What's new

Newbie tries to grow weed

Limolax

My plants buttom leafes are getting pale, yellowed and dried. I know it's normal for plants to lose their old or damaged leafe but I am worried. So here are some pictures of what i am talking about.

So what do you guys think? Is it Normal? This was the 3rd set from the bottom (counting the first catlydone leafs) that is getting yellowed slowly.

Hi,
Looks completely normal to me. I have this happen every single plant I grow. Wait till leaves are full yellow and then pick them off. Please no nutrients from here on out. Just water thoroughly when pot is dry. Remember to water in morning and keep good airflow. During the high humidity of the summer you have to worry about mold on the buds. Have you switched to flower yet?

My plants buttom leafes are getting pale, yellowed and dried. I know it's normal for plants to lose their old or damaged leafe but I am worried. So here are some pictures of what i am talking about.
[URL="https://www.icmag.com/ic/picture.php?albumid=58993&pictureid=1436760&thumb=1"]View Image[/URL] [URL="https://www.icmag.com/ic/picture.php?albumid=58993&pictureid=1436759&thumb=1"]View Image[/URL]
So what do you guys think? Is it Normal? This was the 3rd set from the bottom (counting the first catlydone leafs) that is getting yellowed slowly.

BigBozat

2 cents

2 cents

It's 2 separate closets. Veg and bloom. Bloom closet is bit wider.
-Veg room: (1 w by 0.4 d by 2 h) meter. Light cycle is 20-4
-4 fluorescent lamp at 20 watts each hanging from sealing with chains (80 watts total)
-A CPU fan blowing air into the plants with intake hole that gets room temp air at around 22-25
---------------------------------

So, 80 watts for roughly 4.3 sf = 18.6w/sf?
Might be enough for cloning, but seems pretty low for vegging plants.

Just wondering: What spectrum(s) flouros r u using?

My general thought: More light! (50w/sf min). Maybe favor cool blues (4000k) and Daylight (5000k+); the 'Warm' / 2700k are ok, but I'd definitely want to add more of the blue spectrums during veg.

-Bloom room (1.8 w by 0.4 d by 2 h) meter. Light cycle is 12-12
-One 400 watts MH lamp hanging from top
-A stronger fan that takes the air close to the MH lamp and an intake air hole that gets room temp air

Your w/sf r ok (marginally)... tho more would be even better, c'est la vie.

But why MH for bloom?
MH tends towards the blue / 435nm~475nm spectrums that r really more suited to veg. HPS has more of the reds & IRs suited for flower (620nm~680nm, 720+nm). If/when u can afford it, get HPS for the bloom room (say, 600w?), and move the MH to the veg room. Save the flouros for cloning/early seedlings.

The soil is:
Peat moss, potting soil and perlite for seedlings in cup size pots. About one week after sprouting I'll transplant into a mix of 2 part peat+perlite, 1 part potting soil, 1 part vermicompost in a 1 littere pot. Then depending on the plants condition and the vegetation time I'll transplanted into a hotter soil consisting of 20% organic matters (different meals and animal manures) and the previous soil. And if needed ill add some more organics from the top little by little.
I also have 2 different organic fertilizer :
Biofish 3-1-2 i might use for veg period and prosimal 0-2-2 that i might use for bloom.
--------------------------------
Seeds are all from same strain but have no idea what strain. This is a learning experience for me. I have better well known seeds but i just wanna be able to learn to keep my plants alive long enough to give me some smokable and then try the good seeds since i only have 10 of em left.

Hope your 'animal manures' are composted?!?
If not, I'd rec just replacing the manures with vermicompost/EWC.
In fact, I might recommend doing that anyway (really depends on the relative quality of the compost).

I might want to add more aeration, too.
Add a total of 1 part Perlite + Vermiculite in a 3:1 ratio... i.e., if 1 part in your mix = 1 gal, then mix 3 quarts Perlite w/ 1 quart Vermiculite & add the combined to your mix.

Alternatively, parboiled rice hulls and/or pumice.

When you say your final / hotter transplant mix is 20% org matter... is that by weight? volume? or ??? Depending on how much of that is meals versus composts, seems kinda hot to me.
What meals specifically?
My short list:
Alfalfa meal
Kelp meal
Crab/Shrimp meal
Blood meal or Hi-N bat guano for veg (maybe)
Fish Bone meal or Hi-P bat/seabird guano for bloom (maybe)

Maybe consider Espoma Bio-Tone Starter Plus and/or Plant-Tone for seedlings ~ veg? Easier if you're just learning/figuring it out.

Liming sources?
Do you know the pH of the runoff of your final mix?
Lots of organic matter tends towards an acidic soil. Might need to raise pH & provide more buffer (calcium). Ag lime, oyster shell flour are the usual sources. Amounts depend on how much you may need to raise pH.

[Avoid dolomitic lime, unless you know you also have Mag defs.]

No re-mineralization? Consider, eg, some Gypsum (calcium; but it is NOT a liming source. Conditions the soil. good stuff.)
Also, some rock dusts/powders... Azomite is good source for micronutes (albeit slow release depending on how finely ground).

Check out the BuildASoil.com site... Clackamas Cootz' soil mix recipe (and nute mix) is laid out, and might help ya with your soil.

BigBozat

I have a question for you guys. Does root growth stop in bloom period ? Why we don't wana transplant during flowering ?

No, the roots wil continue to grow during flower.
It's just that u want to give the plants time to recover from any transplant shock stress that could affect growth (or produce hermies, sex reversal)

stoned-trout

if it smells like fish
Veteran
root growth does slow in flower and you don't wanna mess with roots any more than needed during flower...yeehaw....good luck growing aint hard

BigBozat

root growth does slow in flower and you don't wanna mess with roots any more than needed during flower...yeehaw....good luck growing aint hard

yup.
tho 'slowing', however, is not 'stopping.'
tho, i'm not normally that nuanced, either... yeehaw...
[lol, stoned-trout's enthusiasm is infectious]

Limolax

Suggestion by some of the members of this community made me realize that my soil is too acidic and since I don't have access to any lime. I decided to go with marble cutting waste (MCW) as a liming agent. According to an intresting research pointed out to me by another member ( thx SD ) the appropriate amount is 1.5 to 2 tbs of MCW per gallon of soil.So I'll get the MCW soon. Since each pot has about 4 liters ( around 1 gallon ) of soil in it and the pots have extra space on top. The plan is to add one liter of soil + 2 tbs of MCW. Wish me luck

Scrappy-doo

Gool luck Limolax. What you planning for food? With that vermicompost you're already on your way to a nice organic water only mix. All you need is some compost, blood and bone meal and you'll be set. wont have to worry about burn or measuring out food. And your bud will be awesome.

Limolax

Gool luck Limolax. What you planning for food? With that vermicompost you're already on your way to a nice organic water only mix. All you need is some compost, blood and bone meal and you'll be set. wont have to worry about burn or measuring out food. And your bud will be awesome.
Thanks. I need all the luck I can get ;)
For food I have three options. Using different meals and compost make a hotter soil and repot into that when the time comes. Or using the same material on top of the old soil. Or use liquid organic fertlizer. Biofish 3-1-2 for veg and PROSImar 0-2-2 for bloom.
The last option seems like the easiest and since I have no experiance in mixing soil I might make it too hot or unbalanced and what not. Again I would like to remind you all that my supply is limited so I can't just copy one of the recepies suggested in different guides and article (miss ingredients) thanks again for all the kind support everyone

Limolax

So, 80 watts for roughly 4.3 sf = 18.6w/sf?
Might be enough for cloning, but seems pretty low for vegging plants.

Just wondering: What spectrum(s) flouros r u using?

My general thought: More light! (50w/sf min). Maybe favor cool blues (4000k) and Daylight (5000k+); the 'Warm' / 2700k are ok, but I'd definitely want to add more of the blue spectrums during veg.

Your w/sf r ok (marginally)... tho more would be even better, c'est la vie.

But why MH for bloom?
MH tends towards the blue / 435nm~475nm spectrums that r really more suited to veg. HPS has more of the reds & IRs suited for flower (620nm~680nm, 720+nm). If/when u can afford it, get HPS for the bloom room (say, 600w?), and move the MH to the veg room. Save the flouros for cloning/early seedlings.

Hope your 'animal manures' are composted?!?
If not, I'd rec just replacing the manures with vermicompost/EWC.
In fact, I might recommend doing that anyway (really depends on the relative quality of the compost).

I might want to add more aeration, too.
Add a total of 1 part Perlite + Vermiculite in a 3:1 ratio... i.e., if 1 part in your mix = 1 gal, then mix 3 quarts Perlite w/ 1 quart Vermiculite & add the combined to your mix.

Alternatively, parboiled rice hulls and/or pumice.

When you say your final / hotter transplant mix is 20% org matter... is that by weight? volume? or ??? Depending on how much of that is meals versus composts, seems kinda hot to me.
What meals specifically?
My short list:
Alfalfa meal
Kelp meal
Crab/Shrimp meal
Blood meal or Hi-N bat guano for veg (maybe)
Fish Bone meal or Hi-P bat/seabird guano for bloom (maybe)

Maybe consider Espoma Bio-Tone Starter Plus and/or Plant-Tone for seedlings ~ veg? Easier if you're just learning/figuring it out.

Liming sources?
Do you know the pH of the runoff of your final mix?
Lots of organic matter tends towards an acidic soil. Might need to raise pH & provide more buffer (calcium). Ag lime, oyster shell flour are the usual sources. Amounts depend on how much you may need to raise pH.

[Avoid dolomitic lime, unless you know you also have Mag defs.]

No re-mineralization? Consider, eg, some Gypsum (calcium; but it is NOT a liming source. Conditions the soil. good stuff.)
Also, some rock dusts/powders... Azomite is good source for micronutes (albeit slow release depending on how finely ground).

Check out the BuildASoil.com site... Clackamas Cootz' soil mix recipe (and nute mix) is laid out, and might help ya with your soil.
Thanks for dropping by and all the usefull information.
Three of the lamps are day light and one is warm.
MH because the plan was to go throu seedling phase by flo lamps and then put into "bloom closet" with MH lamp but don't actually switch to 12/12 and continue vegging. Then when they are big enough I'll make the switch. I am first time grower. For now the goal is to get to harvest once. But in the future I'll add another closet. A lot smaller. Just for clones and seedlings using the 4 flo lamps. Move the MH to veg room and get a HPS for the veg room. But for now I am gonna go till harvest with MH. I think it's good for my education. I can see the difference between using MH or HPS in the final product when I switch to HPS.
It's ver nice of you to put the time to mention all those materials and brands but as I explained limited access to supply. No lime, no guano, no oyster, no lime,no epsoma bio tone , etc.
The Ph of my soil is too low and I just got aware of it yesterday. I am working on it as mentioned on my last post above.
Oh and about animal manure. I haven't used any. I just used vermicompost. So I might ditch em and don't use any animal fertlizer at all. Thanks again. CheeeeerZ

BigBozat

Thanks for dropping by and all the usefull information.
Three of the lamps are day light and one is warm.
MH because the plan was to go throu seedling phase by flo lamps and then put into "bloom closet" with MH lamp but don't actually switch to 12/12 and continue vegging. Then when they are big enough I'll make the switch. I am first time grower. For now the goal is to get to harvest once. But in the future I'll add another closet. A lot smaller. Just for clones and seedlings using the 4 flo lamps. Move the MH to veg room and get a HPS for the veg room. But for now I am gonna go till harvest with MH. I think it's good for my education. I can see the difference between using MH or HPS in the final product when I switch to HPS.
It's ver nice of you to put the time to mention all those materials and brands but as I explained limited access to supply. No lime, no guano, no oyster, no lime,no epsoma bio tone , etc.
The Ph of my soil is too low and I just got aware of it yesterday. I am working on it as mentioned on my last post above.
Oh and about animal manure. I haven't used any. I just used vermicompost. So I might ditch em and don't use any animal fertlizer at all. Thanks again. CheeeeerZ

Sorry... I keep forgetting your difficult circumstances in re: getting particular supplies. Treat suggested brand names or particular products as 'food for thought.

You're soaking it all in and learning, and you seem to be on the right track, thinkin' the right thoughts. The long-term room/lighting plan makes sense. Best of luck on your adventures.

Limolax

Sorry... I keep forgetting your difficult circumstances in re: getting particular supplies. Treat suggested brand names or particular products as 'food for thought.

You're soaking it all in and learning, and you seem to be on the right track, thinkin' the right thoughts. The long-term room/lighting plan makes sense. Best of luck on your adventures.
Thanks mate. It sucks that I have limited access to stuff but at the same time it makes it more fun. For instance today I went to get marble cutting waste as liming agent. Ended up with a pice of marble stone. Now it's me and this solid hard rock and not much tools to crush it. Lol

Hi,
I use pulverized lime for my grows. It comes in a 50 pound bag and is only about 5 dollars. Are you sure there isn't a local hardware store near you that sells pulverized lime?

Thanks mate. It sucks that I have limited access to stuff but at the same time it makes it more fun. For instance today I went to get marble cutting waste as liming agent. Ended up with a pice of marble stone. Now it's me and this solid hard rock and not much tools to crush it. Lol

Limolax

Hi,
I use pulverized lime for my grows. It comes in a 50 pound bag and is only about 5 dollars. Are you sure there isn't a local hardware store near you that sells pulverized lime?
No lime at all. Either agricultural lime or dolomitic lime or pulverized or whatever lime. None. So here is what I've been dealing with the last couple of days.

It takes forever too make so little. I don't have the right tool either. Took me 2 hours to grind 2 tbs of material off the freaking stone. Gonna finish tomarrow and add it to some soil and add to the top of the pots.

Can you buy some Azomite rock dust on Amazon? It's quite inexpensive and can provide you with all the trace minerals that lime gives you plus lots more. You can get 2 pounds of Azomite shipped to your house with free shipping on Amazon.
Microbes in the soil feed off trace minerals. The more microbes that are alive in the soil, the more resistance to disease, and the more adaptability of your plants to fluctuations in ph.

Check it out..

http://www.amazon.com/gp/offer-list...2076512&sr=1-1&keywords=azomite&condition=new

No lime at all. Either agricultural lime or dolomitic lime or pulverized or whatever lime. None. So here is what I've been dealing with the last couple of days.
[URL=https://www.icmag.com/ic/picture.php?albumid=60337&pictureid=1439759&thumb=1]View Image[/url]
It takes forever too make so little. I don't have the right tool either. Took me 2 hours to grind 2 tbs of material off the freaking stone. Gonna finish tomarrow and add it to some soil and add to the top of the pots.

Limolax

Can you buy some Azomite rock dust on Amazon? It's quite inexpensive and can provide you with all the trace minerals that lime gives you plus lots more. You can get 2 pounds of Azomite shipped to your house with free shipping on Amazon.
Microbes in the soil feed off trace minerals. The more microbes that are alive in the soil, the more resistance to disease, and the more adaptability of your plants to fluctuations in ph.

Check it out..

http://www.amazon.com/gp/offer-list...2076512&sr=1-1&keywords=azomite&condition=new
Yes. I have access to amazon but i am retarded and trying to crush marble to use instead of lime. I am just joking. The answer is no my friend. No amazon, e bay and such services. They don't deliver here. If I had access to something like amazon.com I would ve bought the lime along with 100 more items that could help me with my grow. CheeerZ

:)LOL I had to ask. Sorry to hear about your troubles with crushing the marble. You probably are going to think my next idea for you is even funnier. Do you have a steep unused overpass or cliff you could bring the chunk of marble to and chuck it off? Maybe onto some train tracks? I don't want to get you in trouble but I bet if you chucked that marble of maybe 30 feet onto a flat surface it would break and give you enough powder. You probably would have to drop it a few times.

Yes. I have access to amazon but i am retarded and trying to crush marble to use instead of lime. I am just joking. The answer is no my friend. No amazon, e bay and such services. They don't deliver here. If I had access to something like amazon.com I would ve bought the lime along with 100 more items that could help me with my grow. CheeerZ

:)LOL I had to ask. Sorry to hear about your troubles with crushing the marble. You probably are going to think my next idea for you is even funnier. Do you have a steep unused overpass or cliff you could bring the chunk of marble to and chuck it off? Maybe onto some train tracks? I don't want to get you in trouble but I bet if you chucked that marble of maybe 30 feet onto a flat surface it would break and give you enough powder. You probably would have to drop it a few times.

LOL i wold love to see that.. walking the dogs and see some guy on a over pass throwing off chunks of marble.. i would get chatting with him though and sure i would walk away witha new friend.. ha ha

so anyway guys why do you want crushed marble? ive never heard that related to growing cannabis so educate me please guys.. im guessing its some organic hippie jazz? which is not my cup of tea but a good mate of mine is right into his organic stuff..

He wants rock dust in his soil. He thinks it will help. It certainly has been proven to help with increasing microbial life. There are microbes that feed off the trace minerals in rock dust. The presence of these microbes in high numbers has been shown to benefit cannabis.:)

LOL i wold love to see that.. walking the dogs and see some guy on a over pass throwing off chunks of marble.. i would get chatting with him though and sure i would walk away witha new friend.. ha ha

so anyway guys why do you want crushed marble? ive never heard that related to growing cannabis so educate me please guys.. im guessing its some organic hippie jazz? which is not my cup of tea but a good mate of mine is right into his organic stuff..