What's new

NFL 2016

pop_rocks

In my empire of dirt
420club
wow~!
just wow,chi-town

/i like garrett and hopes he a step in the right direction for cleveland
//i also like fournette going so high, i think he has what it takes to excel in the bigs

Bababooey

Horse-toothed Jackass
Veteran
Thats what i get for trolling the browns...
It's not so much they took trubisky at #2; who knows, he might actually become a franchise qb. He seems like the most accurate of the college qb's, so that's something I guess. He's not a bust YET, so that's also something.
It's that the Bears gave up 3 midround picks (3rd & 4th rd this year, 3rd next year) to move up one spot. This only makes sense if some other team (Jags maybe?) wanted to leapfrog chicago to take trubisky, and chicago had to outbid them.
So unless pace is an idiot (possible) or john lynch is a scamming a-hole (he's a rookie gm, but still, there's supposedly a code of honor among gm's, that if you deceive another team, word gets around and no one will do business with u again), then maybe the bears had to do what they did if they really thought trubisky was their guy.
Still, unless he turns out to be a franchise qb, seems like a waste...

Even signing glennon to be your qb for 45M even though youre taking a qb high in the draft may be defensible; that contract is really a 1yr 18 or 19M deal. Still an overpay if he sucks, but at least you can get of him after 1 year. Also, it's not unreasonable to expect a qb, especially a 1 year starter like trusbisky, to need a year or two of seasoning before being nfl ready.

So the bears went all in on qb's this offseason. Could be disaster, could work out in the end. Only time will tell...

shithawk420

Veteran
Unbelievable is all i can say. I guess if chi can't be the best then dammit were gonna be the worst dagnabit!

Bababooey

Horse-toothed Jackass
Veteran
The bears' offensive line isn't good, but im not sure theyre that bad either; they were 8th in sacks given up and had a pretty good yard per rush average.
I'd be more concerned about who trubisky is going to throw to; after losing alshon to the eagles, the bear's top receivers are mostly uproven (kevin white) or undrafted free agents. Not saying they cant be productive, but still, cant really consider it a team strength.

The chiefs and texans also traded up in the first round for QB's, they each gave up next year's first round pick. So the bears werent the only ones chasing a qb in the draft. Not sure if that makes me feel better though...

shithawk420

Veteran
ive just given up to be honest.its gonna be a long time before we have a good team again.ive lived in ATL for a while so i guess they are the team im rooting for this year.they fucking deserved that SB.they really are a good team

pop_rocks

In my empire of dirt
420club
this could be alex smiths last year in KC
Mahomes could be their next franchise QB after some seasoning and alex smith comes with a big cap hit next year
i like what andy reid has done with QBs in the past,but i wonder how this will play out if they make a good run in the playoffs this year with smith under center

looks like cleveland ended up getting a qb prospect in kizer
i think he has potential but we will ahve to wait and see, he prob wont be starting this year
at least they dident overpay

i think atl should be right back in the mix this season

Bababooey

Horse-toothed Jackass
Veteran
I think Atlanta picked up some defensive pieces in the draft. Even though they lost shanahan to the niners, if their offense can still remain elite, and their defense gets better, they should be in the superbowl mix again. Unless they fall off like carolina did last year...

People are saying Mahomes is like a brett favre who can run. I guess since reid was favre's qb coach in GB for a couple years (which were some of favre's best years) the assumption is he can minimize the bad parts of mahomes gunslinger play. So it'll be a year or two or even three before we see if he can play or not.

I'm not sure trubisky will get that sort of patience, especially if the bears suck again this year, which is pretty likely. Although they had a bad record in 1 score games last year, and that tends to even out over time, so maybe they're due an extra win or two just based on that. But if the bears are out of the playoff race by late in the season (reasonable to assume), and glennon is not playing well, fans will start clamoring for trubisky, just to see what he can do.

Pop, do you think the chargers had a good draft? They got a #1 receiver in the 1st, and a top rated o-lineman in the 2nd.

pop_rocks

In my empire of dirt
420club
reid also had huge success with donovan mcnabb in phi
i think he has what it takes to bring out the best in mahomes

who do you think the bears are going to start on opening day?
i htink unless trubisky really shines in the preseason we will see glennon start the season, but i wonder for how long?
/will it be sanchez who is next up, or do you think they are going straight to the rookie
i guess we will all just have to watch how he progresses in camp and the preseason to get an idea of where he sits on the depth chart

no baba', i dont think the chargers did well with their first pick
i think johnathan allen would have been a better addition overall and they could have traded down (KC?)and maybe added some more picks in the later rounds
even malik hooker would have filled a role as the chargers are still looking for eric weddles replacement at safety (again, trading down and getting more picks)
if they really wanted to add to their offence, i would ahve went with a tight end
gates is nearing the end of his career and both the TE picked in the first round look like they could step in and play
i still see keenan allen as being their no1 receiver

Bababooey

Horse-toothed Jackass
Veteran
Sanchez is a human turnover machine, and bears fans have been there and done that. If he made up for it in other ways like throwing for a ton of yards and td's, then maybe you tolerate it, but he doesn't. I dont even know why he's in the league still. He sucked for the broncos last year in the preseason, got picked up by the cowboys and never played until they rested Dak in week 17 and sanchez threw 2 int's in the final regular season game, a loss to the eagles.

I think trubisky isnt going to be the starter in week 1, but like you said, we'll see how training camp and preseason games go. If Glennon is at least competent during that time, and stays healthy, i think he starts, and i think that would be a good thing for trubisky to learn and study and get better over time. But those top draft picks, you want to see what they can do, so maybe he starts week 1. You just hope he doesn't get thrown to the wolves and loses confidence before he gets a chance to really develop...

The chargers were middle of the pack in yards given up per game but bottom 5 in pts given up per game, so you make a good point that they should have gone defense at the top of a defense heavy draft class. But with a franchise qb somewhat near the end of his career, i guess they did what they could to make him happy and effective, so he isn't tempted to say screw this and retire.
I would think they would still broadcast chargers games in the san diego market; maybe some fans would refuse to watch them, but hey, football is football, and at least watching them is better than watching the rams.

pop_rocks

In my empire of dirt
420club
i hear you brother
im still watching football on sundays
i guess the chargers are still the local team but i would not mind seeing more nfc match ups with the rams
i would watch which ever team is on the tv or who ever they were playing against
the thing i see changing is that im not going to be glued to the tv and plan my sundays around football now
i can go for a bike ride and just drop in whenever to watch, instead of being up at 9 to get ready for the early game (10a) or making sure to get home early for the afternoon game at 1p
/ i iwll miss my day drinking tho and will still catch some of those early games
plus, there will be two teams playing so i can root for whoever

yes, i saw this as a chance for teh chargers to add to their D
with bosa, ingram, liuget up front they have some good players on D' and i think allen would have been a good fit

rivers is a classic pocket passer and needs protection to make his reads
i like the size of the chargers at WR but we will see how much they can protect rivers to make those throws

the first preseason game is against the raiders so its going to be fun
/i can actually see myself rooting for players on both teams

cant wait for football!

Bababooey

Horse-toothed Jackass
Veteran
I'm not sure what i would do if the bears left chicago for some other city. I would definitely be conflicted about still following them. But hey, at least chargers fans actually liked their QB.

I dont know if there are any 49er fans still on this board (what, norcal people dont smoke weed?), but they look like theyre a team on the rise. Got some good defensive talent to help their league worst run defense, got a qb in the 3rd rd (joe montana was a 3rd rounder, but please...), have a head coach who hasnt proved himself terrible yet. Not sure if they're going to win more than 5 games next year, but still, rome wasnt built in a day...

Reading about the trubisky pick, the last time a team moved up from #3 to #2 was san diego for ryan leaf, and they gave up next years 1st rounder too plus a couple players, so compared to that trade up, the Bears actually paid a lot less than the chargers did. Pop, do you remember that draft, or are you trying to erase it from your memory?
I just hope trubisky doesnt turn out the same; so long as he's not lazy and doesn't become a drug addict, he should at least be better than leaf...

shithawk420

Veteran
Wait what? The bears would never leave. Not anytime soon. We are far to established. Hell Ditka has restaurants all over DuPage and Cook county. I realize its a hypothetical question but if the bears did leave where would they go? Who the hell would want them!? and for the record im about to say fuck the Bears as it is! Fu get about it they move! Lol jk

pop_rocks

In my empire of dirt
420club
oh you bet i remember ryan leaf!
in a world of first round busts, he was something extra special
/ i think he is still held as one of the biggest busts of all time

i think the thing most people are shaking their head at is the bears moving up one spot to land trubinski, like there was someone else who was going to snatch him up
i hear it rumored that jacksonville was supposed to have an eye on him, but who was going to traded up to get him?
/and every draft board i saw had 9ers going with solomon so he would have been there with their original pick
i know its too early to call this a bad move but its almost like they got so worked up reaching for the young gun that they lost sight to who they were bidding against
even if they dident land trubinski, there was talent in the later rounds
/you guys already had glennon so it wasnt like you were going into the season w/o a starting qb
//maybe SF or someone else would have came in and picked up trubinski if the bears hadnt made the deal, i guess we will never know

i agree that SF should be a team on the rise
they drafted deforest buckner with their first pick last year and i think solomon is going to be a solid addition to the D
i think the seahawks are trending down and this will open the door for the nfc west so it could be anyones division
i guess you can make a case for arizona, but im starting to doubt carlson palmer being the player was once made out to be
/watch as palmer leads league in passing and brings a championship to ariz

its funny you mention the bears moving from chi
its one of those thigns that you think would never happen but these past few years have been really weird as far as teams jumping ship for new stadiums
i never thought we would see the raiders leave california but we all know how this is playing out
other than chicago, i tihnk dallas is another team that is anchored in stone
too much history and tradition for either of those teams to move, as well as huge fan support
i wonder which team has played in their current city the longest?

Last edited:

shithawk420

Veteran
WELL!IM GLAD YOU ASKED! the Cardinals were actually FORMED in Chicago in 1899 and moved to ST.Louie in 1960 then moved to AZ in 1988.But the oldest established team is...you guessed it,the FUCKING PACKERS!.wich by the way,the bears and packers have the oldest NFL rivalry.The Packers were founded in 1919 the Bears same year.we might suck now but remember!we will always have the SuperBowl Shuffle!NOBODY CAN TAKE THAT AWAY!NOT EVER! LOL

Bababooey

Horse-toothed Jackass
Veteran
That's interesting, so Chicago had two professional football teams up until 1960? Think that was pre-superbowl era, before the AFL and NFL merged.
Teams move when their cities don't agree to fund (with additional taxes) new stadiums. Dallas opened up their billion dollar palace what, 6-7 years ago? Chicago renovated soldier field by dropping an ugly ass UFO in the middle of it; without that renovation, the bears might have moved to the chicago burbs. But da bears wouldnt have left illinois, that's pretty certain.

I think Jamarcus Russell was a bigger bust than Leaf; he was the #1 overall pick, although leaf had fewer td's and more int's (which is saying something).
But yknow, leaf seems like in a much better place, he's off the painkillers and booze, so good for him.
JaBustus was addicted to purple drank and food.
It took a few years, but both oakland and san diego eventually found their franchise qb's a few years after getting rid of their busts. So, even if trubisky turns out worst case scenario, there's always light at the end of the tunnel.

On si . com they had the inside story of the niners trading their pick to chicago; there definitely was another team interested in moving up. Who was it? Who knows, maybe cleveland (even though if they wanted trubisky they could have picked him #1), maybe jacksonville. But the bears had to give up an extra 3rd round pick (next year) in order to move up.
But youre right, the niners weren't interested in trubisky even though they need a franchise qb as well, and the bears wouldnt tell them who they would pick. If the bears had taken solomon thomas, the niners were set to draft reuben foster at #3 overall. However, the niners managed to get solomon at #3 and pick up reuben at #31 by trading up back into the end of the first round, so they did well, assuming both those guys can actually play (and stay healthy).

shithawk420

Veteran
Well the way i see it, we can't get worse! Atl might win this year cause i predict they gotta payoff that new stadium! Lol

pop_rocks

In my empire of dirt
420club
wow hawk', that is going way back
i had no idea that stl was once a chicago team
i remember when they played in st louis before them moving to arizona
/ do you think the stl cardinals ( baseball) were named cardinals because of the football team?
great trivia btw! thats really going back to the red grange leather helmet days of football

who can forget about jamarcus russel?!?
i remember him ballooning up to what 300# ? before camp one year
looks like leaf has some competition for the biggest bust in nfl history, so much fail to go around!
/honorable mention should go out to tod marinovich

looks like denver has picked up jamaal charles for a one year deal
im suprised that he was a free agent for so long but i guess there isnt a big market for 30 yr old running backs
i see this as a good move by denver and hopefully he can bring a decent running game to their offence