What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Off the shelf retail store screw-in LED and CFL bulb comparisons

PCBuds

im of the mindset that not only are these just as good as the "boards" being sold.....in the right hands they are better! I know i know but i see so much sweet progress with these sils.....am i wrong>?

I agree, and you pay through the nose if they're labelled "Grow Lights".

Sunshineinabag

you guys will prob think im nuts but ive been trying to source 5 headed lamps
they have bendable heads that look like conduit from electrical jobsites. Ive got two so far because i scared to death to wire my own board with several sockets available, if i had someone like blynx close to me id have to have them walk me through it in person hands on kinda thing then id have it seared into my memory ....thats how i learn best. Its been a rough go learning cyber ettiquette, and understanding the nuances of canna communities as a whole online. I am shocked more folks dont go with these bulbs. My journals are NOTHING but sils grows ....and with the exception of a vert placed 315 cmh ive gotten from a local friend i intend to use the 5000k 6000k and the lower 2-3000k with the higher end CRI =color rendering index

Sunshineinabag

the first one the multi head....bought it......not the best built product imho.....the metal threading inside idk if its UL listed but id prob grab one that is.....mine fell apart and was trashy. Those conduit type extenders though......they look noice.......Im thinking its best to buy ones that are well built and maybe alil more pricey

PCBuds

Go with Amazon.

You'll pay more but they don't sell the crap versions that eBay does.

Same with the five-way adjustable splitter.

I went with this one.

Im'One

This might help you visualize it.

View Image

Ignore the switch, that would just be your 3-prong cord end that plugs into the outlet.

The ground wires would have three wires connected together as well, with the third wire going to the ground of the fixture.

Repeat the wiring of the bulb socket on the left to add more.

Use cut pieces of your cord to interconnect each vanity light.

If you use mar connectors as shown, twist them on, then pull on them to make sure they don't pull off, then wrap them with electrical tape.
Ok thanks, the.lights currently have three sockets daisy chained but each three socket.light bar has a plug...i wanted to.run 6.or.9 on one plug...i guess i need to.run the cord from one to the actual socket of the next? I wasnt sure if running a split would.work?.also these bulbs being inly 11 watts.means i can run 6.or 9 on one plug right?
Ill.....try to.post a photo tonight. Is the verdict still out in the light color? I tried to go.with as many spectrums as possible...2700 to 6500

Hookahhead

It’s been a while since I’ve needed one, but they normally sell these at big box hardware stores. It allows you to add an electrical outlet to a light socket. You can still screw in a light bulb too.

31yIQPVbqlL._SL500_.jpg

You could use this to daisy chain your lights without cutting any wires. Honestly though I don’t think it should be hard to open it up and splice in the cord of the next light.

PCBuds

Ok thanks, the.lights currently have three sockets daisy chained but each three socket.light bar has a plug...i wanted to.run 6.or.9 on one plug...i guess i need to.run the cord from one to the actual socket of the next? I wasnt sure if running a split would.work?.also these bulbs being inly 11 watts.means i can run 6.or 9 on one plug right?
Ill.....try to.post a photo tonight. Is the verdict still out in the light color? I tried to go.with as many spectrums as possible...2700 to 6500

You would basically cut all three cords off the three vanity lights with enough length to connect them all together.

Then you would join all the three same colored wires together along with one of the cords you cut off.

So four wires into one mar connector.

Like this...

You'll have three wires to do though because your vanity lights are grounded.

Those vanity lights are almost certainly designed to handle incandescent bulbs so the 11 Watt SILs will be no problem.

I'm pretty sure the consensus is a mix of different spectrum bulbs.

PCBuds

It’s been a while since I’ve needed one, but they normally sell these at big box hardware stores. It allows you to add an electrical outlet to a light socket. You can still screw in a light bulb too.

View Image

You could use this to daisy chain your lights without cutting any wires. Honestly though I don’t think it should be hard to open it up and splice in the cord of the next light.

Oh yeah!! Good idea.

PCBuds

Hookahhead's method of opening-up one vanity and doing the splicing of the other two cords inside the one vanity would make your wires neat and tidy.

You'd have to maybe drill two holes in the one vanity to feed the two cords in.

Legalcdn

In a vanity..there is a ground wire..use 3 pronged power cord.. the 4 light units have a max wattage of 60w per socket.. you could use 2 in 1 adapter and double wattage.. 1 four light vanity could be 120w of light and light spread out on a angle..if 15w led used.

i have 7 in 1 adapter..max light of 125w.. clamp light was max 150w from homedepot..

Safe Gardener

Here is my 12 SIL fixture. Hasn't gone into service yet. But will soon. It will go into a 18"x24" cabinet with a mix of 3000k and 5000k SIL's. If anyone is interested I can take more pictures.

SG

P.S. sorry pic is upsidedown. I'm not sure how to fix that.

Attachments

• IMG_20200108_231529.jpg
    IMG_20200108_231529.jpg
    97.9 KB · Views: 25
Last edited:

PCBuds

Pictures of your cabinet and it's design would be good.

Then pictures of what you grow and the final results are always helpful.

If you crop your pictures before you upload them, then they won't get flipped.

Safe Gardener

I can add pics of the cab, but due to the state I'm in that's all I'm willing to post online.

As far as cropping pic and what have you, that's a bit outside my current skills. I'm happy when I'm able to get the pic I've taken into the web. Tonight I'll try and get a couple of the cab and post them up.

SG

PCBuds

I think if you hold your camera upright, the picture won't get flipped.
(I'm not sure because I don't store my pictures on this forum)

PCBuds

Here's your picture.

I downloaded it, flipped it in my photo editor and reposted it.
(my autocorrect just tried to say I reported it. lol. it's a good thing that I proof read.)