What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

OG Kush heritage?

OG Kush heritage?

• Afghanistan

Votes: 40 57.1%
  • Pakistan

Votes: 30 42.9%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.
H

HemperorsKnight

That story I heard off a skunk mag and I read the article in high times with the bubba story I just don't understand how the guy who goes by bubba can say that pre98 bubba isn't legit pre98 is the real bubba tho righr?

JetLife175

Veteran
That story I heard off a skunk mag and I read the article in high times with the bubba story I just don't understand how the guy who goes by bubba can say that pre98 bubba isn't legit pre98 is the real bubba tho righr?

When the bubba kush first came about some dudes in Seal Beach got the cut in 96/97. Hence why they dubbed theirs the pre 98. It's legit. It's just beyond bubbas scope of knowledge in my opinion.

H

HemperorsKnight

When the bubba kush first came about some dudes in Seal Beach got the cut in 96/97. Hence why they dubbed theirs the pre 98. It's legit. It's just beyond bubbas scope of knowledge in my opinion.

That would make sense now I am going to research and see how far back I can trace bubba on the threads

Thanks jetlife175

Big Sur

Very well put brother there are many stories that involves the history of the OG kush soon may we be unveiled the truth of its lineage through that project OGenome and then the backstory won't matter as much cuz many people will always hold tight onto their perceptions

Very true. Paradigms take an eternity to give way to fact.

As for the original story line of the strain, that was on OG at one time (OverGrow). That forum has actually been reactivated now, but I do not believe that the original forum was archived or is available.

Even OG has all kinds of BS 'mystery' around it. In the OG Kush name, it was definitely for OverGrow, but tell that to someone at OceanGrown (now a weed company name in McMinville, OR). Or anyone in SoCal. Or in NYC, where it is Original Ganstah. Personally I think it should be OregonGrown. That is what all my weed is here.

As for OG Kush, there are so many names for it in California that I cannot see how it came to be in Florida. Sac I, Sac II, Sac III, Emerald OG, Tahoe OG, Larry, Diablo, SFV OG Kush, Fire, Abusive, Lost Coast OG Kush to name a few. There is even a Big Sur Holy weed cross with OG kush, called Sticky Icky Kush. I grew a Ghost cut of OG for several years here. That cut was from back in the medical cut trade days which peaked about 6 years ago here, and that cut of Ghost was supposed to be from L.A. It was virtually identical to Tahoe OG which I also grew.

I suppose you can also trace the history of Chem Dog (now more commonly called Chem Dawg), which is said to be an S1 of Dog Bud originally from NorCal (some say So. Oregon) grown in Colorado. That was sold as bag weed for an insane price at a Grateful Dead concert in the Midwest and wound up being shipped to NYC and wound up in MA (or was it MA to NYC?), then back cross country to Grass Valley and from there through Salinas to Orange County, where I believe that OG Kush was first crossed. Otherwise it went from NYC to Florida where it was crossed, and from Florida to L.A. as Ghost OG. A long trek either way.

Chem is another strain with many names. I lost count a while ago. 4 originals, the reunion strain, and all the Diesels and subsequent crosses of that all peeled off in MA and NYC. I believe that all of the Chem, OG and Diesel genetics out there have Dog Bud in them. Where Dog Bud was from? Lost in modern history. I would guess Humboldt myself. From Northern California to Southern California... start to finish, via the entire US.

H

HemperorsKnight

Very true. Paradigms take an eternity to give way to fact.

As for the original story line of the strain, that was on OG at one time (OverGrow). That forum has actually been reactivated now, but I do not believe that the original forum was archived or is available.

Even OG has all kinds of BS 'mystery' around it. In the OG Kush name, it was definitely for OverGrow, but tell that to someone at OceanGrown (now a weed company name in McMinville, OR). Or anyone in SoCal. Or in NYC, where it is Original Ganstah. Personally I think it should be OregonGrown. That is what all my weed is here.

As for OG Kush, there are so many names for it in California that I cannot see how it came to be in Florida. Sac I, Sac II, Sac III, Emerald OG, Tahoe OG, Larry, Diablo, SFV OG Kush, Fire, Abusive, Lost Coast OG Kush to name a few. There is even a Big Sur Holy weed cross with OG kush, called Sticky Icky Kush. I grew a Ghost cut of OG for several years here. That cut was from back in the medical cut trade days which peaked about 6 years ago here, and that cut of Ghost was supposed to be from L.A. It was virtually identical to Tahoe OG which I also grew.

I suppose you can also trace the history of Chem Dog (now more commonly called Chem Dawg), which is said to be an S1 of Dog Bud originally from NorCal (some say So. Oregon) grown in Colorado. That was sold as bag weed for an insane price at a Grateful Dead concert in the Midwest and wound up being shipped to NYC and wound up in MA (or was it MA to NYC?), then back cross country to Grass Valley and from there through Salinas to Orange County, where I believe that OG Kush was first crossed. Otherwise it went from NYC to Florida where it was crossed, and from Florida to L.A. as Ghost OG. A long trek either way.

Chem is another strain with many names. I lost count a while ago. 4 originals, the reunion strain, and all the Diesels and subsequent crosses of that all peeled off in MA and NYC. I believe that all of the Chem, OG and Diesel genetics out there have Dog Bud in them. Where Dog Bud was from? Lost in modern history. I would guess Humboldt myself. From Northern California to Southern California... start to finish, via the entire US.

Thanks jetlife175 that makes my search easier if it's anywhere still up n running I see a few forums have been taken down...

Big Sur, thanks for the post I will keep reading and seeing this thread evolve with more information that comes available

Blessings brothers

-Hemperorsknight

:tiphat:

Big Sur

There are a lot of YouTube vids on the history of Dog Bud, Chem Dog and OG Kush. Some are consistent, some are highly variable. Some vids have Chem himself talking about the original seeds for the Chem Dawg strains and the Diesel derivatives. One guy from Crested Butte in CO talks about growing Dog Bud there and where it came from. He says Dog Bud is now extinct in Colorado. OG Kush is more variable and may well be several different crosses.

Pieced together from several sources, the California story for OG Kush and Bubba goes something like this: In 1993 a guy named John in Grass Valley, CA got a cut of Chem Dog (presumed to be what is now called Chem Dawg '91). He shred a cut of the Dog with several people in CA, including Jerry in Dibble Creek, and Harold in Sunset Beach.

Harold (AKA: Putz) crossed Chem Dog with a Lemon Thai x Pakistani Kush male. The buds from that cross began circulating around L.A. in late '95. That was dubbed OG Kush. In the spring of '96 Putz emigrated to NZ. Before he left, he had sent some OG Kush cuts to Bob in Salinas, CA. He left the rest of his plants and seeds with Mike in Downey, CA. In late '96 Mike sold some of the original OG seeds to some growers in the San Fernando Valley. That's supposedly where the various SFV cuts of OG come from (and subsequent Sac1-3, Diablo and others from there). Mike also sold a cut of the original OG to a guy in Orange Co. and that cut became known as Larry. Mike is said to have also sent one other cut of the original OG to a breeder in Europe.

Meanwhile, Jerry had bred his Chem Dog cut to a Humboldt indica male. Jerry then gave this plant to Bob. It was dubbed the West Coast Dog. Bob then bred the WC Dog to a Kush male (Afghani?) and re-crossed it to the OG Kush cuts that Putz had sent him. This is said to be what became the original Bubba, circa '97.

Its OG genetic soup!

Last edited:

JetLife175

Veteran
There are a lot of YouTube vids on the history of Dog Bud, Chem Dog and OG Kush. Some are consistent, some are highly variable. Some vids have Chem himself talking about the original seeds for the Chem Dawg strains and the Diesel derivatives. One guy from Crested Butte in CO talks about growing Dog Bud there and where it came from. He says Dog Bud is now extinct in Colorado. OG Kush is more variable and may well be several different crosses.

Pieced together from several sources, the California story for OG Kush and Bubba goes something like this: In 1993 a guy named John in Grass Valley, CA got a cut of Chem Dog (presumed to be what is now called Chem Dawg '91). He shred a cut of the Dog with several people in CA, including Jerry in Dibble Creek, and Harold in Sunset Beach.

Harold (AKA: Putz) crossed Chem Dog with a Lemon Thai x Pakistani Kush male. The buds from that cross began circulating around L.A. in late '95. That was dubbed OG Kush. In the spring of '96 Putz emigrated to NZ. Before he left, he had sent some OG Kush cuts to Bob in Salinas, CA. He left the rest of his plants and seeds with Mike in Downey, CA. In late '96 Mike sold some of the original OG seeds to some growers in the San Fernando Valley. That's supposedly where the various SFV cuts of OG come from (and subsequent Sac1-3, Diablo and others from there). Mike also sold a cut of the original OG to a guy in Orange Co. and that cut became known as Larry. Mike is said to have also sent one other cut of the original OG to a breeder in Europe.

Meanwhile, Jerry had bred his Chem Dog cut to a Humboldt indica male. Jerry then gave this plant to Bob. It was dubbed the West Coast Dog. Bob then bred the WC Dog to a Kush male (Afghani?) and re-crossed it to the OG Kush cuts that Putz had sent him. This is said to be what became the original Bubba, circa '97.

Its OG genetic soup!

That story was put out years ago by Sierra Seeds and there hasn't been any validity to it at all. I'm sure there are a few people like ThaDocta and Nspectah can attest to this being false.

Big Sur

Hey big sur.

I've seen the PBud/JoeB camp say that the dog bud cane out of camas valley, Oregon.

Yes, I have heard that as well. However, having lived just north of Camas Valley for many years myself, I do not believe that is very likely. Whereas I know MANY people that have hybridized weed strains in the Humboldt and Mendocino area, as well as the Big Sur area for decades. Its a probability thing for me.

Big Sur

That story was put out years ago by Sierra Seeds and there hasn't been any validity to it at all. I'm sure there are a few people like ThaDocta and Nspectah can attest to this being false.

Well, I know a lot of people in California, and I lived up and down the coast in California from 1966 to 2006 from Sonoma to San Diego. From what I saw there and then, this makes more sense than anything else. I realize that 99% of what is said is pure BS when it comes to weed strains and the 90s in Sunny California. Everyone wants to make claims and take credit.

I could give some more specific examples here of who did what and when in California, in Oregon, and later in Amsterdam, but when I have done that here before, the mods have removed my posts and threatened to ban me. And not because my posts were not true, I have plenty of evidence to support and disprove many claims made on this site. But post the truth about some people here, and you simply get tossed.

Raco

secretion engineer
ICMag Donor
Veteran
the mods have removed my posts and threatened to ban me. And not because my posts were not true, I have plenty of evidence to support and disprove many claims made on this site. But post the truth about some people here, and you simply get tossed.

I´ve been reading your posts and found only one deleted... and for a good reason

You´re a liar and got the ban ...bye

MedResearcher

Veteran
Imo, High Times is packed full of BS. Just look at all the BS companies they sell advertising space to.

If they cared about the mag being legit, they would not publish all that crap. I still read one from time to time, get some entertainment, and look at some of the pictures.

OG is hard to say, blind guess I would go with Paki. Will be nice if the genome project can prove its origin.

Now Bubba... I would say is Afghani. I have heard long time breeders from the emerald triangle state that Bubba is one of the closest things to a pure Afghani you can find. Its changed over the years no doubt, I havent seen a good pre-98 style bubba in quite a while. I don't think the seeds went from Afghanistan to Florida to be grown indoors. More like Afghanistan to Cali, where it was inbred in the emerald triangle.

With the Dead concerts and festivals genetics spread across the US. The majority of the land races were collected and spread by surfers up and down the Cali coast. Then hybridized, inbred, etc.. and circulated by pounds and pounds of pot.

I do think Florida is in a key location for Caribbean and South American genetics via immigration. Just like Cali got Mexican genetics without making a huge voyage.

With the industry coming out of the shadows, more and more companies popping up claiming to be the creators of genetics that were bred for 1000's of years possible. To much hype, people should keep it real and try to prosper from hard work and honesty. Not a cool back story and trash talking on you tube.

Mr^^

Winjy

Please permit me to ask a tangential question - what is the 'pre-98' reference meant to imply? Was there some kind of major {biological, market, technological} change that happened around 1998?

MedResearcher

Veteran
Good question, not sure anyone can say for sure.

To me it was just a date put on the clone, stating that it was the original clone from before 1998. Over time, clones disappear, get lost. People find seeds in pounds or force female clones to make S1's. So eventually different variations of the genetics surface and circulate. Sometimes with a new name, sometimes with the same name. So the p-98 was like the official stamp that it was the pure variation from yesteryear. Although people can call a S1, or random bag seed p-98 and unless someone is familiar with the plant someone may never know.

The P-98 that we held, had very very wide leaves. Extreme amounts of resin on both the calyx and sugar leaves, flowered fast, had a sweet coffee smell on the flowers, and a fantastic incense smoke. The smoke itself would leave a room smelling amazing. I remember someone complaining that the pot tasted so good that they smoked to much of it.

Was that the real p-98.. ehh.. who knows! I do know that every Bubba I have seen since that cut has been similar but not even in the same ballpark. There are a couple clones that I really regret not holding onto, that p-98 was one of them. Global prohibition has been really rough on the gene pool, hopefully we see a shift and hopefully its not to late to see some of these really great genetics resurface again over time.

The breeding practices over time have changed so drastically. A bit from the 70-80's to now. Although if you think about the Afghan hills compared to now its a huge change. Entire towns growing huge populations for hash production, passing the seed down through generations. I read a hemp article about preserving genetics, it stated that in order to preserve the entire genetics in a line you would need to open pollinate 100,000 plants. Otherwise each generation you loose more and more genes. I have no idea if that is true. Way over my pay grade, but even if that is half or a tenth true you can see why the genetics have began to bottleneck and the really great plants are from yesteryear. I imagine the average breeder today grows out 100 or less plant population. Many more like 6 or 10.

Mr^^

Hrpuffnkush

Golden Coast
Veteran
Please permit me to ask a tangential question - what is the 'pre-98' reference meant to imply? Was there some kind of major {biological, market, technological} change that happened around 1998?

Was to distingushish the real bubba from the imposters that came later .. ghani has a lot to do with it .. , ghani#1 leaves its marks wich ever way its crossed very dominate gene .... master and bubba are vitrually identical , bubba has more bazooka joe tones where master is more coffee tones other wise there same lineage , could be that bubba could be an s1 from master , or i bet ya get close with a master bubblegum or ghani bubble gum

Genghis Kush

the development of the internet and ability to make contact with others and exchange seeds, clones and ideas changed everything

Medfinder

Chemon 91
because we're talking bubba...

myself getting many different bubba's over the past 12 years from dispensaries in socal friends from different forums.

afgan seems to be the dominant answer on bubba.

what i noticed the difference in the BOG line of bubble.

different taste stone and smell. here is an sour bubble 4 in veg

picture.php

while bubba kush..

picture.php

in any case now legal cannabis in california has taken off!!

Nurseries with trees up to 8 feet for any resident 18 years or older

if all this nurserys are legit? hmm... time while tell :tiphat:

H

HemperorsKnight

Yeah afghan has to be considering the video of that cat by the nickname bubba says that bubba is northern lights just renamed I read on the northern lights strain and it's said to either come from cali or Washington state but it is a afghan kinda like Tom hills deep chunk

Hmmm.... makes me now wonder how much afghan is in the OG

The votes on this thread seem to agree that afghan is in og and not paki shits gettin real now lol

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Latest posts