What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Oregon Organic Guerrilla 2009, with your host BACKCOUNTRY

M

masterKahn

Sorry for a off topic question , but why don't you grow as a designated grower for a card holder? You could do it at home. The only reason I don't is because my house is always full of teenagers.[ I'm a Southern Oregon guy also]

being an OMMP grower is a very thankless job to have and by the letter of the law every leaf/stem/bud belongs to the patient. So he would grow 6 plants and it's illegal for him to keep any. It's a fucked up system i've spoken about on here before. Not to mention patients can be a pain in the ass in alot of ways. I would suggest you keep doing what you do and keep safe BC.

BACKCOUNTRY

Mourning the loss of my dog......
Veteran
masterKahn- As I have surfed the various Cannabis sites, and talked about Guerrilla growing, I am often asked a question that goes a bit like this- "Why do you work so hard? Why not just get a Oregon medical card, or become a caregiver?".
Often the question asker is a California med card holder, and I think they are assuming that the Oregon system is as loose and easy as the California system, its not.

The rules to get in are tough, and applications do get denied, your doctor must send complete records on your ailment, and it has to be on the short list of ailments that qualify. The limits on plants and bud are small, and the local Sheriff will take distinct interest in you if he finds out you are growing, legal or not.

If I, or a close friend or family member qualified for the card, I'd get it as quick as I can. But thankfully, no one is sick enough to qualify.

G

grasspass

When I asked the med card question I was suggesting breaking the rules..but not selling .The patient can't use 6 big trees. If you are growing out in the mountains, you are breaking the law anyway! I think it would be safer to be a med grower. When you get older like me , you start to know more and more hurting people. I don't know how you would do it if it wasn't a relative or good friend . It wouldn't be safe to advertise that your good at growing weed.

G

grasspass

I used to think that if I found an outdoor grow around here I would take a bud for myself , but now after reading this thread and knowing how much work goes into it, I wouldn't touch it or attract any attention to it! I used to grow a little outdoor guerrilla in the mid west with practically no work! The sky would water it and deer left it alone. Here, some kind of bug kills the little seedlings, rodents kill ones that are bigger and the deer eat everything and it doesn't rain in the summer!

BACKCOUNTRY

Veteran
The nice thing now though is that I finally have a super reliable irrigation system that will allow me to have my cake and eat it too. I can easily scatter a handfull of plants that will sustain my needs, and won't be spending a disproportionate amount of time making trips to water them. Also, since I won't be needing to visit for 3-5 weeks at a time, it will severely reduce the sheriffs options for investigating the grows and catching me.

G

grasspass

I failed a small outdoor here and I am not growing now. How big do plants have to be before you put them out? Some thing around here cuts seedlings in half or chomps them, obviously a bug of some sort.

H

humboldtlocal

Probably rats or mice. That is the big problem with gorilla around here. Maybe even slugs. In mendocino they sell more rat poison than any other county in the country. Kind of disgusting really.

BACKCOUNTRY

Veteran
Wood rats are actually more destructive than Deer for me. In my earlier Guerrilla days, I often blamed the damage on deer, but after one grow I finally figured out who had destroyed several grows early in the season, and did lots of damage to a blooming plot, it was freakin Wood rats(from the same tribe as Pack rats).

One of my plants this year has a quarter sized piece of bark missing near the base of the stock, not enough to girdle the plant, but she is the roughest looking of the bunch(more yellow leaves than normal this time of year). RATS! Should still get a great harvest from her though.

I heard of a cheep, effective rat trap though. Basically you take a 5 gallon bucket, fill it half way with water, and them some how erect a small smooth post in the the middle of the bucket, the post should come up to about the lip of the bucket. The top of the post is baited with Peanut butter or what not, and when the Rat tries to reach it, they fall in and drown.
I have not tried it this year, but I think I'll have at least one in the Vincenty of all my plants next year.

H

humboldtlocal

We used to use rat traps with a shelled peanut ziptied on to the bait platform. We also wire the trap down to a stick or root or they would get carried away by some other predator.

BACKCOUNTRY

Veteran
I usually don't put a seedling out until its lower main stem has become hard, since I usually sex my plants before going out, they are usually at least 2 months old at planting. At that age the bugs can't do much damage, and they usually all disappear when the dry season starts.

I often use small cages made of tight mesh wire to protect the plants when very small, I leave this in place to protect the lower stem from rats once the plant has out grown it, then a deer cage made from larger mesh goes on for the summer. I wish I had done that this year.

BACKCOUNTRY

Veteran
After thinking about Gantz's suggestion that a fold-able Earth-hole be developed, it got me thinking over the next few days about the possibilitys of application for Earth-holes and other Earth-box like devices.

For my personal application, I need a long lasting, totally reliable self-contained irrigation system, but this isn't the only way these could be used. Earth-holes could be built with a variety of combinations of soil and water capacity.

For me, I need lots of water capacity, and medium soil capacity, so I can grow medium size plants. But growers(even non-Guerrillas) with more regular access to their plants may like to use a version that has twice(or more) the soil capacity, with smaller water capacity, to grow huge plants.

Still other growers could use smaller Earth-holes made with 5 gallon buckets, to put out smaller plants in mid-summer, for a horde of single cola plants.

One ideal scenario for me may involve putting out large numbers of sexed seedlings or smallish clones in mid-July. Since the strategy would be to grow a large number of small, single cola plants, I could use a 5 gallon bucket(or even smaller maybe) as the planter.
I'd then use a large container(or build a rez using sheet plastic) as the rez, sunk in the ground. The idea would be to build the rez large enough so that a refill would be unnecessary, I could plant in mid-July, and simply not return until October to harvest.
The downside to this plan would be the large number of plants needed to reach my goal. I need at least 12oz of well trimmed bud to get through to next harvest, if each small plant grew 1oz I'd need 12 to meet goals. With 3-6oz plants I only need 2-4 plants to meet the goal.
The upside of the plan would be the extreme minimum of visits to the plot, virtually eliminating the chances of being caught. It would also save me a lot of time spent visiting plants over a longer season. And of course, 12 1oz plants spread out over a large area will be virtually impossible for the Helicopters to find. Even if one or two were found by people on foot, the rest would be very difficult to find.

mrgrowmez

Hey BC!

Ive been reading your threads now for the last three or so years and always find them interesting. Im embarking on my first outdoor grow this season down under after having completed a couple of indoor grows. Thanks to you I've got a heap of ideas about where to plant, how to plant, irrigate etc!!!
Thank the good lord above for icmag forums and all its awesome contributors.

I did a soil test for texture and it turns out Ive got sandy loam, so ill be carting in a bit of my own soil.
As for water im going to try running some guerilla collars and polymer crystals.

Your earth boxes are awesome ideas man and once I find a really good patch, Im going to dedicate the work into setting up a couple....
Keep up the brilliant threads,
mrg:joint:

lunatick

sup BC.

A smaller system is exactly what i have in mind.

lets say two 5gal containers,one for the plant and the other as a 5gal res - for how long will it be able to support a plant during the hottest days?(in your situation as an example).

maybe its a bit problematic to use same size containers,is it necessary to use a relatively shallow water res to create an even water distribution?

and sometimes i think about gluing a small tc pot directly to an above ground 5-7gal res.

on that subject i hope that your next update will include the tc plants.

jwm

Veteran
BC, I have a question regarding watering.

When I first started out most everyone of my mentors, and some of the books I read as well, said it was benefical to let the soil dry out a bit before watering. Not let them go limp but let the soil go dry before the next watering. I've forgotten why they reccommended this practice, but they did. Now we were always talking indoor grows, could this be the difference?
I've pretty much always followed this advice. I'm doing afew plants this year in my back yard and if your claims are accurate, and I'm sure they are, I'm going to water more frequently and see what happens....

s13sr20det

admit nothing, deny everything, and demand proof.
Veteran
BC, I have a question regarding watering.

When I first started out most everyone of my mentors, and some of the books I read as well, said it was benefical to let the soil dry out a bit before watering. Not let them go limp but let the soil go dry before the next watering. I've forgotten why they reccommended this practice, but they did. Now we were always talking indoor grows, could this be the difference?
I've pretty much always followed this advice. I'm doing afew plants this year in my back yard and if your claims are accurate, and I'm sure they are, I'm going to water more frequently and see what happens....

its so the roots go searching for water. if the soil stays wet the roots wont grow much.

jwm

Veteran
ummm, but you want strong root development, so that's not good...is it. I'm guessing BC will have a different take on it...

Gantz

Smoke weed and prosper
Veteran
I think the roots DID grow a lot and I believe that we've seen proof of this: a big plant needs a big root system to feed itself right? Even if water is abbundant, how can a small root system feed the kind of monster that BC is growing?
I've let plants without water for a few days indoors but outdoor i want to give them all they need and more because the outdoor conditions will always make the plant biggear and thus use more water. And sometimes the earth has all the moisture the plant needs and you don't need to water at all. But in a container outdoors...things change...

A

ares420

Your garden is perfect!! :)
Keep it gooing bro.

picture.php

Latest posts

Latest posts