What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Off the shelf retail store screw-in LED and CFL bulb comparisons

Safe Gardener

nice and tidy. well done

Thanks! I didn't get to it last night but I'll get a few pics of the cab it's going in. I also have a smaller medicine cabinet converted to a seed run cab that I'll post pictures of. It's just .8sq/ft with three SIL's. Works nicely for small seed runs or any other stuff one might want a small cab for.

SG

PCBuds

Apparently, if you crop the picture it removes the orientation information from the picture so it won't get flipped and when you upload a picture to this forum all the info. like geo-tagging is stripped to help protect your identity.

PCBuds

PCBuds, thanks for flipping my pic for me! I took it on my cell phone and apparently I had the phone upsidedown when I took it. Tonight I'll take some better pics of the fixture and where it'll be used.

SG

I don't know if you have to rotate your phone to the right or to the left for the picture to be interpreted as upside down?

Safe Gardener

Apparently, if you crop the picture it removes the orientation information from the picture so it won't get flipped and when you upload a picture to this forum all the info. like geo-tagging is stripped to help protect your identity.

Shit, I didn't even think of all the info attached to the pic! Thank you ICMAG for looking out for us!

Sunshineinabag

I need to take an electrical apprentishship program .....i can see a chitload of potential in what we have been playing with in this thread.

PCBuds

I need to take an electrical apprentishship program .....i can see a chitload of potential in what we have been playing with in this thread.

Here's some more info.

In ordinary house wiring, the white wire is neutral, the black wire is line and the bare copper wire is ground.

Light sockets have two colors of screws.
The silver screw is neutral and the gold screw is line.

The silver screw connects to the threaded part of the socket and the gold screw connects to the center terminal inside the socket.
The ground wire connects under a screw inside the metal electrical box that the light socket mounts to.

If you mix up line and neutral on a light socket, the threaded part of the socket is "live" and if you touch the base of the bulb, you can get a shock if you are grounded well enough.

Even if you unscrew the bulb far enough that it goes out, you could get a shock because the threaded part of the light bulb is still in contact with the threaded metal part of the socket.

On polarized two-prong plugs, the fat blade is neutral and the skinny blade is line.

The wire coming from the fat blade has ridges on its surface and the wire from the skinny blade (line) is smooth.

That identifies the two wires along each wire.

q3corn

Thanks for the easy rundown, PCBuds!

I got to looking at new bulbs since I think my 14w SIL's are just too hot for my little cabs.

I'm sure it's already been discussed in this nearly-400-page thread, but I'm not sure any newbies will dig that far back. Is there an optimum lumen-per-square-foot goal to have, rather than watts-per-square-foot? Right now with 2 of my 3 bulbs on I'm running about 3000lumens in my 1sqft cab, and it *seems* to be plenty bright. Putting that 3rd bulb on during flower knocks it up to 4500 lumens and plenty of heat. I think the heat is my issue at this point.

So my question is: should I try to keep my 4500 lumen levels with more lights, or do you guys suppose I can get some 10w bulbs with roughly 900 lumens each and still have plenty of light? Would it be worth to mount 2 more bulbs?

indagroove

Veteran
Thanks for the easy rundown, PCBuds!

I got to looking at new bulbs since I think my 14w SIL's are just too hot for my little cabs.

I'm sure it's already been discussed in this nearly-400-page thread, but I'm not sure any newbies will dig that far back. Is there an optimum lumen-per-square-foot goal to have, rather than watts-per-square-foot? Right now with 2 of my 3 bulbs on I'm running about 3000lumens in my 1sqft cab, and it *seems* to be plenty bright. Putting that 3rd bulb on during flower knocks it up to 4500 lumens and plenty of heat. I think the heat is my issue at this point.

So my question is: should I try to keep my 4500 lumen levels with more lights, or do you guys suppose I can get some 10w bulbs with roughly 900 lumens each and still have plenty of light? Would it be worth to mount 2 more bulbs?

https://www.growmedical420.com/how-many-lumens-or-watts-per-square-foot-of-light-do-i-need/

Safe Gardener

A couple pics of my cabs

A couple pics of my cabs

Flower cab, might put a light up top to have two 18"x24"x35" chambers.

The back panel is being replaced with 1/4" plywood and one or two exhaust holes will send all the air through a DIY carbon filter.

Attachments

• IMG_20200122_202324.jpg
    IMG_20200122_202324.jpg
    50.3 KB · Views: 21
  • IMG_20200123_074224.jpg
    IMG_20200123_074224.jpg
    53.9 KB · Views: 20
  • IMG_20200123_074236.jpg
    IMG_20200123_074236.jpg
    29.6 KB · Views: 20
  • IMG_20200123_074245.jpg
    IMG_20200123_074245.jpg
    31.8 KB · Views: 19
  • IMG_20200123_074317.jpg
    IMG_20200123_074317.jpg
    56.2 KB · Views: 18

Safe Gardener

Medicine cabinet seed run cab

Medicine cabinet seed run cab

Here's the .8sq/ft seed run cab. Or micro flower cab. Haha

Both need a good cleaning before going back into service.

SG

Attachments

• IMG_20200123_074335.jpg
    IMG_20200123_074335.jpg
    62.9 KB · Views: 12
  • IMG_20200123_074348.jpg
    IMG_20200123_074348.jpg
    44.5 KB · Views: 15
  • IMG_20200123_074356.jpg
    IMG_20200123_074356.jpg
    26.5 KB · Views: 17

Sunshineinabag

Can i ask the guys with several of these sils grows under their belts........Hypothetic type situ btw......If you could put a board of these sils together for say a 5 x 5 type size tent....can these compete with the bigger boards that so pricey? I just want honest opinions from experianced growers who have no real "dog in the fight" sorta speak. Ive had SEVERAL people laugh at me when i show them the bulbs i use to grow, (they all expect if you dont have a timber cob or 600-1000 w hid your inept) ive grown 4 gardens with sils, with BEAUTIFUL results......i guess ignorance is bliss?

repuk

Altruistic Hazeist
Veteran
@Sunshineinabag: decent quality SILs can compete and in fact they'll either be on par, or win. But obviously this isn't appealing to the industry... or to those that already spent hundreds or thousands in a commercial LED fixture.

I run a test back in 2018, SILs vs HPS vs HML vs COB, see mi sig. SILs yielded 1.5-1.6GPW consistently.

Specially inside a cramped indoor or tent, SILs will run everything much cooler, and grow the most beautiful buds.

Only reason I use the HPS indoors is to aid in heating it in winter. And my HML and COB, because I already have them.

I wouldn't build a single SILs timber grid though, unless you plan to grow a huge single plant, or multiple cuts of the same one; instead would have 4 of them, this way you can dial in the canopy distance and arrange the plants for optimal canopy distance, as you train and later flower them which IMO is, in addition to training, the key for success: table shaped canopies (be it SCROG, or Training) + SILs grid.

Is it commercial LED fixtures what cannot compete with SILs: not in price/performance, and much less convenience wise: heavy heatsinks depending on models, form factors, drivers...

ScrogMonster

Veteran
Here's the .8sq/ft seed run cab. Or micro flower cab. Haha

Both need a good cleaning before going back into service.

SG

Sexy Cab's Safe Gardener! I kinda want to make a medicine size cab like that one. Maybe just a little smaller. Just for fun for a tiny little SOG.

Safe Gardener

Sexy Cab's Safe Gardener! I kinda want to make a medicine size cab like that one. Maybe just a little smaller. Just for fun for a tiny little SOG.

Thanks a lot ScrogMonster. It usually is run in a SOG type style. I have a 4"x13" box/pot of soil that I put 3-5 small clones in. And flip to flower immediately. So far height hasn't been an issue. After my next couple seed runs (I like to have extra seeds because I'm not the best at germination (especially this time of year)) I want to put a scrog net a few inches above the soil and see how much I can pull out of this little guy.

SG