What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Off the shelf retail store screw-in LED and CFL bulb comparisons

Medfinder

Chemon 91
over at 99 cent only store in the hardware aisle they have 3 pack of 15 watt 1500 lumen 4000k bulbs at 4.99

. got 8 pks of um. its like 36,000 lumens for veg.

noknees

They are shown to be 75w equivalent.
Which is weird because the 14w I have are 100w eq
The ecowhatevers are 1600 lumen
Maybe the walmart ones are just less efficient and make less than that.

what i noticed playing around with the lux meter was that the 13.5 wouldn't peg it out at close range, (narrow beam like the ecosmart) but covered a big area and had good "throw" if you will.

i am fighting the urge to build a 9 bulb, 3x3 array for use in a 2x2 space in a tent.

9 x 13.5W = 120ish watts/4 sq ft is 30W/sq ft for flowering

also comes out evenly to six inch spacing.

and 9 x 9 watt daylight (Ecosmart?) bulbs would be about 20W/sq ft for veg.

3snowboards

D 24
picture.php

picture.php

noknees

just tested the GV 14W/100 in 2700k.

totally different construction than the 13.5

actually drew 14.9 watts

32 chips all over the face of the bulb.

very easily pegged the meter.

maybe just made up my mind....

Last edited:

Terpene

I love the smell of cannabis in the morning
Veteran
My other pheno of Med Tree Seeds Mystery Punch (skittles x purple punch) at 12 week chop:
picture.php

picture.php

Gantz

Smoke weed and prosper
Veteran
Oh Dear God!!!
That stuff looks amazeballs!!!
I don't know where you are but I will find you and I will smoke your weed!

... I'll be nice enough to bring snacks though...

repuk

Altruistic Hazeist
Veteran
:bigeye: beautiful, joyful!

Hey Terpene, I bet you have enough stunning ladies in such quality pictures to create an almanac! (you should consider such idea!)

:tiphat:

repuk

Altruistic Hazeist
Veteran
GPW

GPW

I don't know when did I do the math(possibly under the influence ;)), but wood-grid SIL hood isn't 390W, but 252W:

attachment.php

Original design assumed all SILs to be 11W, which wasn't possible at the end.

Actually purchased bulbs were
10 x 11W 2700K = 110W
6 x 15W 5000K = 90W
4 x 13W 6500K = 52W

Total 252W

Actual draw from the wall:

picture.php

Actual watts per sq feet: 35W per sq feet

Yield:
Kalichakra 195 grams
Beyond the Brain #2 126 grams
Beyond the Brain #1 73grams

Total 394grams, 1,6GPW.

I don't trim small sugar leaves specially if they're full of trichs. Remember this is for my own use, but even with a thorough trimming job, say 10% less weight, GPW is still >=1.5.

One thing is for sure: SILs, when used with a suitable technique (strain, LST, even canopy, etc) is the most efficient lightning for growing, no doubt about that.

noknees

I don't know when did I do the math(possibly under the influence ;)), but wood-grid SIL hood isn't 390W, but 252W:

what is the size of your grid/spacing?

if you could build another, what would you change?

oh yeah, flowers look great!!

repuk

Altruistic Hazeist
Veteran
what is the size of your grid/spacing?

if you could build another, what would you change?

oh yeah, flowers look great!!

Size of the timber grid:
picture.php

Spacing (outer black 80x80 is the tent profile):
attachment.php

As seen grid cells in my case are 13,3x16cm.

If using 11-15W SILs, just create a grid suitable for your space with cells measuring around 15cm/6" each, this ensures light overlapping and the creation of a "ceiling of homogeneous light".

I wouldn't change anything hardware-wise, had superb results!

View Image

Original design assumed all SILs to be 11W, which wasn't possible at the end.

Actually purchased bulbs were
10 x 11W 2700K = 110W
6 x 15W 5000K = 90W
4 x 13W 6500K = 52W

Total 252W

Actual draw from the wall:

View Image

Actual watts per sq feet: 35W per sq feet

Yield:
Kalichakra 195 grams
Beyond the Brain #2 126 grams
Beyond the Brain #1 73grams

Total 394grams, 1,6GPW.

I don't trim small sugar leaves specially if they're full of trichs. Remember this is for my own use, but even with a thorough trimming job, say 10% less weight, GPW is still >=1.5.

One thing is for sure: SILs, when used with a suitable technique (strain, LST, even canopy, etc) is the most efficient lightning for growing, no doubt about that.

Wow that's a great yield man. Got me excited about my grow cuz I wasn't really sure how much I would get. Right now I've got 3 plants under roughly 500-520 watts of SIL's. Got 2 sativa hybrids(bag seed) with over 100 tops and an indica with about 50 tops or so. My one sativa is on week 5 of flower today and it's already got multiple banana sized nugs. I also have it in an 18 gal tote. My other sativa and indica are coming up on week 2 of flower and I have them in 10 gal totes and this sativa is bigger than the other one with about 25% more tops and already seeing good trich production for some bag seed. Also I am using advanced nutrient trio and some fox farms big bloom and tiger bloom on the side. I've also got another indica(same strain as the other)vegging under 54 watts and it is kickin ass. It really is amazing how good these lights r. Well that about raps it up. Let me know if u want to c some pics and I'll upload some.

Latest posts

Latest posts