What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Orange Grove guerrilla grow

JustSumTomatoes

Indicas make dreams happen
Just got back from the hospital. After having a root canal last week and one this morning, my tooth is cracked in half and I'm in a proper amount of pain. The plants are going to have to wait another day...

DARKSIDER

Official Seed Tester
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Just got back from the hospital. After having a root canal last week and one this morning, my tooth is cracked in half and I'm in a proper amount of pain. The plants are going to have to wait another day...

OUCH .sorry to hear m8 that's a naughty pain for sure hope its gets better sooner than later.:comfort:

browntrout

Veteran
Northern lights in the first pic, followed by the remainder Orange groves....

My largest Og in the last picture is looking mighty beat. I've had plants drop most of the fan leaves like this before, but only when they are begging to be pulled. Not to mention, are a few weeks deeper into the season after a few nights of chilly temps or frost. Think she's trying to tell me something?

To me that looks like frost damage 100%, it may have been caused by dry soil or lack of nutrients/ leaf resiliency. But have seen that a lot where i live.

JustSumTomatoes

Thanks for all the kind wishes, you guys are the best. Feeling a bit better today now that I'm on a second round of antibiotics and have meds for the pain. Got another appointment next week to figure out when I get it removed and get an inplant. So far all the surgeries in my life have been in my mouth. Hoping things will go smoothly and recovery will be well...

browntrout, you're right it does look like frost damage. I had that happen to a couple plants before but we haven't had any temps bellow freezing yet and none of the other plants (which are smaller) are having this problem. The soil was also moist when I pulled it, but they did suffer from a little bit of drought the week before. Lack of nutrients would be my #1 guess but like I mentioned before, I think it's more of a pH issue.

browntrout

Veteran
Thanks for all the kind wishes, you guys are the best. Feeling a bit better today now that I'm on a second round of antibiotics and have meds for the pain. Got another appointment next week to figure out when I get it removed and get an inplant. So far all the surgeries in my life have been in my mouth. Hoping things will go smoothly and recovery will be well...

browntrout, you're right it does look like frost damage. I had that happen to a couple plants before but we haven't had any temps bellow freezing yet and none of the other plants (which are smaller) are having this problem. The soil was also moist when I pulled it, but they did suffer from a little bit of drought the week before. Lack of nutrients would be my #1 guess but like I mentioned before, I think it's more of a pH issue.

Could be. You'd be surprised though, patchy frost / micro climates are real things. Also you can get frost when ambient air temps are above 0C due to cooler air / moving air at ground level, I've seen a few frosts around the 4-5c ambient readings this year. Clear skies late season are the worst.

Anyways hopefully you get some ripe seed out of them girls.

JustSumTomatoes

You might be right, I never thought about the whole microclimate thing. The plants are down a bit into a valley which could explain it, but nothing extreme like a mountain valley. The leaves just seemed to start dying at the bottom before reaching the top and it didn't all happen in one day/night. It's only happening to the one plant kind of has me scratching my head as well, and the large plant at that. You'd think the little ones would be more susceptible to frost. I'm kind of tempted to take soil samples at the end of it all and send them to a lab. Might help answer those questions.

browntrout

Veteran
You might be right, I never thought about the whole microclimate thing. The plants are down a bit into a valley which could explain it, but nothing extreme like a mountain valley. The leaves just seemed to start dying at the bottom before reaching the top and it didn't all happen in one day/night. It only happening to the one plant kind of has me scratching my head as well, and the large plant at that. You'd think the little ones would be more susceptible to frost. I'm kind of tempted to take soil samples at the end of it all and send them to a lab. Might help answer those questions.

Certainly frost resistance is strain related, but I guess I have seen plants wilt from inability to uptake water from stagnant soil, root rot or stem rot as well.

JustSumTomatoes

Chopped the 2 non-breeder plants last night, and yes mold is going to be a bit of a problem... I've already pulled off the fan leaves and have them hanging to dry. Hoping it doesn't spread too much. Looks like I have both Botrytis and powdery mildew going on, yay :woohoo:

On a positive note, not all is lost and the orange smelling pheno is definitely my best yielder, even more so than the larger plant that came down earlier this week. Really thick buds on that one.

Also had kind of a cool experience while I was out in the woods. I heard a pair of great horned owls calling back and forth to each other the whole time I was watering/feeding the seed plants and chopping the other two down. Couldn't see them, but I could hear them and they were close. As I was leaving via creek I heard one directly over my head but couldn't see it. I know from experience that great horns will usually perch on the highest branch on the tallest tree. I cupped my hands around my mouth and took my best shot at an owl hoot. The one owl then flew out of the tree hanging over the creek into another tall tree to see what was up. Owls have such a distinct silhouette when skylighted with their rounded wings and impressive ability to fly dead silent. I stood in the creek and watched for a while as it sat in a tree probably 80 feet above me and called to its partner. I've had so many neat wildlife sightings while out there over the past several years. Also had a small buck parallel me last night as I walked down the creek. Didn't seem to be afraid at all... Maybe it knew my backpack was bulging with weed and was trying to bum some off me. :biggrin:

Here's a sneak peek of what I hung to dry last night...

Attachments

• 20191011_135018[1].jpg
    20191011_135018[1].jpg
    188.2 KB · Views: 28
Id break those branches down into individual buds to dry if i had mold issues JST. Id want to get good airflow and lots of surface area to retard mold development.

JustSumTomatoes

I'd break those branches down into individual buds to dry if i had mold issues JST. Id want to get good airflow and lots of surface area to retard mold development.
I'll probably do that here soon, it's just easier to dry them like that for the time being. Have them all up in my shed at the moment. Got all the fan leaves off to help with that.

With foggy autumns its always a challenge in our parts. I make up a chicken wire rack for anything with a bit of mold and break it right down into nuggets. Stops the mold development pretty quickand lets me find the hidden moldy clumps and cut them out before they ruin the whole bud. Stoked its coming home for you. That orange grove sounds like some very tasty ganj.

JustSumTomatoes

Looks like we may be getting some frost tonight. Fingers crossed the seeded plants will be able to hold out a bit longer.

Fingers crossed fella- Indicas tend to bear it better... could always stick a feed bag over it on a couple of stakes to give it some added protection if a bad patchs coming. Or harvest most and just leave seeded areas on the plant.

JustSumTomatoes

I plan to just ride it out as long as possible in hope's of getting as many mature seeds as possible. Last year this strain and the Nl took frost like a champ. A night or morning of chilly temps is one thing, but over 24 hours of below freezing temps is another. Hopefully things will warm up by tommorow.

JustSumTomatoes

Been pretty good about sticking to my edibles only regiment and avoiding smoking for the most part. Finally the other day I broke and picked up a small pipe from this shop in the area that's been around for some 40 odd years. The owner (who is the nicest, most genuine guy in the world I must add) recently was diagnosed with cancer and had been battling with that, and the in and outs of the nightmarish American health care system. I ended up talking with the fellow for a while (and his pug that is always at the shop keeping him and the customers company) and before leaving, this little piece caught my eye. Decided to try an early sample before mowing the lawn today. Very tasty, and I felt almost too stoned to get any work done. Not saying that's a bad thing. :)

Attachments

• 20191015_164108.jpg
    20191015_164108.jpg
    166.7 KB · Views: 25

JustSumTomatoes

this pipe is a beauty... the bud looks a little moldy,...

greez
Without a doubt mold was my biggest enemy this year. Both Botrytis and Powdery mildew showed up before they were even in flower. Tonight I searched through the branches and pulled out about an ounce of mold free, top shelf buds from the batch. Most of the other stuff had mold to some extant throughout it. It really is a bitch but it comes with the territory of growing Afghan varieties in a damp woodland environment. Going to try and see what can be salvaged from the wreck.

Latest posts

Latest posts