What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

OPOP...One Pound..One Plant V

THC123

Veteran
Maybe you could get close to a pound in a 15 if you used a high yielding strain in pure coco and you fed aggressively like you would indoors.

it is especially just the right genetics
then good soil , 15 gal and some organic ferts , not too much , will also do the trick

just train them horizontally and top them + make a cage to support weight and your set

nomaad

Veteran
no way you'll pull down a pound in 15 gallons of soil. simos speaks the truth- 50-65 gallons.

M

michael68

no way you'll pull down a pound in 15 gallons of soil. simos speaks the truth- 50-65 gallons.
nah, my friend gets a pound easy in 15 gallon pots.

I pull 7 ounces in 7 gallon pots and I'm not even that good at growing. Strain dependent, water and nutes, and decent veg time.

B

BigTex

I couldn't imagine growing a plant like this in only 15 gal of any medium, but for those who think it's possible more power to ya. 40-60 gal would be more appropriate.

That orange bucket is 5 gal so 15 gal would be three times bigger but you can still see how out of proportion that'd be....not my first rodeo

picture.php

try comb

ive pulled plants well over a pound with less than 15 gallons of soil in michigan.

did i have to water way more than i wanted and could the plants have performed better if they had more soil to work with? of course.

have i got over a pound multiple times with great, dry, trimmed end product outta around 10 gallons of soil in low sun conditions? sure have.

will i ever do that again? fuck no.

nomaad

Veteran
TC: did they root thru the pot into the ground?

I pulled down closer to 2 out of the Cough in a 65. but a pound in 10 gallons seems inconceivable. BUT... if I have learned one thing this year for sure, its that the law of diminishing returns applies in a big way to ganja farming. Smaller plants are more efficient than big ones and working on smaller plants is more efficient than working on big ones.

I am pretty sure that 3 plants, each in 100 gallons of dirt will yield far more than a single one of my monsters in 300s. I am also going to run my black box in 20 gallon pots next year, having tried 65s and 800 gallon beds in my last two go-rounds.

I will accept that a pound can be grown in 10 or 15, but i am betting that you could not grow 7 pounds in a single 70 gallon container.

M

michael68

I pulled down closer to 2 out of the Cough in a 65. but a pound in 10 gallons seems inconceivable. BUT... if I have learned one thing this year for sure, its that the law of diminishing returns applies in a big way to ganja farming. Smaller plants are more efficient than big ones and working on smaller plants is more efficient than working on big ones.

I am pretty sure that 3 plants, each in 100 gallons of dirt will yield far more than a single one of my monsters in 300s. I am also going to run my black box in 20 gallon pots next year, having tried 65s and 800 gallon beds in my last two go-rounds.

I will accept that a pound can be grown in 10 or 15, but i am betting that you could not grow 7 pounds in a single 70 gallon container.
Ya I agree.

Because that would mean those 200/300 gallon smart pot guys would be growing 20 and 30 pound plants lol. I think out of tom hill, HL, etc, the biggest plant was 8 pounds or less. Even those big aussie plants. Doubt any plant in the world has exceeded 8 pounds.

nomaad

Veteran
Ya I agree.

Because that would mean those 200/300 gallon smart pot guys would be growing 20 and 30 pound plants lol. I think out of tom hill, HL, etc, the biggest plant was 8 pounds or less. Even those big aussie plants. Doubt any plant in the world has exceeded 8 pounds.

I dunno. There are several 10+ claims from folks I believe to be honest. I pulled down at least one 8 pounder this year but my average was 6.4 (when i took out a pair of sickly plants from the equation... Most pots were 200's but the 8 pounder was in 300. I could have gotten more out of the plants with better training and topping early on. I don;t think 10 pounds is outside of the realm of possibility. with a 12'x12'x18" planter, I believe that 12 could be achieved. I am looking forward to hearing the yield report from FillThePotMore who grew in such containers this year. The cut he grew came from Butte's 12 pound Blue Dream from 09.

McDank8O5

those are some nice looking plants for sure bulldog!

this last season was my first run with smartpots i didnt exceed 20 gallons. stepping up next season thanks to all the inspiration from you fellas up north!

this girl was a little over one lb when finished... i am pretty skeptical on one pound in a 10 gallon

picture.php

simos

Ya I agree.

You assume incorrectly. Many people have pushed 8, and quite a few have crossed the boundary into double digits.

Tom led the way and has explained that the first strain he managed it with was Salmon Creek Big Bud. He has since done it with Trainwreck, Snowcap (I think), and probably others. If memory serves me correctly he said his biggest ever was a 12 pounder.

I would be shocked if HL didn't have at least a plant or two in double digits - the growth he managed this year was staggering.

Likewise, I'm certain Fill had some 10+ pounders, what with his giant in-ground holes.

PoopyTeaBags

State Liscensed Care Giver/Patient, Assistant Trai
Veteran

my biggest plant ever was 12oz in a 5 gal pot with 2k on it... its possible for sure....

try comb

nope, they were moved several times throughout the season, since they were grown in a swamp, they had to be moved when a heavy rain came to avoid possible flooding....

did u pull apart ne of your 200 or 300s from this year and examine the root system........curious if they really wanted more room or not......?

McDank8O5

nope, they were moved several times throughout the season, since they were grown in a swamp, they had to be moved when a heavy rain came to avoid possible flooding....

did u pull apart ne of your 200 or 300s from this year and examine the root system........curious if they really wanted more room or not......?

also very curious about that as well nomaad.

Likewise, I'm certain Fill had some 10+ pounders, what with his giant in-ground holes

Likewise, I'm certain Fill had some 10+ pounders, what with his giant in-ground holes

I don't think 10 pounds is outside of the realm of possibility. with a 12'x12'x18" planter, I believe that 12 could be achieved. I am looking forward to hearing the yield report from FillThePotMore who grew in such containers this year. The cut he grew came from Butte's 12 pound Blue Dream from 09.
Aloha Happy Farmers! May you all be BLESSED & JUBILANT! Here's a quick update from the "BIG FARM"...

Blue Dream Boulevard yielded well over 10lbs each with a majority pushing 11.5 to 12+lbs... The strain "Kish" surprised the tribe and contributed 12lbs. into the medical endeavor as well and many other varieties produced ample quantities of vigorous, vibrant, dense, aromatic, medicine 4 the people.

However, it was the strain, "Mental Floss" that broke the Farm's personal record. Once harvested, trimmed, cured, and without gleaning or windfall added into the equation... She had provided over 13lbs. of purple enriched flowers of bliss.

I'll post some pics in the near future. Happy Holidays & Many Blessings 2 all!
ying.gif

M

mugenbao

I've been intensely curious about this as well. I don't think I've ever seen pics of the root system from a big tree grow, and I'd very much like to.

T

theJointedOne

I dunno. There are several 10+ claims from folks I believe to be honest. I pulled down at least one 8 pounder this year but my average was 6.4 (when i took out a pair of sickly plants from the equation... Most pots were 200's but the 8 pounder was in 300. I could have gotten more out of the plants with better training and topping early on. I don;t think 10 pounds is outside of the realm of possibility. with a 12'x12'x18" planter, I believe that 12 could be achieved. I am looking forward to hearing the yield report from FillThePotMore who grew in such containers this year. The cut he grew came from Butte's 12 pound Blue Dream from 09.

hey nomaad just thought id let you know i saw the "Nomaad" :wave: cut of BD get 12.5 off one. the grower got almost 10 average on his bd's. 10 x 10 holes! raised beds or smarties are cool but imho are really good only if you have too, if you can let the roots expand your yields will rise, but heck 8 per 300 is not slacking at all!!