What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

OG Kush heritage?

OG Kush heritage?

• Afghanistan

Votes: 40 57.1%
  • Pakistan

Votes: 30 42.9%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

Apache Kush

OG Kush makes up the genetic backbone of West Coast cannabis varieties, but in spite of its ubiquity, its origins remain a debatable mystery. Popular myth maintains that Chemdawg and an indica Hindu Kush parented OG Kush, passing on the distinct “kush” bud structure we see in many strains today. Other theories throw Lemon Thai genetics into the genetic mix, but no one can say for sure how this iconic strain came into existence. There are many different phenotypes of OG Kush, some of which include Tahoe OG, SFV OG, and Alpha OG.

Whatever its true genetics may be, OG Kush is commonly described as sativa-like in its euphoric and happy effects that combat stress and anxiety. It has an earthy pine scent with woody undertones, an aroma that has become the signature of OG Kush varieties and descendants. With OG Kush, patients most commonly cite improvements in migraines, ADD/ADHD, and stress disorders. It has an indoor flowering time of 8 to 9 weeks with moderate yields.

https://www.leafly.com/hybrid/og-kush

^Afagani.. paki its all the same mtn. range right?!? where the god bud came from,
well I saw Savages and apparently Director Oliver Stone belives it was a USMC solider
with genetics from Diarrheastain imported to Cali

Afagani.. paki its all the same mtn. range right?!? where the god bud came from,
well I saw Savages and apparently Director Oliver Stone belives it was a USMC solider
with genetics from Diarrheastain imported to Cali

There is a reasonable difference between the two landraces. Concerning God Bud, one would have to guess what they feel Canadians were working with more at the time, I contend they would lean towards Pakistan as most North Americans did eventually, but there is a great chance Afghani strains were more a part of earlier Canadian craft. If we compare the region to sativas nearby I would agree Pakistan is a contender for a sativa comparison, but I don't feel Pakistani is the dominant sativa trait in OG Kush.

Last edited:

VerdantGreen

Genetics Facilitator
Boutique Breeder
Mentor
ICMag Donor
Veteran
interesting question, bump, there is a big range of plants representing both. 'gani can go from cabbage like Deep chunk to the much taller and vigorous such as MLI... and you get both types from pakistan as well afaik. then you have Uzbekistan where there are some monster hashplants too.

The OGK abusive looks kind of paki in the leaves... but then again some peeps dont think thats a typical OG.

it will be interesting to hear what people think.

VG

Psi Haze

my guess is that it has Pakistani and Mexican mixed sativa genetics in it. I grew up in Los Angeles, CA smoking kushs and compressed in the early 90s and what I remember of "OG Kush" then and now.

:laughing: those terms are referring only to locations of growing cannabis and these locations can include multiple varities which are differing from valley to valley, so that question seems to me like senseless, but i dont want to ruin you party, dont care about me :biggrin:

:tiphat:

By your logic there was an equal amount of variety being exported and a vast selection from which breeders were working with in the U.S. during the time when OG Kush was created. It would seem misleading to state there is a great import pool to choose from then or even now. Reasonably, one might find more variation coming out of Nepal which begs the question "Is a cannabis producing region with insular tribal restrictions more apt to segregate genetics?" or do those social factors have zero to do with propagation?

maybe both?

Let's think late 80's and what hybrids if any were depending on Pakistani genetics, we do see that occuring late 90's, yet it would seem plausible for Afghani genes to have had enough time in gardens since as early as '76, a breeder might feel more comfortable using the familiar and wider established.

I suppose I am insinuating that Pakistani traits aren't exploited wholesale until the purple craze, but some would argue in the same spirit that blueberry might not throw Afghani traits and is rather leaning Pakistan. Point being DJ was arguably working with Afghani. I agree this comes across as a borderline dullard debate which could be applied to the Floral line, the illusive OPT or even Haze coloration and whether the Indian component is southern or northern. I don't mean to seem manipulative or act entertained at chasing tails, I just value a wide spectrum of the growers theories at International Cannagraphic.

harry74

Veteran
Some valley not far from the border may be; chitral valley is in pakistan but touching the border. Could be from Gilgit mountains.
I would say that is Pashtun genetics as they live in both sides of the border and they didn´t draw the border.
I think were the British.....

Old Sensi Seeds Hindu Kush, Old DP MasterKush who knows.

Storm Shadow

Veteran
You put your right foot in.... you put your left out....you shake it really hard ...then you do an all about....and do the Hoki Pokey ... Lah la la ...that's what its all about...

While your at it...... what came first... Chicken or the Egg?

so whats the difference between paki and afghani? paki = purple? afghani = green?

describe for me the difference between afghani and paki.

describe the characteristics of og kush.

is there a venn diagram in the middle?

does a san marzano tomato look more peruvian or chilean?
Wouldn't the correct question be which cultivars Americans were working with and the difference between their Pakistani and Afghani?

The difference begs a time frame. Afghani #1? Circa '76 or '78? and is the alleged Pakistan in OG Kush relative in the American grow matrix around the late '80's - early '90's. OG Kush coming from a rare or arguably less potent Pakistani plant gives rise to skepticism. So what other American varieties at the time were using the Pakistan or should we bellieve OG Kush creators were hording an unworked line from Pakistan? If a California quotient is the case why not look towards the similiarites in Deep Chunk, the time frame seems reasonable.

I think dialogue is our method towards probability through consensus and respect. A step and fetch it attitude towards others shows an unwillingness towards offering opinion and a penchant for the habit to shoot down the fact checking of others.

If you need the OG Kush described to you this might not be a hot convo choice nor will the outcome achieve your satisfaction. Tomato, gingerly off-topic, but Mexico/Central America via Spaniards, Peru minus the incorrect royal history since we are fact checking and Naples to be certain.

Last edited:

Hugh Midity

Veteran
I don't have a clue but human nature being what it is I can't imagine whoever is responsible staying quiet for all these years. someone's story is likely legitimate. but who's?

i
The OGK abusive looks kind of paki in the leaves... but then again some peeps dont think thats a typical OG.
VG
Fingers do resemble the greater differences surface after cure, but the pistil output isn't so relative and I would say the Abusive is more wet. I agree its not a typical OG, but I'm still a fan and the resulting affects might make one question how much sativa was introduced to achieve the final hybrid.

Some valley not far from the border may be; chitral valley is in pakistan but touching the border. Could be from Gilgit mountains.
I would say that is Pashtun genetics as they live in both sides of the border and they didn´t draw the border.
I think were the British.....

Old Sensi Seeds Hindu Kush, Old DP MasterKush who knows.

Those older worked Hindu Kush varieties of Dutch invention might not be so related to the OG, but I do like the possibility or relation of Master Kush components which also reminds me of Verdant's post about the Abusive and a possible relation between it and Master, but beyond that veers into Bubba territory.

The Peshawar, Pashtun, Kandahar idea puts me in the mind of soldiers bringing back stock and its true a soldier could wind up deeper than a hippy on pot-quest, then again a soldier has a completely different objective which is why I usually question any outrageous claims of potency related to strains associated with the military. Vietnam is a different story.

TheRealHash

Horticultural enthusiast
ICMag Donor
Veteran
I don't have a clue but human nature being what it is I can't imagine whoever is responsible staying quiet for all these years. someone's story is likely legitimate. but who's?

Chemdogs story is legit :kos:

The question is where did the seeds come from.. I'm guessing afghani, could be paki though.. It's definitely kush from the kush mountains.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Latest posts