What's new

Organic Fanatic Collective

Metatron

1 part is fine

there have been discussions on balancing ratios but this is mostly intellectual

diversity is really the key

Yes thats what CC always implied, lots of seed meals he used himself but none are available to me.

Thanks for the reply

skunkbear

HOLY MOLY!!!!! I GOT FOAM!!!!! IN THE BUCKET. I HAD TO WRAP THE BUCKET IN DARK TAPE. I GUESS THE LIGHT INHIBITS THE UH FERMENTATION?

M

MrSterling

I wanted to thank all you guys here on the organic forum! I just finished "Teeming with Microbes" last night(about to restart it for some deeper understanding) after it was suggested so heavily, and much of what you guys have taught me is being incorporated into my veggie garden this year - including mycorrhizae inoculation and ACT for my exhausted soil. I'm really looking forward to helping breathe life back into my dirt, and I have you guys to thank. I keep explaining to friends that organic pot growers seem to know more about organics than any farmer I've met, and they just don't believe me.

jaykush

dirty black hands
ICMag Donor
Veteran
I keep explaining to friends that organic pot growers seem to know more about organics than any farmer I've met, and they just don't believe me.

don't try to explain, show them, prove to them. that's the only true way to teach people and have it stick. gather knowledge, experiment, fail, learn from those failures, and don't forget to look to nature for answers.

heady blunts

prescription blunts
Veteran
yea show em your veggie garden in august.

a ridiculously amazing tomato is what originally turned me 9 or 10 years ago. lifechanger.

jaykush

dirty black hands
ICMag Donor
Veteran
also keep in mind SOME organic growers know more than most farmers, not all. there are some dumb asses out there.

M

MrSterling

also keep in mind SOME organic growers know more than most farmers, not all. there are some dumb asses out there.

Boy are there ever. There's idiots everywhere in every field. Just had to explain how chicken eggs are fertilized to a acquaintance who bought a farm. She thought the roosters fertilized them after they're laid. :wallbash:

I

Indian Culture

I want to try some organic soil. I want to add earthworm casting and lime to my promix and mix it together in a big bin or a kiddie pool.

My question is......how much water do I add for the 2 weeks while I let it activate? I'm sure the answer is in this thread but I went a few pages and couldn't find it, I don't want to search a 100 pages.

rrog

Veteran
I like to add enough water that when you squeeze a fistful, it stays a ball. But when you push on the ball of dirt it breaks up.

I

Indian Culture

So I want to mix all my amendments into say a kiddie pool, then add water to it and let it sit for a couple weeks before I use it? Do I mix after I add water ever or do I add a little water every few days or just the one time?

funkybud

So I want to mix all my amendments into say a kiddie pool, then add water to it and let it sit for a couple weeks before I use it? Do I mix after I add water ever or do I add a little water every few days or just the one time?
mix your ingrediants up,add water,mix again. you'll know there's enough water in the mix when you grab a handfull and squeeze,it trickles water.let it sit basicly untouched.
a good way to determine when its done cooking is when it cools off.you'll notice the temp rise if you stick your arm into it,about 95-100 degrees,then it will cool to room temp. when it cools to room temp its ready to use.
one last thing. use declorinated water,let it sit for a day before adding to your soil mix. make sure to add drainage holes to the container that the soil will "cook" in.

rrog

Veteran
I add amendments and predator microbes when I initially mix. I also turn my soil, like compost, to keep aerobic and keep from cooking the microbes. I'm thinking the predators are taking care of larvae that are common in soil base. So the soil is inoculated and clean.

Works excellent so far.

funkybud

I add amendments and predator microbes when I initially mix. I also turn my soil, like compost, to keep aerobic and keep from cooking the microbes. I'm thinking the predators are taking care of larvae that are common in soil base. So the soil is inoculated and clean.

Works excellent so far.
cooking the microbes? mother nature doesn't turn her soil between seasons,why should we?

H

hope2toke

cooking the microbes? mother nature doesn't turn her soil between seasons,why should we?

just think about it. This kind of venture could be a big money maker in the hydro store. a specialized "soil cooking" oven. including multi- tray racks for more sterile soil.

Gascanastan

Gone but NOT forgotten...
Veteran
The first time I cooked sand (circa 1990) to 'sterilize' it for use in propagation I questioned the practice.
Why it still happens I will never know. I guess it's those pesky soil organisms that are visually unappealing.

rrog

Veteran
"cooked" is a casual term. Just in case anyone missed the point. No one is suggesting cooking or otherwise heating the soil. You'd consider turning it to keep it aerobic and keep the temps down so as not to kill temperature sensitive microbes.

Gascanastan

Veteran
Believe it or not this 'term' is often misconstrued...I think the proper term should be 'composted'...or in layman's terms @ least 'broken down'....the people I've known that have actually 'baked' the soil in an oven.....wow...it really happens.

Gascanastan

Veteran
That's because they were told to by Cervantes from his book's first edition forward...

....there should be a 'myth vs reality' thread here somewhere.
So do you think that he's 'come around' or he's still just smoking some elite cut he got from 'some guy' all day and night and surfing the rings between Saturn...riding the wave of days gone past if you will?

Latest posts

Latest posts