-Minerals (Rock Dust) have an extraordinarily high level of minerals and trace elements (57 different trace elements) in well balanced quantities. (Contact us for a complete trace element list).

Agrowinn Minerals:

- is environmentally friendly and non-polluting
- is not quickly soluble and has good residual
- loosens compacted soil and enhances plant feeder root fertility
- does not burn plants or seedlings

The finer Agrowinn-Minerals (Rock Dust) is ground, the less product is needed. Rock dust is of course, inorganic. And since microbes consume the fine dust easily, they then discharge organically available plant food. The warmer the climate, the more microbes that are available to create plant food.

Rainwater will bring the finely ground rock dust closer to the root zone of the plants and vegetables. And the closer to the root zone, the better the uptake of nutrients from the soil. The microbes also convert the minerals in Agrowinn into humus, and a deeper humus means better absorption of carbon dioxide from the air.

Agrowinn Minerals provide natural Phosphoric Acid, Soluble Potash, Calcium, Magnesium, Iron, and numerous other trace minerals with this guaranteed analysis:

GUARANTEED ANALYSES: 0-0.003-0.007
Available Phosphoric Acid (P205).....................................0.003%
Soluble Potash (K2O)....................................................0.007%
Calcium (Ca)................................................................ 4%
Magnesium (Mg)............................................................1.5%
Iron (Fe)....................................................................6.0%

Acres, U.S.A.
August 2003
by G.H. Earp-Thonw

Nutrition & Trace Minerals

Often it is the little things in life that really count. Who knows - the secret that keeps you from perfect health may be a tiny trace element no larger than the head of a pin - or even one-tenth the size of the head of a pin. Read this classic article from the 1950s - as timely today as when it first appeared - and you will understand just how important trace elements are. As Earp-Thomas relates, a mere six ounces of the trace mineral cobalt spread over 43,000-odd square feet of land became the difference between the fertility and barren-ness of a farm. Take six ounces of paint and try to spread it over 43,000 square feet surface, and you will comprehend how thin 6 ounces of cobalt must have been spread over 43,000 square feet of farmland- yet those six ounces to the acre saved the farm from ruin. Are you getting the trace elements? It will make little difference how much phosphorus, how much calcium, how much iron, how much this-or that ordinary mineral you are receiving each day if even one of the trace elements is missing from your diet.

Agrowinn-Minerals has Cobalt and 56 more elements of Macro-and Micronutrients.

And no, I am not an employee or advertiser for Agrowinn, nor do I get freebies or commissions. I wish.

Test: grow two identical strains in 10 pots. Keep the nutes, watering, and grow medium the same except for one pot with stonemeal on top of the soil that gets watered in slowly over many waterings.

The growth difference and healthy vibrance of the plant with the rock dust is significant. In open ground it takes longer to see soil health changes via the plants you grow, but there you will over time.

skunkbear

Hey suby, I have tried to make the brew as you described but Im not getting any foam. The only thing I havent done is phed the water as I dont have a ph meter.

Good morning folks, wake and bake and tea time. :sasmokin:

here's how to brew an effective tea.

Fill a 5 gallon bucket with water and use an airstone connected to an air pump to aerate the water for 24hrs, this will evaporate any traces of chlorine in the water wich can kill beneficial bacteria.

Ingredients (these are for 4 gallons of water)
This is a base tea, you can water with this every watering.

4TBS of worm castings
4TBS of molasses
1-2TBS lquid seaweed
2TBS of liquid karma (optional, substitute for humic or fulvic acids)

To feed the plants you add to your base tea:

2-3TBS of either high N or P guano

I don't use a cloth bag to hold the solid ammendments, I just dump everything in because I find it brews much better and the solids have a better contact and surface area with the rest of the brew.
The only drawback to the "no pouch method" is it can clog you airstone, what I do is keep the airstone suspended as opposed to sitting on the bottom.
Once everything is setup and the ingredients are brewing keep it bubbling for 24-48hrs loosely covered in a dark place, after 2 days you should have foam at the top.
Use guanos only when you want to give them a boost and not everytime as guano is high release, I use guano once high N in veg and 3-4 times during flowering, the rest of the time just use the basic elements and skip the guano.

Sub's

:woohoo: post #500

xmobotx

ecks moe baw teeks
ICMag Donor
Veteran
dont worry about foam; if you put that stuff in there its in there; that tea is more of a feed than a microbe plan

check out the compost tea info here in the organic soil forum

Metatron

Hello ICMAG organic community

Just getting back into the swing of things since taking a break from the garden. I'm about to mix a new batch of soil and am using a recipe from Clackamas. Its found here: https://www.icmag.com/ic/showpost.php?p=3370751&postcount=7

I've got everything down except the amendment mix.

When making a mix of amendments do any of you just use one part of each to make the mix?

Example: I have these available to me: cottonseed meal, kelp meal, fish meal, fish bone meal, and alfalfa meal.

Could I just take x1 part each to make my amendment mix and use that per recipe?

TIA

xmobotx

ecks moe baw teeks
ICMag Donor
Veteran
1 part is fine

there have been discussions on balancing ratios but this is mostly intellectual

diversity is really the key

Latest posts

Latest posts