What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

NFL 2018

shithawk420

Veteran
Lol guys! Yeah I'm in corn country. I just eat out of a can if I have to.its funny you mention MREs.i like to watch those vids too.this girl I just met takes care of our horses.shes going into the National Gaurd in a couple months.i asked her about the MREs.she said she didn't really like them lol man if only she was older.shes cool as hell.

But yeah this country weather is kicking our ass.i think I got another week of this.no grilling for me.

If you put the charcoal on one side Baba you can inderect cook your meat.

big315smooth

mama tried
Veteran
i gotta guy i get mres off great for when your gonna be at guerrilla patch all day doing work. ive tried all of them

shithawk420

Veteran
She said she had the sweet and sour chicken.cant imagine eating it unless I'm in the field.i think the Japanese have the best.i can't remember.US pizza didn't look to bad

Bababooey

Horse-toothed Jackass
Veteran
Ahaha, sunshine, ive heard good things about the jalapeno cheddar. But peanut butter is always good too.

People are saying gettleman screwed up the giants draft, but we wont really know that for a year or two. They said the 2017 1st rd QBs were not that great, and they all made the pro bowl and playoffs last year (trubisky, mahomes, watson). Although im still salty that trubs is like the worst of those three and was drafted first (and we had to trade up to do so).

Yeah hawk, i know about indirect heat, havent really done too much of it though, if im not searing and cooking over direct heat im usually smoking meat, but when im smoking i usually put this big ceramic plate setter in between the coals and the grill, that's sort of like indirect heat also in that it acts as a bit of a heat shield between the fire and the meat.
Ive done some eating out of a can, if you have a gas stove you can still heat it up properly even without electricity.

What are your favorite mre's, smooth? The 12 packs ive been looking at seem to include 4 breakfast meals, which makes sense if you consider it's breakfast, lunch and dinner in every pack. I've heard good things about the pepperoni pizza, and im always down for pizza, but they seem to have a good variety of foods, american favorites plus popular mexican, asian and italian dishes.

These things look pretty tasty but i guess you have to consider the fact that theyre supposed to last 5 years or more, so theyre probably packed with preservatives, if that matters to you. I can see how they'd be better than packing some sandwiches and chips if youre in the deep woods all day, you can reheat the food with the warming packs, plus they come with toilet tissue. Can be a lifesaver if you need some. :biggrin::moon:

big315smooth

mama tried
Veteran
beef rib patty or the stew like best least favorite the vegetarian one. thought the lemon tuna was gonna be sketchy but it was starkist pack so it was good. candies in some of them. they were military grade never tried the ones off internet but those look good

pop_rocks

In my empire of dirt
420club
wait what?!? peanut butter and oatmeal sunshine...
we must be twins or something because i eat that up all the time
i even got the ol'lady on it from way back in the day and people would look at us like we were weird but its the shit man for sure!
all the power of oats with the protein of the peanut to keep you going all morning my man!
plus it taste really good
i agree that one of the giants biggest problems is your o'line; no qb is going to play his best when he is being rushed
barkley will keep the pass rush honest but i thing a beefed up o'line would really help

you are right about the rams rookie rb being smaller than anderson, but hes only going to fill a role in the rams run game
gurley is the man and i hope he is back as close to 100% next season
/at least lets hope so, if hes called upon to step up early the rams could be screwed
plus the rams signed anderson in december so its not like he was big a part of the offense, but he really play his part during the playoffs and thats why i think it so suck that the management did not sign him to at least a 1y deal
/kind of a thanks for stepping in when we needed it thing
like with the rams i see cohen being the back they game plan around and montgomery being a fill in
if hes strong enough he might evolve into a power back type runner, in which case hes just liek j.howard was when a play is called (tipping off the d)
man you can do so much better than an mre baba
get that grill cleaned up and start cooking cave man style
seriously tho bruh, we need to get back you on track and cooking good food outdoors like god intended
if nothing else we will start off grill up some dogs and burgers but i know you can do this
i will usually recharge the coals at least once when i smoke meat on the weber, but you can get a good flavor and smoke ring pn ribs after like 4-6h on the smokey joe
its kind of different style cooking but its still the same

Last edited:

Bababooey

Horse-toothed Jackass
Veteran
Really, there's a difference between civilian and military MRE's? Im reading online that the military ones are just labeled for Dept of Def use only, not for resale, but in all other respects theyre essentially the same as the ones for civilian sale. Or is that wrong?

Honestly pop, the only reason i would want to try MREs is because they actually look kind of tasty, for something that has a shelf life of 5-10 years or more. I mean, of course it wont compare to a good home-cooked meal, or even a hot and fresh fast food meal, but it actually looks better than, say, a peanut butter sandwich or something like that. Maybe it's the equivalent of something like a Hot Pocket, which is kind of a trash substitute for good pizza but for something that tastes sorta like pizza and can be ready in a minute or two you could do worse...

So when you eat peanut butter and oatmeal, you just make like a batter out of the two and eat that? So it's basically like a homemade protein bar except in a bowl? Im not that fond of oatmeal, too mushy for me, but i will eat some maple and brown sugar oatmeal made with milk, that's some good eating, for a porridge...

I thought the giants fixed their o-line last year when they signed nate solder and drafted will hernandez, but yeah, according to PF Outsiders they were 29th in run blocking and 20th in pass blocking. But they got rid of ereck flowers finally and solder dealt with injuries last year (i think) and hernandez was a rookie, so maybe things are looking up.

Yeah, i think cj anderson wasnt happy he didnt get a contract from the rams, but yknow LA gave him a chance and he signed with detroit so he's back in the league after being on the street last year.

It'll be interesting to see where gurley goes in fantasy drafts this fall, he's been the #1 player the last 2 years but with the knee concerns... I guess we'll see if he gets any preseason work, even if he looks ok he might not go top 5 just because he'll probably get fewer touches than before, to save wear and tear on his knee.

When you say cave man style cooking do you mean cave man grilling, which is cooking meat right on top of the charcoal, no grill or grate in between?
That's an interesting way of cooking, with lump charcoal you get less ash than briquettes so there's not as much to brush off the meat when it's done.

pop_rocks

In my empire of dirt
420club
no, i guess i misspoke when i said like a cave man
ive heard of the cave man style, laying the meat directly on the hot coals but ive never tried it
i think you would have a lot of really burned surface and an almost raw inside but i could be wrong because once the meat sits on the coals they would lose heat
i probably should have said more like man style cooking or something like that
when i make the peanut butter and oatmeal i just use the plain oats, about 1/4c and some water (if you want it thicker use a little less, say just cover the dry oats; you can always add more water after it cooks if its too thick)
then i dollop a big spoon full of peanut butter on that, (i like the kirkland one chunky style)
then microwave it for like 1.45m
let it sit and then stir it all up; its super good
so who do you think will be the top-5 fantasy players in most leagues?
im thinking p.mahomes is a good top-5 pick, along with the usual suspects
/rogers,brees, brady
who do you think would be a good fantasy rb/wr?
i dont think mres are that bad and there are some good ones out there, i remember this beef stroganouf one that was good and the vegitarian pasta alfredo one the mrs liked
plus they come with a little bottle of tobasco sauce that if you dont use you can stash for later
heck, just to keep around the house in case of emergency and if you can get a deal buy more
/i know they are cheaper by the case and then you gt a good variety

shithawk420

Veteran
Fucking A .I'm in the hospital detoxing and you guys are making me hungry.i haven't eaten in 3 days.ill try to post my hospital breakfast lol I'm so hungry I can't sleep

Bababooey

Horse-toothed Jackass
Veteran
Hey Hawk, sorry to hear youre in the hospital, hope youre feeling better. My pops was in the hospital a lot lately, hospital food isnt great but i didnt find it that bad, although i do see why people make fun of it. Are you on a restricted diet, is that why you couldnt eat?

Yeah, i thought thats what you meant by cave man style cooking, but ive seen on some grilling shows that cave man grilling is when they put the meat right on top of the coals, which makes sense that that's how ancient man cooked their meat. I guess the rotisserie hadnt been thought up yet. :biggrin:
It seems like it would make a good sear but yeah, as long as the coals are just hot not creating lots of flame it shouldnt burn. Isnt that how they do entire pig roasts, hawaiian style? Dig a pit in the dirt, fill it with hot coals, lay a pig down, lay a bunch of banana leaves on top and let it cook like all day and night? Like a nice long slow cook.

Ur peanut butter and oatmeal recipe sounds interesting, i may try it. Do you use instant oats? If you only nuke it for less than 2 mins i think they must be instant. Maybe ill try it with my maple and brown sugar oatmeal, a little milk and a big scoop of peanut butter, makes for a heartier breakfast than plain oatmeal.

Seems like im the only one that hasnt ever tried an mre around here. Looks like im going to have to change that, especially since it's been raining a lot lately, so no bueno on the grill for now...

Mahomes might be a top 5 pick, especially in 2QB leagues, although it's very likely he wont throw 50 tds again just due to natural regression, plus the fact their defense may be better and tyreek hill will probably get suspended half the season. Did you hear the convo his fiance recorded of him? He said 'you need to be terrified of me too, dumb b----". That seems like a really toxic relationship, too bad they have a kid together, and she's pregnant with twins.

As far as top wr/rb's, saquon barkley, james conner, davante adams, michael thomas, julio jones and deandre hopkins will all probably go top half of the 1st round. Antonio brown normally would too but he's in a new situation so he might fall to 2nd rd. Same with leveon bell on the jets now. Nick chubb on the browns could go late 1st. Gurley if he looks healthy in camp wont drop below 1st round. Mccaffrey on the panthers will probably be top 5. David johnson on arizona had a down year but played better at the end, he may go late 1st or fall to 2nd rd.

shithawk420

Veteran
I've had worse food.had hashbrowns,bacon sausage and toast for breakfast.lunch I had grilled lemon rosemary chicked and cauliflower mashed potatoes and gravy.waitng on a bacon cheeseburger with carmalised onions and fries

pop_rocks

In my empire of dirt
420club
get better soon, hawk'
what landed you in the hospital? or is this something you do from time to time
that menu dosent sound half bad and ive been getting into the cauliflower/mashed potatoes lately
cauliflower is one of my favorite veggies and a friend of the mrs made the mash potatoes for us one night and i thought it was almost just as good as regular mashed potatoes but with less starch
hang in there bruh, we all got your back

no mention of melvin gordon in the top backs? i guess he dident have that great a year last season and the chargers are a pass first offense
but he get a good mix of running plays and can catch the ball out of the backfield
my friend was on instgram and showed me a pic of mccaffery, it looks like hes spent his whole off season in the gym and hes looking jacked
i agree that mahomes isnt going t throw for that many td this season and we will see how the chiefs fill out their offense
i heard the tapes and if you listen carefully you kind of walk away with the feeling that both of them beat that poor little guy
he mentions how she hits him too and her response is that she only uses a belt on him
but yeah, that whole story is so messed up and i feel really sad for the kid
/and now there are twins on the way? #fubar
i wouldent be surprised if a few guys around the league arent looking to take a shot at hill next season; heck i bet some of the guys in his own locker room wouldent mind having a word or two
try the oats, baba'
its the plain instant oats and peanut butter like you said, chow down on that and you are good to go

Bababooey

Horse-toothed Jackass
Veteran
Hey hawk, sounds like youre eating good now. The underrated thing about hospital food is that you can always order more if you wanted, at the least the ones i was in just had to pick up a phone and tell them what you wanted off the menu.

Yeah, the woman has been wanting to remove carbs from her diet and has mentioned that rice and pasta can be made from cauliflower. I wouldnt say cauliflower is one of my fav veggies but i have no particular objection to it, and i guess its lack of taste makes it good for making starches out of it: potatoes, rice, pasta etc.

Ah crap, i knew id forget a few players. Gordon was actually excellent last year before getting hurt week 12, he had like 1350 yds from scrimmage and 14 total tds before getting hurt. Even missing 4 regular season games, he still finished the #6 RB in fantasy and #13 player overall. So he'll be top 5 pick for sure i think. He went 2nd half of 1st round last year, maybe even 2nd rd some drafts, so he was excellent value there as he was one of the top players all season till getting hurt.

Also i forgot zeke elliott, he was great all year, really added a lot of receiving touches to his game, he's another sure fire top 5 pick. In fact, Zeke and Melvin gordon may go #1 and 2 this year in most drafts.

Yeah, I saw that pic of mccaffrey too, looks like he added 10 lbs of muscle to just his arms and shoulders alone. Hope he doesn’t get ‘randomly’ selected for more PED testing by the league because of that, even though it looks suspicious.
Chiefs used their first draft pick, a 2nd rounder, to select mecole hardman, a fast receiver out of Georgia. Receivers in the draft are kind of hit or miss, and they don’t tend to do well as rookies anyway, so doubtful he’ll fully replace tyreek if tyreek misses a bunch of games or gets released, but it’s something I guess.

We tried the oatmeal and peanut butter and it was good! Tasted almost like a healthy candy bar. Gonna have to make it again, although the woman is complaining that the maple brown sugar oatmeal ive been using makes the kitchen smell like curry. Don’t know why that is, it does smell like maple in the microwave, but to me doesn’t smell like curry…

pop_rocks

In my empire of dirt
420club
maple and brown sugar is one of my favorites of those flavors quaker oats, i also like the apple and cinnamon
we usually just get the unflavored kind since we put the peanut butter in it
it dosnet come in individual packages, (actually im sure it does) so we just get that bix box of it at costco
the mrs keeps a tupperware container at work wiht that and a jar of peanut butter and she is set for the week
im glad you liked it and it reminds me of this no bake cookie recipe this girl at work came up with using oatmeal, chocolate chips and coconut oil
i sigested she add peanuts to the mix and it came out bomb
i bet you could also make it with the peanut butter too, chunky would be best here, roll that into balls and freeze it
yeah brother, thats the pic! hes looking swole but you are right and it would not surprise me if he was tested at least once this season
/where would you rank him as far as fantasy backs go?
zeke is another great back with a ton of upside potential and im sure we are leaving out a name or two still
hope you had a great week baba and are all set up for a fun weekend
do you have any plans for sat/sun?
its cinco de mayo so you know all the rookies are going to out drinking
if you go out be sure to stay safe brother

Bababooey

Horse-toothed Jackass
Veteran
I get gifted lots of leftover oatmeal from friends and family, so ive never had to buy it actually, but yeah you gotta love those big box stores, once u find a product u like there's no cheaper way to buy in bulk, usually.

Yeah, the peanut butter and instant oatmeal, nuked for a bit with some milk, tasted like a cookie to me. I can easily imagine throwing some chocolate chips in there, with coconut oil to hold it all together at room temp, would make a very tasty no bake cookie. And yeah, freezing what you dont eat quick means youll always have some available.

Mccaffrey really turned it on the 2nd half of the season, i think in the game against the steelers (which was a blowout loss btw) he scored all 3 of the panthers td's, 2 rushing and 1 receiving, and also had another game with over 100 rushing and 100 receiving yds. I think most fantasy experts will rank him top 5 overall, since bellcow backs are fairly rare nowadays. RBs by committee are popular among teams, which hurts their individual fantasy value.

Zeke will probably be the most popular #1 overall pick this year in fantasy, and i wish i would have drafted him in the league where i drafted leveon bell instead. I still almost made the playoffs in that league after scrambling for half the season to find some good replacements, i lucked out picking up chubb and aaron jones in that league.

It's finally stopped raining around here so hopefully this weekend will be nice. No specific plans as usual but may finally have to get this grill going. Thanks for the warning about cinco de mayo, totally forgot. Yeah, you always hear stories on the news of some crazy drunken driver speeding and crashing, but ive been able to avoid that thankfully. :)

pop_rocks

In my empire of dirt
420club
happening baba! its the weekend
the mrs is taking me out to some fancy burger bar later tonight
i really dig burgers so i am looking forward to enjoying myself but im not a really big fan of these fancy burger places that are all the rage right now; im happy with in n out
try those cookies man
its not that hard to make and you probably have half the ingredients in the house
they get really soft as they warm up but we just take a couple out at a time and eat them
so who do you see as being a good pick for a fantasy defense? where in the draft do people usually draft a defense
so the D can score you point by creating turn overs and sacks, plus safeties
how about plays that lose yards or stuff like that?
hope you get to get out and enjoy the nice weather no matter whats the plan
have a great weekend brother!

Bababooey

Horse-toothed Jackass
Veteran
Ive been to a few of those fancy burger joints, the ones that appear in diners driveins and dives. I enjoyed the food but i agree with you, it's not anything that special that makes me want to keep going back, especially if their burgers are like $12-15, not including sides and a drink. Maybe the bacon and cheese are 'artisanal' or locally sourced, but it's not that much better tasting than regular old cheese or bacon. Like you said, if you can be just as satisfied with a burger meal for 1/3 the price that you can get in a drive thru, why go fancy?

Although if i were ever in your area, i saw a place on triple D called Hodad's, they make this bacon patty for their burgers by boiling a bunch of bacon in water in a pot and then taking a bunch of the stripes and grilling that down on a flat-top. I think maybe we talked about it before, years ago, and you've been there but wasnt that special? I suppose it's easy enough to make something like it at home, boiling a bunch of bacon and then frying it up isnt rocket science.

Ah, the no bake cookies get soft as they warm up? Well, i guess thats the downside of being no bake, but ur method, just taking what you want to eat out of the freezer, works a treat.
Ill probably make them (i do have coconut oil, instant oats and peanut butter) but without the chocolate chips, im supposed to watch my sugar intake (grrr) and that way the dogs can eat them too.

Most leagues you pick a team DST, or defense and special teams. So you get points for turnovers (2-3 pts for int's, fumbles forced), sacks (2 pts), def and special teams td's (6pts) and also pts for keeping the other team scoreless (10-20 pts for a shutout, then lower number of pts for keeping them to 6pts or less, 10 pts or less, etc). These values are adjustable by the league commissioner.

Some leagues also give pts for yards from scrimmage given up, so neg yard plays would help in that. I think one time my league had yards given up turned on, but now it's just pts given up, turnovers, sacks, def td's.

Most fantasy experts typically recommend a DST with your last draft pick, or second to last (the last being your kicker). Although a really good fantasy DST is almost like having another good skill player on your team, it's hard to keep up that production year over year. For example, the bears DST was best in fantasy last year, especially when they got defensive td's along with turnovers they could get you 20pts in a game, which is like a good RB or WR game. So probably they'll be drafted very early this year, like 6-10th rd, where you could draft players like corey davis, mike williams or hunter henry, any of whom could break out and rank top 10 at their position. So you most likely will be disappointed if you draft the bears DST high when some other stud was available, since bears D probably wont be as good this year as they were last year, just because it's unlikely theyll get so many turnovers again.

shithawk420

Veteran
Got out of the hospital.if I didn't say why I was there is cause of alcohol poisoning and DTs.ended up having a BAC of .42 I've had higher but that could kill a lesser person.ive got about 3/4 of a liver left.im only 31 but been drinking straight jack since I was 13. Ashamed to say I had about 8 beers since I got out.its just me and my dog so I get lonely ya know? I'm gonna try to do better though.sorry to derail this thread.cant wait for some football

Bababooey

Horse-toothed Jackass
Veteran
Hey hawk, dont worry about it, we're all human and fall short of perfection. Just keep up the fight, and if you backslide sometimes, well, again no one's perfect. :)

Ive been getting into the liquor the past year or so more than i'd like, lot of day drinking, even a swig or two in the morning just to 'lighten my mood'. Messed up i know, but it's one of our few legal drugs so hard to avoid it yknow?

That BAC of .42 is pretty impressive tho. Were you pretty drunk then? Im sure a BAC of .08 or even .20 you could probably not even seem drunk if no ones smells it on you...

pop_rocks

In my empire of dirt
420club
hay hawk, glad to hear you are out of the hospital man
.42 is some heavy drinking there and im glad you are ok; ive had alcohol poisoning before and its no joke
i know where you are coming from and we all get sad or lonely from time to time
i wish i knew something that would work for you to moderate your drinking but everyone is different
just know you arent alone man and we are all on your side

the grub joint was ok overall
i got a fancy bacon burger and the mrs got a cuban sandwich that wasnt that bad
but i still like the simple burgers the best
yeah ive been to hodads but thats more an old schoool place
they have good burgers and fries but if its bacon you want you are looking for a place called slaters 50/50; 50% beef/50% bacon grilled on a flat top
its decent but i still just like my burgers basic (and cheap!)
so this weekend we also saw a comercial on tv for a place called red robin
they have one locally so we might try them out on of these weekends; plus my friend said they have endless fries
thanks for giving me the run down on how the scoring works and where experts recommend picking a dst in the draft
i can see how the quality of the players left could effect your timing on picking dst
im going to try and remember all this and i will be sure to do my homework but forgive me if i ask there same questions again later when the season gets closer
speaking of kicker, how do ypou generally score them?
does the length of the field goal matter or is it just making the kick
/would a 45y field goal be worth more than a 35y kick?
extra point count as 1pt?
so how was the weekend brother? did you got to do any cooking