What's new

NFL 2014

Status
Not open for further replies.

whadeezlrg

Just Say Grow
Veteran
Deez, Lombardi was fired from Cleveland working as the GM for only 1 year. He is now on the patriots staff as an adviser I believe. It's crazy too he did some good things just in that 1 year too I was shocked they did it, he got them that 1st round pick for t-bust and hired what seems to be a pretty good head coach in Pettine before he left not to mention drafted the 5 million dollar joint man josh gordon.
gotcha! shit happens in the blink of an eye in this league...that one slipped through the cracks

rasputin

The Mad Monk
Veteran
Unless he can coach or play QB, it's not going to matter, although Geno had his best game last night. The Jets are a dysfunctional organization, due to the fact that their owner doesn't care. He is the owner of Cablevision (inherited), and he also owns the Knicks.

James Dolan (Knicks owner) doesn't own the Jets, Woody Johnson (of Johnson & Johnson) does. Dolan, or was it his dad?, tried to buy the Jets back when Johnson did, I think he was just trying to jack the buying price.

The best part is, a team of sports financial analysts were hired to evaluate the purchase and they basically said Johnson overpaid for the Jets by about $400 million. He paid $650mil in 2000. Adjusted for inflation today that would be a purchase price of $860mil.

Would anyone today pay $860mil for the NY Jets? I think not.

They are two of the luckiest assholes in the world right there, both inherited empires. Two of the scummiest assholes in the world, too. It's no coincidence both their franchises suck shit. Karma, baby.

Bababooey

Horse-toothed Jackass
Veteran
The jaguars sold in 2012 for 770mil, you dont think the jets in ny/nj are worth a billion easy? i think the clippers selling for 2 billion this year skewed franchise prices, even across other leagues.
i thought geno smith looked alright during the game against the patriots, made some throws, even his misses werent too bad. if he could improve on his accuracy a bit and be a little quicker in his decision making, he could be something. oh, that and turnovers. gotta protect the ball. too bad the bloodthirsty ny media will eventually undermine him and the team, causing him to lose confidence in himself.

rasputin

The Mad Monk
Veteran
I'm talking $860mil in 2000 money. Adjusted for inflation that is what he paid for the team back then. Actually, that is the low ball figure because I used the CPI inflation figure which is absolute bullshit. Inflation has certainly been higher than the annual 2-3% figure they use so even at a more accurate though still low figure of 5% he paid even more than $860mil in 2000 for the Jets.

The question isn't if it's worth it, that's too relative to be a worthwhile metric because something is worth what someone else will pay for it. A better question is would you pay for a hamburger today at next Tuesdays price? He paid for a hamburger in 2000 at 2010-11 prices. That better be a damn good burger for that money.

He paid approx. $635mil in 2000. The current valuation is $1.8bil. In 14 years his investment slightly doubled, that's an annual ROI of less than 4%. If the Jets were stock Johnson owned he would have sold long, long ago or he would be a laughingstock among investors. Of course, he is atypical in the sense that he has more money than he knows what to do with. That's how you overspend to the tune of approx. $400-600mil for a football team that doesn't have its own stadium, is second fiddle in its own town and has had one major marquee player in the last 15-20 years, Curtis Martin.

You're right though, valuations are going ever higher and teams in NY, LA are going to benefit the most from that. I think many teams are over-valued, a potential sign a massive correction is coming. Tough to say, but how many Steve Ballmers are out there to buy up sports franchises? It's a short list. The NFL has a tough task sustaining the current level of growth even with aggressively pursuing international markets. Just like how many Americans don't give a shit about soccer, a lot of people outside the US don't give a shit about NFL. The US is reaching a saturation point.

How many more cynical in-season campaigns can the NFL come up with to get you to buy a different color themed jersey? Pink, camo, retro... what next? TV deals are the main money source, after that it's merch and ticket sales. All fairly stable figures that don't expect to increase much unless you count the weakening of the dollar raising prices as "increasing" revenues. Much like movie ticket sales, when you adjust for inflation the numbers aren't as impressive as they seem.

The Jaguars were oversold at 770mil, IMO. I understand fully that the value of something is what someone will pay for it but that doesn't mean things aren't over-priced or over-sold. Some people just have too much money and not enough ideas of what to do with it.

Storm Shadow

Veteran
Percy Harvin is a G...

http://seattletimes.com/html/seahawks/2024808382_seahawks18xml.html

Report: Percy gave Tate a black eye last year

A source tells the Seattle Times that Percy Harvin got into an altercation with Golden Tate during Super Bowl week last season, resulting in a black eye for Tate.

This confirms an initial report from The Sideline View's Lance Zierlein. A source also tells the Seattle Times that Harvin had an altercation with Doug Baldwin in August that resulted in Baldwin getting a cut on his chin. A final straw was reportedly Harvin balking about going back into last week's game against Dallas, possibly angry over not being used more early on. Zierlein was told "Harvin's anger issues are just too much to deal with and he could single handedly bring down team chemistry."

rasputin

The Mad Monk
Veteran
So the Vikings were right? He's an asshole that is difficult to deal with and often not worth the trouble? Just what the Jets needed, eh Retro? :D

Fly by Night

Like a Wing
Veteran
and has had one major marquee player in the last 15-20 years

19-mark-gastineau-sports-mullets.jpg

Bababooey

Horse-toothed Jackass
Veteran
man, gastineau looks like an ape. or a neanderthal. big, sloping shoulders, long arms, huge hands, prominent brow ridge, and hairy.
his daughters are hot enough, though.

isnt 1.8 billion almost 3x 635 million? or you are using the inflation adjusted figure of 860million?
either way, you are forgetting the value of owning an NFL franchise is not just its market value, but the pride it gives the owner to have one of only 32 teams in the world. is there a name for that? intrinsic, inherent value or something...
a rich person who doesnt care about sports probably wouldnt be interested in a sports team if ROI could be much greater in other businesses, but for the rich sob's who do care about sports, they love owning a team, if only to show it off to their rich friends.
are half of all rich people sports fans? are half of people in general sports fans? besides, rich people have to spend their money on something. how many houses and planes and yachts and artwork can you own before you say maybe ill buy the la clippers cause im bored of sailing around the world?
you should equate ownership of teams not along business terms but along personal terms.

RetroGrow

Veteran
James Dolan (Knicks owner) doesn't own the Jets, Woody Johnson (of Johnson & Johnson) does. Dolan, or was it his dad?, tried to buy the Jets back when Johnson did, I think he was just trying to jack the buying price.

The best part is, a team of sports financial analysts were hired to evaluate the purchase and they basically said Johnson overpaid for the Jets by about $400 million. He paid $650mil in 2000. Adjusted for inflation today that would be a purchase price of $860mil.

Would anyone today pay $860mil for the NY Jets? I think not.

They are two of the luckiest assholes in the world right there, both inherited empires. Two of the scummiest assholes in the world, too. It's no coincidence both their franchises suck shit. Karma, baby.

Right! They are both so similar, that I got them mixed up. At least the Knicks are trying to win. The Jets are a joke. The Knicks are right there, and they will get Mark Gasol next season. The Jet's franchise is valuable, simply because of their market. Their games are always sold out, even as bad as they play. With 20 million people within driving distance, there are enough masochists among them to fill up the seats.

RetroGrow

Veteran
So the Vikings were right? He's an asshole that is difficult to deal with and often not worth the trouble? Just what the Jets needed, eh Retro? :D

Rex would welcome Jack The Ripper if he could throw, run or pass. They are famous for their gangster types. But let's not single them out....Ray Lewis is a double murderer, and he is announcing for CBS.

RetroGrow

Veteran
has had one major marquee player in the last 15-20 years, Curtis Martin.

Well, they have had some other good players, including 7 Hall of Famers, and one Hall Of Fame coach:

Ronnie Lott (1993-1994)
Curtis Martin (1998-2005)
Don Maynard (1960-1972)
Art Monk (1994)
Joe Namath (1965-1976)
Bill Parcells (1997-99)
John Riggins
Art Monk

And some other notable players who are not in the Hall yet, although Joe Klecko should be, and probably Gastineau:

Joe Klecko
Freeman McNeil
Wesley Walker
Marty Lyons
Al Toon
Mark Gastineau
Winston Hill
Matt Snell
John Abraham
Greg Buttle
Mo Lewis
Aaron Glenn
Marvin Powell
Kevin Mawae
Winston Hill
Bruce Harper
Pat Leahy

Some of those go back a ways, but most are reasonably recent.

RetroGrow

Veteran
Let's hear some picks for this weekend. So far, I have bet:

INDIANAPOLIS
CLEVELAND
SEATTLE
GREEN BAY
BALTIMORE
SAN DIEGO
DALLAS
ARIZONA

Parlays:

INDIANAPOLIS
BALTIMORE
SAN DIEGO ...3 team parlay

INDIANAPOLIS
BALTIMORE...2 team parlay

INDIANAPOLIS
SAN DIEGO...2 team parlay

BALTIMORE
SAN DIEGO...2 team parlay

BALTIMORE
SAN DIEGO
DALLAS...3 team parlay

SAN DIEGO
DALLAS
INDIANAPOLIS...3 team parlay

Will add more tomorrow, when I get the lines for the quarters/halves/and "props".
San Fran & Denver, I can't pick, so will wait and see how I do on the early games before taking a shot. To me, it's a coin flip. Probably wait 'till halftime.

What you all think?

Ottoman

Color me gone
Veteran
I am taking a few games today....

Zona -3.5.....I hate betting against 0 win teams plus the raiders have covered 9 of the last 12 they've played. Still I think zona wins by 4 or more today.

KC +4.5......The line has dropped significantly to 3-3.5 the past couple days but I was lucky enough to scoop them up at a better number. HOF retard plays a hard close game today.

Seattle -6.5.....Them not having Percy doesn't bother me at all they would have won it all without him anyways last year. I also think coming off a tough loss at home and having 2 losses already that they're coming to play tough and are def better than a TD against the rams.

wanted to take carolina at +7 but still undecided for now I am taking the 3 and if I feel saucy I'll take carolina but probably not....If I am doing alright after the 3 games I might jump on SF +7 tonight. Also seen the cowboys line jump around a lot this week, I'd personally stay away just because I don't trust my boys as home favorites plus their D still sucks which I think eli can pick apart. Yes they lost Cruz last week and it hurts to lose a guy like that but I don't think its as big of a deal as most would, to top it off g-men got shut out last week no way they play that awful 2 weeks in a row.

Miraculous Meds

I am taking a few games today....

Zona -3.5.....I hate betting against 0 win teams plus the raiders have covered 9 of the last 12 they've played. Still I think zona wins by 4 or more today.

KC +4.5......The line has dropped significantly to 3-3.5 the past couple days but I was lucky enough to scoop them up at a better number. HOF retard plays a hard close game today.

Seattle -6.5.....Them not having Percy doesn't bother me at all they would have won it all without him anyways last year. I also think coming off a tough loss at home and having 2 losses already that they're coming to play tough and are def better than a TD against the rams.

wanted to take carolina at +7 but still undecided for now I am taking the 3 and if I feel saucy I'll take carolina but probably not....If I am doing alright after the 3 games I might jump on SF +7 tonight. Also seen the cowboys line jump around a lot this week, I'd personally stay away just because I don't trust my boys as home favorites plus their D still sucks which I think eli can pick apart. Yes they lost Cruz last week and it hurts to lose a guy like that but I don't think its as big of a deal as most would, to top it off g-men got shut out last week no way they play that awful 2 weeks in a row.

I like the Arizona pick, an seattle. I went the other way with dallas and KC, and u take away Nyg best receiver after a game like last week and im putting my money against them all day.

I think Denver is gonna cover but I got them for -6. of course u no that 7 sucks. Im not sure id bet that if the number was 7, even though I think they will still cover.

gl bud

Miraculous Meds

My favorites are
Indy -4
Cleve-6
SD-4
Arizona-4
Denver-6
dallas-7

Still betting but not as much

Atlanta +7
Buffalo-5

and New Orleans +3 for some reason against that #1 defense, probably my weakest pic, but I got a feeing!

Ottoman

Color me gone
Veteran
MM, 7 and 6 can be the difference in taking a game or not for me personally as well, especially in a match up like this one. I hear ya on the Saints I don't like Detriots O to score enough points without Calvin they're a different team without him. Good luck today!

Ottoman

Color me gone
Veteran
Yeah that was awesome! I also loved that punt return TD, Pete Carroll had no clue what happened. Rams deserved that game and their special teams should get the credit.

whadeezlrg

Just Say Grow
Veteran
^^^ so true, they played good ball especially in the first half...kinda sucks they needed the trickery to seal it up but ill take it....my niners are foaming at the mouth right now!

Status
Not open for further replies.