What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Off the shelf retail store screw-in LED and CFL bulb comparisons

Sunshineinabag

cooler heads prevail!

cooler heads prevail!

@Sunshineinabag: decent quality SILs can compete and in fact they'll either be on par, or win. But obviously this isn't appealing to the industry... or to those that already spent hundreds or thousands in a commercial LED fixture.

I run a test back in 2018, SILs vs HPS vs HML vs COB, see mi sig. SILs yielded 1.5-1.6GPW consistently.

Specially inside a cramped indoor or tent, SILs will run everything much cooler, and grow the most beautiful buds.

Only reason I use the HPS indoors is to aid in heating it in winter. And my HML and COB, because I already have them.

I wouldn't build a single SILs timber grid though, unless you plan to grow a huge single plant, or multiple cuts of the same one; instead would have 4 of them, this way you can dial in the canopy distance and arrange the plants for optimal canopy distance, as you train and later flower them which IMO is, in addition to training, the key for success: table shaped canopies (be it SCROG, or Training) + SILs grid.

Is it commercial LED fixtures what cannot compete with SILs: not in price/performance, and much less convenience wise: heavy heatsinks depending on models, form factors, drivers...

NAMASTE!
i got goosebumps reading this post ^^^^^^^^

ScrogMonster

Veteran
Thanks a lot ScrogMonster. It usually is run in a SOG type style. I have a 4"x13" box/pot of soil that I put 3-5 small clones in. And flip to flower immediately. So far height hasn't been an issue. After my next couple seed runs (I like to have extra seeds because I'm not the best at germination (especially this time of year)) I want to put a scrog net a few inches above the soil and see how much I can pull out of this little guy.

SG

Do you have a diary or pics somewhere?! I'd love to see that grow. :dance013:

ScrogMonster

Veteran
I don't. I'm not in a friendly state and am not comfortable putting pics of plants I'm the internet. I don't even take pics of the plants at all because I don't want them on my phone. Sorry man.

I feel you bro. I had 8 years worth of bi weekly cycles that that I never posted about for the same reason. Then I moved to the west coast.

Safe Gardener

I feel you bro. I had 8 years worth of bi weekly cycles that that I never posted about for the same reason. Then I moved to the west coast.

My wife is currently looking for a new job and several of the ones she's looking at are in legal states. If we make the move to one, believe me it's on like Donkey Kong!

PCBuds

@Sunshineinabag: decent quality SILs can compete and in fact they'll either be on par, or win. But obviously this isn't appealing to the industry... or to those that already spent hundreds or thousands in a commercial LED fixture.

I run a test back in 2018, SILs vs HPS vs HML vs COB, see mi sig. SILs yielded 1.5-1.6GPW consistently.

Specially inside a cramped indoor or tent, SILs will run everything much cooler, and grow the most beautiful buds.

Only reason I use the HPS indoors is to aid in heating it in winter. And my HML and COB, because I already have them.

I wouldn't build a single SILs timber grid though, unless you plan to grow a huge single plant, or multiple cuts of the same one; instead would have 4 of them, this way you can dial in the canopy distance and arrange the plants for optimal canopy distance, as you train and later flower them which IMO is, in addition to training, the key for success: table shaped canopies (be it SCROG, or Training) + SILs grid.

Is it commercial LED fixtures what cannot compete with SILs: not in price/performance, and much less convenience wise: heavy heatsinks depending on models, form factors, drivers...

This post is pure gold.

Thanks, repuk !! :tiphat:

q3corn

Anyone have experience with more compact bulb formats, like GU10 and GU24? I'm thinking of experimenting with some of those to increase the vertical space I have in a seedling/clone cabinet.

repuk

Altruistic Hazeist
Veteran
Same for me, you can check in my thread, better not exceed with those little bulbs

30-35W Is undoubtely the sweet spot (on micro and tents). Go higher and you go past the point of diminishing retuns.

I have moved and have a whole room just for growing. And still, I won't be going past 30W, it yields 1.5gpw easily, why spend more money in electricity? (and need more powerful fans which in turn consume more electricity ruining your gpw?

One aspect of SILs that engaged me is that they're possibly the most sustainable way of growing indoors, if of course, you dial it.

q3corn

hallo friends
so 35 w/sqft
better 2x18W/sqft or 4x9W/sqft ?
than k

Depending on how hot they run, I would do the 4x9w since they'll keep your space from heating up so much, and since they're spaced out more you'll be able to get your plants just that much closer to the buds.

I run 2 or 3 14watt bulbs and have to keep about 5" of distance before things start to burn

piramidon

recidivist icmag - OUT-ist convins - microgrower
Veteran
Anyone have experience with more compact bulb formats, like GU10 and GU24? I'm thinking of experimenting with some of those to increase the vertical space I have in a seedling/clone cabinet.

No, not much experience with those but they're almost the same, dimension wise, maybe will save you 5-10mm (1/4 to 1/2 inch) in height. I would check the size first, fixture included (socket) and compare with SIL, perhaps just buy one piece to check the heat output, which I think might be bigger on GU's. Or I just might be wrong..
I'm stoned after all... :biggrin:
Bu still recomend size and heat check, just to be sure. :tiphat:

f-e

Mentor
Veteran
What lamp is 18w? Generally we are talking about leds produced to replace incandescent lamps here. Lamps that came as 25-40-60 & 100w for general service. The 100w is now 1500 lumen lamp. This can be done readily with 12w, often 14w, and can be more if you buy old tech that's low on efficiency. As much as 18w can be used to make them 1500 lumen's. Which would grow no more than the typical 14w 1500 lumen lamp, or the 12w one. But beside them, it's using extra power to just produce heat with.

Many people here are using the cheapest of lamps, that don't meet the lumen per watt figures provided by others.

Lets look at 3 lamps per foot, of the 1500 lumen variety. That's almost 33 lamps per meter, or almost 49,500 lumen. Divide by 65 for white leds, gives us over 750ppfd with a reasonable degree of accuracy. It doesn't matter if the 3 lamps were 12w giving us 36w a foot, or 18w lamps giving us 54w per foot. It's the same amount of light. Just with more heat.

Big healthy plants veg at 350-500 ppfd. Which you can expect 3 lamps per foot to achieve, even with monumental losses. In reality, I struggled at 500ppfd. My self worth suffered. Everything had to be perfect, but I had more than one type of plant to meet the needs of. It was an acceptable failure, and down to 350 I'm getting very good growth. That is 350ppfd, 24/7. So like 500ppfd 18/6.

I would veg with one lamp to start off, and do most of the veg period with two. Using them 24/7 because it's nice to be able to visit as you please. Then three lamps to flower. All 1500 lumen lamps, of the lowest power rating you can afford.

f-e

Mentor
Veteran
Thanks lads, and a great example PCBuds. That is neither stretching for the light, or producing overly large leaves to catch more of it.

Look how quick it perked up with another lamp lol