What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

NFL 2017

Space Toker

Veteran
OH once again we got it done barely while looking craptacular much of the time... yes the defense was a sign of hope and a few great offensive plays too, but as spoiled as us NE fans are, it looked underwhelming to me at least despite Brady setting a new record. Well we got off to a rough start and they got off to a great one, i was cursing them but let's face it they did well early give credit where due... we had a nice quarter and then the rest was like a field goal on either side and not impressive at all... yeah the controversial TD that wasn't may ruffle Jet feathers, but we should have had like 3 roughing the passer calls we did not get but that was a little justice for all that... Go Patriots!!!

Bababooey

Horse-toothed Jackass
Veteran
The patriots are 4-2 and lead the AFC-E as usual, but i think theyre the only defense in history to give up 300yds passing to qb's 6 games in a row. I saw a bit of the game on the red zone channel and their problem is they appear to have the pass rush of a very good jr college program. They still have 10 games to tighten things up on that end though.

Another week, another superstar down for the count. The whole packers offense takes a hit in fantasy with rodgers out for 6-8 weeks, maybe the season if he needs surgery. Brett hundley may be serviceable in relief, but if he keeps racking up turnovers the team might turn to joe callahan, who won the equivalent of the heisman trophy in Div III college ball.
Rodgers doesnt seem injury prone (last broke his collarbone 4 years ago), but it might be nice for the packers to develop a good backup qb just for times like these.

Trubs only had 1 turnover yesterday. Also completed only 8 passes. The run heavy game plan worked for the most part against the ravens, not sure if it's a winning formula if the rb's really get shut down.
The bears are 1-1 since the qb change, if they go .500 the rest of the season they'll finish with 7 wins. Unless the rest of the division totally wets the bed (possible for the packers without rodgers, vikings and lions not sure) the bears arent making the playoffs. Still, going .500 with a rookie qb would be promising for next year.

Cutler didnt look good yesterday but did throw for 2 scores. I think he's still working on getting that feel for his receivers, he didnt have a full camp with the fins and was retired over the summer. As the season goes along he may get better.

Ryan has been so average this year that i bet falcons fans wish they had shanahan (should have run the ball in the 2nd half of the superbowl) back as playcaller, instead of sarkisian, who appears to still be drunk at work because ryan has 6 tds and 6 ints in 6 games. That's a cutler-esque stat line...

pop_rocks

In my empire of dirt
420club
tough loss for green bay
like baba' said, this will send ripples through their whole offence
lets hope it isnt too serious and fwiw, i thought it was a legal hit
/yeah, he rode the QB a bit but he dident drive him to the ground

i dont think the rams are quite there yet either, but it looks like they have "turned the corner" so to speak
if goff continues to develop and the rest of their offence contributes they will def be a team in the mix. their defense has some stars and i am a huge fan of wade phillips

so did the raiders bring carr back too soon?
he looked terrible sunday and i wonder if his back was effecting his throws
lynch was able to run at beast mode level on a few plays, but in the end it just wasnt enough against a luke-warm chargers offence

Bababooey

Horse-toothed Jackass
Veteran
From one angle it looked like barr and rodgers sort of rolled as they hit the ground, so rodgers' shoulder didnt directly hit the turf. But from the back angle, it seemed like barr landed on rodgers more. Not sure it was dirty, but rodgers did release the ball just before barr grabbed him, so maybe there was some unnecessary continuation there.
Also, barr was brett hundley's roommate at UCLA, so maybe there was a conspiracy to hurt rodgers so hundley can take over...

The rams got 2 special teams TDs for for half of their 27 pts scored; the offense didnt do much, goff passed for less than 150 yds but had a td and no turnovers, and gurley rushed for over 100 yds but no scores. So they seem like a complete team at least, able to pull out wins when one unit isnt doing great.
Normally i'd be worried if a coordinator did very well, they would be hired as a head coach for another team, but wade is 70 y.o., which would make him the oldest HC in the league (pete carroll is the oldest now, at 66, but he's basically the world's oldest teenager so maybe he doesnt count).

The whole raiders offense hasnt looked good for most of the season, even before carr's injury. Maybe the o-line isnt playing as well, amari has sucked (decent game last week tho), RB's are average. They have the talent to turn it around of course, but at 2-4 (with 4 straight losses) things are starting to get urgent.

pop_rocks

In my empire of dirt
420club
good call on the rams developing on more than one front
i think goff is doing well for a second year player (esp at QB)
gurley is stepping up and running the ball again and i like the D, tho i still think they are a piece shy of being where they want to be to run wiht the big dogs
(they are a huge improvement from the 4-12 team they were last year)

yeah its not just carr but the whole raiders team that is looking mediocre
a big let down to what was one of the hottest teams in the league last year
right now it looks like they could still be in rebuilding mode which dosent bode well for the fans
KC got its first loss

hahhah youre killing me bababooey!
/bababooey uncovers the missing piece to the puzzle, arron rodgers injury was a set up!
i love a good consipracy theory! and yours actually pieces together!
/we just have to work the illuminati into this somehow and we have the begining of a solid internet meme

good game this thursday with the red hot chiefs facing the slumping raiders
both teams need a win here
nothing would turn the afc west on its side like a upset win by the raiders
im actually going to run with the chiefs and my boy, alex smith
/hes going to poke holes in the raiders secondary and pass for 300yds while hunt keeps the D off balance

so far im loving this season!

Space Toker

Veteran
The patriots are 4-2 and lead the AFC-E as usual, but i think theyre the only defense in history to give up 300yds passing to qb's 6 games in a row. I saw a bit of the game on the red zone channel and their problem is they appear to have the pass rush of a very good jr college program. They still have 10 games to tighten things up on that end though.

I never wish for injuries, well if someone really torches us I think about it briefly but then regret it and would never in the end wish it. I don't remember agreeing so much with you in the past to say the least, maybe confused with another guy, but totally agree with 89 or more percent what you say now. No pass rush, so many passing yards especially long passes given up, shocked we won more than 1 game that way! WTF is wrong?! They seem to be tightening it up parts of this last game so hope springs eternal. Lots of new pieces and a lot of other excuses analysts make but they can be anal cysts after all! :D bad joke sorry I hope Rogers is not too injured and we can have another crack at GB in the superbowl with a different outcome. But of course I have always been a spaced out dreamer a large part of my moniker "space toker'! :D Go Patriots!

Bababooey

Horse-toothed Jackass
Veteran
The thing with Goff is technically he hasnt played a full year yet (he started at the midway point of last year); so if he can be this good now, that's pretty promising for how good he'll get in the next year or two.
Raiders actually beat the chiefs this week, they seemed to get fired up when lynch ran onto the field and pushed a ref. Maybe he had flashbacks of the old raiders/chiefs battles of the 80s and 90s, and decided he needed to be in the scrum.
Alex smith put up great passing numbers again, he's on pace for a 4k yard, 30 td season, something he's never done before. Good for him.
I picked up hundley in one league as a flier, maybe he can produce with all those weapons, maybe he'll be terrible. We'll see.

Rodgers is one of the stars in this league so it's not good he's out for the season (probably) but im not sad for the packers; he's had too many killer games against the bears for me to feel sorry for them.

The patriots had wilfork and ninkovich retire this offseason, that hurt their Def line play, and hightower seems to be the only consistent playmaker in their front 7 and he's been injured. Safeties are playing worse this year too. Wonder if the patriots will make a trade this season to try to improve the defense, or if there's anyone on a practice squad somewhere that could help them out. Probably need some off line help too, brady is on pace to be sacked over 40 times this year.
They have a rematch of the superbowl this week with the falcons; falcons offense and pats defense both playing much worse than in February. Im thinking whatever happens, there will be no coming from 25pts behind this game...

pop_rocks

In my empire of dirt
420club
what a great start to the new football week!
raiders/ chiefs went down to the wire and both teams played their hearts out
i hear lynch ran onto the field to protect his cousin but why push up on a ref.
/touching a ref is the fastest way to get kicked out of a game
to his credit he did not actually leave the stadium and was spotted later in the stands rooting for his team!
yeah smith is on fire this year and i still look at the chiefs as the hottest team in the league right now
but does this last win mean the raiders are back in the mix?
i guess we will see how this week plays out
chargers are playing the broncos so we could see a lot of movement in the afc west
(chargers win = tie with raiders at 3-4)

Bababooey

Horse-toothed Jackass
Veteran
Chiefs were 5-0 but have lost 2 straight; the best team right now is probably the eagles at 6-1. Wentz is leading the league in td passes. Did you know the browns traded the wentz pick last year, and also could have drafted deshaun watson this year but traded that pick to the texans? Theyre 0-7 and looking to have at least a top 3 pick again this year, wouldnt it be so very Browns to draft one of the top college qb's next year and have them totally be a bust, after passing on two franchise qb's already?

Speaking of busts, trubisky completed 4 of 7 passes in the bears win over the panthers. Those are wishbone qb passing numbers. The bears offense managed only 3pts but didnt need any more when they got 2 defensive td's so they just milked the clock the rest of the game. I guess that's one way to protect your rookie qb from making mistakes is having them rarely throw the ball (the blake bortles plan) but at some point he's going to have to show he can throw it some, this isnt the 1940's...

Rams beat up the cardinals and broke palmer's arm in the process. Cardinals are back to starting stinky back up qb's again, so you can pretty much write them out of the playoff race. Also downgrade all their receivers for fantasy purposes (too bad cause i have larry on one team). That's a 2 team race in the NFC west, you have to think the seahawks are favored just because of their pedigree, but the rams are not going away, figure they'll get a wild card playoff spot at least.

Chargers have won 3 straight after starting off 0-4 but play at the patriots next week. They have maybe the league's best pass rushing duo in bosa and ingram, so brady could have a miserable day. I think last year the chargers started off poor, won a few games to get near .500, and then started struggling again and finished with 5 wins. Im thinking it'll be more of the same this year, but what do i know?

shithawk420

Veteran
i wasnt impressed with the Bears sunday either.offense was almost non existent.they really just got lucky cause of the fumbles.gotta admit we got a decent defense.also pissed with the NE ATL game.Matt Ryan IS looking like Cutler IMO.fuck them both.

pop_rocks

In my empire of dirt
420club
philly may have the best win/loss record, but look at the teams they have played
KC has beaten some good teams, including the eagles
the season is still young but i think they are playing the best right now, even wiht their two losses in a row
/if they loose their next game against denver i may have to change my point of view

i agree that the rams are definitely in the mix and will most likely see post season action
one of the biggest surprises to come out of the chargers shut out win over denver was the play of DE chris mccain (2sacks, 1 FF)
with teams focusing on bosa and ingram this should create opportunities for some of the other players to step up
we will see how they play against NE, but they are in the process of turning things around after a slow start to the season

Bababooey

Horse-toothed Jackass
Veteran
New Orleans seems to have transformed their team. Their defense looked terrible again the first 2 games, but now theyre playing pretty well, forcing turnovers, rookies making plays. Brees is still dangerous in the pocket of course, but now their running game, with ingram and kamara, looks like top 5 in the league. With a more than competent defense combined with a strong, balanced offense, maybe the saints can make a deep playoff run?

Bears at NO will be interesting, if only to see trubisky actually attempt 20 or more passes in a game; they'll probably be playing catch up, so will be forced to throw more.

The eagles have beaten the redskins twice, but the best team theyve faced, the chiefs, they lost to. So i see your point. Also they lost their pro bowl left tackle and their signal caller linebacker on Monday Night for the season, so they may be less potent on both side of the ball in the future.

In one of my fantasy leagues, I had to pick up a defensive lineman since calais campbell (jags) is on bye this week. I think i picked up geno atkins from the bengals, theyre going against the colts, but maybe if i change my mind before sunday i might go with mccain (bosa and ingram are obviously owned)...

pop_rocks

In my empire of dirt
420club
so how does that work in your fantasy league as far as defense goes
i thought you drafted a teams D and ran wiht them the whole season?
i didetn know you could draft individual players to build a defence
/is the scoring about the same for defenses or willl a good offence put up way better numbers?

the season is still young enough for any team to turn things around, but the windows are closing fast
we will see how this week plays out
looking foreward to some good football this weekend!

Bababooey

Horse-toothed Jackass
Veteran
Most leagues you draft a DST (defense and special teams) and get points for how many pts the def gives up: a shutout like the ravens had last night would be worth like 10 or more pts, if a def gives up 30 or more pts they'll actually get negative fantasy pts. You'll also get pts for sacks (1pt) and turnovers (2pts), defensive and special teams return yardage and td's, etc.
Some leagues will also have individual def player positions (IDP), so you'll start linebackers, def backs, etc. Theyll get 1pt per tackle, 2pts for pass defensed, etc.
If a def balls out (shut out a team, have defensive scores, 10 sacks, etc) then they might get you 20-30 pts, as much as any offensive player. So whoever started the ravens def last night probably is sitting pretty now.

I thought the Fins would play better with matt moore at QB but he was bad; no QB controversy there. When cutler recovers from his rib fractures, he'll be back starting.
I havent watched too much of the fins this year but seems like their problem on offense is more to do with the blocking than the actual skill position players. Moore was getting pressured on almost every dropback and ajayi just had no room to run.

pop_rocks

In my empire of dirt
420club
i was riding the fins too going inot the season
once they lost their qb, i was still hopeful
but they have not been stepping up and i wonder is the raven D that good or do the fins have more holes than i thought?
/the kitty cat that ran onto the field gained more yardage than the entire dolphin offense thursday night

got it baba'
thanks for the info and i just might have to start thinking seriously about getting in on this fantasy game next season

lots of good games this weekend
hopefully wiht some of these match ups, we will see who are the contenders and who are the pretenders!
/im think KCvDEN as a big game in the afc west

Bababooey

Horse-toothed Jackass
Veteran
Miami won 10 games last year and has some good talent on offense, with parker, landry, ajayi. Even the line had pouncey and tunsil. But tunsil isnt playing well and the line as a whole is just not competitive. Maybe if tannenhill were healthy his mobility would make them more effective, but for now they're averaging a league low 13pts a game. I wonder if adam gase will be fired after the season if the offense doesnt start improving...

I think fantasy football will make u appreciate other teams and players more, sometimes at the expense of your favorite team(s). I sometimes had packers players on my fantasy teams and it's always conflicting when they play the bears, like i want them to do well but not too well...

If you want to sorta kinda watch 3-8 games at once, you should check out r e d d i t nflstreams for redzone links. You'll need the free Adblocker extension on your browser to keep pop up ads to a minimum, and you might have to switch streams a couple times since they sometimes go down, but NFL Redzone is a good way to keep track of all the good action (big plays) in all the games. And it's normally only available if you buy NFL direct ticket, but a stream is a good way to avoid paying for it...

shithawk420

Veteran
I use Redzone too.I'm not paying 100 bucks a month to watch a game.I'm pretty disappointed with the Bears yesterday.thought we were better than that.poor miller too.might lose his leg

pop_rocks

In my empire of dirt
420club
a friend has the premium football package
he pays bank for it but gets to see all the raiders games each year
where i live, i can get over two dozen channels with just an antenna, so i dont pay for tv (except for netflix, amazon prime)
/f- paying all that loot for television
thanks for the links,baba'
how did your fantasy teams do this weekend?
/who were your big point players?

so the lukewarm chargers were put on ice with a big loss to the patriots
again, a couple plays and its a different game
/hint: dont run 10y back into your own end zone
but bosa continues to play lights out and gordon is finding his stride on the ground
big game tonight with the chiefs playing denver