What's new

Off the shelf retail store screw-in LED and CFL bulb comparisons

ReikoX

Knight of the BlackSvn
Turn them off, unplug them, let them cool, clean chips with ISO and a cotton swab, let dry, plug in and turn on.

!Skunkpower!

Hi

Hi

so what do you Think 20 of them 10 watters could produce around 200 g .i just Went and got 20 -10 watt 2700k and are going to mount them so they could be used in a 60x60 tent:dance013: ,it would blast pretty good right ,can i mabey compare it to an 400 hps ??? anyway thanks for an great thread it have inspired me alot !:):tiphat:since ive been an hps grower Before. but now its for fun and experimental .:woohoo: :thank you:

psyphish

Veteran
16.5w home store LEDs produced more bud than I've ever pulled before from a single plant. Here's Ace Purple Haze Malawi x Napalm (destroyer x fire og) at 9.5 week chop:

View Image

View Image

View Image

You're saying 16.5w of LED produced that plant? Strange.. I've used white LED spots before and never got results like that, guess I'm doing something wrong. That cross seems interesting though, don't see a lot of OG crossed with real sativas.

Terpene

I love the smell of cannabis in the morning
Veteran
You're saying 16.5w of LED produced that plant? Strange.. I've used white LED spots before and never got results like that, guess I'm doing something wrong. That cross seems interesting though, don't see a lot of OG crossed with real sativas.

That plant was under a panel I made years ago for my CFLs. It has three 3 light clusters over a 20" x 36" area. I used to run 23w CFLs in the fixture, but now its running nine 16w LED screw in bulbs like Blynx runs in his cabs (144w total). This plant was under half the fixture so roughly 72w of LED light. Here's a picture of the array:
picture.php

HidingInTheHaze

Veteran
Terpene great pics.

I use 1k's for flowering my self but nothing was ever more fun then when I used to run a 250w HPS with LST, your pics are really inspiring to see what can be done with a simple small set up.

psyphish

Veteran
Terpene great pics.

I use 1k's for flowering my self but nothing was ever more fun then when I used to run a 250w HPS with LST, your pics are really inspiring to see what can be done with a simple small set up.

Small scale grows have a completely different feel to them than big grows, I always have something really small scale going on. Here's a picture of my microbox (25x24x50cm) when I still had E27 sockets in there instead of a "150w" COB fixture. One of the bulbs was worse than the other, a lot less light (cheap chinese stuff, never what they say it is), and the other plant might've just been a stretchier pheno. The E27 bulbs took up too much space vertically so I changed them to a COB light.

blynx

WALSTIB
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Here's the LED cab after two weeks of flowering.

Gorilla Glue #4 x (Triangle Kush x Sour Diesel IBL)

Day 14 Flower

[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]
picture.php
[/FONT]

picture.php
[/FONT]

picture.php
[/FONT]

picture.php
[/FONT]

picture.php
[/FONT]

Looks like she needs some more training.

blynx

WALSTIB
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Here she is after a little training.

Gorilla Glue #4 x (Triangle Kush x Sour Diesel IBL)

Day 14 Flower

picture.php
[/FONT]

picture.php
[/FONT]

picture.php
[/FONT]

picture.php
[/FONT]

picture.php
[/FONT]

Sarcclash

Damn blynx, lookin' good!
Now that you have them sitting pretty, having them roll over and fetch shouldn't be a problem!

BTW I swung by a local Walmart yesterday - they had those same bulbs at $1.88.
Seems to me there is some serious and welcome deflation going on in the cost of growing!

I don't recognize that container. How big is it? Is it double walled?

Terpene

Veteran
Screw in LED grown Ace Panama with about 10 days to finish:

picture.php

el bee

Props on this thread blynx. Motivated me in a big way to go small!

Just picked up an LED (10w) and removed the plastic bulb and metal
deflector. Lotta glue in the one I had, but the end result is awesome
for what I got planned. I didn't anticipate the amount of bright light
I was in for, but yeah, I love it.

Cheers!

Pretty cool stuff here. I took about 18 months off, so coming back and finding big box store LEDs have taken hold is kinda cool. Just ordered a bunch of stuff for some small cabs - veg/flower ... look forward to participating in this little adventure.

Terpene

Veteran
You might want to look at your local big box stores. I always have great luck at Lowes for some reason. I was at Costco the other day and they had 10 packs of 5000k 14w LEDs for about 50 bucks. I don't see them on the web site, might be in-store only.

Best I could find on the site looking for what I saw was a 6 pack for $50.

Ace Panama @ chop (10 weeks of 11/13)
picture.php

picture.php

I have abused this poor Ace Seeds Zamaldelica x [(Purple Thai Skunk x White Widow) x Tom Hill Haze] for months now. Its just recently been repotted since going root bound till nearly every leaf died. Here's day 1 of flower under the LEDs:
picture.php

seymourbud

Currently running CFL's, and this thread has opened my eyes. I have 8 bulbs, 5x42 + 3x23 for a total of 279 watts. The cab is 34"(w) x 18"(d) x 60"(h).

Wondering if (8) 16 watt led bulbs would be enough to duplicate what I had? Looking just now and I can't seem to find 16watt globed led's. You say you are finding them @Lowe's? I saw 3 ways, but no standard 16watt 2700k led bulbs. Also, couldn't you just mount a power strip and use adapters to mount/drive the bulbs? I am not the greatest at electrical wiring. Hats off to blynx and Terpene and all the other contributors, excellent thread!

Last edited:

Latest posts

Latest posts