What's new

Aqua Master brand pH measurement tools

ice minus

Hi folks, my local grow shop has completely ditched Hanna after they were informed Hanna's warranty has been even further reduced to mere months for their pH pen products, and have brought in a new line that is rather expensive; a European brand called AquaMaster

It looks to be a high priced item which I would probably splurge for if the feedback on it was good. I am absolutely sick and tired of having to fall back to my pH drops because my existing Hanna pen has become so awful and unreliable.

I don't want to go BlueLab which is the other brand they carry as I hear their support is absolutely atrocious and their warranty is horrible as well

Thank you kindly!

Last edited by a moderator:

Creeperpark

Mentor
Veteran
Hi folks, my local grow shop has completely ditched Hanna after they were informed Hanna's warranty has been even further reduced to mere months for their pH pen products, and have brought in a new line that is rather expensive; a European brand called AquaMaster

It looks to be a high priced item which I would probably splurge for if the feedback on it was good. I am absolutely sick and tired of having to fall back to my pH drops because my existing Hanna pen has become so awful and unreliable.

Any first hand feedback on this brand would be great.. I don't want to go BlueLab which is the other brand they carry as I hear their support is absolutely atrocious and their warranty is horrible as well

Thank you kindly!

Here is a link to the lineup of products available to me: pH, EC, TDS Measurement - Indoor Farmer
I agree with you friend when it comes to Hanna meters. I will never own another Hanna and never recommend anyone to buy one. Those AquaMaster pens look pretty good but I haven't used one. I have had good luck with the Oakton pocket pH meter for the last 5 years.

Rooster067

Hi there! New guy here, and would like to join in. I started growing a few months ago, and have been fighting with PH ever since. Well, the PH Pen anyway, Lol. I really don't know why a PH meter needs to be so expensive, but I didn't have much luck at all with the $10 one I started with. Quickly learned that is was not consistent, and my plants were suffering for it. I went several weeks before going to the drops and realizing my PH was out of whack.
I have read you shouldn't let the bulb on the PH Meters dry out. They should be kept soaking in a Storage Solution, or a lot of folks just keep them soaking in clean tap water. They should also be replaced over time. I'm not sure how accurate any of this is, I just take it all in and work it out myself.
I don't mind using the drops on clean water, but the pen was nice for measuring nutrient solutions and runoff. I'm currently looking at the Apera line of instruments on Amazon. The have a Value Line with a separate PH and EC meter in the $50 a piece range. Not the cheapest, not top of the line, but I'm hoping good enough to do what I'm doing...

Creeperpark

Mentor
Veteran
Hi there! New guy here, and would like to join in. I started growing a few months ago, and have been fighting with PH ever since. Well, the PH Pen anyway, Lol. I really don't know why a PH meter needs to be so expensive, but I didn't have much luck at all with the $10 one I started with. Quickly learned that is was not consistent, and my plants were suffering for it. I went several weeks before going to the drops and realizing my PH was out of whack.
I have read you shouldn't let the bulb on the PH Meters dry out. They should be kept soaking in a Storage Solution, or a lot of folks just keep them soaking in clean tap water. They should also be replaced over time. I'm not sure how accurate any of this is, I just take it all in and work it out myself.
I don't mind using the drops on clean water, but the pen was nice for measuring nutrient solutions and runoff. I'm currently looking at the Apera line of instruments on Amazon. The have a Value Line with a separate PH and EC meter in the $50 a piece range. Not the cheapest, not top of the line, but I'm hoping good enough to do what I'm doing...
You get what you pay for when it comes to service. If you go cheap then you may be wasting your money in the long run. It's extremely important to always buy storage as well as calibration fluids with any pH meter purchase.

Your pH meter can easily be checked just by sticking it into a #7 calibration fluid. If it reads 7 then you are good to go, if it doesn't then just simply hit the calibration button. When buying a new meter it's a must to buy the fluids too. I have had meters last for years just following this rule.

goingrey

Do you really need it soaking in storage solution? I've just put a drop in the cap every time I use it, as recommended by the hydro store guy.

The pH meter I'm using is the Milwaukee pH 600 which goes for $25. So far it has been fine but I have only been using it for some months. Before that it was in storage but never used for a couple of years.

Rooster067

No idea really, just going by what I've learned so far. Just like everything I guess, it depends on who you ask. I would guess that anything you do to keep the bulb wet would be OK. I had been doing the opposite.

Rooster067

The more I learn about PH meters, the more I tend to agree. And that's true for almost everything. I had gotten the test solutions for calibration, accidently ordered two different sets so I have plenty, and every time I checked the calibration, it was never more that .3 or so off. Then, maybe later in the day, or the next day, it would be reading 1-2 higher, or maybe right, or maybe not. It's just not consistent.

Ca++

I just got a $5 yellow from China, as I want one for clean, and one for dirty. Beside my eutech/oakton it's weakness is that you can't stir with it. This might not bother some, but I find dripping in the acid, while I stir with the meter, to be ideal procedure with a few liters, or even just a jug of solution being made up. I won't buy a $5 one again, but there is quite a lot of action at $10 (then you have to buy batteries at home, and it feels like having your ass cored out)

The first wet can be important, and so check the instructions. Also keep away from measuring RO, as it sucks the life out of them. Always store with it's lid on, but I find that alone is wet enough. Over time the response will start to lag, as a sign it's getting old. The reading should really jump to within 0.3 in a few seconds, then settle within a few more. If it takes a while to even get close, then it may never settle correctly. Fine for soil perhaps, but less use in hydro.
They can last many years, but are actually in peak condition for just months. There can be no 12 month warranty on a pH probe. It's a bit like your toothbrush. Your dentist will try ans sell you a new one every month. You know it will keep in shape for 6 months. You also know it will last years if you just soldier on with it.

If this is not your experience with them, then something is probably wrong.