What's new

Oregon Organic Guerrilla 2009, with your host BACKCOUNTRY

BACKCOUNTRY

Mourning the loss of my dog......
Veteran
I gave up trying to get any work done outside, the temperature reached 102F by 1:00PM. I'm sitting here drinking a cold beer, smoking a bowl, and looking through my old ICmag picture album.

I've come across lots of quick paint sketches, where I was trying to describe some hair-brain idea relating to irrigation. Here are a few from past years.

A proposed pond/swamp planter, 2006-

A planter that looks alot like a Earth hole, but uses a rope wick, 2006-

A rope wick self watering planter idea, 2006-

A example of a basic timer based irrigation system, 2006-

Here I was trying to explain how to build a rain harvester or catcher-

A attempt at a comical explanation of a timer based irrigation system, 2006-

Here I was trying to show a scenario where the grow spot and water source are on opposite sides of a ridge face-

Here is a paint drawing of a homemade Earth box, 2007-

Another Earth box type planter, 2008-
7710Basic_self-watering_planter.GIF

Another timer based irrigation system, 2008-

105F right now, woooweee!

BACKCOUNTRY

Veteran
A couple more drawings-

A passive wick system, 2006-

A idea for a self-watering swamp planter that would rise and fall with the water levels, 2006-

BACKCOUNTRY

Veteran
You know, I do a lot of complaining about my dry summer climate, worrying about water for my girls and such. But I have to admit there are some really good side affects of the dry climate, that I should be more thankful for.

For one, fungus/mildew problems are non-existent for me until the last couple weeks of the season, when budrot shows up. I see lots of growers on here struggle every year with PM and other fungus diseases, but my dry climate is very hostile to fungus.

The second blessing is that due to the fact that native lush green plants all die out by Early July, so do the bugs that would ravage my plants, I simply have no problems with bugs of any kind, ever, especially once the dry weather starts.

I guess I should be very thankful for my climate.

C

coxswain

Always such a positive atitude with BK. Thanks for sharing all of this with us.

OT: my c99 started. I guess she'll finish just as you estimated.

cheers!

DimeBag65

You will not be forgotten
Veteran
i like the boxes that your rockin there BC, the ladies are looking very healthy and happy :) all my best wishes goin out to you and for a successful season, take care :joint:

jwm

Veteran
Backcountry great inf....I can tell you've put alot of time and effort into these methods, apprecite your sharing.....

jwm

Veteran
Question for any outdoor oregon grower, I have a few recon x critical mass going outdoors. They get full sun, till 2pm...approx 6 hours a day. I'm in the columbia gorge.

What kind of finsihing date could I expect?

thanks-

BACKCOUNTRY

Veteran

Earthhole test, Aug 18- Aug 25

Gallon jug-
picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

Daily totals
Aug 18- High 103F, Low 58F, Avg humidity 37%
Aug 19- High 106F, Low 62F, Avg humidity 34%
Aug 20- High 102F, Low 61F, Avg humidity 32%
Aug 21- High 94F, Low 59F, Avg humidity 43%
Aug 22- High 91F, Low 55F, Avg humidity 43%
Aug 23- High 84F, Low 52F, Avg humidity 48%
Aug 24- High 91F, Low 53F, Avg humidity 41%
Aug 25- High 88F, Low 53F, Avg humidity 34%

Week totals
Average high 95F, Average low 57F, Average mean 76F
Average humidity 39%
Total Precipitation: 0.00 in
Water used in this period= 8 gallons in 8 days(would have been 7 gallons for a week

When the weather is hot, the water usage still climbs. But Autumn is very much in the air, things are starting to feel more like September than mid-summer now. Night lows should start dropping below 50F more often, and we should start having more highs in the 80s rather than the 90s, although a 100F day could happen again. Regardless, within the next couple weeks, temps should drop enough for fillings to become a bit less frequent.

Budding has become very apparent now, I think I'll need to bring some twist tie or twine to help spread this bush apart a bit. She has tons of tops reaching for the sky(a result of topping early in the season), and the highest tops are now around 6'.

I can't wait to see what the yield is like, it will not be jaw dropping I'm sure, but will almost certainly be as big or bigger than my last biggest plant.

DiscoBiscuit

weed fiend
Veteran
Wow, I thought 35 degree swings were bad! Can't imagine 50. My best friend is from Portland and the TV weather reports really freak him out.

You obviously know your craft, BACKCOUNTRY. I'll rep ya when I get some more to pass around.:D

M

masterKahn

Flowering has done good to your ladies, they are filling that fence in nicely. They are busting grows in remote Oregon left and right but you should be safe the smallest plot they busted was 1600 plants, the largest was 30,000!!!!!!!!!!!!

Paddi

GanjaGrower
Veteran
BACKCOUNTRY said:
She has tons of tops reaching for the sky(a result of topping early in the season), and the highest tops are now around 6'.
She´s a beauty BC :)

P :smoke:

Quiet_Riot

Veteran
Looking purty and perfect. Love that big lazy dog.. Got it hot, haha.

Some ingenious wicks ect you got going on, taggin along!

Dr Dog

Sharks have a week dedicated to me
Veteran
impressive

will be a cover shot when finished, I think we will have the october POTM already

Latest posts

Latest posts