What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

NFL 2017

Bababooey

Horse-toothed Jackass
Veteran
Haha, no need to apologize, Hawk. In fact, giving patriots fans crap encourages more posting by patriots fans, which livens up this thread.
Bears would have been able to tie against the saints and packers last couple games if not for bad calls by the refs. Who knows if they would have won though.
Falcons started off 3-0, looking like they could make the superbowl again, but have been more down than up since then. It's not unusual for a superbowl team to not make the playoffs next year (see carolina last year). Still, theyre 5-4 with 7 games left to try and get that offense rolling again. Maybe try forcing it to julio more, his (fantasy) numbers this season have been pretty underwhelming.

Jail or prison would be a good option if it actually worked, but the 'correctional' in correctional facility is a misnomer. Like 1% of addicts who get locked up may clean themselves up, and the other 99% get even worse off. Rehab doesnt have a great success rate but if it's even 10% that's preferable to jail and probably costs the same.

Melvin gordon's foot was bothering him before their week 9 bye, and week 10 he averaged like 2.5yds per touch while his backup averaged 8yds a touch. But maybe he just had a bad game. In one of my leagues austin ekelar has already been picked up and is in their starting lineup. Crazy, but if gordon has turf toe or a lis franc injury...

pop_rocks

In my empire of dirt
420club
what a weekend of game!
i am starting to believe the philly eagles are for real and wentz is playing well beyond his years
/will the real dallas cowboys please stand up
gordon looked pretty solid this week against the bills
and why they dident play tyrod taylor at some point, is beyond me
/i totally understand letting a young qb earn his chops, but at some point you are not helping his developement by letting him fail
the chargers are playing hot right now but their next game is on thanksgiving against dallas
i think both teams really need to win here
and what happened to the 5-0 chiefs?!?
looks like this is crunch time and we are going to see who is going to the playoffs and who will not

i agree with you 100% baba about the definition of punishment here in amreica is a big part of the problem
right now there is very little rehabilitation where its needed most
unfortunately, with the trend of privatizing prisons in the US, i wonder how much of an incentive there is to try and help change the lives of those behind bars
/these programs cost a lot more than three hots and a cot

no worries,hawk! we are all fans and here to talk football
sometimes we get hyped, but its all in good fun

Bababooey

Horse-toothed Jackass
Veteran
Dak had his worst game as a pro sunday night. His left tackle, tyron smith, didnt play again but should be back on thanksgiving against the skins. Dak seems a little too risk averse to feed jump balls to Dez, but romo had success with that strategy and they need to jumpstart the offense some way...

Gordon didnt seem hindered at all against the bills, and there were plenty of scoring opportunities when their qb threw 5 ints in the first half. Going forward he looks healthy and the chargers are only a game or two from a playoff spot, with the chiefs losing 4 of their last 5 games, this time to a bad giants team. If only the chargers hadnt lost 3 games they should have won (two on kicks, one to jacksonville with turnovers at the end) they would be really in good shape. Now, they'll probably make a surge before fading again with more close losses...

The bears lost a close one to the lions, trubisky sorta kinda had a decent game, made some plays at the end to get them in field goal range which connor barth missed badly (they have a new kicker now). Maybe if trubisky continues to progress these last few games fox will keep his job...

Got some pretty good games this thanksgiving, two divisional matchups plus cowboys vs chargers. I wont watch all of them but should be interesting...

pop_rocks

In my empire of dirt
420club
cant wait for thanksgiving!
ive been in training for the past month, eating something extra every change i get!
/this is my time to shine
plus we will get to see some great games
the chargers are going to test dak with their heavy pass rush but im leaning towards the cowboys on this one
/we will see how their secondary plays against a "real" NFl qb this week
i still dont expect the chargers to really turn it around this year as far as the playoffs go, but maybe they will start selling out their home games
unfortunately the rams are the hot ticket in la right now
/sad trombone for dean spanos
actually stoked to see the lions play too
we dont get to see them play that often out here on the west coast
have a great thanksgiving!

Bababooey

Horse-toothed Jackass
Veteran
Ive been training this past year to eat more, sadly.
Pumpkin or pecan pie, Pop? I say both...

Hope everyone is having a good thanksgiving. The early game is between the best teams, with vikes and lions both playoff worthy teams. Chargers and cowboys this afternoon, dallas gets their left tackle back so their offense should be better. They'll have to be against the chargers, who are 3rd in the nfl in sacks.
Giants and redskins this evening, neither team is currently in a playoff spot but im interested in seeing samaje perrine handle the RB load for washington with chris thompson and rob kelley out for the year.

Best game this weekend is probably Rams vs Saints, both division leaders. Rams have found an offense and the Saints a defense this year. A playoff bye is potentially at stake here.

I think you made a point earlier, Pop, about the jaguars and bortles being surprisingly good, and at 7-3 theyre only 1 win behind the steelers and patriots. The jags have the leagues best defense, and if they can hold teams under 20 pts in the playoffs, they'll have a chance against anyone, even with bortles at qb. This has been a weird NFL season, i guess bortles and the jags beating brady and the patriots in the playoffs would just cement it.
Any pats fans want to chime in on that possibility?

shithawk420

Veteran
Lmao at the eagles vs the bears this sunday! I'm gonna lol if the bears win.course we know they wont.thank fuck we got rid of Barth

pop_rocks

In my empire of dirt
420club
im wiht you baba', i go with both too
the bigger question is: are they pronounced pea-can or pea-con?!?
/love peacan pies btw!
so do you guys think dallas still has a chance or are they pretty much done for the year?
i was suprised at how terrible they looked without zeke in the backfield!
looks like LA chargers are going to make the second interesting and seem to be gaining ground on the rest of the west
they have a couple easy games coming up (against the browns and then wash) before they meet the chiefs in arrowhead mid december
/this could be a huge game for both teams

hope you had a great thanksgiving baba'
same for all the others!
this is where the season starts getting really good fellas'

Bababooey

Horse-toothed Jackass
Veteran
The eagles are favored by 2 td's against the bears, same as the steelers vs packers, and less than the patriots vs miami.
I could easily see chicago losing by 20-30pts. But u never know...
I've been watching the red zone channel lately, so havent seen a lot of bears offense. I think they were doing the old run on 1st, run on 2nd, pass on 3rd and long a lot, and predictably punting a lot, but now that trubisky's passing attempts are up, might be interesting to just watch the bears, see how they do. Unless the game gets out of hand quickly, in which case back to the RZ i go...

I use both pronunciations, Pop, for no reason except they both sound correct to me. Maybe the -CAN is more popular in the south...

It's kind of amazing that the dallas offense looks so bad without Zeke. Then again, tyron smith has been injured, and they lost another off lineman, zach martin, last game, so it's not just zeke.
Still, makes you wonder if running backs are coming back into vogue in a passing league. The cowboys look like losers without zeke, fournette has helped the jags become winners. Saquon barkley of penn state looks like another generational talent at RB, maybe the niners should reach for him with their first pick, assuming garappolo is their qb of the future (with beathard as a good backup).

I think a lot of fans (mostly eagles, giants, redskins fans probably) think dak has been exposed now without a league best off line and running attack. That he's average at best, terrible at worst.
And no doubt he has been terrible the last 3 games, hasnt thrown a td, bunch of picks, one returned for a td.
Still, he's had way more good games than bad games in his career, and even hall of fame qb's look average when theyre not getting any blocking or their receivers arent making plays. His receivers, even dez, arent running past anyone.
He'll definitely play better than he has been, but it is worrisome that, once the offense had to rely solely on him making plays, it's been pretty bad.

pop_rocks

In my empire of dirt
420club
i guess i tend to use both too,baba'
/call it what you want brother, pea'can or pea'con i will eat that shit up all day!
the c'boys have hit a rough patch of road for sure, but at 5-6 i still think they can turn it around
i still believe in dak prescott and see this as just another chance to develop and mature as a qb
/this week is a must win
and who is that playing like the hottest ticket this side of hollywood blvd?!?
led by a crushing defense la chargers de los angeles are on a tear
/dean spanos still sucks
so whats your take on all this fist fighting we are seeing on the field this year
i know tempers flare, but it seems this year we are seeing a lot of extra business at the end of the play
i love good hard nosed football, but some of this fighting is getting out of hand

dank.frank

ef.yu.se.ka.e.em
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Interesting thing of note here looking at previous NFL threads:

2017 -5,655 posts
2016 -20,410 posts
2015 -24,664 posts

dank.Frank

Bababooey

Horse-toothed Jackass
Veteran
Yeah, the people who post the most on the football threads are me and Pop. My team has sucked for years and Pop doesnt even have a team anymore. Go figure.

Im partial to the pecan and pumpkin pies you can get at costco and sams club. For like $8-10 you get a huge pie that's pretty good.
Apple pie is good as well, especially warm with some ice cream (a la mode), but never did like cherry pie even though i like cherries.

Aqib talib and michael crabtree got suspended for 2 games after their brawl on sunday. I guess it wasnt so much the initial ruckus that earned the suspension, but the fact that they continued to go at it after getting separated the first time.
Ripping crabtree's gold chain off was a douche move by talib. I understand it's tempting to grab it when it's just flopping around his neck, and no other players wear necklaces in the nfl that i know of, but still, you do that to someone on the street there's going to be a fight. Maybe the refs should have done a better job protecting crabtree by throwing a flag last year when talib did it the first time, then crabtree wouldnt feel the need to defend himself the way he did this year. And now both players are getting suspended without pay for 2 weeks (1/8 of their game checks this year), which is way more than what that chain is worth, and also hurts their teams.
But after losing a few hundred thou each, i bet talib wont be snatching his chain again, and crabtree wont be starting fights with denver anymore.

pop_rocks

In my empire of dirt
420club
"Yeah, the people who post the most on the football threads are me and Pop. My team has sucked for years and Pop doesnt even have a team anymore. Go figure. "
its funny when you put it like that baba'
i wonder how much all the negative sentiment surrounding the nfl has to do with folks being less active in an nfl thread
/dident we once talk about how tv numbers are down for football this year and how its not just the nfl that is losing ratings
hard to say but i enjoy the insight i get from this thread
plus, i just love football!
yeah, that was a straight up thug move on talibs part and you are right, the league should not have let it go the first time
im not sure what the nfl policy is on wearing jewelry, but snatching someones chain is for sure a dick thing to do and definitely asking for a beat down
my mom loves those big costco pumpkin pies!
her and mrsChicky will tear through one of those things like its nothing
i will have a piece or two, especially with tons of whipped cream
im more about the creme fillings and stuff like that, but hey, when the muchies kick in, its all good brother!

Bababooey

Horse-toothed Jackass
Veteran
Whipped cream is a must with pumpkin pie. Bakers Square is good like that, they put the whipped cream right on every pie for you, it's almost like frosting. But canned whip cream is pretty good, especially if you get a good brand (redi whip, eh). Spray that on the pie, and spray some in your mouth to jump start the taste buds, nothing better.
I know seahawks and niners fans were more active when the niners were good and the hawks were going to superbowls (2012-2015).
Had some colts fans show up more when luck was leading them to the playoffs. Pats fans still occasionally post. So people tend to post when their team is good.
Also, i think icmag in general is not as popular as it used to be. Maybe some other forum is where all the new people hang out.

Also, lower ratings may be part of it, maybe there just arent as many people into the nfl as before. People grow out of hobbies sometimes as their life changes, and younger people (millenials, etc) have interests mostly in things u can do on ur phone, not on a big screen. Also, there are new 'sports' drawing attention, like esports (video games), crossfit, american ninja, etc.

And maybe people get pissed off at their teams and lose interest. St louis and san diego, for moving. Oakland, for going to move. Indianapolis, for messing around with Luck. And now giants fans, for benching Eli Manning for geno freaking smith and their rookie 3rd rounder, davis webb. Because they want to see what they have for the future. Eli hasnt played consistently well in a couple years but in all likelihood geno and webb are going to be significantly worse.
Maybe they're secretly tanking (and when youre 2-9, do you really need to tank?) to ensure a top 5 draft pick, so they can get their choice of mayfield, allen, rosen or darnold. Then they can trade eli to jacksonville for some picks (couple 2nd rounders, at least), eli gets to go to a good team that just needs a competent qb, ny gets to start over with another future HOF (they hope) QB.

pop_rocks

In my empire of dirt
420club
thats a good point about how the league is kind of all over the place right now and teams that were predicted to be hot are just not playing well right now
i would think that makes football more interesting and i like seeing new up and comers instead of the same teams always making the playoffs year after year
i still think we will see a lot of familiar teams come the post season, but its neat seeing some new teams in the mix
i could not believe that NY decided to bench manning, but like you said, they could be looking down the road and hoping to land a top draft pick next season
trading him away at the end of the season sounds like a solid move and hopefully he ends up going someplace like jax
that is also a good point about how maybe people are spending time on other forums in addition to the rise of other sports
its hard to say, but i guess only time will tell
hopefully we will see more people jumping in during the playoffs
i will have to check out bakers square
im sure there has to be one somewhere in southern california and it sounds like they do their pies right
/ i tihnk im going to go take a hit off the redi whipped right now, just to just start the taste buds!

Space Toker

Veteran
oh I can't watch the Celts that just pissed me right the fuck off, blackouts you kidding me didn't realize they even existed before now and the concept is old and outdated more people watch in other ways than in person and that is not going to change by denieing access to TV content, that will only piss people most people the fuck off like it did me. Evil rich scum trying to keep the good from the masses, they are asses and must pay! But the Patriots are looking great, like to hear what was said since my last absence, no I wouldn't but just for amusement maybe... Go Patriots!!!!

Bababooey

Horse-toothed Jackass
Veteran
Usually sports teams only blackout local broadcasts if the game isn't a sellout: the logic being that if you black out the game that will encourage more people to actually show up at the stadium.
I would think celtics games wouldnt be blacked out. They're the best team in the east so far, following a good season last year. The bulls are terrible but i dont think any games have been blacked out this year.
The Patriots had the leagues worst defense the first month of the season, but since week 5 they've held opponents to about 13pts per game, which i think leads the league. What communication issues they had in their secondary seems to have been cleared up.
Theyre tied with the steelers for best record in the conference. They play at Pitt in week 15 i think, which could determine who gets home field advantage in the playoffs. So that should be interesting.

Cowboys seem to have rediscovered their offense this past thursday. And only 2 more games till Zeke comes back. The eagles have pretty much locked up that division, but they could be in the running for a wild card spot if they keep winning...

Bears were terrible against the eagles but face the niners with garappolo in his first start. It will be interesting to see if garappolo can be a poor man's tom brady for the niners; if so, paying a 2nd round pick for him would be a steal.

The chiefs offense has been almost as bad as the bears the last few games; you cant blame it all on alex smith but certainly he's not playing well either, happy feet in the pocket, not seeing open receivers, etc. I have him on one team and am thinking of picking up mahomes. If Alex keeps sucking it up, andy reid may have no choice but to play mahomes, to get something to jump start that offense so they dont lose the division to the surging chargers.

Speaking of the chargers, I picked up their defense, going up against cleveland this week. Their offense and defense seem to be clicking at this point, rivers had a 450yd 3 td game on thanksgiving. If they can keep it up, i dont think anyone will want to face them in the playoffs. If they can pressure opposing qb's with just a 4 man rush, they can beat even the patriots.
Maybe an all-LA superbowl could happen, Rams vs Chargers. Not sure if LA fans will travel to Minnesota in February for the game though...

pop_rocks

In my empire of dirt
420club
at this point does anyone deserve to win the AFC west?
with everyone at 6-6 its anyones game
i cant believe how terribly the chiefs have been playing the past several weeks
i thought they could go all the way, but the way they are playing now says a "one and done" at best if they can even make it to the playoffs
/i dont think pulling alex smith is the answer but at this point you have to do something
la'chargers* are playing like their hair is on fire, but i still think they are going to revert back to thier old ways and lose the key games down the streach
its going to be really fun, because all the teams in the west are playing each other in the next couple weeks
/kc v rai this weeeknd, vs laCoCs next weeknd; laCocs v rai the final week
/im still rooting for the rams! f-spanos
looks like its going to be a great finish to the 2017 season!

*mrsChicky askes why are they calling themselves "La'Chargers" now and i had to explain that its because they moved to L.A. . but i liked the sound of la'chargers so im going with it

Jellyfish

Invertebrata Inebriata
Veteran
winner@420giveaway
I'm in Colts country, so this season is basically over for us. So the big story here is, " Are they gonna get rid of Pagano?" Which is stupid, it's not Pagano's fault that his QB is out for the season.

Aside from the Colts, there have been some great games the last couple weeks. Seeing crybaby Eli get taken down a peg was fun.

pop_rocks

In my empire of dirt
420club
while i agree with the whole screw eli think i dont think its entirely his fault that the giants are tanking this season
/they just got rid of macadoo, so eli is back as starter this weekend
sorry, j'fish, im not a chuck pagano fan
but i can see how its not just him to blame for the way the colts are playing
/fwiw, i hope luck can overcome his shoulder issues once and for all
like you said, a lot of good games the past couple weeks!

G

Well I'm done with the NFL in general and the colts in particular. I held season tix for many, many years but I quit going after the home opener and players took a knee. Fuck them. Fuck the NFL for not making them stand and show some respect. I look around my home at how much money I have wrapped up in more than a couple decades of buying offically liscensed merchandise. Jerseys , plaques, player memorabilia and on and on. Thousands and thousands spent on this crap. Plus a average of about $3500 a year for tickets and game day expenses. So irsay can spin on this. Maybe he finds out how much money he will lose from all of the fans like me walking away he will fall off the wagon and start popping pills again.
So I have slowly over the last few weeks started throwing out the shit a little at a time. Keeping anything relevant to Peyton for now.
I forgot how nice it can be to have my Sunday's back. And money in my pocket instead of the NFL.
Snoop dog said he wants to start a black football league. Good luck with that. Somebody needs to tell him though the stadiums don't take EBT cards.

I love seeing stadiums across the country empty. The press, racists who hate this country and the snowflakes try and spin it that it's not due to the black racists spitting in the face of the people who make this country great. We all know better.

Latest posts

Latest posts