What's new

NJ Medical Marijuana

Pythagllio

Patient Grower
Veteran
Ya' know...for my purposes...this legislation will be useless. But for people that actually need weed to just get by because they're in pain, suffering....etc....

Are you sure about that? Licensed facilities only. Who issues the license? Are they required to issue a license? Remember the 'marihuana tax act of 1937'? That gem of a law made it illegal to possess cannabis without a tax stamp, issued but not required to be issued by the gov't, with the gov't deciding to never issue any with the brief exception of WW2. Christ, take a look at the barriers they put up here in CA without a legal leg to stand on. It's in our state Constitution for crying out loud. Sorry guy, the text I quoted is exactly what they want you to think.

My condolences to the sick and dying of NJ.

big mike

why do you have to be sick and dying?
Im suffering everyday. Since my arrest, 9-10 months ago, Ive been hospitilized 3 months, had 2 surgeries w around 3 ft of my intestine removed and all these Doctor's can do is shurg thier shoulders, offer their apologies and tell me there is nothing more they can do. 10 years i utilized marijuana to combat this horrible disease and it worked perfectly, now, w these ammendments i probably wont qualify...

U

UBER21

STRAIGHT GARBAGE restrictions so u basically need to have some type of terminal illness to qualify either cancer or HiV.....

accessndx

♫All I want to do is zoom-a-zoom-zoom-zoom..
Veteran
You guys don't see the fact that they are basically admitting that Marijuana is indeed a medicine? I'm not sure how this will all pan out physically for the patients that require it....but the bottom line...is even if it's only a law nominally.....they had to go through the process of deliberating on it....and the final outcome is that enough people have tipped the balance in favor of acknowledging that marijuana can be used as a medicine....

Yes, they consider it a medicine of last resort. Yes, they are making barriers to obtaining it....No, this is not the exact move we wanted to see them make because of these two issues...

At the end of the day, Marijuana is just a wee bit closer to being accepted socially by people that previously considered it socially unacceptable.

Consider this: we don't need to convince any pot smokers that this substance has just been demonized....and that it's not a hard drug, and that it's not a gateway drug...and that the physical detriments of smoking pot aren't worse than many of the other things people do already: oxycontin, alcohol...cigarettes....etc.
We have consistently needed to change the minds of people who are inflexible, illiterate and uninsightful. I think that this is a small victory in that regard.

Of course there are a billion people disappointed that they just didn't come out and carbon copy what has happened in the most liberal areas of the country.

You don't think that the practical full-on legalization in areas like Cali...and the subsequent explosion of growers out there has caused any hullabaloo? I heard them use these arguments in the prior testimony before yesterday.....they think that California is out of control and that it's breeding crime like wildfire.

I don't agree that this is the case, but you're dealing with mental midgets.

If they just outright legalized it...there would be 0.0% criminal element involved. That's the conundrum.....tolerance without legalization promotes crime nonetheless....
It's one of the primary reasons the Dutch are getting their panties in a wad in Amsterdam...and they put the clamps down on prostitution and the coffeeshops...
You may find that we're a bit more tolerant here in some places.......

Basically: I'm happy that even the hard-headed motherf*ckers have to admit that this plant has a place in healthcare. Even if they've been forced to accept it against their will. This is one more nail in the coffin of the tea-toddling asswipes that keep everything on lockdown. I'd sure like to roll down the street puffing on a huge joint with my latte...but I think that's a bit further down the road into the future.

Try to see the big picture. Keep safe and stay green my tri-state brothers and sisters. :friends:

mjcuresall

big mike, my heart goes out to you, brother.

access, I too am grateful that progress is being made in spite of the assembly crippling the bill.

Let's not lose sight of the fact that the bill still needs to go back to the Senate. It was quite usable after they passed it the first time, so it's not so far-fetched to believe there's still a chance they'll try to make it more usable the second time.

Bake_McBride

The Compassion Centers will be licensed by NJ Dept. of Health & Senior Svcs. Guidelines will be set up by them and the State Attorney General's office. At this time there are no plans for the state to run a facility, so they've got to license somebody.

I know that this isn't what we wanted and they've really changed a lot. I can't believe that Chronic pain by itself won't qualify. Hang in there, Big Mike. I'm sure we'll get there eventually.

In the meantime let's keep the pressure on them and make them accountable. There's still time for changes. We may be able to get back some of the stuff they took out, who knows? And if it does stay the same and passes with the restrictions, the bill calls for them to evaluate how things are going after the first year. I'm hoping that either DE or PA will also pass this year w/out the restrictions so Jersey can see that they were too cautious and ease up a bit; maybe expand the list of qualifying ailments, hopefully let folks grow their own.

accessndx

♫All I want to do is zoom-a-zoom-zoom-zoom..
Veteran
Sounds like it's time for us to all get together and activate "Wonder Twin" powers....
wondertwins-rainbow.jpg

I'd invest in a compassion center. Someone brighter than me by far should start running up a business plan....and/or the operating agreements utilized by such a facility. Be the first people to hit the NJ Dept. of Health & Senior Svcs up...
Tell them that it's going to be operated as a non-profit organization....that's even better.

FYI: Just because the organization is "not for profit" doesn't mean people don't get paid, don't have insurance benefits....401K...etc. You could make a decent living and help people at the same time!

Plus, who else has the sheer volume of strainage that we bring to the table?​

turbolaser4528

Veteran
Sounds like it's time for us to all get together and activate "Wonder Twin" powers....
wondertwins-rainbow.jpg

I'd invest in a compassion center. Someone brighter than me by far should start running up a business plan....and/or the operating agreements utilized by such a facility. Be the first people to hit the NJ Dept. of Health & Senior Svcs up...
Tell them that it's going to be operated as a non-profit organization....that's even better.

FYI: Just because the organization is "not for profit" doesn't mean people don't get paid, don't have insurance benefits....401K...etc. You could make a decent living and help people at the same time!

Plus, who else has the sheer volume of strainage that we bring to the table?​

I'd be right there with you bro, but I have a feeling if this happens in NJ the first compassion center is going to be taking huge amounts of heat. DEA will probably still kick the doors in so I'd probably have to wait on that one. Someone's gotta do it though :smoweed:

Bake_McBride

Access, it has to be a non-profit, it's in the bill. I don't think you are alone in wanting to be the first center open. I have a feeling that they will have their pick of centers to "mess" with if they so choose. Let's hope this isn't the case. It seems that NJ plans to keep much tighter controls on the acquisition of pot than any other state. Sucks for patients that wanted to grow their own, and probably won't keep the shady characters out of the action, since I'm not convinced the state will properly oversee this seeing that the budget is already outta whack and it will take resources to police this.

With Holder's comments earlier this year, I can't see how the DEA could possibly justify setting up shop to bust med growers in a totally new state. If it goes thru as is, we'll just have to live with it for the first year and apply ridiculous amounts of pressure on the politicians till they either make it right or get voted out.

big mike

Pythagllio: That was in no way directed towards you. It's more of a question to the politicians who murdered the bill. Sorry for the misunderstanding bro...

ALTERNATIVE TREATMENT CENTERS

The bill provides that DHSS shall establish a registration program authorizing alternative treatment centers to produce and dispense marijuana for medical purposes. A person who has been convicted of possession or sale of a controlled dangerous substance shall not be issued a permit to operate, or be an employee of, an alternative treatment center, unless such conviction was for a violation of federal law relating to possession or sale of marijuana for conduct that is legal under the bill. All usable marijuana, seeds and seedlings associated with the production of marijuana for a registered qualifying patient would be the property of the patient and must be provided to the patient upon request. An alternative treatment center may be reimbursed by a patient for reasonable costs associated with the production of marijuana for that patient.

An alternative treatment center permit holder or his employee would not be subject to arrest or prosecution, or penalized in any manner for the acquisition, distribution, possession, cultivation, or transportation of marijuana or paraphernalia related to marijuana on behalf of a registered identification cardholder, provided the amount of marijuana possessed by the center, combined with the amount possessed by the registered patient and his primary caregiver, does not exceed six marijuana plants and one ounce of usable marijuana per patient.

I think NJTHC.com / NJDispencary.com is already around...

dapimmel

NJ medical

NJ medical

I've been watching this thead and I have to comment..............

The NJ marijuana laws that they are proposing are strict. But let's not forget that CA had some of the same problems in the beginning. To start with..... the medicine will have to come from somewhere ie..... CA. This would not be cost effective. Approve centers will need time to start. The State is not going to grow it!!! And there has to be standards set. This being said. Let's get the Marijuana law enacted and then we can go further. Once the state feels it is not cost effective they will realize it's better to let the patient grow his own medicine that he know fixes his pain. Look.....it took this much time to get the ball rolling. Let's keep the ball rolling. These are baby steps that need to be taken in the legalisation. The ball rolls slow, but it's rolling. Good work NJ. And we could use the tax from this law. NJ, just use our tax money wisely.

O

otherwhitemeat

It's a small step, and in the right direction...but that's about all the excitement I can throw behind it.

I, for one, will not be signing up and think you'd be foolish to do so, unless you want to be on the 'front lines'. Whether it's 6 plants or 12, that's not enough to be self sufficient. They are also proposing 1oz/month and only for very specific conditions. Sure, this challenges the classification of MJ as Sched 1, but it'll be years before you can smoke a J safely in the People's Democratic Independent Republic of New Jersey.

No Gubernatorial candidate would risk the politcal fallout of signing this into law, this close to November. No GOP/law and order candidate will do it and Corzine is too busy chasing away business and letting the schools run roughshod over your property taxes. Fucking slime, I hate his miserable tax loving black guts. That said, if he signs it into law, my whole attitude on his shitty, corrupt administration might change

http://www.nj.com/news/ledger/jersey/index.ssf?/base/news-14/1244174710241290.xml&coll=1

Highest property taxes in the country

Not just in bed with the Unions, he could actually be leading the NJEA in it's quest for your tax dollars. Concerned about property taxes? 65% goes to our corrupt school system and teacher's unions.

Least business-friendly state in the country.

No honest media to hold them to account.

Pay to play is accepted as part of the political scene.

Property taxes rise every year at a rate that has people leaving the state in droves.

Millions are allocated to programs that are headed up by 'friends'

Corzine is not from New Jersey and could care less about the people here.

I pay higher property taxes than he does. His $1 salary is costing me way too much.

School-construction money is stolen. What does Corzine do? Nothing.

E-mails girlfriend, whose mortgage he paid off, while negotiating with union, which she was the head of. But no one is allowed to see the e-mails.

Makes deal with unions so he won't be protested during Biden visit. Wow, what a leader.

vintner

Careful, I just had my bullshit meter recalibrated
Veteran
Got my fingers crossed for ya NJ! :dance: We're a bit slower here in Pa. :rasta:

O

otherwhitemeat

If anyone in Jersey wants to become active, you may want to consider the case of John Ray Wilson a 36 year on MS patient who's looking at 20 years for growing 17 plants in his backyard. The turnout for his protest in Somerset NJ was small, only about 30 people.

Read his story:
http://open.salon.com/blog/freedomi...l_right_to_marijuana_the_john_ray_wilson_case

http://videos.nj.com/star-ledger/2009/08/medical_marijuana_advocates_pr.html

Then please consider donating or becoming active:

http://www.cmmnj.org/

I don't know this man at all, but I am going to help him--I would encoruage other locals to do the same.

big mike

http://www.healthreformwatch.com/20...ersey-compassionate-use-medical-marijuana-act

Statement In Support of the “New Jersey Compassionate Use Medical Marijuana Act”

The Center for Health & Pharmaceutical Law & Policy supports the passage of the New Jersey Compassionate Use Medical Marijuana Act (the “Act”) because the legislation has been carefully drafted to allow New Jersey residents with debilitating medical conditions access to marijuana to ease their suffering without creating an undue risk of abuse or diversion.

Medical Evidence. Available medical evidence supports the use of marijuana to treat each of the debilitating medical conditions set forth in the Act: AIDS/HIV; cachexia (wasting syndrome); cancer; glaucoma; severe and persistent muscle spasms; severe nausea; severe or chronic pain; and seizures.
Need for Access to Marijuana Despite Availability of Cesamet and Marinol Pills. While smoking carries with it certain health risks, smoked marijuana has meaningful advantages over the Cesamet and Marinol pills, which contain synthetic compounds that mimic marijuana’s primary active ingredient. Smoked marijuana is faster-acting, allows for more reliable dosing, and has fewer psychoactive side effects than the pills. In addition, smoked marijuana can be the only option for patients who can not swallow pills due to severe nausea and vomiting as a result, for example, of treatment for cancer.
Abuse and Diversion. No state that has passed a medical marijuana law has subsequently experienced an increase in recreational marijuana use among its children and youth. The Act’s multiple safeguards against abuse and diversion of medical marijuana provide further reassurance. If passed, the Act would be among the most restrictive of all the states’ medical marijuana laws.

Conclusion

The Seton Hall Law School Center for Health & Pharmaceutical Law & Policy recommends passage of the New Jersey Compassionate Use Medical Marijuana Act because the Act includes multiple measures designed to reduce the risk of abuse or diversion and because the medical literature supports the conclusion that smoked marijuana can provide relief to patients suffering from debilitating medical conditions for whom conventional treatments have failed. While further research is needed to fully explore marijuana’s medicinal potential, New Jersey residents, in consultation with their physicians, should have access to the relief from suffering that the Act would afford now.

Latest posts

Latest posts