What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Off the shelf retail store screw-in LED and CFL bulb comparisons

repuk

Altruistic Hazeist
Veteran
Noknees: no problem! :biggrin: please post on how it goes!

BigHitGuy420: Of course, that's the purpose of the thread! To share systems and results, and a picture is worth a thousand words...

Alright guys I did upload some new photos on my page of the girls. My albums should be public so if u want to c just go check it out. I'm not that great at posting pics so this is just easier for me lol. Anyways I named the album my 3 beasts. I'll upload more pics in about a week. P.s. I grew all these from seed. The one on 5 weeks of flower I vegged for 6 weeks and the others got vegged for 8 weeks from time the seed sprouted. I topped at 3rd node and did lots of LST, super cropping and pruning to get all the shoots I have now. I also did a 2nd round of topping at about 4-5 weeks but I top every single shoot at the canopy to double my shoots and that's how I'm getting 100+ tops. The stems on these girls are also quite thick. Prolly like 1.5 to 2 inches in diameter and very strong thick branches. Well that's about it for now. Hope u guys enjoy and if u got any other questions feel free to ask. I'm always happy to help and give some pointers as well as learn some stuff for myself.

repuk

Altruistic Hazeist
Veteran
picture.php

Looking killer and dialed-in! Is that a cab? sizes? air management?

https://www.icmag.com/ic/album.php?albumid=77507

Looking killer and dialed-in! Is that a cab? sizes? air management?

https://www.icmag.com/ic/album.php?albumid=77507

Its actually just a closet that I cleaned out and turned into my grow op. Dementions are roughly 6ft wide by 5ft tall and 2ft deep. I keep the doors open so that the fan there in front can cover all 3 plants. I just run air conditioning to keep the temps at about 78°F. And I vent the room out about twice a day letting in new fresh air. Planned on getting an 8x8ft tent after this run is over.

repuk

Altruistic Hazeist
Veteran
They look great, you've got good growing hands!

Something's for sure, SILs and restricted spaces match like bread and butter...

They look great, you've got good growing hands!

Something's for sure, SILs and restricted spaces match like bread and butter...

Thanks man. All my buddies think so too. I really just got the hang of this whole growing thing about 7 months ago when I started using these SIL's and I started doing lots and lots of research on the web. But yeah you're right about SIL's and restricted spaces. Being able to trap the light in gives u a better grow.

Dr.Young

K+ vibes
Veteran
Love it, gonna pull up a chair... I think I'll bust out the 3 socket vanity fixtures, and Y splitters. This would make for amazing sidelighting. Already have all the UV\blues\reds\IR I need in my LED.. Some 2700ks on the side, and we're set. I already have a Malawi dad under a little 13w LED

Alright guys I just uploaded some more pics to the album my 3 beasts. Let me know what yall think. Like if I need to raise my lights up or not on my indica in the middle.

noknees

wow, i was under the impression you guys kept these bulbs/fixtures pretty close to the plants.

what are y'all typically doing for height in veg and flower?

wow, i was under the impression you guys kept these bulbs/fixtures pretty close to the plants.

what are y'all typically doing for height in veg and flower?

Maybe the lower wattage bulbs like the 9w or 10w but the 15w and 16w should be kept at a further distance. Very intense. Especially on a 7 way bulb splitter like the ones I have.

ChrisTheGreek

So guys for a single plant(auto) in a growtent in size of 40x40x1,60 (cm) how many watts are ok?in veg i use 45-50w and at flowering i add 50 more..What do u think for this?They are a lot for me or i need even more?

Dr.Young

K+ vibes
Veteran
For anyone wondering... I tried last night...

If you want to get the bulb off the LEDs most of them are glued... You can just press with your palm or fingers on all sides until you break the glue\plastic all around... The first LED I damn near hurt myself trying to get it off with a screwdriver I jammed threw the plastic lol.... You cant Pry the bulb\plastic cover off...

For anyone wondering... I tried last night...

If you want to get the bulb off the LEDs most of them are glued... You can just press with your palm or fingers on all sides until you break the glue\plastic all around... The first LED I damn near hurt myself trying to get it off with a screwdriver I jammed threw the plastic lol.... You cant Pry the bulb\plastic cover off...

Try a flat head screwdriver. Just pry it between the plastic bulb cover and the bulb fixture and twist. You only need to go a few mm deep with the screwdriver. Works easier if u screw the bulb in 1st and let it run for about 15 minutes to let the glue heat up.

Dr.Young

K+ vibes
Veteran
Yeah that was the obvious way of thinking, didnt work for me lol... Some are glued different than others.

If all else fails though, just jamming the screwdriver through the plastic. Get the screwdriverinside the dome and it gets pretty easy to pry off. Might be easier to burn or cut a hole to get the screwdriver in too so you dont hurt yourself if it slides off.

repuk

Altruistic Hazeist
Veteran
BigHitGuy420 said:
Try a flat head screwdriver. Just pry it between the plastic bulb cover and the bulb fixture and twist. You only need to go a few mm deep with the screwdriver. Works easier if u screw the bulb in 1st and let it run for about 15 minutes to let the glue heat up.

Exactly! Dr.Young is it more a matter of skill rather than force (dangerous).

Wiggle the flat screwdriver blade on the joinings of the dome, there will be a place/area (look for it) where you would slide its way inside the dome/bulb assembly.

Twist it once you feel it "inserted" and the seal, or part of it (usually glued) will break loose, prying it open and making much easier to remove the dome.

If you don't find such an area, force the insertion, but making sure the hand holding it it's not on any conceivable trajectory of the one holding the screwdriver in case you slip... almost all SILs have a weak spot.

Cannablessed

I’m back!

I’m back!

Hey all been a few minutes since I’ve stopped by, I got distracted by my Jeep, but I’m back! So I’ve lost count of weeks or months but here we have a clone of my first plant, doing well. ( the one in the back) and then I have some unknown saliva strain, if I had to guess I’d say we’re rounding month 3 on this one. (The light green one)

The clone has had its hard times but looks amazing. And this sativa just wants to reach but a little training and I think everything will be fine.

I’m switching to flower in a week or so cause I’m losing space, I intend on cloning before that as these plants have thrived here in my grow box. LED FTW!

Attachments

• 0A8824CE-6F00-4E72-A4EA-F70BC997FA76.jpg
    0A8824CE-6F00-4E72-A4EA-F70BC997FA76.jpg
    71.5 KB · Views: 15
  • 7F162F25-0E2A-46ED-9846-49DC427F7AB5.jpg
    7F162F25-0E2A-46ED-9846-49DC427F7AB5.jpg
    59.3 KB · Views: 14
  • 8B8CDEB5-D185-461B-A902-DE1E54103AC6.jpg
    8B8CDEB5-D185-461B-A902-DE1E54103AC6.jpg
    63.4 KB · Views: 17