What's new

No-Till thread?

VortexPower420

Veteran
Second what 3rd said....we have the same exact methods. Well not totally exact because we live different places but same principals.

Team Microbe

Veteran
I foliar up to 2 weeks before harvest.

My logic? The leaf surface has the proper microbiology on it because I put it there. Thus most of what I spray has been broken down within the 2 weeks of not spraying. Typically it should be within 3 days.

The active ingredients in neem oil, and essential oils break down within 2-3 days as well.

Although you can go the beneficial leaf welling insect route and have them shitting and dying on your flowers up to the day of harvest. I choose spraying personally. :)

Ironic though how one is frowned upon and the other is applauded. When the science backs up both. Oh well, now is the time for more people to chime in with little to no experience, and parrot-talk something they read, but have little to no experience in what they are saying. :)

Come out, come out, wherever you are parrot-growers. :)

Yes I have coined another term, "parrot-grower" someone who reads studies, reports, google scholar articles, and books obsessively, and recites everything as if they know it for fact, but in actuality they have no first hand experience as to what they speak of.

That is a very good point MHG. I've always wondered if releasing beneficials in flower is even worth it for that exact reason... e-coli.

I would be more comfortable releasing them in veg as a preventative and hope that they get the job done before the flip into flower.

I'm so glad you brought up neem because so many growers claim this is what makes their crop taste bad. I've never sprayed it (or any oil) in flower before, but it sounds like you're having no problems whatsoever with it since the plant breaks down and absorbs what you apply within a few days.

You honestly can't tell any difference in the taste?

MileHighGlass

That is a very good point MHG. I've always wondered if releasing beneficials in flower is even worth it for that exact reason... e-coli.

I would be more comfortable releasing them in veg as a preventative and hope that they get the job done before the flip into flower.

I'm so glad you brought up neem because so many growers claim this is what makes their crop taste bad. I've never sprayed it (or any oil) in flower before, but it sounds like you're having no problems whatsoever with it since the plant breaks down and absorbs what you apply within a few days.

You honestly can't tell any difference in the taste?

Not at all.
I spray Neem and essential oils once per week up to two weeks before harvest. I also spray LABS and DEM foliar once per week up to two weeks before harvest.

To me in my controlled environment it is the lesser of two evils. I fully understand in a large scale situation beneficial insects are the way to go because of labor costs, complete coverage, etc.., but in a small personal grow we have the time and free labor to spray on a regular basis.

Something cannabis growers don't think about is their logic in using leaf dwelling beneficial. They think that since they are used in commercial produce and ornamental production then there is no problem using them in cannabis production. The one thing they don't think about is that all produce is washed multiple times before it reaches the grocery store, and ornamentals are obviously not ingested by humans. Cannabis can't be washed, and it is ingested by humans. Thus dead bugs and shit will stick.

What I have learned here in the Denver area is if you don't stay on top of your shit you will have mites super quick. There are just so many people that grow here mites are everywhere.

Also they are almost completely impervious to pyrethrins and some other natural sprays.

As far as flavor/taste/smell/etc.. goes the rosin that comes from my flowers are way above what you find around town. At least that is what i am told. :)

Also my flowers terpene profiles really com out due to my style of growing. It's the number one thing that anyone says about any flowers or rosin from my plants, "oh my god it tastes and smells so fucking good."

:)

Team Microbe

Veteran
Not at all.
I spray Neem and essential oils once per week up to two weeks before harvest. I also spray LABS and DEM foliar once per week up to two weeks before harvest.

To me in my controlled environment it is the lesser of two evils. I fully understand in a large scale situation beneficial insects are the way to go because of labor costs, complete coverage, etc.., but in a small personal grow we have the time and free labor to spray on a regular basis.

Something cannabis growers don't think about is their logic in using leaf dwelling beneficial. They think that since they are used in commercial produce and ornamental production then there is no problem using them in cannabis production. The one thing they don't think about is that all produce is washed multiple times before it reaches the grocery store, and ornamentals are obviously not ingested by humans. Cannabis can't be washed, and it is ingested by humans. Thus dead bugs and shit will stick.

What I have learned here in the Denver area is if you don't stay on top of your shit you will have mites super quick. There are just so many people that grow here mites are everywhere.

Also they are almost completely impervious to pyrethrins and some other natural sprays.

As far as flavor/taste/smell/etc.. goes the rosin that comes from my flowers are way above what you find around town. At least that is what i am told. :)

Also my flowers terpene profiles really com out due to my style of growing. It's the number one thing that anyone says about any flowers or rosin from my plants, "oh my god it tastes and smells so fucking good."

Wait, you mean you can't wash PM off of your buds with H202?! :laughing:

chilliwilli

Waterboy
Hi folks
In the onlineshop i plan to order my kelp they also sell insect meal. The brand is ccmore. It is a little pricey compared to the krill meal, close to double. The description says "It contains flies, worms, shrimps, bugs and other dehydrated natural organisms"
Is anyone using insects in their mix? Could there be an beneficial effect from the insects chitin compared to the marine one?

Thx willi

VortexPower420

Veteran
Not at all.

To me in my controlled environment it is the lesser of two evils. I fully understand in a large scale situation beneficial insects are the way to go because of labor costs, complete coverage, etc.., but in a small personal grow we have the time and free labor to spray on a regular basis. you must not have kids or a full time job. It's all about ease, least amount of inputs and mimicking nature...poo included.

I'll tell you one thing. Except when there is a imbalance and the aphids get at the unhealthy, dieing growth during the last few weeks, I have more of a problem with rove beetles.

I constantly find them Dead and stuck to the nuggets. The rest I never have problems.

Let's just say that my fresh frozen 90ug has a bit of a reputation among the "oil snobs" in my ares., as well as the hogs legs.

Not to say if I didn't have time I wouldn't foliar for the benifits to plant health. I wish I could spary more...still my predator mites, and lady bugs aren't going anywhere.

VortexPower420

Veteran
Willi-/ whats cheapest and travels the least distance... That one wins.

Chitin is chitin and nutes are nutes. It's all the same to microbes and humus

MileHighGlass

I'll tell you one thing. Except when there is a imbalance and the aphids get at the unhealthy, dieing growth during the last few weeks, I have more of a problem with rove beetles.

I constantly find them Dead and stuck to the nuggets. The rest I never have problems.

Let's just say that my fresh frozen 90ug has a bit of a reputation among the "oil snobs" in my ares., as well as the hogs legs.

Not to say if I didn't have time I wouldn't foliar for the benifits to plant health. I wish I could spary more...still my predator mites, and lady bugs aren't going anywhere.

Interesting that you say that because I have yet to see a rove beetle on any of my leaves. Although I have bought mine and brought them indoors so it may just not be in their dna.

they are my top indoor insect. They spread like crazy and just keep reproducing.

Sirdizz

Hi guys had a question for using alfalfa for mulch and was wondering why I haven't seen anyone try it? Any insights I may have missed? My idea is that as it breaks down it'll provide not just food for worms but some N as well to the soil. Thanks for any thought

Team Microbe

Veteran
My problem before the nematodes, hypoaspis miles, and rove beetles was gnats. They would always get stuck in the buds late in flower. It was super annoying. Now though I don't have that issue.

I've had that happen before too!

SO ANNOYING.

There's nothing that ruins a good smoke sesh more than people watching you pick bugs out of your nugs :laughing:

If it ever happened again I'd simply hit the top layer with some neem or karanja meal mixed in with ewc, that seems to work for me every time :good:

Team Microbe

Veteran
Pure Himalayan Shilajit Resin in the plant world

Pure Himalayan Shilajit Resin in the plant world

picture.php

So I've recently been experimenting with Shilajit, a fulvic acid resin that oozes from the Himalayan mountains every summer. It's got over 85 minerals (in ionic form), tons of trace elements and a load of other beneficial constituents that boost plant health and performance from what I've seen so far. It's basically a fermented plant resin comprised of over 7,000 different species, loaded with secondary metabolites, phospholipids, triterpenes and other goodies that plants will enjoy on occasion as what I call a plant supplement. I honestly see it being best in foliar form since it's immediately available, and can be used in place of Bio Ag's FulPower and TM-7 from what I've researched.

picture.php

48 hours after a Shilajit drench

picture.php

MileHighGlass

View Image
So I've recently been experimenting with Shilajit, a fulvic acid resin that oozes from the Himalayan mountains every summer. It's got over 85 minerals (in ionic form), tons of trace elements and a load of other beneficial constituents that boost plant health and performance from what I've seen so far. It's basically a fermented plant resin comprised of over 7,000 different species, loaded with secondary metabolites, phospholipids, triterpenes and other goodies that plants will enjoy on occasion as what I call a plant supplement. I honestly see it being best in foliar form since it's immediately available, and can be used in place of Bio Ag's FulPower and TM-7 from what I've researched.

View Image

View Image

Interesting product. I'm going to have to check into it.

MileHighGlass

View Image

View Image

View Image

How are you using this? Quantities, brand, frequency of use, etc...

I stopped using fulvic and humic products, but this seems interesting to say the least.