FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE
NORML - New Jersey
Ending Marijuana Prohibition in the Garden State

WHO: Larry Kane, Chris Goldstein, Ken Coluzzi, Mark Wallen
WHAT: Comcast’s The Voice of Reason talks marijuana
WHEN: Sunday Nov. 8, 209 at 9:30PM

Larry Kane tackles Marijuana on Comcast

November 6, 2009
Philadelphia – Legendary Philadelphia newsman and author Larry Kane takes on the subject of “Legalizing Marijuana” this week on this cable talk show The Voice of Reason.

The program airs for the first time Sunday November 8th at 9:30PM on The Comcast Network, Channel 8 or HD Channel 201.

Guests on the topic included: Ken Coluzzi the Police Chief of Upper Makefield, Mark Wallen MD from Livingrin Addictions Center and local marijuana reform advocate Chris Goldstein.

Goldstein serves as the Executive Director of NORML-NJ and media coordinator for PhillyNORML, the local chapters of the National Organization for the Reform of Marijuana Laws.

The lively discussion covered the medical marijuana legislation in New Jersey and Pennsylvania. The guests also weighed in on the recent Department of Justice memo regarding medical cannabis. Larry was also keen to explore the topic of overall marijuana prohibition.

The Voice of Reason 30-minute program on marijuana will re-air Wednesday November 11, 2009. The show will also be served as an audio podcast on the website of KYW1060 Newsradio throughout the week.

Both local NORML Chapters are working on some exciting projects, including campus lectures, legal forums and medical marijuana advocacy. Open meetings for public attendance are regularly held. NORML-NJ and PhillyNORML are committed to representing the cannabis consumers of the Delaware Valley while changing the senseless and destructive policy of marijuana prohibition.

We support legalizing cannabis for responsible use by adults.

Media requests: Chris Goldstein 505 577 5093 or director@normlnj.org

big mike

From NORML.ORG:

Final Push For Medical Marijuana In New Jersey

Do you want to see New Jersey become the fourteenth state to legalize the physician-supervised use of medical cannabis? Then New Jersey NORML needs to you act now.

Elected officials have pledged to act on S119/A804: The New Jersey Compassionate Use Medical Marijuana Act during the final sessions of the Legislature, which runs between December 7, 2009 and January 7, 2010.

The New Jersey Compassionate Use Medical Marijuana Act has strong public and political support. Notably, Assembly Speaker Joseph Roberts is publicly supporting the bill, and has the ability to instigate the Assembly to re-amend the legislation.

When the Assembly Health Committee voted on the bill in June it made some significant changes made to the proposed cannabis program. Among them: Removal of Chronic Pain from the list of qualifying conditions, and removal of provision for home cultivation by authorized patients. Advocates at the Coalition for Medical Marijuana -- New Jersey, the Drug Policy Alliance, and NORML-NJ oppose these changes, and are calling for the final version of the medical marijuana bill to be more closely resemble the one the passed by the Senate in February that included these provisions.

Supporters are encouraged to contact their elected officials and urge them to pass the Senate version of The New Jersey Compassionate Use Medical Marijuana Act. You can do so by going here:

http://capwiz.com/norml2/issues/alert/?alertid=12767456

Finally, on Monday, December 14, 2009 from 8:30am to noon marijuana law reform supporters will gather and demonstrate at the Somerset County Courthouse, Somerville, NJ, at the trial of John Wilson, who faces at least 15 years in prison for growing 17 marijuana plants to treat his MS. Two of the state Senators sponsoring S119/A804, Nicholas Scutari and Raymond Lesniak, have called for an Executive Pardon of Wilson on the felony charges. Supporters are strongly encouraged to send a letter to Governor Corzine and Attorney general Anne Milgram asking for the pardon. You can show your support by going here:

http://capwiz.com/norml2/issues/alert/?alertid=14300601

After years of hard effort by patients and advocates it does seem promising that the Garden State will be the next to offer sensible cannabis therapy. The final push is now: Please show your support.

Sincerely,
The NORML Team

----

LETS MAKE IT HAPPEN!!!!

big mike

The schedule for voting in the Assembly on Dec. 7 just came out and A804 wasn't on it.

the bill will not be voted on at the 12/7 Assembly voting session. Rather, they will be amending the bill at that time, with the goal being to bring the bill to a vote either January 7 or the 11th.

big mike

CMMNJ believes the New Jersey Compassionate Use Medical Marijuana Act will be voted on in the Assembly on January 11, 2010. Amendments to the bill are being worked on. Tell your legislators, especially assemblymen/women that you do not want an overly restrictive version of the bill to pass into law. (The substitute version of the bill released from the Assembly Health Committee (A804) is overly restrictive; the Senate version (S119) is better for NJ patients.) See CMMNJ's recent blog for talking points. Call your legislator during the first week of January 2010—this is the last week to have your voice heard on this bill this session.

c'mon Jerz!

the_man

Chris Goldstein Trenton- The final votes have been officially scheduled for The New Jersey Compassionate Use Medical Marijuana Act S119/A804 on January 11, 2010. The Legislative Calendar can be found here.

The NJ Assembly Health Committee passed the bill in June 2009 with new restrictions compared to the version that had already passed the state Senate. The sponsors of the bill along with the Majority Offices of both Houses have been working since the summer to craft compromise language. If the now common version of the bill passes votes in the Assembly and the Senate next week it will go to Governor Corzine’s desk for signature. The outgoing Democrat has repeatedly stated that he will sign the bill into law.

Politicians in New Jersey have expressed strong and even outspoken support for medical marijuana access in 2009. Although retiring, Assembly Speaker Joe Roberts (D-Camden) has supported the bill and has now fulfilled his pledge to post it for a vote. State Senators Scutari and Lesniak, both sponsors of the bill, appealed for an Executive Pardon of MS patient John Wilson for his cultivation of 17 cannabis plants to treat his disease.

Advocates and supporters including The Coalition for Medical Marijuana New Jersey (CMMNJ), the Drug Policy Alliance- NJ and NORML-NJ are asking residents to contact their legislators during this final and critical phase of the legislation. CMMNJ's Executive Director Ken Wolski RN said today "We are cautiously optimistic that a medical marijuana law will soon be in place here in New Jersey to protect patients while they are using this physician-recommended therapy."

big mike

Just received an update from Chris Goldstein in New Jersey. Both the Senate and Assembly will be voting on their medical marijuana bills this coming Monday, with hopes they pass that bill, resolve the two versions, and get it onto outgoing Gov. Corzine’s desk before he leaves office. Gov.-Elect Christie takes office on Jan. 20 and he doesn’t seem as friendly to medical marijuana, even though he stated he is for it.

The language that was introduced was already the most strict in the nation and we’re concerned that further compromises between Senate and Assembly may make it worse. We should have theat final language for you to read tomorrow, but as Chris said, it “ain’t gonna be pretty”.

It’s not too late to contact your New Jersey legislators and urge them to pass this bill, no matter how flawed.

:prettyplease: :smokeit:

But we're not voting as citizens correct? Its just an assembly/senate vote? I was spreading the word because I thought it was up to us not the politicians. I guess I'm just not very educated on the whole process. I thought that we could go to a local voting location like a public school and cast our vote but I think I'm wrong on this? Please help me clear this up. I thought it had already passed vote in senate and assembly.

big mike

But we're not voting as citizens correct? Its just an assembly/senate vote? I was spreading the word because I thought it was up to us not the politicians. I guess I'm just not very educated on the whole process. I thought that we could go to a local voting location like a public school and cast our vote but I think I'm wrong on this? Please help me clear this up. I thought it had already passed vote in senate and assembly.

the assembly and senate vote on it, not the people. Your position can be expressed by writing to your elected officials and tell them to vote yes..

:smokeit:

the_man

you guys really need to call your elected officials Monday morning or show up at the Capitol for the hearings it is super impotant on monday. the legilastors will vote on this on monday. so call or get down there if you want this

big mike

I would love to go but I don't know where to go. I'd love to show up tomorrow morning with bells on.

Senate Session 02:00 PM Senate Chambers (S119 Compassionate Use Med. Marijuana Act )
Assembly Session 01:00 PM Assembly Chambers (A804 Compassionate Use Med. Marijuana Act )

Live Audio:
http://www.njleg.state.nj.us/media/live_audio.asp

NORML NJ said:
WHEN: 12 Noon January 11, 2010

WHERE: 100 W. State Street Trenton

Trenton – Patients and advocates are gathering on January 11, 2010 to witness an historic vote in the New Jersey legislature on medical cannabis. First introduced in 2005, The New Jersey Compassionate Use Medical Marijuana Act has bi-partisan support and is favored to pass. It would make NJ the 14th state to offer regulated medical cannabis access to those suffering from serious medical conditions.

CMMNJ and NORML-NJ are coordinating public support in Trenton on Monday. Patients, their families and supporters of medical marijuana are being asked to continue their email and telephone contacts with legislators urging them to vote ‘yes’ on the bill.

Committee Room # 9 on the 3rd Floor of the State House Annex has been reserved for media relations and a patient rest area. NORML-NJ supporters are being asked to have a strong presence in front of the State House as well as within the Senate and Assembly chambers. Free stickers and buttons will be available, please dress in business attire.

A press conference is planned in the Rotunda area of the State House following the final votes, when they occur. Because of the nature of these last legislative sessions an exact time will not be available. Please check the NORML-NJ Blog www.normlnj.org for updates on 1/11/10.

The current language of The New Jersey Compassionate Use Medical Marijuana Act A804/S119 would implement the most tightly regulated medical marijuana program in the country. Local advocates are confident that the bill will benefit those suffering from some of the most serious medical conditions anyone must bear such as HIV/AIDS, Cancer, MS and ALS.

Medical marijuana is a concept that has significant public support in New Jersey with 86% of residents backing a state authorized program. Most of the major newspapers in the region have offered their editorial endorsement of the bill. Organizations such as the New Jersey State Nurses Association, The New Jersey Academy of Family Physicians, The New Jersey Hospice and Palliative Care Organization along with other patient advocacy groups have strongly and consistently supported medical marijuana legislation in the state.

Contacts and directions
Email NJ legislators about medical marijuana: http://capwiz.com/norml2/issues/alert/?alertid=12767456

Media may contact NORML-NJ for information about the bill:
director@normlnj.org

Directions to the NJ State House in Trenton http://www.njleg.state.nj.us/legislativepub/directions.asp

weedsticks

As a Cali medical user who's back home in the Jerz visiting family I can only hope this passes today. Best of luck and I hope everyone is contacting their representatives on this issue.

leftyguns

hmm if this passes i wonder what kind of symptoms it will take to obtain a med card and what size and limits will we be expected to abide by

Latest posts

Latest posts