What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

NFL 2016

Bababooey

Horse-toothed Jackass
Veteran
Good to see you back whadeez.
I'm hoping the best for the bears, but the gm is not inspiring a lot of confidence in me. He bid against himself for glennon, traded up for no real reason to snag trubisky (odds are he didnt need to do that), drafted guys from lower tier schools (maybe it works out who knows).
If it all works out then he's good, if not then he's fired and we reset with new mgmt, probably a new coach. Which, constantly resetting the direction of the franchise makes a team like the browns, where a 3-5 year rebuild ends up being a 15-20 year rebuild...
I'm hoping trubisky is a franchise player, the whole 13 starts thing is worrisome, but supposedly he was the most accurate of the top prospects. I could live with accuracy, after watching cutler throw off his back foot into triple coverage too many times.

I didnt realize navorro tore his achilles after the first month of last season. Is that when their rush defense fell off the rails? I remember the first 2-3 years after urlacher retired, bears had a bottom 5 defense. Quite upsetting to see opposing RB's regularly rip off 10 yard runs when that rarely happened before.

I wish we had kept Hoyer, he was a much cheaper bridge option at qb than glennon. But the niners might face the same problem as the bears; a lack of star talent at WR. We've got a bunch of undrafted guys and other teams' #3 or #4 receivers, but not one true #1 receiver. Maybe you dont really need one to be successful, but still.

pop_rocks

In my empire of dirt
420club
whatup deez!
have to hope this season is a turning point for the 9'rs and i think the D' will be where it all begins
i think you did well in the draft and hopefully there will be one less distraction in the locker room

totally agree you baba', about the league being very unpredictable from year to year
/whole thing about past performance is not indicative of future results mumbo jumbo
but i think after you watch enough football you sort of get a feel for things
/some teams will be building on last years success and others will keep making the same mistakes over and over

on top receivers:
"Maybe you dont really need one to be successful, but still."
i kind of agree with this hottest of taeks!
/hits blunt till room spins... then starts typing
i think a good qb elevates the play of his receivers and are more important than a top receiver
outside of a handfull of really great receivers, i think the positions talent pool is pretty evenly spread
/starting nfl receivers are just amazing athletes
but look at the receivers guys like tom brady are working with
even philip rivers makes young,inexperienced receivers look good when he can make his throws
of course a few players are amazing and can change the games momentum, (looks at fitzy, megatron or julio jones) but overall i think top receivers have less impact on teh game than top qbs

until we see how the preseason sorts itself and first few games go, you just dont know who will be hot this year and who wont
but its always fun to talk about what will hopefully be the year for which ever team you are rooting for

whadeezlrg

Just Say Grow
Veteran
mike evans made manziel draftable....so imho it goes both ways

definitely less impactful though, mainly because wr's dont have the ball in their hands on every play like a qb does

I know the 9ers dont have that TRUE #1 matchup problem wr, we do however have garcon who is a dog, kerley, and burbridge(from michigan state- I really like connor cook last season, and I'm hopeful that burbs was a big reason that I liked cook as much as i did)...and some shifty beasly/welker-esque rookie that breaks out of his routes almost unbelievably...all in all I feel like this years wr's have a better shot all around..I'm ready for some preseason!

Bababooey

Horse-toothed Jackass
Veteran
I forgot, the bears have a #1 receiver, Kevin White, their 1st rd pick two years ago out of west virginia. He's just been so injured since coming into the league (missed his entire rookie year, with a broken left leg, played 4 underwhelming games last year before breaking the same leg) that i completely forgot about him. Maybe he stays healthy and shows why he was drafted so high, maybe it never happens for him...

brady's wr's are unheralded, but gronk was his #1 receiving threat for the past few years, to the extent that brady's numbers took a dive when gronk was injured. Last year when gronk got hurt the last month of the season, they were able to lean on their running game (and their rb's pass catching ability) to not skip a beat.
I think if a team has a good rushing offense then the need for an elite WR isnt as great; look at SF's and SEA's best seasons a few years ago.

I havent heard of burbridge but some talented players come out of michigan state; leveon bell was just another (not especially talented) RB out of the Big Ten and he got better and faster and now he's a top 3 RB.
With the niners, like the bears, it's a multi-year rebuild. They addressed the defense in the draft, the offense they'll tend to in next year's draft and maybe a little bit in free agency this year.

With all the rain in southern cali, the COC's are going to be playing in stubhub stadium till 2020 now. Wonder if they're starting to regret moving...

Supposedly kaepernick might become russell wilson's backup. What do you think about that whadeez?

shithawk420

Veteran
It goes against all odds but I just had a sudden feeling that the Bears might make the playoffs. Idk why but I guess I can hope

pop_rocks

In my empire of dirt
420club
some interesting stories about kaep and the possibility he is on some kind of dreaded black list with team owners around the league
its hard to tell why he is still a free agent esp when you consider some of the lesser talent that are finding roster spots around the league
i myself question his dedication to the game and think he needs to prove he wants to come back
one rumor has it he is asking for heavy money or wants to leave football all together?
im hoping he gets to play somewhere

a top receiver will def elevate the play of those around them
i was jsut kind of rolling wiht what baba' said
in reality, i think all the parts need to click for an offence to move the ball in the nfl
right now its a pass happy league and its the running back position that is out of style

thats the liquor talking hawk'
the bears are playing in another hot division with the pack and the lions, even mini got off to a hot start last season
i see them being a few years out even if this whole qb thing works out for them but who knows
thats the fun of the nfl

yeah the palace that kroenke is building is a big hole of water at the moment
i hear they are supposed to playa super bowl there
/there is supposed to be a rule about first year stadiums and super bowl games but i am sure the rog will grant a waver

im wiht you deez', cant wait fr the preseason to start

shithawk420

Veteran
Yeah, it was the liquor. I just had a drunk ray of hope for the Bears. Im really getting tired of being a chi fan in general. The cubs are doing good though.

pop_rocks

In my empire of dirt
420club
no worries,brother!
some of the bast laid plans started out with a few drinks (and then a few more)

who knows, this may be a turning point and im hoping all the best for you bears fans

whadeezlrg

Just Say Grow
Veteran
I hope that kaep gets a job, if for no reason other than Im confident that a decent amount of the $ in that contract will be going to some good cause.

I've personally never doubted his commitment to the game, all reports I've read have said he's in better shape than he has been over the last couple years...I support the guy and wish him the best, some of you guys remember I was never the biggest fan of his play(mainly around the time he took over for alex smith) although there were definitely some flashes.

I'm pretty happy to get an extra season of games in the coliseum, wasnt able to catch 9ers @ rams last season because it was on xmas eve and Ive got family obligations...this year theyre playing the last game of the season on NYE...week 17 games are often sloppy, featuring a lot of the roster depth as well...might catch that one if its cheap(both teams still suck, people couldnt give away rams tickets last season...too much traffic to go to a free game! LOL)

Bababooey

Horse-toothed Jackass
Veteran
It would be a mini miracle if the Bears went 7-9 next year. Maybe 5 or even 6 wins are within reason, they won 3 games last year and let several winnable games slip away (titans game last year they had like 5 dropped passes in the 4th qtr). But I'm thinking another 3-4 season is most probably, with an outside chance of an even worse outcome. But hey, high draft pick and all that. If the top 2 picks next year are the two LA qb's (Rosen and Darnold) then the bears could trade down for extra picks, assuming they don't give up on trubisky (hard to see that happening after 1 year).
I do wish trubisky becomes a solid starter for them, because this whole chasing a QB thing is why they traded for and stuck with cutler for almost a decade, and that resulted in the bears being the worst team in the conference over the last 3 years. Well, that and some other bad moves (firing lovie off of a 10 win season, not resigning urlacher for another year or two, etc) but the cutler one gets the most attention i guess.
Speaking of #1 WR's, cutler's best years (2013 bears, denver) were with brandon marshall. Also, Ryan Fitzpatrick's best year was with marshall with the jets in 2015. In 2014 with the bears marshall injured first one, then the other ankle early in the season and couldn't be that go to guy anymore, same last year with the jets, think he sprained his knee the first month and things weren't the same. So maybe with marginal qb's you really need that receiver who can dominate 1 on 1 matchups and draw double teams to really have an effective passing game.
The COC's might have two of those guys with mike williams and keenan allen (assuming he can stay healthy), maybe 3 with hunter henry.

I think it's established kaepernick is not really an effective pocket passer by now, I'd like to think that is the reason he hasn't been signed yet, more so than any controversy he brings. But even if he never plays in the league again, he probably has a future in social justice causes. Whatever makes him happy. Cant imagine niners fans would be happy if he signed with the seahawks and contributed to a successful season for them, but niners fans probably aren't happy with any seahawks success.

shithawk420

Veteran
Thanks guys!da bears! Fuck I can't wait for football.! I know the Bears have a long shot but ya never know. I think its gonna be an interesting year for everyone

pop_rocks

In my empire of dirt
420club
the coc's look deep at the wr spot
the problem wiht these big play receivers is that they need a second or two to get open and make that big play
with their questionable O'line, i wonder how long rivers will have to make his reads and hit his receivers down field?
/when rivers isnt comfortable and able to step into his throws he tends to throw a lot of picks

plus they lost the mighty might, danny woodhead
he was hurt last season, but when he is on, he is pure football
/hes an excelent check down and plays hard on every play
im also wondering how gordon will run behind this new line

the qb problems in chicago take on an extra dimension when you consider that next year there might be some hot prospects at that position
if i had to guess right now i would say you guys are looking at a top 5 pick
going qb two years in a row is a tough move but it would be tough to pass on the next big thing at that postion
/i guess we will ahev to pick this conversation back up next year after we see how things have panned out

in other news the nfl is changing a bunch of the rules
the two that caught my eye were relaxing the flags throw on celebrations and the shortening of OT from 15 to 10 min

Bababooey

Horse-toothed Jackass
Veteran
Every team starts each season undefeated, so there's always hope, at least early on. But i think the bears will start the season against 4 probable playoff teams, so an 0-4 start is likely.
But the bears revamped their secondary, so their defense might continue to improve. And it'll be interesting to see how the QB's work out, and maybe that shaheen kid proves he can be an NFL tight end. If nothing else, hopefully jordan howard can have another good year running the ball.
But even if they get another top 5 pick next year, like the titans last year, they'd probably trade down with a qb needy team. Even if trubisky looks bad this year, you kind of have to stick with him another year or two to see if he can figure it out. Heck even manziel got 2 years with the browns, and that dude would show up hungover to practices.

The COC's might have gotten two of the best Off linemen in the draft, so maybe they'll be ok there.
woodhead was a great pass catching back, and you have to wonder at their depth behind melvin gordon next year, but if the OL is decent and the receivers stay healthy they should have a top 10 offense this season.
But if the new stadium isn't ready for another 3 years, you have to wonder if rivers is ever going to play there (he'll be 39 in 2020).
southern california suffers drought for years and years, but one good month of winter rains sets the whole project back a year, making the teams lose tons of $ in extra revenue. The owners can't be happy but karma, ya know...

pop_rocks

In my empire of dirt
420club
yeah, the young guys will be getting a lot of reps in preseason so we will see how things go
our first preseason game is against the raiders so we hit the ground running
even if its only a few snaps we will see how the cocs o'line holds up

if the cocs can field a top 10 offence they are playoff bound,baba'
i see their d improving and they could be monster
/if nothing else a full season of bosa and ingram should produce double digit sacks and tons of preasure on opposing qb's
but i think they took a big step back in their o'line
i give the team 6 wins (maybe 7)

while i dont believe in karma, i will admit i smiled a bit when i heard of the stadium delays

Bababooey

Horse-toothed Jackass
Veteran
I dont think it's unusual for offensive lineman, as rookies, to perform pretty well. Maybe preseason will show you something, but even when the starters play, it's often very basic schemes, not very representative of what they'll run in games that matter. But at least sometime in preseason you'll know where the rookies stand on the depth chart.
Even a top offense doesn't guarantee a playoff spot, especially with 3 teams in their division that will probably finish .500 or better. But the COC's finished 9th in ppg last year, so you figure they should do at least that well this year.
But Bosa looks like a stud pass rusher, with statistical measure putting him in elite territory (von miller, jj watt, etc) as far as pressuring the qb. Makes you wonder what he could have done with a full training camp under his belt, rather than holding out with that senseless (by the bolts gm) contract dispute.
It takes more than 1 or 2 good/great defensive players to make a solid defense though but it makes a nice foundation to build around. The COC's have a new def coordinator in gus bradley (former head coach of the jaguars) and are switching to the 4-3; time will tell if either of those moves will work out. But what hurt them the defense a lot was the league leading 35 turnovers (21 ints, 14 fumbles) they gave up last year; if they're even average this year that should put much less pressure on the defense.

Kaepernick's supporters held a stand in for him this week, good for him. Don't know how it helps him be more accurate with his short and intermediate range passing, but I guess that's not the point.

Richard sherman is apparently kind of a douche, refusing to let go of the superbowl loss to the patriots, also apparently jealous of russell wilson and his fame, endorsements and golden boy status with the team. Still a great player though.

pop_rocks

In my empire of dirt
420club
unfortunately, not a lot of owners or GM's were part of that group of kaep supporters it seems

i think the chargers shift to a 4-3 is just semantics i think
basically you will have one of the line backers with his hand on the ground
/just checked the roster and now they are listing ingram as a DE instead of a LB

totally agree that the blocking schemes are a lot simpler in the preseason
at least the young guys will be going against some bulls in practice and getting used to the strength and speed they will see week to week in teh pros
/if you can handle bosa in practice you will prob do all right for yourself
they actually have a pretty stacked D but are still have some weak spots
maybe the addition of tre boston can start to fill the hole weddle left, but i see the secondary as one of their weakest points

sherman is kind of a D'bag but he can put whole parts of the field on lock down

so the nfl has decided to move to super after all because of building delays and the chargers are expected to play an extra season in their temporary home
spanos and his greed may be rewarded with home crowds in the 1000's!
unless they are really hot and win over their new crowd, i see attendance falling off fast
i wonder how that will effect the teams play on the field?
/licks lips and smiles, the schadenfreude tastes great!

whadeezlrg

Just Say Grow
Veteran
I'm alright with kaep going to the pnw, mostly dislike the team/fans/Richard Sherman...phones about to die so I'm keeping it short this time lol

When i turn on the NFL i wanna watch football honestly, not social statements by folks who shoukd embrace the blessing of being able to make phenomenal amounts of money at an early age.
I dislike the shifting of the game as its gone from physical game of punishing runners and defenses that were bullerproof.( buddy ryan type d's)
Its very protected now and i understand the meanings behind alot of the new regulations around player safety.
I just miss ole rodney hampton and jumbo elliott making "canallays" to run through!
Back then you couldnt pull me from those games. I miss it!

pop_rocks

In my empire of dirt
420club
so it looks like the hawks' are passing on kaep
i cant believe that he is not getting any offers and have to wonder what the deal is
if he is chasing starter money thats one thing, but i would believe that by now he would be willing to negotiate considering the lack of interest hes getting

so i wonder whats next for him?
sit around and hope for a mid'season offer or look for another league?
there is a lot of talent goign to waste there, thats for sure
/i wonder how he is with a baseball?

whadeezlrg

Just Say Grow
Veteran
you know, a ton of people say the same thing about kaepernick's kneeling; the thing is over the last few years the nfl stopped showing the national anthem on tv...the first time kaepernick didn't stand for the anthem it was NOT televised, along with most non-49er games...you know, some folks feel compelled to leave the world a better place than the one they came into regardless of the amount of money they make...I honestly feel like the "thin blue line" is the modern confederate flag...the constitution protects NONE of us if it fails to protect even a single one of us...and peaceful protest is a constitutional right; regardless of it's means of delivery.

I believe colin was drafted by some mlb franchise, but chose football. at this point it's fairly obvious he's being blackballed; not that he is great qb but guys that are signing deals couldn't hold CK's jockstrap...maybe he gets his shot after a few injuries around the league.

anyone catch eric davis' tweet talking about how shnieder was called by nfl reps urging the seahawks to not sign kaep? then kaep retweeted it...not too far from a smoking gun.