What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Old Growers becoming obsolete

green-genes77

Veteran
Let 'em go. I am a hobby grower/breeder in my own time and work professionally in the industry in Oregon and I'll never leave. Ultimately, this will probably have the effect of concentrating the good information from talented old-schoolers like us and only make ICmag a better source for information for people interested in producing high-quality cannabis.

green-genes77

Veteran
Had a similar conversation with my dad.im 30 he's 60.i showed him these hipster kids in million dollar warehouses making wax and budder.we couldn't put our finger on how these dorks(they did know what they were doing) got millions in funds or are they just Cali rich? Can someone explain this?the equipment alone was at least 50 Grand

Trust find kiddies pretending like they invented cannabis. See also: the majority of stateside seed producers. Just add "cookies" "cake" "punch" or "breath" to a descriptive term of your choice and you'll rake it in. No need to even test your wares before distributing in some flashy packaging to eager fanboys :laughing:

shithawk420

Veteran
Trust find kiddies pretending like they invented cannabis. See also: the majority of stateside seed producers. Just add "cookies" "cake" "punch" or "breath" to a descriptive term of your choice and you'll rake it in. No need to even test your wares before distributing in some flashy packaging to eager fanboys :laughing:
Some of these kids had to be chemical engineers or something.i think people with money are recruited this kids out of college or something.

These kids can't be millionaires straight outta college

Klompen

Not sure how prices are across the nation but dispensary bud in the 4 corners Colorado ranges from $12/g to $25/g. Bottom shelf products seem to come from the same exact plants as the top shelf. The difference being popcorn vs Buds/Nugs at the top as well as whether it's hand trimmed or machine trimmed.

Yowsers that's a lot more expensive than I expected. I would have figured legalization and these massive warehouse grows would have dropped prices lower than that. Even here where its very illegal we can still get decent nuggets for that sort of money. Actually I can't remember ever seeing anything in my state that cost $25/g That's nuts.

mean mr.mustard

I Pass Satellites
Veteran
Top shelf used to go for 50 bucks an eighth.

Gotta fund the machine.

My market has been gouged by legal states' overage. 12 bucks a gram is the top price anybody's willing to pay for any quality herb.

Fifties have disappeared and quality along with the price tag.

The consumers have spoken...

Or been told that they've decided....

Or whatever.

Keep on growing Ohigho!

packerfan79

Veteran
Yowsers that's a lot more expensive than I expected. I would have figured legalization and these massive warehouse grows would have dropped prices lower than that. Even here where its very illegal we can still get decent nuggets for that sort of money. Actually I can't remember ever seeing anything in my state that cost $25/g That's nuts.

I have seen ads for 99$ ounces in Colorado. That being said my family from Colorado, rave about the bud I grow. I know growers who take their own bud when they go to Colorado.

Klompen

I get that there'll always be a certain amount of compromise involved with bulk production systems, but I think one of the worst is purely psychological. For a guy growing 1lbs a month in his basement, doing something that greatly improves quality while costing him 5-10% on their total haul is not such a big deal. Lets say that even at $99 an ounce that person is still making over 1500 dollars when they could have maybe produced a little more bulk and sold a bit cheaper to make 1600-1700. It just doesn't seem like a huge deal. When you're growing 100lbs a month though, an extra 150-200 per pound means 15,000-17,000 dollars that you're missing out on because of focus on quality over quantity. Get up to 1000lbs and its 150,000-170,000. So there's just this psychological issue when investors and owners look at something that might even just cost them 1%.

So if I could produce top-shelf cannabis and make 1500 a month off of it, that would pretty much completely change my life in really great ways. I would do that for a living in a heartbeat. I don't need black market prices to incentivize me to aim for growing the absolute best.

MJPassion

Observer
ICMag Donor
Veteran

I think most of the reason for the high prices in the 4 corners is due to 3 states and the Navajo Nation nearby that are not legal yet.

I'm hoping AZ will change that this year and NM in the near future. Both have med and UT is voting on med this year as well if I recall correctly. If these states get bud rights I think prices here will plummet to similar to the Denver metro area.

St. Phatty

Get to know your neighbors and pot is often completely free.

One neighbor gifted me about 3 ounces last year, and about 1 ounce so far this year.

One of the strains is up there with "best I ever had", another is some very respectable labelled Hindu Kush.

MJPassion

Observer
ICMag Donor
Veteran
My neighbor is giving away about 20 lbs...
hehehe...

I don't need it but I know folks who can use it and may get some just to turn into edibles and wax to give away.
I hope my crop lasts me until next season.

Capt.Ahab

Feeding the ducks with a bun.
Veteran
Ill just..
629511f.jpg

Ive got a limited but loyal base of patients and customers.
Some pay nothing, some pay up to $200/oz.
Doesnt make me rich but it covers the costs of growing and supports my "hobby" of growing.
If the market changes to the point where I cant compete Ill still grow for myself and friends and those in need of good clean meds.

St. Phatty

Some of the first Cannabis I ever enjoyed was 2 1/2 pounds of fresh butter from a neighbor in Belmont, CA. 1/2 way between San Jose & SF.

The recipe was, 1 1/2 pounds of sugar trim in 10 pounds of butter. I got a 1/4 of it when they cleaned out their fridge.

The guy was a professional chef. It was some of the best edibles I've ever had. It had a speedy stimulant effect sometimes.

Once I went to the gym under the influence and spent literally 45 minutes on the lat pull-down machine. Just did not get tired.

May have raised a few eye-brows but fortunately there were no roid-heads waiting behind me in line.

Hydro8

It is the season when I start getting more outdoor weed then I know what to do with.. Neighbors, family and friends everyone has plants these days. Some of them I gave them teen clones, drop them off like puppies, lol

A few people I know are growing strains that they have had outdoors for a few generations, it is interesting to see them acclimate and develop.

Klompen

My neighbor is giving away about 20 lbs...
hehehe...

I don't need it but I know folks who can use it and may get some just to turn into edibles and wax to give away.
I hope my crop lasts me until next season.

That's a future to look forward to here! I know a guy who went around with a wheelbarrow full of garden veggies to give his neighbors, but its so rare to ever even hear about it here if anyone grows.

Smith111

Some of the first Cannabis I ever enjoyed was 2 1/2 pounds of fresh butter from a neighbor in Belmont, CA. 1/2 way between San Jose & SF.

The recipe was, 1 1/2 pounds of sugar trim in 10 pounds of butter. I got a 1/4 of it when they cleaned out their fridge.

The guy was a professional chef. It was some of the best edibles I've ever had. It had a speedy stimulant effect sometimes.

Once I went to the gym under the influence and spent literally 45 minutes on the lat pull-down machine. Just did not get tired.

May have raised a few eye-brows but fortunately there were no roid-heads waiting behind me in line.

All I can think is you high as heck, pulling on a lat machine thinking you are in the grove of the best work out of your life. The reality was no weights were attached to the machine, and you were just pumping the bar, lol.

I lived in that area for a while, very nice area. :tiphat:

St. Phatty

All I can think is you high as heck, pulling on a lat machine thinking you are in the grove of the best work out of your life. The reality was no weights were attached to the machine, and you were just pumping the bar, lol.

I lived in that area for a while, very nice area. :tiphat:

That could be a funny movie scene.

I had about 1/2 the stack on the wire. It was one of those Cybex type machines.