What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

NFL 2017

Bababooey

Horse-toothed Jackass
Veteran
The betting line was that the saints would beat the bears by over 9 pts, they lost by 8 so they did better than expected.
They had to do emergency vascular surgery to repair the artery in his leg. It was successful, but with a knee dislocation and probable ligament damage, he's looking at 1.5 to 2 yrs for full recovery, and he'll be 35 by then, so unfortunately he'll probably never play football again. But at least his leg is intact.

In one of my leagues im actually in 1st place, but i have the most points scored and the least points scored against me, so my record is probably mostly luck. The other one i played cousins over watson and lost; deshaun is looking match up proof. Doesnt matter if he's playing an elite defense, he'll shit all over them.

Benjamin made a boo boo when he got tackled for a safety at the goal line, but made up for it a little bit by catching a TD later. Still, not surprising that the chargers lost to the pats, although they made it close. Now that the defense is playing better, the story on the pats is their disappearing offense. For a team with so many issues, they're still on pace to win 12 games this year. First world problems...

The AFC west was looking like the best division in football after 2 games, now the raiders and broncos are playing pretty poorly. Maybe the chargers, if they keep winning (3-1 last 4 games, only lost to the pats in foxboro), can compete for a wild card playoff spot? Would be pretty wild if both LA teams made the playoffs this year. People might actually show up for their games.

A simple antenna gets you HD broadcasts of local games as well as national ones (except MNF on espn and some thursday night games). The bad thing about redzone is i miss most of every bears game. Sure, most of it is 3 and outs by the offense, but still, it'd be nice to see how trubisky is progressing (or not).

The NFL trade deadline this year saw some pretty big moves. Jimmy Garappolo to the 49ers for a 2nd round pick was maybe the biggest one. It'll be a few weeks for him to learn the playbook before he starts, maybe not till week 12 after their bye. Of course in week 12 they host the seahawks, so not a great matchup for his first game as a niner, but they need to see what he can do this year because this is the last year of his contract.

Ajayi got traded to the eagles, supposedly miami also tried trading jarvis landry. They're 4-4, not a terrible record, are they trying to tank for next year?

Kelvin benjamin traded to the bills, that should help tyrod taylor. Bills somehow have worse WR passing stats than the bears and jaguars.

Bills and jets tonite on thursday night football. Not a great matchup although both teams are playing much better than expected, especially after cutting veterans and trading away talent during the offseason.

shithawk420

Veteran
Papa johns is blaming Goodell for their lack in sales!lol I guess he might have a point.lots of people are boycotting sponsors.I think they should of took care of the kneeling a year ago.they should of known it was gonna cost them money

pop_rocks

In my empire of dirt
420club
congratulations on your success in the fantasy leagues,baba
watson certainly looks like he could be for real
/a possible roty candidate for sure
you called it ,man;the dolphins are trying to tank for next year and who knows how long?
rumor has it ajayi was considered a poor influence in the locker room (while putting up respectable numbers on the field)
but with no viable starter behind him,you have to wonder if the fins' just cashed out their last chips on offence (they dident even get any value out of the trade)
their D is all right but no where near enough to carry that team

the garappalo trade is the one of the biggest deals of the seasons!
im suprised that it dident happen a few months ago
back then he would have cost at least a first round pick.
/ him and brady are coming up on new contracts and the pats probably couldent come to terms wiht both players

that would be wild if both la teams made the playoffs
i still think the chargers finish sub .500 but at least they will make games interesting with their emerging defense
plus,im not ready to rule denver out just yet my man
they are playing a couple big games (v eagles this week and then the pats), so i guess we will see where they are heading this season
/the chargers have a bye this weekend and play a soft schedule after that

//btw: a big hats off to houston astros! what a great 7 games

Bababooey

Horse-toothed Jackass
Veteran
Supposedly the bengals were going to trade their backup qb, AJ McCarron, to the browns for a 2nd and 3rd round draft picks. But the deal didnt go through because the browns sent their signed contract to the bengals, but the bengals sent the contract to the nfl only signed by them, not the browns. Dont know whose fault it is there, but why would the browns give up more draft capital for mccarron than the niners gave up for garappolo?

Papa johns is most likely facing declining sales because their pizza isnt very good, and more expensive than dominos or pizza hut.

Well, watson tore an acl in practice yesterday, the day after the astros won the world series. So there goes the texans league leading offense...
Also pierre garcon, the niners' #1 WR, is out for the season with a neck injury. So one less weapon for garappolo when he does start.

The dolphins got a 4th rd pick from the eagles for ajayi. They have kenyon drake, who i think they drafted in the 3rd or 4th rd, the year after they drafted ajayi who was a 5th rounder himself. Also they have damien williams who's their 3rd down back. Maybe gase didnt get along well with ajayi, but also maybe the team had long term concerns about ajayi's knees. I think that was why he dropped to the 5th round in his draft, some teams were concerned that the cartilage in his knees wouldnt hold up to the grind of the nfl.

I think belichick was trying to work out a long term deal with garappolo, but jimmy wanted to go somewhere where he could be a starter and earn starter money (20M plus per year). Maybe the pats offered him 8-10M/year, but knowing he could make 3x that on another team as a starter was just too much to pass up.

Denver is starting Brock osweiler over siemien this week; brock looked terrible with the texans (last year) and browns (preseason) but was serviceable when he played half a season in Peytons last year with the broncos. He's familiar with the receivers in denver, but it's hard for me to imagine he'll get that offense back on track, given how bad the offensive line has been. But i guess he wont be any worse than siemien, whose accuracy goes to shit whenever he has to move in the pocket.

pop_rocks

In my empire of dirt
420club
i agree with you baba' that papa johns decline in sales has nothing to do with the nfl and more to do with the pizza itself
/recently saw some ranking of national chains and he came in pretty low
i am curious to see what kind of money the nfl is going to get the next time they negotiate their tv deal
with so many negatives against football right now and viewership being down, i dont imagine they will get anywhere near as sweet a contract as the one they have now
the watson injury is huge and the texans are bringing in mcgloin and another journeyman scrub qb (cant recall his name atm) hoping to fill the hole
/and still noone wants to touch kaep
i hope he is able to recover and pick up where he left off once he gets healthy
i agree that garappolo is looking for his big payday but i think he also wanted a chance to play every day
with brady talking about playing until he is 45 that does not leave a lot of starts for garappalo as a backup
"...why would the browns give up more draft capital for mccarron than the niners gave up for garappolo?"
shrugs: the browns gotta brown, my man
hope your weekend is off to a great start, enjoy the games!

Bababooey

Horse-toothed Jackass
Veteran
I think pj's pizza was better years ago; i remember liking them more back then. That sweet dough, and garlic butter cup and pepperocini they give you, were solid. They still give you those things, but the pizza seems cheaper/less quality now. Really, I blame peyton manning. Once he moved to denver and became best friends with papa john, that pizza started going downhill. Fuck you Peyton.

Everything is going up in price, so i dont think the league will take less $ from the networks on their next deal. If anything, the streaming services like netflix and prime will increase the price by bidding for games too (amazon prime already streams some thurs games). But i think the league splits the tv $ with the players, so it wont all be going to the league.

The texans have 3 qbs now but may still sign kaepernick, maybe because their owner wants to say hey im not a racist after he got crap for the 'cant have inmates running the prison' comment. So after being banned for protesting racism, it may be guilt over racism giving him another opportunity. That's ... appropriate, i guess?

Are you now officially a rams fan, pop? Theyre killing the giants, will probably finish the year as the most points scored now that the texans dont have watson. Not a bad team to be a fan of.

pop_rocks

In my empire of dirt
420club
good point,man; the networks do have lots of competition for broadcasting rights
/wouldent that be sweet if netflix offered live coverage of the nfl too (in addition to amazon)
//plus, i could almost see them letting you choose between more than just your regional games to watch!oh man,someone please make this happen!!11!
yes, im pretty sure the nfl shares the tv money with all the teams in some weird revenue sharing formula, basically guaranteeing fat profits for all the team owners
i just anticipate a backlash from all the shite that we have been seeing both on and off the field hurting the nfl when it comes time to renegotiate
i guess how much they pay ultimately comes down to neilson ratings and the veiwer numbers/add revenue generated
/you are right tho, nothing goes down in price and football is still football
while the texans carry three qbs on their roster, how many qbs do they really have?
signing kaep would be like throwing gasoline onto the fire in the nfl
i mean, yeah, it might show that he "isnt" the racist we all thought he was (regardless of what he said), but would be so transparent a move that i dont see it working out well for them
and in the worse case scenario, this could blow the lid off this whole kneeling powderkeg
/now kaep is kneeling before every game, maybe even during the games, who knows...whole press conference would be about social issues and nothing but distractions
no really a fan of the rams just yet, but im enjoying their success for sure
plus with all their wins comes better coverage locally on tv
the chiefs lost another big game(to dallas) and im am beginning to wonder how they will match up against the other top teams in the league
philly made a statement against denver and im starting to think they are for real
/ajayi had decent numbers in that game as well and adds a big punch to a high octane offense

its been a great season so far

Bababooey

Horse-toothed Jackass
Veteran
The packers are the league's only publicly owned team, and so are the only team to release revenue figures. The league splits tv revenue evenly, and the packers received 244 million last year for tv rights, which means the league as a whole split almost 8 billion in tv revenue. Also, the packers total revenue was 440 million, so another 200 million came from ticket sales, concessions, parking, merchandise, etc.

I never really cared that much about the kneeling thing. Like a lot of people have said during the anthem a lot of fans at the stadium are standing in line at concessions are using the washroom or finding their seats. And part of the reason it's a big deal now is that the tv cameras make it a point now to focus on who's standing for the anthem.
I do think the message has gotten twisted from kaepernicks original protest against racism in policing; now it's more about racism in general. But the kneeling doesnt seem to do much more than piss some fans off. I think a more constructive way to make a difference would be to lobby government for laws to prevent racism in criminal justice, like establish independent agencies to pursue bias or unfairness in policing/prosecution.

Bears are actually favored against the packers this week for the first time in years. So, that's something. Maybe trubisky actually throws a TD this game.

Andrew luck is out for the season. Rumor is that he had a torn labrum for the last 2 years, and was pressured to play on it before finally having surgery this past offseason. And now he cant progress in his rehab to actual throwing because of recurring pain. He'll probably need another surgery on his shoulder, and there's a chance his career could be over because of it. Would be a shame if he doesnt come back, he was a pretty darn good qb...

pop_rocks

In my empire of dirt
420club
yeah, luck looked like his career was heading straight to canton before this last injury
i certainly hope he comes back and plays many more years
the hypocrisy is heavy as far as the kneeling goes
/how many times have you seen fans sitting for the anthem, reading their phones etc
but hey, lets not let miss out on a chance to show how you are so much more patriotic than everyone else
fwiw, i think the most constructive way for nfl players to make a difference in poor communities to to start putting their money where their mouth is
this goes for all sports athletes, or anyone who has had the good fortune to make it big goes
create scholarship programs, invest in small businesses and afterschool programs, even just giving the money to someone who is struggling could make a world of difference
these are people make millions a year and would not miss a few dollars
thanks for presenting some numbers re:tv revenue sharing baba'
/interesting: so over half the packs' revenue ceoms from the leagues tv money sharing
i would imagine they are probably somewhere in the middle as far as revenue goes (maybe slightly above acerage)
but it shows how much money these owners are making off tv rights
so who do you like heading into the second half of the season?

Space Toker

Veteran
Oh Hell this was I think a break out game, every game so far has been tooth or nails or the expression is similar to that... sometimes excruciating or agonizing even though the record was good. But I am used to those good old fashioned pummelings after suffering many years being the victims of such. So yeah it was good to kick them good in their home when they had been a thorn in our side for so long that way. Oh crap let the team or the staff say all the right things they are better at that, but I am so thrilled that we finally put the pedal to the metal or put the foot on the throat or whatever the expression is. I think this sets the tone for the rest of the season and been a great few days so I feel fairly confident in saying that, again a great feeling to have that rare opportunity to spread my feathers like a peacock for a change, and don't make no crazy disgusting or wiseass comments. Well of course you can do what you want, but it is nice to express my faith in the team and finally not look like an idiot doing it. I never want to be cocky, but proud of this team I am! Confident or proud VS cocky, never quite got that distinction all seemed the same to me when I was down and out but now seems there is an obvious difference and I have been finding hope termendously these last few days personally when I thought all was lost. and to think that was reinforced by a conservative on a weather channel talking carbon taxes of all things... well to say it has been crazy the last 2-3 days and to a lesser extent week or so is an understatement, but what really counts has been positive. Thanks for indulging me... GO PATRIOTS!!!!!!

Space Toker

Veteran
Oh BAba you seem to think you are some epic sports commentator, and maybe you are who knows these days with all the craziness going about? But you seem to find real sense only when I remind you of it and seldom mention The Patriots in a positive way unless I call you on it... but I give you credit, no epic negativity, trying to be reasonable.. maybe confuse you for someone else if so forgive me, but think you or someone like you used to be quite harsh in the over the top kind of way, thanks if so for giving that up, but I don't think you give enough credit or seek every grey lining in every sliver cloud in a very sunny sky when it comes to the team I like. I do thank you for being civil and for trying at least. That will not lull me to sleep.... GO PATRIOTS!!!

Bababooey

Horse-toothed Jackass
Veteran
Giving $ to the community would help some people out but in order to make lasting change you need to get the laws in your favor. Thats how big business does it. That's how the nfl does it.
And I think plenty of players contribute to charities or have charitable foundations of their own, many giving back to their communities, you just dont hear about them as much.

I like the eagles and saints in the nfc, and the patriots and chiefs in the afc. I would have said the steelers yesterday, but after they struggled to beat the colts, roethlisberger still looks like bortles 80% of the time and brady 20% of the time. There's still time for him to pull it together, but overall he hasnt looked good this season.

Patriots have looked vulnerable at times this season, and they have 2 losses when many thought they wouldnt have any by now (which was probably unrealistic). They did look good in beating up on the broncos, although denver is in a funk right now. I tend to talk about teams that other posters talk about, and niners fans are nowhere to be seen once their team started sucking, even seahawks fans are hardly to be found now that theyre not quite superbowl material anymore.

Thank you for your service, stewart.
I wonder how many people have been turned off by the anthem thing and are no longer fans, vs how many new fans the game has attracted? I would think the net loss isnt very significant, because teams like the packers have 30yr waiting lists for season tickets and the league's ratings are not as down as the rest of tv in general.
And i wouldnt worry about luck, i think he'll be ok. He'll get some german baby stem cells injected in his shoulder, get that new baby cartilage formed, he'll be back throwing for 35tds next year (im serious). The new gm seems decent, the defense is improving, get a new head coach and the colts could be a contender again in no time.

pop_rocks

In my empire of dirt
420club
what a great sunday of games!
i think we saw what a few teams were really made of yesterday and im looking foreward to the rest of the season
can atl turn it around?
if their defense keeps putting in that kind of play i think they could still be in the picture
also,i never realized what a terrible qb blake bortles really is
i have a hard time believing in jax as long as he is under center and think he limits their success
even with their hard fought win over the chargers, his play was beyond terrible
/and why did the chargers take out melvin gordon late in the game
and the rams keep hammering it home!
i like the way they are playing and am quickly becoming fan of head coach mcvay
/phillips+mcvay = much wow!11!
what laws do you feel contribute to the problems we are seeing in society today?
yes, people of minority are more likely to be arrested for certain crimes that white people are, but i believe the real root of the problem goes beyond bureaucracy and judicial laws
/dident mean to get so heavy in a football thread and hopefully im not straying too far off topic

shithawk420

Veteran
I knew they were gonna lose even though they were favored but trubisky looked pretty bad.hell,they all looked bad.what do you think baba?

And get bent spacetoker.the patriots are cheating deucebags and your acting like they're God's gift.fuck the Patriots and fuck Tom brady.he wouldn't be shit if he wasn't on a cheating corrupt team.fuck them and fuck patriot fans.acting like you guys beat any good teams.

Bababooey

Horse-toothed Jackass
Veteran
I didnt actually get to watch any of the sunday games, except sunday night football a bit. trubisky's stats, 300 yds 1td, werent that bad but it's disturbing that when he has a decent passing day the bears cant beat a depleted packers team. He's a rookie who has 6 starts under his belt, hes going to look average to bad most of the time. He probably wont start to fulfill his potential until he gets a more offensive minded coach. After the bears went from 1st and goal to a turnover after a fox challenge, expect a coaching change this offseason.
Stay classy, Hawk.

I think laws making illegal victimless crimes like drug use and prostitution serve only to drive the market for them into the hands of criminals, as well as disproportionately hurts poor people.

The chargers kept feeding austin ekelar, gordon's backup. He was able to do more with his touches than gordon was doing, maybe gordon has some nagging injury? Turf toe?
I was thinking of picking up ekelar up in one of my leagues, just in case gordon really is injured and it becomes worse.

pop_rocks

In my empire of dirt
420club
i agree with you baba, 100%
crimes like drug use and prostitution are social problems, not judicial
instead of throwing people in jail, offering treatment and job training would go a long way
instead of punishment, lets rehabilitate and offer a better alternative
of course i believe some drug crimes should be punished (selling dope to kids) and some people involved in the sex industry deserve to go to jail ( sex trafficking or pimping), but i see where you are coming from and cant agree more
/thanks for answering in a civil, well thought out manner

i would hold off on ekelar until we know for sure that gordon is going on the IR
/plus with the way the bolts are playing right now, i see a lot of passing in their future
the next few games will pretty much sum up their season
a couple more losses and they are playing for draft picks

shithawk420

Veteran
Sorry for the bad attitude.had too many drinks and was in a bad mood cause of the Bears game.lots of bogus calls by the refs.it was refreshing to watch the falcons finally whoop some ass though.Don't know why ATL isn't doing better.