What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

NFL 2016

Bababooey

Horse-toothed Jackass
Veteran
The falcon's new stadium has a retractable roof and will be named the mercedes benz stadium. Not coca cola stadium? Or home depot stadium?
As far as funding goes it's not too bad of a deal for taxpayers; 200M of it will be financed by govt bonds, and arthur blank had to pony up the rest of it, supposedly over a billion dollars. So at least he didnt rob the taxpayers as much as some other stadium deals...

I think the success record of 1st round picks is around 50%; some of the failure have to do with injury more than personal failures, but yeah, the draft (in all sports i think) is pretty much a crapshoot.

Youre not going to become a fan of other afc west teams now that the bolts moved, are you Pop?

pop_rocks

In my empire of dirt
420club
so it looks like jay cutler is hanging up the cleats and moving to the broadcast booth
ive never heard him really speak publicly so i ahve no idea if he is cut out for it
was he getting around out there in the chicago media?

thats a great question baba'
i guess i will keep following the west because im already up to speed on all the teams and i get the see those teams play the most
plus the division is red hot right now
i cant ready say i have a new team yet
/the first team i actually liked was the dolphins, but we never get to see them play out here in california

what a boot!
that was a crazy kick he made there
his longest in a game situation was in the 50yrd range so we prob wont ever get to see him attempt one that long

this is kind of interesting
here is a list of #1 picks drafted in the past 25yrs
it has them ranked from worst to best
http://www.foxsports.com/nfl/galler...draft-pick-of-the-past-25-years-ranked-050417
a lot of names i still remember for good and bad reasons
almost all are names you know (but i dont agree with some of this ranking, esp top5)
overall the no.1 spot in the draft has been pretty solid

shithawk420

Veteran
I don't think cutler is a"sports personality"but whatever. Honestly feel bad for the guy. I think he's on painkillers from all the hits he's had. My family and I actually used to live on the same street that Cutler has a house in Downers Grove. Fuck I love that town. His supermodel wife has more money than he does

pop_rocks

In my empire of dirt
420club
i hear he is doing the rounds on the sports talk radio
i read an interview and he sounded solid, but you dont know how that will translate to being on air

isnt his wife one of those anti vaxer types?

shithawk420

Veteran
Honestly don't know shit about his wife but I imagine she calls the shots. I want to know what they're combined income is. Its gotta be like 200 million or something. My buddy moved his neighbors house and he said they are fucking loaded.

You guys watch stats and tirico on football talk in the am? He was saying something this morning about in the nfc the seahawks are the strongest or most likely to run to the superbowl outa any other nfc teams...........this was kinda shocking to me.

Bababooey

Horse-toothed Jackass
Veteran
We don't know what the wind was like on that 81 yd field goal. Plus you have to remember in a real game the other team is leaping up trying to block the kick; at extreme distances like that i think the kicker has to have a low trajectory, so odds are better that the defense is able to block it.
Still impressive though, but you always hear about kickers hitting 70+ yds in pregame warmups, practices, etc. If it was that easy, they'd do it in games too. "Hey coach, just get to midfield and we're good to go."

cutler will just be the color commentator, while the other announcer is the professional play by play guy. So cutler just gets to say things like 'good play there, sucked the defense in and threw over the top' and generic things like that. I dont know that he's that good of a public speaker, no more than romo is, but they can complete whole sentences and thoughts without stumbling over themselves, and have knowledge about the game and know how to prepare, so maybe that's the min requirement for a job like that.
Cutler married kristin cavalleri, who became a reality tv 'star' in Laguna Beach on mtv. Ive heard of the show but never watched it. I think she also had some bit parts as an actress afterwards, but i doubt she made a ton of money as an actress; if she's rich, it's probably due to clothing or makeup lines like the olsen twins did after full house.
Cutler stole over a 100M from the bears pretending to play QB for them, even with taxes and agent cuts he still cleared probably 60M or more. That's not 'buy all your friends a mansion' money but it's still plenty to live rich so long as he's conservative with spending and investments. I think he mostly lives in nashville with his wife and kids now that he's out of the league (he went to college at vanderbilt), I'm sure his money goes further in nashville than it would in LA or even chicago...

The seahawks have made the playoffs what, like 5 yrs in a row? They signed a couple OL, drafted a couple, signed fat eddie lacy. Russell wilson had some leg injuries early last season and couldnt scramble as well, but if he stays healthy this year, and the defense stays elite, the hawks will always have a chance.
But I think the packers and falcons and cowboys will be in the mix as well. Maybe the nfc is a little more wide open than the AFC, where the pats look like the dominant team, but that just makes it more fun.

Pop i think you'll be watching the Bolts more than you think this season, i think they'll finish with a winning record at least. They were playing decent at the midway point last year, until injuries and rivers turning into jay cutler (dont those 2 hate each other, from when cutler was on denver) the 2nd half of the season ruined it.

pop_rocks

In my empire of dirt
420club
thats a pretty hot taek, mushulatubbe
the seahawks are def one fo the better team in the nfc, but like baba' said there are a lot of teams that could win it all
i dont even think willson is the best qb in the conference so its up to their defence to pull them through
/the nfc is going to be very competitive next season

i am still goign to be watching the chargers play this season, but i wont be rooting for them like i used to
looking at their schedule (http://www.fbschedules.com/nfl-17/2017-los-angeles-chargers-football-schedule.php) it looks like a bunch of good games coming up
im especially excited about the thanksgiving game against the cowboys and im looking foreward to seeing them play the fins' as well
but im not goign to be as generous as you baba' as far wins/losses go
/if i had to guess, im seeing a 7-9 record or somewhere there abouts
if they can get their running game back on track and rivers isnt trying to force his throws i guess i could see them going 8-8 but it looks like they have a really tough schedule and are playing some up and coming teams
the best i can see right now is a wild card spot (and that is saying someone else dosent get hot)
i think its going to take at least 10 wins to get into the playoff as a wild card and 12+ to win the west

Last edited:

shithawk420

Veteran
Holy shit! That's a fantastic idea Meraxes! Genius! I'll start a jr hockey league called the shithawks and train the kids to grow my dope! You had to see the episode. Im surprised TPB haven't thought of that for a hockey name

Id like to get some advice from NFL rb's on who they think is the best orthopedic surgeon for them! Not what the team thinks is. Id be willing to bet it'd be good insight!

Bababooey

Horse-toothed Jackass
Veteran
Musha, what about that james andrews guy? Seems like he did half the knee operations in the nfl, then again i think he's in his 70's so maybe he's slowing down.
Just dont go to the chicago bulls' ortho surgeon, or whoever did derrick rose's knees. I think sometimes with doctors, reps get overblown; some guy who has a good rep may just be better at self promotion than actual surgery. Also, i think doctors who take on harder cases tend to have worse 'records', so their rep may not be as good as someone who avoids the bad cases.

Now that I think about it, Pop, you might be right about the bolts. They could be a decent to pretty good team and still finish 1-5 in their conference. I think the raiders wont be any worse next year, but denver (uncertain QB) and even KC (spent some draft capital taking their qb of the future) might take a step back record wise, so, you know, there's some chance the chargers could go 3-3 in the division.
But mostly i think after 2 yrs of terrible injury luck, the bolts have to 'regress towards the mean' and actually have average to good injury luck this year, which should account for 2-3 more wins I would think.

pop_rocks

In my empire of dirt
420club
yeah man, the afc west is going to be red hot this year and i can see the chargers going 3-3 with a little luck
i think kc will be looking to repeat last years run even without jamal charles and denver has a lot to prove
we will see if denvers search for a new qb pans out, but i still think they have a solid defence
kc took a step back in their run game but i think they are relying on alex smith to put up big numbers and their defence to keep them in games

the cocs are playing some up and coming teams in the eagles, dallas and miami plus face a tough streatch in the month of oct
/phi, nyg,oak,den, and the patriots
this could be huge month from a momentum standpoint and i could easliy see them losing every game in october
im standing behind the raiders winning the division and maybe kc/den taking one of the wild card spots

so which teams do you think will be hot this year?
who is going to flop?
will carolina step back into the mix and will dallas build on the success they had last year?
another team im expecting to improve is tampa bay

Fantasy candy!

Fantasy candy!

yeah man, the afc west is going to be red hot this year and i can see the chargers going 3-3 with a little luck
i think kc will be looking to repeat last years run even without jamal charles and denver has a lot to prove
we will see if denvers search for a new qb pans out, but i still think they have a solid defence
kc took a step back in their run game but i think they are relying on alex smith to put up big numbers and their defence to keep them in games

the cocs are playing some up and coming teams in the eagles, dallas and miami plus face a tough streatch in the month of oct
/phi, nyg,oak,den, and the patriots
this could be huge month from a momentum standpoint and i could easliy see them losing every game in october
im standing behind the raiders winning the division and maybe kc/den taking one of the wild card spots

so which teams do you think will be hot this year?
who is going to flop?
will carolina step back into the mix and will dallas build on the success they had last year?
another team im expecting to improve is tampa bay

I intend on using mostly afc west players in fantasy this yr! Yeeeeeeeehaaaaaaa!

Bababooey

Horse-toothed Jackass
Veteran
I think the titans will be better next year, they already have a pretty good defense, mariota should be better too. They spent the 5th overall pick from the Rams on WR Corey Davis, which a lot of draft experts thought was just as much of a reach as the bears for trubisky, but they needed weapons for mariota.

Browns should be better too, just because it's hard to only win 1 game again, but they also had a pretty good draft, with all those picks from the eagles trading up last year.

Not sure if the bears will be any better, whether trubisky or glennon starts they're probably looking at another 3-4 win season. But hey, that just means better draft picks.

Niners should be better, defense has nowhere to go but up and they got 2 of the better defensive players in the draft. Brian hoyer at qb isn't great but he completes a good % of his passes and for the most part keeps turnovers low.

I think the league in general is pretty hard to predict year to year, since every season is only 16 games (small sample size) and injury luck and won-loss record in games decided by 1 score or less are pretty random. Even the afc west, with 3 possible playoff teams, could wind up being underwhelming this season. Maybe the raiders wind up being the only team with double digit wins in that division. I guess we'll find out...

whadeezlrg

Just Say Grow
Veteran
corey davis was the best receiver in the draft imho, he will have fantasy relevance this season, and will also probably boost mariota's stats....I would have been fine taking him at 3 had da bears taken not-mitch w/ #2.

bears have seemingly imploded, I don't personally think trubisky will ever be a starter in the nfl...glennon is not a bad qb imho, he just never really got a chance in tb, ad once they added some real weapons, winston came in and looked like a stud...not saying glennon is or isnt as good as winston...but I'd say its a pretty safe bet that hes the best qb on chicagos roster.

niners D should be A LOT better, with the return of bowman and a competent DC...as well as a lot of young/cheap talent, should get progressively better over the next couple seasons....Our D-line is full of straight up DOGS! and our ILB's should be able to clean up whatever makes it past the first level...our #1 CB is coming into his 2nd year, and although he had a good season last year he will probably experience some growing pains...cb2 will probably end up being will redmond who was redshirted last season so this will be kinda like a rookie season for him(I forget but he may have gotten a few snaps last season) ward at FS and Reid playing closer to the line at SS...I'm honestly feeling pretty good about the D we could have on the field this season.

as for the 49er offense, I think we will be able to move the ball in the running and passing game...our o-line hasn't gotten much better, so I expect to see some kind of WCO where hoyer(or Beathard) wont be asked to hold onto the ball too long, hit receivers in stride and squeeze every last drop of YAC out of each completion...gotta admit, it's going to be awful nice to see ball hitting receivers in stride.