What's new

NFL 2018

pop_rocks

In my empire of dirt
420club
yeah r.wilson will be getting paid
but i actually think hes earned his money and he is one of the qbs who deserves to get paid
/he basically put that franchise on the map
i hear the cowboys might be willing to negotiate with prescott on a new deal, but insist it has to be "team friendly"
i can only imagine what mahomes will be getting in the next few years but think his will be another record setter, especially if he can keep the chiefs on top of the afc west
one of my biddies said he saw Ab on dancing with the stas
i tihnk part of his move out west could have been to be closer to hollywood
who knows what he has planned for after the nfl but i can see him trying his hand at acting one day
rivers is putting up great numbers and has been injury free for most of his career for the most part
i guess he has troubles with his back from time to time but hes one tough hombre
you are right, he could easily play for the next three years at the top of his game (or near enough) as long as he dosent get hurt
thats how we started browning the carnitas too baba'
we would just throw it ina hot pan and let it sizzle but eventually moved on to the broiler
its pretty much the same thing, cooking the meat low and slow then browning it up at the end
so do you have any plans for the holiday weekend?
the mrs wants to hike up a mountain early sunday morning so we can watch the sunrise
i am cool with that but we are also supposed to go to a friends house for easter lunch/ dinner
sounds like a lot of busy living if you ask me and i see this seriously cutting into my drinking time
maybe i will have to roll a fatty to smoke once we reach the top of the hill and once we get home you know im gone'drank
/the power of christ compels me!

Bababooey

Horse-toothed Jackass
Veteran
There was some talk that the hawks should trade Wilson and get another QB in the draft; with all the cap space they’d save on a cheap rookie qb over paying Wilson 35M a year, plus the draft picks they’d get for him (3 or 4 1st rounders?) they could be just as good or better than if they kept him.
But I guess they went the safe route and re-signed him. It’s hard to find a franchise QB, a top 7-8 guy, so when one lands in your lap in the 3rd round you have to pay up or gamble finding an equivalent guy in the draft. And pete carroll is a good enough defensive mind that they were able to reload with young players on that side; they’re not Legion of Boom good but theyre pretty good usually, although they gave up a ton of points to the rams (both times) and chiefs.

Prescott was criminally underpaid as a 4th round pick, so im sure his agent will want something like 30M a year, and the ‘Boys will counter at 25M a year, so I think they’ll come to terms on 27.5M/yr for 4 years, maybe a real nice 50M signing bonus and 80M guaranteed overall. He’s not an elite passer and never will be, but he keeps turnovers down and runs well and therefore helps wins games. The ‘Boys had a bunch of crap at QB between aikman and romo, I don’t think they want to go through that again.

Antonio was on Dancing with the stars a couple three years ago, he’s also been in a lot of commercials for draftkings and pizza hut. He was amusing in those bit parts, not sure if that will translate to more acting roles but I guess it’s possible. Speaking of former steelers acting, james Harrison is getting into acting in Hollywood, think he had a bit part on Chicago fire recently. He’s this big muscular bald dude, im sure he can get roles as Bad Guy #3 in action movies.

No plans for the weekend, except maybe finally getting that grill cleaned, lol. That mountain hike at the crack of dawn sounds intimidating, but if it offers a chance for a wake n bake at the end (well, hike and bake I guess) maybe it will be worth it. I hope the meal at the friends’ place afterwards comes at lunch instead of dinner, so you can end your day early and just chill the rest of easter at home, smoking and drinking. If you have any wine that day you can pretend it's the blood of Jesus, washing away your sins...

pop_rocks

In my empire of dirt
420club
/rubs chin thoughtfully
/thinks about how wine washes away sin
/imagines that scene from the shining when the hallways fill with blood
were gonna need a bigger bottle

cleaning the grill sounds like a good way to kick off spring plus you could always throw something quick like burgers or a nice steak on the fire to celibrate your victory
whats the weather supposed to be like this weekend?
/i bet you have access to good meat living in the midwest
im wiht you and hope to wrap up the easter celebration early so i can get some couch time in
im cool with the hike and if i dont toke on the hill i will totally blaze once we get bck home

i think wilson has earned his money and plays a big role in keeping seatle afloat in the west
the 9rs should be a lot better team this year with a healthy jimiG and i see the rams as the team to beat
the seahawks are going to have to make some tough choices i hear because of cap limitations but i think wilson is worth the price
i tihnk if they tagged him he would still get soemthing in the 30m range and that would only go up each year so locking him in for the next four years in about that range isnt that bad a deal
plus now they cna look at drafting other talent like linemen or maybe a rb
prescott is good and might make the jump to elite one of these days, but i think the c'boys are comited to him for the time being
thanks for getting me up to speed on antonio browns acting resume
i could totally see j.harrison playing the role of bad guy!
pair him up with terry cruise and you have yourself two bad mother...shut your mouth!
/hey, im just talking about shaft

so the nfl schedules come out later tongiht and im excited about the rams
i saw the opponents but not the dates
so far it looks like a fun season, im especially interested in the cleveland game!
looks like we get to start next season with your bears v gb, which is a great way to kick off a new year
im totally ready for some football!

pop_rocks

In my empire of dirt
420club
i played a few years but quit so i could spend more time surfing
so what do you think the giants should do with their #1 pick?

big315smooth

mama tried
Veteran
i slowly faded out of football for last few years. life got busy. my brother is the diehard he fills me in on stuff. i will always be a fan though. how they played last few years i didnt miss much. whats your favorite team

Bababooey

Horse-toothed Jackass
Veteran
Ive never played football outside of pick up games with friends, and will admit that im one of the most uncoordinated people youll ever meet. I could train for years and still be 100x worse than the worst NFL player. So I have great respect for what they do, even the ones who wash out of the league are exceptional athletes.

The giants are not in a good place right now and may be even worse next year, but for hope just look to the browns. They won 1 game over 2 seasons, then last year were 7-8-1 and now might be superbowl contenders this season. You hit on some good draft picks and trades, especially QB, you can turn your team around in a season or two, it doesn’t have to be a 5 year rebuild.

Haha Pop, that sounds like the line from Jaws, ‘we’re going to need a bigger boat’. I myself have a bottle of red stashed away that ill guzzle on Sunday to wash away my many sins.

Russell Wilson was able to manufacture offense with his scrambling even when the ‘Hawks had the worst O-line in the league, and he’s put up top 5 qb numbers without elite receivers. So he’s definitely worth top QB money, but most experts feel the hawks championship window is closed for now, it was better when they paid Wilson less than 1M/yr and could afford that historically great defense.

Im not sure if ive heard of any well known ex-nfl players to have decent acting careers, at least recently. Jim brown and alex karras had decent acting gigs after being successful in pro football. Brian Bosworth I guess got some acting gigs after washing out of the nfl. In the future, I suppose Gronk is more likely to have a good acting career over brown or Harrison. Not that he’s any better of an actor, but he’s more famous at least, and will probably consent to using the casting couch to get choice roles. “Mrs Spielberg, are you trying to seduce me?”

The NFL schedule came out, like you said Pop, and the bears are projected to have the 5th toughest schedule in the league. They play the NFC East (cowboys and eagles) and AFC west (chargers and chiefs) and also play the rams again. Also playing the packers and Vikings twice each could be rough, theyre due for bounceback seasons after not making the playoffs last year.

The aforementioned Browns play MNF once and SNF twice in the first 5 weeks of the season, so everybody will get a good look at them, if theyre going to be legit or not.

It’s supposed to be sunny and 60-70 this weekend, so ideal bbq-ing weather. Ill let you know how it goes with the cleaning and the grilling, maybe ill photodocument the process and post the results here.

pop_rocks

In my empire of dirt
420club
pics would be rad baba
sometimes is not the results but the effort and im sure you will be wearing a big grin after you get this done
looks like gronk is hoping to start a new career in baseball; what if this is the beginning of the gronk curse and the patriots see a hundred years of bad luck because of what he did
in addition to not having a good team around him the nfc west has gotten a whole lot better
rams are the team to beat hands down and the 9rs could be interesting this season too
i was looking at the schedule and am excited about getting to see the browns play
they match up against the rams once and will be on tv a few times
the bills play the cowboys on thanksgiving so im looking forward to that one as well
still taking it all in but it looks like its going to be a fun season
so i also peaked at the raiders schedule and it looks like they have on big hill to climb
/the first half is stacked with playoff teams from last season
i mentioned it to my friend at work who thinks this is going to be their year but i dident go into detail because i dident want to squash our wager;i just mentioned he should take a look
/if he wants to back out now i wouldent hold it against him
its been a long and crazy week and i cant wait for the weekend
hope you are having a great week brother!

FoxFace

Ive never played football outside of pick up games with friends, and will admit that im one of the most uncoordinated people youll ever meet. I could train for years and still be 100x worse than the worst NFL player. So I have great respect for what they do, even the ones who wash out of the league are exceptional athletes.

The giants are not in a good place right now and may be even worse next year, but for hope just look to the browns. They won 1 game over 2 seasons, then last year were 7-8-1 and now might be superbowl contenders this season. You hit on some good draft picks and trades, especially QB, you can turn your team around in a season or two, it doesn’t have to be a 5 year rebuild.

Haha Pop, that sounds like the line from Jaws, ‘we’re going to need a bigger boat’. I myself have a bottle of red stashed away that ill guzzle on Sunday to wash away my many sins.

Russell Wilson was able to manufacture offense with his scrambling even when the ‘Hawks had the worst O-line in the league, and he’s put up top 5 qb numbers without elite receivers. So he’s definitely worth top QB money, but most experts feel the hawks championship window is closed for now, it was better when they paid Wilson less than 1M/yr and could afford that historically great defense.

Im not sure if ive heard of any well known ex-nfl players to have decent acting careers, at least recently. Jim brown and alex karras had decent acting gigs after being successful in pro football. Brian Bosworth I guess got some acting gigs after washing out of the nfl. In the future, I suppose Gronk is more likely to have a good acting career over brown or Harrison. Not that he’s any better of an actor, but he’s more famous at least, and will probably consent to using the casting couch to get choice roles. “Mrs Spielberg, are you trying to seduce me?”

The NFL schedule came out, like you said Pop, and the bears are projected to have the 5th toughest schedule in the league. They play the NFC East (cowboys and eagles) and AFC west (chargers and chiefs) and also play the rams again. Also playing the packers and Vikings twice each could be rough, theyre due for bounceback seasons after not making the playoffs last year.

The aforementioned Browns play MNF once and SNF twice in the first 5 weeks of the season, so everybody will get a good look at them, if theyre going to be legit or not.

It’s supposed to be sunny and 60-70 this weekend, so ideal bbq-ing weather. Ill let you know how it goes with the cleaning and the grilling, maybe ill photodocument the process and post the results here.
photos will be magic :woohoo:

Bababooey

Horse-toothed Jackass
Veteran
Alright, i got 2 votes for pics, guess the people have spoken. Sad thing is that i dont think ill have any meat to grill, other than frozen burgers and dogs, but maybe i can dig up something to smoke. If nothing else I can smoke the burgers and dogs, that shouldn’t take too long…

For some reason the patriots are keeping the dent in the trophy after gronk used it for batting practice, maybe because it adds ‘character’. I guess when you have so many of something, if one is a little bent or broken it’s not a big deal.

Raiders look like they play the nfc north (bears, packers, vikes) and afc south (colts texans) so yeah, having to play them plus chiefs and chargers twice each is no picnic. But we'll see what they do in the draft, they already have antonio brown, if they get some good young players they could be interesting the next few years.

pop_rocks

In my empire of dirt
420club
when you look at the quality of the competition the raiders will be facing this season i dont even see them finishing above .500 even in the best case scenario
two pro bowl caliber qbs twice a year (rivers & mahomes) plus rogers and luck, the bears D and an up and coming texans team...
/lets that sink in
losing has a way of becoming contagious and i think they could easily lose their first 8 games
i would not turn up my nose at that spread brother,burgers and hot dogs are good eatting baba'
i wouldent wast the time smoking them, but put them on some heat and have a fun with the new grill
hope you had a great week man and an even better weekend
enjoy your easter and if you have a chance a say a prayer for pops

looks like we might have a new member to our little cabal, you like football foxface?

Bababooey

Horse-toothed Jackass
Veteran
I thought you were exaggerating when you said oakland might start off 0-8, but looking at their schedule they start off with broncos, chiefs, vikings, colts, bears, bye, packers, texans, lions. Of all those teams, oakland might only be favored in one game, vs the lions, and even that's iffy.

But we'll see. If they hit on all 3 of their 1st round picks they might be a lot more competitive than expected. But yeah, it's hard to think they'll even be .500 this year, much less a playoff team. But go ahead and make that bet with your buddy, if it makes you feel better you can give him good odds (like a bigger prize if he wins than if you win). But sports fandom is seldom completely rational, so dont feel too bad taking a sucker bet.

I keep thinking the bears D will regress some this year, if only in # of turnovers generated. They had something like 27 Int's last year, and i dont think that's sustainable year to year. A lot of turnovers is luck, especially fumble recoveries, and is prone to a lot of variance. But they'll still be good, assuming everyone is healthy. The nickle corner spot is also a concern, once bryan callahan went down last year, golden tate scored the go ahead TD for the eagles in their playoff game against the replacement nickleback. Now callahan is with the broncos, with the bears ex-DC (Fangio), and if the bears 3rd cornerback is ripe to be picked on, you know nfl coaches are just going to after him all game.

I want to make some really good smoked brisket in the komodo grill, Pop. Well made brisket is worth its weight in gold, but of the more than dozen attempts ive made, only one was really good. But yknow, try try again...

shithawk420

Veteran
Brisket is probably one of the hardest,if not the hardest meat to get right.its naturally tough so that's the problem.id imagine a good smoker and lots of time and patience is the key.
Got the draft next week boys.kinda excited.

Bababooey

Horse-toothed Jackass
Veteran
Yeah, a big whole brisket is like 15+ hours to smoke, maybe less if you cut off the point and smoke that separate from the flat. Some people separate the two for the last few hours of cooking.

Bears dont have a first or second rd pick this year, so they wont make their first pick until sometime Friday. Still, it should be interesting to see how the first half of the draft pans out, also what the giants and raiders do with their multiple 1st rd picks...

pop_rocks

In my empire of dirt
420club
you are totally right about brisket being hard to get right hawk
i agree that low and slow as the way to go
i also like to put some nice rub on the meat before cooking it and some people will add a meat tenderizer to their blend
im excited about the draft too, hawk; not just to see who will go #1 overall, but to see how several teams build for the future
it looks like this is the year to draft for the d'line/pass rush but there might also be some good hands available at wr/te
if the right guy is available, i would like to see the rams take a pass rusher or someone on the o'line with their #1 pick, but they draft so late that they might be able to get more value trading down, it all depends on whos still left on the board

the raiders definitely have a tough first half of the season and other than the lions or broncos i see them starting off 0-8/ 1-7
/of course this is football so anything can happen
but i dont see them being very competitive this upcoming year unless they really hit gold in the draft
/and even then they would be like maybe a .300 team
one weird thing was they sent their scouting staff home last week; they are that worried about someone slipping their intentions in the draft
we will see how it all shakes out and i cant wait to see this years rookie lineup

spring is in the air brother and i hope you had a great weekend!

Bababooey

Horse-toothed Jackass
Veteran
Yeah, having to maintain a steady temp for 15hrs is hard when im having trouble getting a proper fire going, I think my issue was not enough of the wood charcoal was lit, so once I turned down the air flow to bring temps down to 215-225 for smoking, after a few hours the fire would burn itself out even though there was still plenty of unburnt wood in there.

A lot of bbq gurus have a secret rub they use, sometimes I would go fancy and use a bunch of different spices, including cinnamon one time, but mostly I just go basic, salt black pepper paprika that’s it. You can even go more basic and just use a ‘zebra’ rub, which is just salt and black pepper. Any major taste difference from additional spices is usually cooked out in the 15+ hours it’s smoking, ime.

Im not sure what good pass rushers will be left at #31 overall, Pop, none of the big name guys for sure but you never know, if this class is that deep, then guys that come at the end of the first or even 2nd or 3rd rd can end up being almost as good as the top guys like Bosa or Oliver. Maybe better, depending on injuries.

Yeah, not sure what gruden and mayock are doing with the draft, is that pretty unusual, keeping the scouts out of the ‘war room’? Ive also heard that once draft prep is done, and scouts have turned in all their reports, then there’s no real need for them to be present. All the dudes in the war room are management types, the owner, and coaches. I’d be concerned if I were a raiders fan, but they started 1-8 last year and then went 3-4 rest of season, which hurt their draft spot but also maybe gives you hope theyre close to being an average team at least.

pop_rocks

In my empire of dirt
420club
happening brother!
hope you had a great easter holiday and things are starting to warm up in your area
i doubt any of the blue chip rookies will be left on the board but you never know, for one reason or another good players can fall once the draft gets going
/remember tunsil and the gas mask, i think k.allen of the chargers was a late draft pick
we will whos there and what the rams do later this week
i think it shows a lack of trust for the raiders to clear the room so to speak before the draft
i bet you are right and once they turn in their data their work is pretty much over
but its not something you hear toehr teams doing and it sounded weird to me
thats a good point about being able to maintain good heat to cook a brisket right
i bet it would be easier to start with some hcicken or a nice steak
chicken only needs about a hour or so on the grill, cooking it slow and a steak is an exercise in high temp cooking
ended up hiking to the top of a mountain this sunday before sunrise and watching the sun rise
a church group came up a little after we got there but we still had a great time
later, the girl had a friend over and we had a nice fat roast; they loved the cheesey scalloped potatoes mrsChicky made the most
for the life of me i could not get this kids name right
at first the girl was mortified that old dad couldent remember her friends name but after a few times they just thought it was just funny
/i wanted to tell them to give me a break; i was up since 4a and high as f#

Bababooey

Horse-toothed Jackass
Veteran
Yeah Pop, the weather was in the 70s the last 2 days, now it’s back to the 50’s. But it’s almost may, so it shouldn’t be any colder than that from now on, although there might be a lot of rain the next few weeks…
There are always top 5 or 10 draft picks that fall, but usually not that far. Tunsil you mentioned, most people thought he was a top 5-6 pick and I think he fell to #11 or 13 after his gas mask bong pic was posted on social media. Which, sad that there’s still prejudice against people who smoke, but honestly 10 or 20 years ago teams would have avoided him till the 3rd or 4th round if they thought he was a pothead, so maybe falling less than 10 spots wasnt that bad.
Derwin james last year fell to #17 after being a probable top 10 pick; his great rookie year showed he should have been a higher pick. And maybe the biggest one, aaron Rodgers was thought to be a #1 overall pick, but alex smith went first to the niners and Rodgers had to wait till the 20’s before the packers, who already had favre, finally picked him. That was a real painful wait in the draft’s ‘green room’ for him, I think back then there were only 4-6 guys showing up to the draft (now there’s like 15-20) and he was the last guy in the room for hours (teams had like 15mins to pick back then, not 10), cameras just sitting there in his face. The angle they had on him made it seem like he was all alone in the room, even though his agent and mom were next to him. But like brady, he’s used that disrespect at the draft to fuel his career.

So you know, it’s possible really talented guys fall in the 1st round, maybe not into #31 overall, but doesn’t mean that cant happen. Who knows, maybe it’ll be a QB? If they don’t want to pay goff 30M on his 2nd contract, they can retool with a new QB with maybe more potential. Someone who can, yknow, score more than 3 pts in a superbowl.

You would think of all the people that go in and out of a draft war room, one or two would be scouts, at least the head scout. But maybe it’s not that unusual for scouts not to be present at an actual draft, who knows. I think it was a few years ago that the telecast of the cowboys war room showed their draft board, their current ranking of players, which is what the raiders wanted to prevent their own scouts from seeing.

[FONT=&quot]Haha, yeah getting up at 4am and then getting super high would mess me up for sure. Especially after a big meal and some dranks, yeah stick a fork in me and im done. Ill just lay over here with my hat pulled low, ‘resting my eyes’. [/FONT]

pop_rocks

In my empire of dirt
420club
ahahah you understand where im coming from baba'; we all need to rest our eyes from time to time
no matter how tired i was it was all worth it
the mrs was really happy i went hiking with her and it was fun just spending a few moments alone together on top of the hill

yeah i dont see any of the top-10 slipping but like you said you never know
this years top ten is kind of up in the air
i doubt the rams are looking to replace goff
i think he is going to continue to develope and will have another great season (hopefully his receivers will all be abck full strength)
my question is how is gurleys knee and even more important how will it be next december
i heard the chiefs traded away their first round pick today for a d'lineman
they were also picking low but i think this would have beena good draft to pick up a pass rusher in
not %100 on the terms of the deal but it was a couple picks this year (1st and 3rd?)and a pick from next year (not their 1st rounder)
its good they are going all in and building for this season but i think they could have traded up this year and drafted someone just as good...
/should prob read about the trade more before i go on
this week is the draft and i cant wait to see how things shake out
-where does k.murray go
-do the chargers/giants/pats draft or trade for a qb?
-who gets nick bosa
-what about the other top names in this years draft (oliver, haskins, allen etc.)
-what do the rams do with their pick?
all this and so much more to come! stay tuned

thats great that the weather was nice for the weekend and it gives you a taste of whats to come
its starting to feel like the change in the seasons here and im getting more and more into my summer grove

MrBungle

This is the first time I can remember not giving a shit about the draft since I was a kid... I still expect some surprises, cause John Dorsey a football wizard... I don't think he will get back into the 1st round this season.. but he has 3 5th round picks I'm sure there is something he can do with those