What's new

Off the shelf retail store screw-in LED and CFL bulb comparisons

Terpene

I love the smell of cannabis in the morning
Veteran
2700k is what you want to flower.

Ah yes, the red light / blue light argument. You're right, red light works better and they would make for a killer veg setup - but 5000K bulbs aren't only for veg, they work just fine in flower too.

I've flowered under 5000k CFLs and panel LEDs. You lose a little in overall bud size but you pick up trich density. It also reduces stretch in flower which could come in handy for smaller grows. One of my favorite tricks back in the CFL days was adding 5000k bulbs to my flowering arrays to keep everything frosty and squat.

That said, my entire veg / flowering setup is 2700k except for my Blackstar which is very red spectrum. ;)

igrowone

Veteran
I've flowered under 5000k CFLs and panel LEDs. You lose a little in overall bud size but you pick up trich density. It also reduces stretch in flower which could come in handy for smaller grows. One of my favorite tricks back in the CFL days was adding 5000k bulbs to my flowering arrays to keep everything frosty and squat.
... ;)

the old MH vs. HPS debate, very similar observations
modest loss of bud weight, but maybe getter quality, especially for some sativa doms
but like you say, both seem to work damn good

blynx

WALSTIB
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Here's the progress pics from the last round in the scrog cab.

[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]
picture.php
[/FONT]
-=-=-

picture.php
[/FONT]
-=-=-

picture.php
[/FONT]
:joint:

seymourbud

Went to the local Wally World, and there were two different versions of the Great Value 100 watt equivalent 2700k LED bulb. Both produce 1600 lumens, but one uses 15watts while the other uses 18watts ( i think it was 18w, did not buy this one, so working from memory). There was a $2 difference in price, so I went for the cheaper version that is using 15 watts to produce 1800 lumens. Any ideas while the same brand has two different option for the same bulb with the only difference big watts used and price? I assume it is either the led panel or the controller, but just guessing. Should I have opted for the more expensive bulb that use more wattage to produce the same lumens?

BTW - removing the plastic bulb was a task, and I took the advice to use protective gloves and eyewear. Seem the person who stated that somewhere along the base where the bulb meets the socket, there is a spot where the glue is absent was correct. Once you find that it just a matter of ripping the globe off.

Terpene

I love the smell of cannabis in the morning
Veteran
Any ideas while the same brand has two different option for the same bulb with the only difference big watts used and price? I assume it is either the led panel or the controller, but just guessing. Should I have opted for the more expensive bulb that use more wattage to produce the same lumens?

Probably either bulb driver efficiency or the diffuser globe may be made of different material / may have an inner diffuser (like the one Blynx cut up in this thread). Either way, I am sure you've got a very bright grow area now! :)

seymourbud

Probably either bulb driver efficiency or the diffuser globe may be made of different material / may have an inner diffuser (like the one Blynx cut up in this thread). Either way, I am sure you've got a very bright grow area now! :)

Only replaced 1 of my 8- 42watt CFL's as a test. Much tighter light pattern, but much brighter also. Going to replace 4 of the CFL's this weekend, and run it for a week and see if new lighting is to the liking of my ladies before replacing all of them.Using "Y" bulb connectors, so they do not point 90 degree downward. Not sure is that will cause a problem. But the plant that has the new LED trained on it is swimming in light!

blynx

WALSTIB
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Went to the local Wally World, and there were two different versions of the Great Value 100 watt equivalent 2700k LED bulb. Both produce 1600 lumens, but one uses 15watts while the other uses 18watts ( i think it was 18w, did not buy this one, so working from memory). There was a $2 difference in price, so I went for the cheaper version that is using 15 watts to produce 1800 lumens. Any ideas while the same brand has two different option for the same bulb with the only difference big watts used and price? I assume it is either the led panel or the controller, but just guessing. Should I have opted for the more expensive bulb that use more wattage to produce the same lumens?

BTW - removing the plastic bulb was a task, and I took the advice to use protective gloves and eyewear. Seem the person who stated that somewhere along the base where the bulb meets the socket, there is a spot where the glue is absent was correct. Once you find that it just a matter of ripping the globe off.

The price difference for similar make/model bulbs at WallyWorld that I noticed was whether the bulbs were dimmable or not. The cheaper bulbs I saw were not dimmable.

blynx

WALSTIB
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Here's the LED cab shortly after three weeks of flowering.

Gorilla Glue #4 x (Triangle Kush x Sour Diesel IBL)

Day 22 Flower

picture.php
[/FONT]

picture.php
[/FONT]

picture.php
[/FONT]

picture.php
[/FONT]

picture.php
[/FONT]

blynx

WALSTIB
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Here's the LED cab after four weeks of flowering.

Gorilla Glue #4 x (Triangle Kush x Sour Diesel IBL)

Day 28 Flower

picture.php
[/FONT]

picture.php
[/FONT]

picture.php
[/FONT]

picture.php
[/FONT]

picture.php
[/FONT]

seymourbud

Well, my cab is 1.5'd x 2.5'w x 4'h and I have 200 watts of led bulbs going now.

So that makes 200w/(1.5x2.5)=53.3333

Don't know if I have that right. Only one plant bulking at the
new lighting. Trying to find a dark corner.