What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Off the shelf retail store screw-in LED and CFL bulb comparisons

Hookahhead

Has anyone joined the 50 real watt 6500k color 5000 lumen club? Amazon has them for15 $each and those plastic reflector tops are very easy to pop off https://www.amazon.com/NUNUA-Commer...+bulb+6500k&qid=1579555397&sr=8-27&th=1&psc=1 I also like the 40 watt ones for flower but I haven't needed them since I have 2 600 and a 1000 hid lamps also a 250 mh for veg but these little led help keep the veg time at 24 hours for less$$ they make great supplemental light for flower with a 1000 hps just to add that extra bit of different spectrum

Do you have a photo of one you popped the plastic cover off of? The listing says that it’s a “corn” bulb. From my understanding this is what it looks like on the inside.

11012024301-13.jpg

PCBuds

^^^ What Hookahhead said.

The advantage of removing the globes with normal SILs is to allow more lumens to get out and it becomes directional so you can beam all the light energy directly at the plant.

(Although the new glass globe SILs appear to be "corn" style too)

Hookahhead

The reason why I ask is that I recently bought a 50w LED locally to replace a 85w CFL security light. It’s huge compared to the ones I’m used to.

picture.php

It’s only advertised as 4000 lumen (80 lm/w) though.

picture.php

Here it is backlit with a cellphone LED, I’m guessing this is a cob style unit. Unfortunately I won’t be popping off the top to see.

picture.php

Medfinder

Chemon 91
Do you have a photo of one you popped the plastic cover off of? The listing says that it’s a “corn” bulb. From my understanding this is what it looks like on the inside.

View Image

15 watt standard e27 screw bulb base in 5000 k vedge...or 2700 for flowering..

Here spot and regular with covers removed u can find 2-7 to one bulb trees on ebay

Attachments

• IMG_20200120_175253.jpg
    IMG_20200120_175253.jpg
    51.1 KB · Views: 13

PCBuds

... Unfortunately I won’t be popping off the top to see.

Just drill a little hole and take a peek.
You can tape it up afterward.
I wanna know what's inside. Lol ��

You could replace your globe with one of these to make it brighter.
Then we all get to see what's inside! Lol ��

Last edited:

f-e

Mentor
Veteran
Here's my take on it...

The latest generation of LEDs have reached 200 lumens per Watt and the newer off the shelf LED SILs are at least 175 lm/Watt and are a few bucks apiece.

HID, HPS and MH lamps are roughly 35% efficient with 65% heat.

LEDs are roughly 65% efficient with 35% heat.

You can run LEDs for about half the energy cost and half the heat to deal with.
(actually, about 1/4 of the heat because you're getting the same luminous output with half the Watts.
Although you have to spend the money to convert.)

Your numbers look a little off pal. A 150lm/w sodium only turns 22% of the power into par light. At 200lm/w, an led is 33% better, with about 30% turned to visible light. Physics suggests white leds might reach around 40% efficient. Or 260-300 lm/w.

70% leaves an led as heat, and 78% leaves the 600 as heat. Just 10% more. The 600 radiates heat though. Information is a bit patchy, but perhaps 35-40% of the energy consumed leaves as radiant heat, traveling along with the 22% that left as light. So the sodium is putting more heat energy than light energy upon the plants. Close to twice as much.
The LED looses most of it's heat to the air around it. About 10% leaves as radiant heat, along with the 30% that leaves as light. So 3 times more light reaches the plant than radiant heat. That is over a 5 fold difference in the heat energy that accompanies the light energy. That is a difference we can really feel. Much greater than the 10% difference in actual heat generated suggests. Most of the leds heat leaves as hot air, which is quickly extracted away, without having been near the plants.

PCBuds

Your numbers look a little off pal. A 150lm/w sodium only turns 22% of the power into par light. At 200lm/w, an led is 33% better, with about 30% turned to visible light. Physics suggests white leds might reach around 40% efficient. Or 260-300 lm/w.

70% leaves an led as heat, and 78% leaves the 600 as heat. Just 10% more. The 600 radiates heat though. Information is a bit patchy, but perhaps 35-40% of the energy consumed leaves as radiant heat, traveling along with the 22% that left as light. So the sodium is putting more heat energy than light energy upon the plants. Close to twice as much.
The LED looses most of it's heat to the air around it. About 10% leaves as radiant heat, along with the 30% that leaves as light. So 3 times more light reaches the plant than radiant heat. That is over a 5 fold difference in the heat energy that accompanies the light energy. That is a difference we can really feel. Much greater than the 10% difference in actual heat generated suggests. Most of the leds heat leaves as hot air, which is quickly extracted away, without having been near the plants.

I'm trying to wrap my head around that.

(I was quoting the LED Gardner on the 65/35 thing. I've never used HID Sodium or MH)

So lumens/watt is kind of a total of all photons given off by a light source and par light is the amount of useable/visible photons given off?

Is par light bases on human vision or what a plant can use?

Is radiant heat useful to cannabis other than to keep it warm?

How would Medfinder's plant be doing if it was under a 60 Watt sodium?

It sounds like rolandamota is running 2,200 Watts for flower.
Wouldn't he be better off with 2,200 Watts of SILs?

Last edited:

PCBuds

Has anyone joined the 50 real watt 6500k color 5000 lumen club? Amazon has them for15 $each and those plastic reflector tops are very easy to pop off https://www.amazon.com/NUNUA-Commer...+bulb+6500k&qid=1579555397&sr=8-27&th=1&psc=1 I also like the 40 watt ones for flower but I haven't needed them since I have 2 600 and a 1000 hid lamps also a 250 mh for veg but these little led help keep the veg time at 24 hours for less$$ they make great supplemental light for flower with a 1000 hps just to add that extra bit of different spectrum

I like this one.

It's directional and you can aim the wings where you want to beam the light.

It's 100 lm/w so with the covers off, it should be 130-140 lm/w so 7,800-8,400 total lumens.

Last edited:

Medfinder

Chemon 91
4 to 1 spilters.. with 15watt 2700 lumin...on a harbour freight light string... under 120 bucks for set up

Chemon 91s in back...

Attachments

• IMG_20200120_212448.jpg
    IMG_20200120_212448.jpg
    128.9 KB · Views: 20

PCBuds

I bought this 5-way splitter for ~$7 and half a dozen 2-way splitters for ~$2 each off eBay.

I didn't like them.
I couldn't aim the bulbs and they are cheap pieces of crap.
The 2-way splitters broke in half when I screwed in the bulbs and they just felt dangerous.

So I bought this one from Amazon.

It was 20 bucks but it was built way better and can handle up to 300 Watts.

I think Amazon is less inclined to sell you something that might burn down your house and you don't have to wait three months for it to ship from China. Lol 😆

PCBuds

Your numbers look a little off pal... Physics suggests white leds might reach around 40% efficient. Or 260-300 lm/w.

70% leaves an led as heat, ..

It's claims like this that have me confused.

They're saying 81% efficiency.

Does that mean blue LEDs can reach 81% efficiency or they now reach 81% of the maximum 40% efficiency that physics allows?

Im'One

Heres the sylvania 100 watt dimmable with glass globe off...you see.its purple because the great value bulbs with the globe.off went wonky

Attachments

• IMG_20200119_190620.jpg
    IMG_20200119_190620.jpg
    32.8 KB · Views: 15

Im'One

My set up is 12 100 watt @11 watt actual with 66% at 6000k 33% @ 6500k And 3 42 watt cfls.mixed 2700 and 5000 Its a 12 sq foot.space i needed.more.so.i.added a 48.inch shop.light @4000k and 40 watts, then more 5000k cfls to.bring ne close.to 400 watts. Thats about all i can do.
I dont know.how to.daisy chain these vanity light bars to.use fewer outlets?
And.i hate this.keyboard app...omg

Legalcdn

My set up is 12 100 watt @11 watt actual with 66% at 6000k 33% @ 6500k And 3 42 watt cfls.mixed 2700 and 5000 Its a 12 sq foot.space i needed.more.so.i.added a 48.inch shop.light @4000k and 40 watts, then more 5000k cfls to.bring ne close.to 400 watts. Thats about all i can do.
I dont know.how to.daisy chain these vanity light bars to.use fewer outlets?
And.i hate this.keyboard app...omg

Daisy chaining is simple..instead of twisting power cord wires (3 prong always) and 1 vanity wire..add second vanity wire to platic connector.. even easier is buying WAGOs to connect.. i chained 2 sets of 2 (total of 4 vanities chained). Computer power cords are good to cut and use.

If you want it easier..buy incandescent string lights from home depot and attach to frame..12 string or 24 string ..hampton ones are $50.. buy leds..take top off..good to go..also..string lights are good supplemental lights on perimeter.

f-e

Mentor
Veteran
I'm trying to wrap my head around that.

(I was quoting the LED Gardner on the 65/35 thing. I've never used HID Sodium or MH)

So lumens/watt is kind of a total of all photons given off by a light source and par light is the amount of useable/visible photons given off?

Is par light bases on human vision or what a plant can use?

Is radiant heat useful to cannabis other than to keep it warm?

How would Medfinder's plant be doing if it was under a 60 Watt sodium?

It sounds like rolandamota is running 2,200 Watts for flower.
Wouldn't he be better off with 2,200 Watts of SILs?

Par light is the photons we see, and measure as lumens from the lamp or lux at the plants. Two very relatable terms, as X number of lumens from the lamp, illuminates a meter to the same X number of lux. If you could actually get them from lamp to canopy so perfectly.

The IR useful? Well it drives fluid movements through transpiration, which is the main way some elements of our feed move about. So a calcium issue might be the first thing we see from a lack of IR. Though there are other ways to heat a plant or fan moisture away. Many of our indoor feeds were formulated under hids so that IR is part of feeding correctly when using such feeds. It's reduction through the use of leds, has seen many people increase feed strength by 40% to support the same growth pattern. These hot lights also produce far red, where we can consider the emmerson effect. Which won't be so pronounced if the lights don't get stinking hot. So light just out of our visual spectrum is certainly useful. I'm supplementing my leds with incandescent lamps, to get a little more elongation.

2200w of hid verse 2200w of reasonable led? He might get a crop out using the hids, before he has finished wiring the leds :)

Medfinders plant is really quite impressive for 60 spread over such an area. A 70w sodium grow, being a single point of light, would be very different. But they are barely 100lm/w at that size. I rooted cuttings in a 50x50 kitchen cupboard with one, but added an 80w mercury egg before they would grow on. I have one sat on my scrap pile with a 150. I don't want to use 100lm/w sodium lamps, now that I have a number of these led lamps and a couple of the nice positional spider like adapters. I still have them at 250 400 and 600 though. Plus QB's and cobs. These little 14w lamps are just that.

Sunshineinabag

im of the mindset that not only are these just as good as the "boards" being sold.....in the right hands they are better! I know i know but i see so much sweet progress with these sils.....am i wrong>?

PCBuds

... I dont know.how to.daisy chain these vanity light bars to.use fewer outlets?

This might help you visualize it.

Ignore the switch, that would just be your 3-prong cord end that plugs into the outlet.

The ground wires would have three wires connected together as well, with the third wire going to the ground of the fixture.

Repeat the wiring of the bulb socket on the left to add more.

Use cut pieces of your cord to interconnect each vanity light.

If you use mar connectors as shown, twist them on, then pull on them to make sure they don't pull off, then wrap them with electrical tape.