What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

NJ Medical Marijuana

accessndx

♫All I want to do is zoom-a-zoom-zoom-zoom..
Veteran
Yeah, I don't want to jump the gun. I honestly thought that vote was the last hurdle. However, my understanding now is that it was the last BIG hurdle...I think the rest is just kind of a formality. This has moved alot further than anyone anticipated, I don't see much potential resistance forthcoming. Still a big reason to celebrate people!
Let's get this done!

Mr. Bongjangles

Head Brewer
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Yeah, I don't want to jump the gun. I honestly thought that vote was the last hurdle. However, my understanding now is that it was the last BIG hurdle...I think the rest is just kind of a formality. This has moved alot further than anyone anticipated, I don't see much potential resistance forthcoming. Still a big reason to celebrate people!
Let's get this done!

Hey Accessndx!

Man, unfortunately, the assembly vote looks to be the harder of the 2 to pull off. From http://www.nj.com/news/index.ssf/2009/02/nj_senate_approves_medical_mar.html

article said:
There's been no movement on the Assembly version of the bill, sponsored by Assemblymen Reed Gusciora, (D-Mercer), Michael Patrick Carroll (R-Morris) and Assemblyman Joan Voss (D-Hudson). And opponents said they are gearing up to defeat the measure if it gains any momentum in the Assembly.

"There is no doubt in my mind the Assembly will be very cautious dealing with this," John Tomicki said, the executive director of the League of American Families. "Parents are alarmed they've given the green light for marijuana use."

David Evans an attorney and executive director of the Drug Free School Coalition, a national group, said his organization will mobilize to challenge the bill in the lower house. "This is dressed up as compassion but this bill is way, way too loose," Evans said. "It will be too easy to get marijuana."

On the plus side, the liberal majority is larger in the Assembly, and this seems to be going down on partisan lines as the objection appears to be mostly from Republicans.

I'm not in NJ, but will do what I can. Those of you there should find out who your representative in the Assembly is and holler at them about the issue.

http://www.njleg.state.nj.us/members/legsearch.asp

That site will help residents find their person. Letters from the people who will vote them in or out of office in a year or two will be the most effective.

Trust that these groups against NJ MMJ will be telling these representatives the negative perspective on the matter. They must hear from their constituents that this is important to them, and that caving to conservative pressure will cost them at election time.

accessndx

♫All I want to do is zoom-a-zoom-zoom-zoom..
Veteran
Parents are alarmed eh?
How come they aren't alarmed when their kids suck down oxycontin, valium and other crap like M&M's? They're more readily available, more likely to cause addiction....and they've already been green lighted.
The ignorance that people enjoy is always astounding to me. I can't believe how thick some skulls are....
Nonetheless, I have faith and that carries me Mr. Bong! I'm no religious kook, but for whatever reason, I have a sincere and strong feeling that this will occur. Sometimes only time separates us from the things we are destined to achieve. This is one of those focal issues, and it will be resolved in time. 100 years, 1000 years or an epoch....it's irrelevant to me. I've been kicking it for at least 13,000,000,000 years, what's a few more days or hours? I know at some point things will go down the right way.

cocktail frank

Ubiquitous
Mentor
ICMag Donor
Veteran
just like to show u the email i sent my local (ish) assembly people

i think you should strongly consider voting yes to s-119 (medical marijuana)
mj is a SAFE plant that has never killed anybody (in recorded history)
it is way safer for pain management then big pharma's pills.
it is natural, grows from the earth.
not synthetically made in a lab.
there are 12 other states that have this and it has worked wonders.
i believe, among with millions of other citizens, that it should not be classified a schedule 1 drug along with hard drugs. ie, heroin, cocaine.

the mj plant can also make rope, clothing, fuel, etc etc.
the possibilities are endless.
nicotine and alcohol remain legal due to the fact that is can be taxed by gov. tons of money is made on taxes, but yet they are the 2 biggest killers on the planet.
it's time for us, as a society, to stop talking down on mj and see it for what it is worth, a PLANT!
so please consider this request.
i am writing on behalf of an older relative who has pain issues.
the oxycontin's the dr's prescribe her not only make her sick, but are killing her as well.
they make her sick to her stomach and unable to eat.
mj is the only thing that takes away her nausea and makes her hungry.
she should not fear being arrested to obtain mj on the street level. this is how most folks are forced to buy mj due to it being illegal.
why shouldnt she have the right to take what meds she feels works best?
you can go into a dr's office and ask for different pills due to a bad reaction, without a hitch.
what really makes this different?

all i ask is for your compassion. let's do whats RIGHT here.
nothing wrong w/ NATURAL remedies to help disease.
we are already 2/3 of the way to making this a reality for many people suffering.
Gov Corzine already said he'd sign the bill if it his desk.

i can assure you that there are many, many, many supporters of mmj nationwide.
studies showed that over 20 million US citizens use mj.
these are ALOT of YOUR potential voters.

do you want to be known as a run of the mill assembly person?
or do you want to be remembered as a trailblazer?
a politician who did the RIGHT thing and not the one who did whatever the lobbyists paid them to.
dont be a puppet on a string, be an advocate!

sincerely,
concerned citizen in YOUR district.

thank you for reading this and taking time out of your day :D

O

otherwhitemeat

Bongjangles is right, this is only one hurdle, but it's a positive step and if you told me this ONE YEAR AGO, I wouldn't beleive it. Especially being from 'the punchline state.'

It must go to another vote and then to Corzine. I don't think he'd do it. Only way he'll go along is if he can get some tax money for the state. States are poor, they may override the Fed in terms of how the earn their money soon. CA is toying with FULL ON LEGALIZATION!!

To quote Bob Dylan, "Come Senators and Congressman please heed the call. Don't stand in the doorway, don't block up the hall."

Contact these people and tell them what you want, you voted for them...while you'e at it, please ask them to do something about my property taxes. PLEASE.
http://www.njleg.state.nj.us/members/legsearch.asp

big mike

New Jersey Medical Marijuana Information Seminar

WHO: National radio personality Chris Goldstein and Ken Wolski, RN
WHAT: Host a free “New Jersey Medical Marijuana Information Seminar”
WHEN: Saturday, March 21, 2009 from 1:00 PM until 3:30 PM
WHERE: Collingswood Library, 771 Haddon Ave., Collingswood, NJ 08108 Tel. # (856) 858-0649
WHY: To explain the pending legislation in New Jersey and to discuss the history of marijuana use, marijuana prohibition, and medical access to marijuana.

National radio personality Chris Goldstein and Ken Wolski, RN will host a “New Jersey Medical Marijuana Information Seminar” on March 21, 2009 at 1:00 PM at the Collingswood Public Library. The seminar is free, and open to the public. Goldstein will discuss the history of marijuana use, its prohibition in the United States, and medical marijuana. Wolski, who represents the Coalition for Medical Marijuana--New Jersey (CMMNJ) said, “The seminar will explain the need for this safe, effective and inexpensive therapeutic agent. Nearly 25% of all Americans now live in a medical marijuana state and eventually, it will be legal throughout the country. Yet every day, seriously ill New Jersey patients are either being arrested for using medical marijuana, or are suffering needlessly without it.” Free literature will be available and there will be time for questions from the seminar audience.

Wolski will discuss the "New Jersey Compassionate Use Medical Marijuana Act" (A804), which was recently approved by the New Jersey Senate. This bill will allow patients to use a small amount of marijuana when a licensed physician recommends it for chronic pain, nausea, cancer, AIDS, multiple sclerosis, Crohn’s disease, etc. New Jersey patients will be issued state ID cards in a program run by the New Jersey Department of Health and Senior Services. The bill is awaiting action by the New Jersey Assembly. Governor Jon Corzine said that he will sign the bill into law when it gets to his desk.

The American Nurses Association, the American College of Physicians, the Leukemia and Lymphoma Society, the American Public Health Association, the American Academy of Family Physicians and many other professional healthcare organizations have endorsed medical marijuana.

spadedNfaded

Veteran
Congrats everyone!! I heard about this when the bill was approved and then again when it passed to the leg. Other than that info though, i'm afraid i haven't been following it as closely but holy shit! I'm fuckin excited!!!

- SubN

wow...I guess we've been forgotten about...I haven't seen anything more recent than early march as far as news coverage online.....anybody hear anything?

hey everyone...its been almost a year since i posted due to legal issues, but ive been hearing from friends that the state has already passed the compassionate bill? ive been searching google for 2 hours and am getting mixed answers on the medical marijuana being passed.

if this bill was passed i would be a prime candidate, being that i suffer from stomach ulcers, extreme depression, migraines, and have insomnia. ive been struggling for the past year on 6 mg of xanax a day, reglan, and seroquel, but i would be able to cut out everything else if i was allowed just 2 grams of premo bud/day.

is there anything i can do? every day is a living hell without my herb, and if i failed a drug test i would be in BIG trouble....im getting sick of living like this

does anyone know exactly where we are at on this bill? 6 plants is reasonable, i could live with that...i just cant live with the 10 years in prison.

we should all pray.

GOOD LUCK NEW JERSEY!!! we've all been holding high hopes in the states and working hard to let our reps know its time for Medi Jane!!

if you havent yet let your reps know!!! if they support it tell them thank you if not , urge them to!

- your new york brother Sativa Dreams

big mike

Assemblyman Herb Conaway Announces Hearing on Medical Marijuana! On Thursday, June 4, 2009 at 10:00 AM in committee room #16 of the State House Annex, the New Jersey Assembly Health and Senior Services Committee will conduct a hearing and then vote on “The New Jersey Compassionate Use Medical Marijuana Act” (A804). This is one of the crucial, final steps to passing this bill into law. (A favorable vote by the entire Assembly is the final step, since Gov. Corzine said he will sign this Senate-approved bill into law when it gets to his desk.) Please come to Trenton to show your support for this bill on June 4th. Bring a picture ID to the Statehouse and dress professionally. Public testimony is welcome at the committee hearing. Make 14 copies of your written testimony to distribute to the 10 committee members and 4 committee aides. If you wish to testify orally, sign up prior to the start of the hearing, and limit your remarks to three minutes. There is a cafeteria in the State House Annex, not far from the committee rooms. There are parking meters (with 2-hr limit) near the State House, and nearby garages. Free parking is available on W. Hanover St.

Pythagllio

Patient Grower
Veteran
Damn I wish I could be there. There's nothing like the camaraderie in such a situation. Those who show up should have a great memory that lasts a lifetime. I still recall 1992 when I went to New Hampshire for the primaries with DC NORML. That's the one thing I miss most about being an activist.

big mike

We need your help to ensure that the committee understands how much support this legislation has among New Jerseyans. Much is riding on the success of the hearing—if the Assembly Health members vote this bill out of committee, it will help us advocate for passage by the full Assembly. So please attend the hearing to show your support!

Please be advised, the hearing will take place in Committee Room 16 on the fourth floor of the Statehouse Annex in Trenton, NJ. For directions to the Statehouse please visit: http://www.njleg.state.nj.us/legislativepub/directions.asp and for information regarding parking near the Statehouse, please visit: http://www.njleg.state.nj.us/StateHouseComplexParkingChanges.asp.

Once at the Statehouse, a security guard or trooper will greet you. Please make sure you have a valid picture ID to enter the building so you can be issued a visitor's pass.

If you are unable to attend the hearing, you can listen live online the day of the hearing around 10:00 a.m. at: http://www.njleg.state.nj.us/media/live_audio.asp or a few days later once the hearing recording is archived on the NJ legislature’s homepage at: http://www.njleg.state.nj.us/media/archive_audio2.asp?KEY=SHH&SESSION=2008

Medical marijuana patients and their families will be present to advocate for the legislation. Expert medical testimony will be provided by Dr. Denis Petro, M.D., Board Certified Neurologist and representatives from the coalition member organizations listed below will be submitting testimony to demonstrate their support for A804.

New Jersey State Nurses Association
New Jersey Academy of Family Physicians
New Jersey Hospice and Palliative Care Organization
New Jersey League for Nursing
Leukemia and Lymphoma Society Southern NJ and Northern NJ chapters
American Civil Liberties Union of New Jersey
Drug Policy Alliance New Jersey

IF YOU HAVEN’T ALREADY DONE SO, PLEASE CONTACT MEMBERS OF THE HEALTH COMMITTEE BY TAKING ACTION (click here: https://secure2.convio.net/dpa/site...on&id=359&JServSessionIdr010=7mi7coad41.app8a). This link will lead you to our latest action alert which will allow you to automatically send a fax letter to members of the health committee urging them to vote “yes” on A804 on Thurs.

Finally, please let me know if you plan on attending the hearing so that I can keep you updated regarding any changes or details concerning the meeting. Your support is greatly appreciated; I look forward to hearing from you soon!

Show your support friends....

Latest posts

Latest posts