What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

NFL 2018

Bababooey

Horse-toothed Jackass
Veteran
Your tips on fires for bbq-ing make sense. Yknow, back when i was really trying to get into bbqing, i bought one of those japanese ceramic egg grills/cookers? Because it could go from 700 degrees to sear steaks to 200 degrees to smoke meats? But i always had a devil of a time trying to get the fire and temp right with the hardwood charcoal i'd load in there, when i'd smoke meats it was always too hot and when i'd cook steaks the fire was too high - you want the charcoal hot but no actual flames coming up and touching and burning your steak. Thats partly why i gave up bbqing, wasnt hardly working right for me. Maybe i should break it out again and try again though, sometimes it did turn out fine...

I dont mind a nice sweet bbq so maybe ill give that toscino marinade a spin. Doesnt it have a sort of citrus-y (orange or lemon like) taste to it also?

I forgot you have hills out in socal so yeah, those are a bear to ride up, but i guess it makes for a nice restful ride down, as long as youre not going too fast.

I think the raiders are working out both kyler murray and dwayne haskins this week, so all this talk about carr being their guy, im not sure, i think derek should be worried until april's draft. Sad thing for him is that he's got no guaranteed money left on his deal, and what would the trade market for him be like? You noted before that theres not too many teams that need a new starting QB. Would the giants trade for him? Miami has fitzmagic and denver has flacco, derek is probably better than those guys but maybe those teams want to tank next year for Tua/Herbert. On another team, derek may be looking at a backup job.

Gronk retired this past weekend, via social media. He's been in the league 10years, won 3 championships and led all players with 80tds during his career. I guess we'll continue seeing him in the WWE and bad movies, he's got a lucrative career in entertainment waiting for him. He's got the physique of an action hero, but does anyone think he has the charisma and acting ability to be a movie star? His natural persona seems to be Goofy Party-bro, it'd be a stretch to believe him in any other role...

pop_rocks

In my empire of dirt
420club
He'll be the "party bro" lugging around the belt fed machine gun chasing predator in predator 7

that or i see him doing some type of mtv reality show, gronks party island
lets not forget his brothers are as gronk as he is; fly them all out to the caribean and host some type of drama filled booze party fest
throw in several bro types and a bunch of "instagram" models in bikinis
mix with alcohol and you have a hit show
i wonder how he would do in a broadcast booth?
speaking of which, i hear romo wants a 10m/ season deal to stay in the booth

i think you are right and there are a few teams i could see being interested in murray
who knows, it could all be a bluff but i still think its the raiders or the giants who have the most interest in him
so im hearign a lot of talk about some proposed new rules and so far i dont like any of them
changes to the replay system, new kick off rules? i only caught a glimpse of the headlines but we will see what sticks

those are the kamado grills if im thinking of the same thing, baba'
they are good grills but i have an ald webber kettle i use for things like that
i would like to get one but they arent cheap and i dont know if its really the thing for me
if you have it i would give it another shot and im sure we could get you on track turning out some good meat
i like the old smokey joe for most things, its simple and easy to care for but depending on how you arrange your coals it can be used for a lot of different styles of cooking
the toscino dident have a noticeable citrus flavor on its own but a friend of mine did suggested using 7up instead of water but im sure there are so many ways to make it
getting good at bbq sounds like a great way to spend this summer!

Bababooey

Horse-toothed Jackass
Veteran
Haha, yeah, you guys have some good ideas. I’d watch that show, Pop. Gronk and his brothers in a beach house with a bunch of thots and alcohol? I can smell the scandal brewing.

I thought MNF was offering Peyton a bunch of money? Not sure why peyton wouldn’t jump on that, he’s already rich but it’s a good amount of money for a lot less work than being a player. Or maybe im wrong, and it’s a lot more prep work and film watching than I think it is. But you would think he likes studying film and being around the game, and it's certainly easier than actually playing and getting hit.

Yeah, owners have approved PI and non-PI calls being reviewable, to prevent the controversy in the saints-rams playoff game from happening again. Also all blindside blocks are illegal now, not just blindside hits above the neck. And if a coach is successful on his two challenges, he gets a 3rd challenge (not sure if this was the rule last year as well and just made permanent now)

Yeah, a good old kettle grill does the job if you want to run wood or charcoal, never had one of those but I did have a propane grill in addition to my kamado grill. I’ll see if I can shake the rust off the kamado and get it working again here, bad thing about bbq-ing in the Midwest is that basically half the year you cant really do it. Some people don’t mind bbq-ing in the dead of winter but it’s not for me, shoveling is about all I can handle being outside in the cold. And I did get 2-3 seasons out of the kamado before I said screw it, the result aint worth the effort. I just need to do a better job of making the fire right, I think I need to be more patient, it probably takes a good 20-30 mins for all the coals to get sufficiently lit, and then I can control the temp by adjusting the air flow using the top and bottom vents. But now I remember even that got to be a pain, the top vent cap is supposed to come off but after a while it got so caked with grease that when it was cold I couldn’t twist it off no matter how hard I tried. Ugh.

pop_rocks

In my empire of dirt
420club
if you like those ideas stick around brother, im sure me and the guys can come up with a few more!
im sure gronk has a top rate agent but if he ever needs any ideas...
/pantomimes the call me hand sign
thats funny you mention peyton because i was just talking with some people today about him and what hes been up to
i guess he ditched most of his papa john franchises and is sitting on a heap of money
/various estimates on his net worth, but forbes puts his net worth in at over 200m
but some guys have a hard time walking away from the game
he might be interesting enough in the broadcast booth but i think its kind of hit or miss as far as who can do well doing the play by play
im sure he could do well doing local color but i havent hear him enough to know how he would do on one of the big network shows
even tho he might have a great football mind there is just something about being interesting enough to be on tv week in and week out; plus im sure there is a lot of prep that goes on behind the scenes
but he does seem to be a great spokes person so im sure he could always find work doing commercials for almost anything
yeah i guess i take it for granted that we have grilling weather year round here in socal
ive had the vents stick on my grills before, usually from the permacrust of smokey grease that coats the inside of the thing
i think its worth having another go at the bbq and it wouldent surprise me one bit if there are a few other grill guys here
/chime in guys
if nothing else you spend a few weekends burning meat this summer

hope all you goons are having a great week and are looking ahead to an even better weekend

Bababooey

Horse-toothed Jackass
Veteran
I think gronk already filmed a small role in an upcoming action movie starring mel gibson and naomi watts called Boss Level.

https://officialize.com/@gronknatio...-out-the-big-guns-for-mel-gibson-s-boss-level

He's seen here firing a minigun. The noise, muzzle blast and shell casings makes me think it's the real thing, although he seems to be doing it inside a warehouse or movie set...

Doesnt gronk host 'party cruises' in the offseason, where people pay to join him and his bros on board a chartered cruise ship? I think he makes decent money doing that, that plus his endorsement money he lived off of and he saved 100% of his nfl salary.

Peyton, like michael jordan, continues to make a good living off his endorsements. He still does those nationwide insurance commercials, im still seeing those on tv. And i think he does stuff for espn, they have a new streaming service called espn+ thats like $5/month and he does video reviews of QB play. I think he did one video for every starting QB last year. Maybe he skipped his brother, just cause eli largely stunk and it'd be hard for him to be objective...

But i agree with you pop that it takes more than having a high football IQ to be entertaining on TV. But i figure he might be like Romo, he could predict upcoming plays with a lot of accuracy, even if it's just "here's what i would do here, Bob, in this situation..." But again, like you said, he doesnt really need to work anymore than he has to, which is probably why he hasnt gotten into coaching or being a GM yet, it's a grind working 12-18 hour days if your heart's not into it.

Yeah, without being able to remove the top vent cap i need to prop open the grill lid with stones or something metal, to get that airflow in there so the fire doesnt go out and also to build up enough heat inside where the grease melts and i can remove the vent cap. Afterwards, maybe i can put some tinfoil under the vent cap so it doesnt stick anymore, but i think i did that before and it still got stuck. :comfort:

Ah well, ur right, i should get back into grilling and smoking and all that good stuff, it's worth it if you do it right.

Jordy nelson retired yesterday, he and aaron rodgers hold the packers team record for most td passes by a QB-WR combo. He had a stretch of about 6 years where he was a legit top 5-10 WR, even though he only had one pro bowl season in his career. He spent last season with the raiders, when the packers didnt want to pay him 10M last year and cut him. I still think if green bay signs him for 2-3M, he still has that chemistry with rodgers and could get 900yds and 8-9 tds easy as a #2 or 3 WR (devante adams is their #1). But i cant go giving the pack any ideas, im still afraid that lafleur will revive rodgers career and he'll tear up the division this season...

pop_rocks

In my empire of dirt
420club
so im hearing rumors that there might be a few teams willing to trade away a draft pick or two for rosen
im hearing there are a few teams seriously interested in last years #10 pick including ne, nyg, and la'cocs
supposedly someone is willing to part with a 2nd rounder but az seems to think they can get a first round pick
(i tihnk they trades away their 1st, 3rd and a 5th round pick to move up and draft rosen last year)
this thickens the plot in the whole whos going #1 drama, but it could also be a red hearing to try and drum up some urgency among any teams interested
i also read ed oliver had a beastly pro day and put up some amazing numbers across the board in things like the 40, broad jump, three cone drill and bench press
ive heard gronk has been playing it smart with his money like you mentioned and it sounds like he has at least a couple side gigs
i could totally see him hosting party cruises and its a good way to get a fun vacation all expenses paid, plus some pocket money
ive seen a video of him going full cyclic with a real mini gun and he totally has that action hero persona
i mean if the rock and batista can make the jump and become stars on the big screen gronk is a lock; the guy is legit big and bad but still retains a boyish charm that would play so well in hollywood

when you bbq, you need to be able to modulate the air flow into your rig to keep your temps in the sweet spot
have you tried cleaning the sucker really good using ez-off or one of those heavy duty grease cleaners? start the season with a fresh grill and hopefully the vents wont seize up on you
i just grab something substantial and just bang that sucker open if the heat isnt enough to loosen things up
or just go hot and start out by cooking things without the cover; steaks, burgers and hot dogs are all things you can cook wide open like that
i hope your week is wrapping up nicely and you are all set for a nice relaxing weekend!

Bababooey

Horse-toothed Jackass
Veteran
Yeah, I heard the patriots were interested in trading for rosen. They don’t have a high first round pick (32nd overall) to trade but they have two 2nd rounders and three 3rd rounders. You would think the cardinals want as much draft capital as they can get for rosen, since as you pointed out they had to give up 3 picks to trade up for him last year (they traded with the raiders to move up from #15 to #10).
If the patriots get rosen, I think the rest of the league should be worried. If brady plays 3 more years, till he’s 45, then rosen gets to step in next year, in his 5th year (still on his rookie deal, but that 5th year isn’t cheap, probably will be 20M for that year) and prove that he can be the successor to the GOAT. Obviously belichick doesn’t have another 15+ years of coaching in him (he’d be 81 by then) but he might want to hang on for the first few years of rosen starting, if rosen can keep the patriots elite.

Oliver’s 3 cone shuttle was as fast as a WR, which for a D-lineman means he has elite quickness. He’s definitely a top 10 pick, maybe top 5, my only concern with him was he got into it with his college coach, major Applewhite, because the coach didn’t want him wearing a jacket on the sideline if he wasn’t going to be playing (seems like a silly rule but whatever). On the way into the locker room at halftime oliver starting shouting at Applewhite and had to be held back by an asst coach. I get that he felt disrespected when Applewhite came up and pulled off his jacket, but there’s better ways to handle it.

It’ll be interesting to see how gronk’s movie career evolves, like ah-nold or the rock he’s going to first have to accept roles where he doesn’t really have to act or speak much but once he builds up his persona/star power then he can expand to leading man status. Of course he may never advance beyond a B-level movie star, but that’s fine for him, he’s got tens of millions saved up and can make tens of thousands of dollars to show up at clubs or parties as a celebrity party-bro, like paris Hilton did back in the day.

Ur right, I have to stop being lazy and put some elbow grease into my grill game. Gotta clean up that grease with some oven cleaner or de-greaser; is vinegar good for that? Also have to work on perfecting how to light the wood charcoal on fire, I was using 2-3 of these firestarting wax squares but it’d still light the mass unevenly. Maybe I need to mix it around once a few pieces are lit to try to get a nice even burn. And ive tried doing that before, cooking the high heat foods (steaks, etc) first and then turning it down and putting a brisket or pork butt to smoke. But the charcoal tends to run out before the food is fully smoked, especially brisket, which takes like 15hrs for a big hunk of meat…

Sunshineinabag

Please please please.....somebody convince MARA to get RID Of Eli, please!? I've waited patiently......dude Antonio pierce somewhere is saying wtf!?

pop_rocks

In my empire of dirt
420club
im pretty sure this is elis last dance
he is not the qb he once was and im sure he knows that all it takes is one big hit and his career is over
i tihnk this is the year nyg gets serious about finding his successor

thats a great point about the pats having a couple 2nd rounders and could use one to trade for rosen
at some point the dynasty has to collapse but rosen could be a back up/ protege for brady
/plus it could also boost rosens value down the line; just like garapaolo
ed olivers numbers were off the charts and drew comparison to a lot of big names
32 reps on the bench (n.suh)
120" broad jump (a.cooper /the wide out!) jj.watt
a better shuttle time than leveon bell...
there are a couple teams in the top-5 that could use a big time pass rusher and after bosa i think the next pass rush defender to go is kind of up in the air
this draft should be a lot of fun and i cant wait

vinegar is a good grease cutter but if its as bad as you say, i think you might have to go all out to get it cleaned
i would spray the shit out of it with the most caustic stuff you can find and let it sit in the sun for a while, then spray it again and using hot water and alot of muscle go to town on the thing
ive never used those wax starters to light a grill but im sure they are ok
i use just a touch of lighter fluid most of the time but also used to use one of those chimney starters
pile your coals in a pyramid and let is get going, then collapse the mound and if you see any spots that need more red coals move a few around
then let that sit a few and you shoudl be good to go
hope you had a great week brother and are all set for a fun weekend!

Bababooey

Horse-toothed Jackass
Veteran
I think the giants will choose a QB with their 1st rd pick (#6) overall this year, probably Dwayne haskins, assuming kyler murray is gone by then. They seem to be in full rebuild mode, having traded away OBJ and let landon Collins walk. Or, maybe they’ll go defense with their pick and stick with Eli for one more farewell season, thinking that maybe he’s earned it having won two superbowls for the franchise in the last 15 years. If so, then the giants should be even worse next year and will likely have a top 3 pick and can choose one of Tua, Herbert or Fromm in 2020.

Youre right that eli is getting worse with age but the sad thing is that he happens to be very durable, he throws the ball away before taking big hits. If he kept getting injured the team might have moved on to another qb by now but he’s been a rock for them. A sucky rock who continually underthrows or overthrows his receivers.

The niners have the 2nd overall pick and are likely to take Nick Bosa. They drafted soloman Thomas 2 years ago with the #3 overall pick but he’s been pretty bad, on their d-line only arik armstead and deforest buckner are any good, and those two were top ten picks. They need more pass rush and Bosa looks like he could be a top 10 edge guy as a rookie.

Yeah, my egg grill needs a thorough cleaning, it’s covered in dirt and spiderwebs and rusty. I had a cover on it the last couple years but the humidity still builds up under the cover so things have gotten dusty and rusty on it, gonna need some cleaner and steel wool to scrub it off.
That chimney thing is a good idea, lighting up a bunch of coals and then once theyre all red hot spreading it on top of the charcoal, get a nice even blaze going. I have to master the fire before I can master the meat. Or something like that…

Sunshineinabag

I think the giants will choose a QB with their 1st rd pick (#6) overall this year, probably Dwayne haskins, assuming kyler murray is gone by then. They seem to be in full rebuild mode, having traded away OBJ and let landon Collins walk. Or, maybe they’ll go defense with their pick and stick with Eli for one more farewell season, thinking that maybe he’s earned it having won two superbowls for the franchise in the last 15 years. If so, then the giants should be even worse next year and will likely have a top 3 pick and can choose one of Tua, Herbert or Fromm in 2020.

Youre right that eli is getting worse with age but the sad thing is that he happens to be very durable, he throws the ball away before taking big hits. If he kept getting injured the team might have moved on to another qb by now but he’s been a rock for them. A sucky rock who continually underthrows or overthrows his receivers.

The niners have the 2nd overall pick and are likely to take Nick Bosa. They drafted soloman Thomas 2 years ago with the #3 overall pick but he’s been pretty bad, on their d-line only arik armstead and deforest buckner are any good, and those two were top ten picks. They need more pass rush and Bosa looks like he could be a top 10 edge guy as a rookie.

Yeah, my egg grill needs a thorough cleaning, it’s covered in dirt and spiderwebs and rusty. I had a cover on it the last couple years but the humidity still builds up under the cover so things have gotten dusty and rusty on it, gonna need some cleaner and steel wool to scrub it off.
That chimney thing is a good idea, lighting up a bunch of coals and then once theyre all red hot spreading it on top of the charcoal, get a nice even blaze going. I have to master the fire before I can master the meat. Or something like that…

I digress Eric flowers was a tulip......he singlehandedly almost got Eli decked on a few occaisions! Having tom coughlin secure MEN around Eli ........he had time and for awhile the closet thing to a human giraffe to throw to called plaxico........I miss those days.....I can't even watch normally....then saquon came along......this kid gives me nice dreams! Dave megget....eat your heart out!

pop_rocks

In my empire of dirt
420club
i think its a good move to let a rookie qb mentor under a veteran; drafting a qb this year gives the new guy a chance to ease his way into the pros and learn as much as he can from eli
i agree that the giants are in full on rebuild mode baba' and can see them looking to fill a number of holes
even with improvement, i see them being a bottom of the league team for the next couple years
the niners could be a turn around team next season, but the nfc west is still a tough division to play in
the rams are the team to beat and as long as seatle has wilson they should be a competitive
i like d.buckner and think bosa is the best defensive player in the draft, they could also go wth one fo the other big bodies up from but think bosa brings the perfect combination of strength and speed
thats so true baba about having to master your fire before you can expect to make good bbq
hopefully the weather is starting to get nice on your end and you can get outside and start getting back on the grill
you got this my man! clean that rig up and lets get you back into the game!

Bababooey

Horse-toothed Jackass
Veteran
Ah, plaxico burress. Remember back in ’08, the giants were like 10-1 the season after beating the 18-0 patriots in the superbowl, they were stomping their way to another title when plaxico thought he could carry his glock tucked into the waistband of his tracksuit without a belt or holster. Fell out while walking in a NY club, he grabbed it by the trigger and shot himself in the leg. Bye bye repeat superbowl.

Most people think the giants should have picked a QB instead of saquon last year, but saquon is a special talent at RB and if you’ve seen the trash that the giants were trotting out at RB the last few years you’d understand as well.

It used to be the case, Pop, that teams would want a veteran to ease in the rookie qb, but lately that doesn’t seem to be the case. For one, im not sure a lot of veterans want to mentor the guy whos going to take their job. For ex, favre wasn’t especially mentoring of Rodgers with the packers. Second, young QBs are coming in a lot more prepared, these kids are studying film in grade school some of them. If the veteran qb sucks hard im not sure any head coach is going to wait to put the rookie in. Glennon was pulled for trubisky after a 1-3 record, Keenum was pulled for goff in goff’s rookie year. Neither trubisky or goff had good rookie years but they were considered better options than the veterans that started the season.
That’s why I think if the giants draft haskins that he’s going to start for eli as some point this season, maybe week 4 or week 8…

I think a lot of the niners’ potential rests on how garappolo does, they gave him a big contract, he hasn’t shown he can play more than 5-6 games in a season without getting hurt. If he’s a legit top 10 guy and stays healthy then niners fans can breathe easy, if he falls in the 13-18 QB range and/or struggles with injuries then they have to start worrying if he’s the long term answer at the position. Good thing is that after this year they can release him in 2020 without owing him any more guaranteed money.

But ur right Pop, the rams are the bully in that division now, and the hawks seem to always be good with carroll and Wilson, the niners are going to have a handful in that division even if they get good again.

Ill see this week about cleaning up the grill, not looking forward to the mess but shouldn’t take more than an hour or three to get it ready. I still have a bag of wood charcoal too, so that’s nice. Now if only I can find my firestarting cubes..

Sunshineinabag

What a great coach mcveigh is man! Gosh he gives me goosebumps with his energy. We should start a barb b que Thread so I can learn from u guys about proper fires....I can pan fry cook a ribeye like Gordon Ramsey ...on a grill.....idk....never tried! I like getting the pan super hot and searing the steak style!

shithawk420

Veteran
Nobody gonna talk about Da Bears!? It's over.long as we get a kicker we're gonna beat some ass.rumor I heard is Robbie Gould might come back.im stoked

pop_rocks

In my empire of dirt
420club
i hear you hawk, da'bears are going to be back strong this season
led by a mean defense i think the bears are the team to beat in the nfc north and as long as trubs continues to grow you have one of the most complete teams in your division
so im hearing talk about a shake up at the rb spot in chi'town?

the nfl is a competative league and i can see how some guys might be less than willing to share their knowledge with the younger guys baba'
but in elis case, i dont see him competing for his job and its not like he is being forced out
all said,i think he has been treated well by the giants organisation his whole career and its simply a matter of attrition
/ i wounder how many years eli would say he has left
ithink it was a good move taking barkley in the first round of the draft last year; like you said guys like him dont come along that often
he had the pedigree coming out of college and put up solid numbers as a rookie
the guy is a beast and an asset you can build around on offense
yeah the clean up isnt going to be pretty baba but you have to get get it done before you can take the next step
just set it in the sun and i would even light a fire in it, get everything softened up and then just go to town with a scratch pad (one of those green or black fiber scrubbers)
wear gloves and it helps if you are high
/and maybe just a little drunk

stick around sunshine and you will find a few recipes here and there for all kinds of things
ive had some decent steaks made in stove tops,man!
you have one of those heavy cast iron skillets?
how do you like to season your meats?

Bababooey

Horse-toothed Jackass
Veteran
Speaking of McVay, he recently played a practical joke on kliff kingsbury, the new Arizona coach. They were at dinner together with Patrick mahomes, who played for kingsbury in college, and mcvay had a friend pretend to be roger goodell, the league commissioner, and text him saying it’s tampering for kingsbury to have dinner with mahomes, who plays for the chiefs, and that Arizona is going to lose draft picks. Kingsbury was freaking out for a bit, thinking he was going to lose the #1 pick, before mcvay admitted it was all fake.

Part of the reason I haven’t grilled in so long is that when I do cook steaks, which is rarely, a hot cast iron skillet gets that nice sear so I don’t NEED a grill to cook it. And I cook mostly chicken anyway, which always cooks well in the oven. But I do miss that nice wood flavor that a good BBQ imparts to the meat.

Hey hawk, good to see youre still around. I think the bears will do good this year, but the packers with a new coach and a rejuvenated Rodgers could be tough, the Vikings could bounce back, and even the lions could be dangerous again if Stafford rediscovers his mojo. So we’ll see how it shakes out but the north won’t be a pushover. And Gould has been franchise tagged by the niners, so he’s going to stick with them at least another year.

Yeah pop, that’s kind of been the storyline with Eli and the giants, he’s been at best an average QB the last 3 years but the fans and ownership are still loyal to him for winning 2 rings. That loyalty is holding the team back from moving on to a better QB. But we’ll see what they do this draft, if they go QB #6 overall that’s a clear sign theyre ready to move on.
Eli is 38 and healthy, he’s not playing great but he’s still out there slinging it (4200 yds, 21 tds and 11ints last year), im sure if you asked him he’d say he’s got another year or two left at least, Brady and brees are proving you can play well into your 40’s, even though eli’s last good season was when he was 35.

I think that’s very good advice, Pop, to clean the grill when it’s still warm from a fire. I’ll dust it off and clean it a bit, then light a small fire and let that burn out and then finish cleaning it when it’s warm, the grease and stuff should come off much easier then, maybe the rust too…

Latest posts

Latest posts