What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Off the shelf retail store screw-in LED and CFL bulb comparisons

Dropped Cat

Six Gummi Bears and Some Scotch
Veteran
Here's the new LED cab after a week of vegging.

Gorilla Glue #4 x (Triangle Kush x Sour Diesel IBL)

Day 07 Veg

[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]View Image[/FONT]

I like the sticks used to train your stems, keeps from having
a web of strings getting in the way.

What's the volume of soil in that container anyway?

blynx

WALSTIB
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Sorry if I missed these already but I had some LEDs I got from Costco a while back, decided to pop the cover off them to help add a pic from a different "design"... I don't have a light meter to test them, but they are extremely bright with the cover taken off, and have a nice heatsink for the base. Was about $30 for a 6 pack if I remember right :tiphat:

View attachment 345245

I picked up a pack of those last spring and mentioned them in a different thread,

I really don't think they would be as good as the style that emits light all in one direction.

Maybe some kinda of vertical setup with them?

Azhden

I picked up a pack of those last spring and mentioned them in a different thread

No wonder I missed it :laughing: , side wall/vert lighting would be it's "specialty" I think, it does have a decent amount of area/degrees it covers with light, not sure about "depth" in any one direction tho :tiphat:

blynx

WALSTIB
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Here are the results of the last round in the scrog cab.

C99 x Shire (SSSDH)

Flowered under 60w of LED for 70 days

[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]
picture.php
[/FONT]

Some bud closeups

picture.php
[/FONT]

picture.php
[/FONT]

picture.php
[/FONT]

picture.php
[/FONT]

No complaints about this round.

I am feeling that 60w is a bit low in this cab. Not sure if I'll keep the 6 sockets and maybe go with the 14w or 16w bulbs, or maybe redo the lights and go with 8 sockets and stick with the 10w lights.

No rush either way, I want to see how the other cab does with the 8 sockets and 10w LEDs.

Terpene

I love the smell of cannabis in the morning
Veteran
You realize you're picking apart 1 gram per watt, right? :laughing:

Great work as always!

q3corn

Nice job, blynx! I'm with terpene here, 1g/watt is already stellar. Let's see if you can get 80g next run!

blynx

WALSTIB
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Here's the new LED cab after a week and a half of vegging.

Day 10 Veg

picture.php
[/FONT]

picture.php
[/FONT]

picture.php
[/FONT]

picture.php
[/FONT]

picture.php
[/FONT]

Time to get this girl flowering!

blynx

WALSTIB
ICMag Donor
Veteran
The 10w LEDs are in place. Let's get flowering!

Day 00 Flower

picture.php
[/FONT]

picture.php
[/FONT]

picture.php
[/FONT]

picture.php
[/FONT]

picture.php
[/FONT]

Blynx. I'm sorry to interupt this wonderful thread with off-subject questions, but Ihave noticed that you keep your pot at the bottom of the growspace. Is there a reason you don't elevate the plants closer to the lights where there is more light during the earlier stages?

I have always been under the impression that you want to stay as close as you can without burning the plants so I stack blocks under individual plants to get them close to the bulbs....and, quite frankly, if this is unnecessesary then it would sure save me a lot of time!

Your results, however, lead me to believe that u have a perfectly good system going! Just curious of your thought on the matter. Thanks!

blynx

WALSTIB
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Blynx. I'm sorry to interupt this wonderful thread with off-subject questions, but Ihave noticed that you keep your pot at the bottom of the growspace. Is there a reason you don't elevate the plants closer to the lights where there is more light during the earlier stages?

I have always been under the impression that you want to stay as close as you can without burning the plants so I stack blocks under individual plants to get them close to the bulbs....and, quite frankly, if this is unnecessary then it would sure save me a lot of time!

Your results, however, lead me to believe that u have a perfectly good system going! Just curious of your thought on the matter. Thanks!

I want my plants to stretch, spread out and fill the cab.

The more the plant is spread out filling the cab, the more bud sites there are.

If the plant isn't up near the lights when the stretch is finished, I will raise it up near the lights with some pieces of wood.

I don't understand topping a plant so it has 4 or 8 tops, letting them grow straight up while 1/2 of the cab is devoid of plant material.

That's why I train/super-crop/bend/crush stems. I want as full a canopy as possible.

Earlybird

1g per w is great. Imagine what you'd yeild with hydroponics.

This really should be stickied! Anyone can start off using LEDs for their first grow.

Sarcclash

1g per w is great. Imagine what you'd yeild with hydroponics.........

I'm with you on this one Eb.
The Kratky method looks like it would be very stealthy.
If you're challenged vertically or can't always be around, a float and remote reservoir can keep your nutrient container short.

Great post blynx!:tiphat:

webecat

I was thinking about building a 2x2 cab and was wondering if 9 of the 10w bulbs would be enough? They seem to be the cheapest to buy right now, but I'm sure that will change too. Just wanting to tap into your experience with what you have done so far Blynx.

blynx

WALSTIB
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Here's the LED cab shortly after a week of flowering.

Day 09 Flower

picture.php
[/FONT]

picture.php
[/FONT]

picture.php
[/FONT]

picture.php
[/FONT]

picture.php
[/FONT]

Looks like she needs some training.

blynx

WALSTIB
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Here she is after a little training.

Day 09 Flower

picture.php
[/FONT]

picture.php
[/FONT]

picture.php
[/FONT]

picture.php
[/FONT]

picture.php
[/FONT]

HidingInTheHaze

Veteran
Thanks for making this thread blynx, I was actually considering getting some retail store led for cloning.

The household led seem to work pretty well which makes me wonder why the garden specific ones come in purple and blue only. It would make sense that daylight and cool white less work just as well like their CFL counterparts do.

Terpene

I love the smell of cannabis in the morning
Veteran
16.5w home store LEDs produced more bud than I've ever pulled before from a single plant. Here's Ace Purple Haze Malawi x Napalm (destroyer x fire og) at 9.5 week chop:

picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

ReikoX

Knight of the BlackSvn
Just beautiful Terpene! Just goes to show you how much more efficient directional lighting is for micro grows.

Latest posts

Latest posts