What's new

NFL 2014

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ottoman

Color me gone
Veteran
Just a bad game on D, they'll get it straighten out....i wouldn't be too worried if I was a fan of the colts.

Ottoman

Color me gone
Veteran
Big shout out and thanks to Jon Brown and the cardinals for beating philly, now the boys have a chance of being top of the division tomorrow night. That was a great game!

RetroGrow

Veteran
Whatever happened to defense? Never seen so many points scored. Two teams had over 50 points. How often do you see that? I had Patriots, but also bet the Colts like everyone else. So what do you think the halftime spread for the Colts/Steelers game was,after domination by the Steelers in the first half? Colts were favored by 4.5 before the game started. Then, after getting thumped in the first half, they actually raised the odds in favor of the Colts! Colts were favored by 7 @ halftime!
What? Thank you very much, I'll take the points, and parlayed Steelers in second half with Packers.
And that's why you watch the odds @ halftime. I should bet only @ halftime. Would be undefeated. Also took Texans @ halftime.

whadeezlrg

Just Say Grow
Veteran
doesn't the halftime spread disregard the actual game total and treat the half as it's own "game"? that's how I always thought it worked

Hold Your Fire

Finding my way back home
Veteran
Whatever happened to defense?

The league has systematically removed defense from the game with rules to protect "defenseless" players. I'll bet the league would love to see more games like the Colts v Steelers game today. High scoring games are exciting and sell tickets. Defensive battles are viewed as "boring" these days.
Who else remembers guys like Ronnie Lott throwing bone crushing hits, that made receivers not want to run crossing routes in the middle of the field.

RetroGrow

Veteran
doesn't the halftime spread disregard the actual game total and treat the half as it's own "game"? that's how I always thought it worked

Yes, the second half is a new game. Difference is, you already saw which lines were dominating, and which QB was hot, which players got hurt, etc. Steelers were dominating Colts in first half, who were 4.5 point favorites before the game. After being outplayed in the first half, somehow the spread went up on them for the second half. It was 7 to nothing Steelers when the second half began, with Ben having a career game, and Colts defense was miserable. I also thought those striped uniforms were making the Colts hallucinate...:biggrin:

RetroGrow

Veteran
The league has systematically removed defense from the game with rules to protect "defenseless" players. I'll bet the league would love to see more games like the Colts v Steelers game today. High scoring games are exciting and sell tickets. Defensive battles are viewed as "boring" these days.
Who else remembers guys like Ronnie Lott throwing bone crushing hits, that made receivers not want to run crossing routes in the middle of the field.

And penalties are way up because of that. The officials are too big a part of the game. I thought they stole one from the Ravens on that "flop", when receiver barely touched the defender. The officials are having too much impact on the games.
Remember Jack Tatum? He paralyzed Darryl Stingley on a vicious hit.
12 high school players have died this year already.
I saw a player from Detroit killed in a game against the old Titans in the AFL. Player never moved after the collision. Stadium went completely silent. You could hear a pin drop. It was awful.

Bababooey

Horse-toothed Jackass
Veteran
Guess my decision to pick up Indy's defense and start them was not so good.
Turnovers made it worse than it was, but Roethlisberger had a huge day. He once in a while puts up big numbers, but it's like a 1:5 ratio of big games to average games with him.
Does anyone think that destroying a top defense like this is the beginning of a big run for him, where he puts up top 5 QB numbers rest of season (Peyton, Rodgers, Rivers like numbers)?
Im thinking probably not...

RetroGrow

Veteran
Guess my decision to pick up Indy's defense and start them was not so good.
Turnovers made it worse than it was, but Roethlisberger had a huge day. He once in a while puts up big numbers, but it's like a 1:5 ratio of big games to average games with him.
Does anyone think that destroying a top defense like this is the beginning of a big run for him, where he puts up top 5 QB numbers rest of season (Peyton, Rodgers, Rivers like numbers)?
Im thinking probably not...

Yes. Definitely. His numbers improved because his protection improved,same as Brady. Neither had any blocking early in the season, but the coaches have adjusted to their situations. A couple of linemen go down,and it messes up the team, until their replacements get on the same page. He is as good as anybody. Just needed protection. Remember how they were saying Brady was finished a month ago?

Bababooey

Horse-toothed Jackass
Veteran
Yes, but this was one game, and Pittsburgh has had o line issues for, like, years now. Maybe half a decade. Roethlisberger is annually one of the most sacked QB's by year's end.
maybe his offensive line has turned a corner and they'll play great the rest of season. or maybe they just matched up really with the colts and had a great performance. time will tell.

whadeezlrg

Just Say Grow
Veteran
I doubt ben gets close to putting up those insane numbers again...that was just crazy...awesome to watch...I wouldn't bet my fantasy season on it

Bababooey

Horse-toothed Jackass
Veteran
the lions are in control of the North at the midway point. somehow, this year its their opponents who are making the crucial mistakes and boneheaded decisions.
their defense is championship caliber so far, but didnt fairley get hurt yesterday?
i cannot imagine a world where the lions make a deep playoff run but there it is, that possibility certainly exists.

Hold Your Fire

Finding my way back home
Veteran
I doubt ben gets close to putting up those insane numbers again...that was just crazy...awesome to watch...I wouldn't bet my fantasy season on it

Ben's the only QB in history with 2 500 yd. passing games, so yeah, it's doubtful.

Lions are doing it without their receiving core as well. However, I've been a Lions fan a long time. I'll get excited when they're in the playoffs.

RetroGrow

Veteran
Tonight's game? Tough call. Lots of points. Might wait 'till halftime, or put a small bet on Dallas and adjust @ half if necessary. Washington won last week with tonight's starting QB in relief.

iTarzan

Manning when with the Colts could have had 600 yards and 8-9 TD passes in several games. He had 5 a bunch of times and a couple of them he left the game after a set of downs right after halftime.

He had 6 a couple of times and left near the end of the 3rd both times. The Colts never ran up the score. Brady had 6 twice and at least once I remember they were beating somebody 40-7 and still chucking a td pass in the 4th quarter.

Big Ben was able to do it because the Colts were still in the game trying to win with a chance to win. It takes the right game to do it.

Manning could have smashed the record 4 times but they were winning so badly that Dungy called off the dogs.

RetroGrow

Veteran
Manning when with the Colts could have had 600 yards and 8-9 TD passes in several games. He had 5 a bunch of times and a couple of them he left the game after a set of downs right after halftime.

He had 6 a couple of times and left near the end of the 3rd both times. The Colts never ran up the score. Brady had 6 twice and at least once I remember they were beating somebody 40-7 and still chucking a td pass in the 4th quarter.

Big Ben was able to do it because the Colts were still in the game trying to win with a chance to win. It takes the right game to do it.

Manning could have smashed the record 4 times but they were winning so badly that Dungy called off the dogs.

If "ifs" & "buts" were gifts and nuts, every day would be Christmas.
Peyton Manning never threw for 500 yards in a game. His high was 479.
There have been only 16 500 yard passing games in NFL history, and Ben is the only person with more than one. Brady did it once.
Norm Van Brocklin has the single game record @554 yards, but that was in overtime.

Status
Not open for further replies.