What's new

Newbie tries to grow weed

Limolax

Well since I transplanted my plants drink less or the soil keeps more water or I don't know!! When they were in smaller pots (1 liter) I used to water every 3-4 days. Here are the last a few entries in my watering log. I waterd on 6th, 9th, 13th ( transplanted to 5 liter pot before watering ) and then I watered on 23rd. And trust me the soil was not as dry as before. But I watered anyway. Now 4 days later one of the pots is almost as dry as I normally water but two others are still wet. Even on the surface. So what's up with that? Are my plants drinking less cause their soil is too hot ? Is that a possibility since the edge of the leafes are also yellow and getting dry? What else could it be? My soil is at max 1/3 vermicompost (aimed at 1/4) the rest is Peatmoss, perlite and peat base potting soil. Could that be too hot for plant as old as mine? To be honest one of the plants looks compelitely fine since the beginning. No yellowing of leaf tips at all. Only lost 2 sets of leafes including the cotyledon leaf set. And it looks darker green than the other two. It's pot A. I don't know if I ever referred as them by ABC but they are labeled. A is the one in the front or middle I think in most pictures. And when in smaller pots. It's the first on the left. Generally the one without sick or yellow leafs.
So what you guys think? Any 2 cents or whatever you guys call it you can throw at me? Lol
I just got back from work and smoked some crazy Afghan/Persian strain weed (here in my country you never know what you smoke. Specialy if it's outdoor. You just know its been grown outdoor in mid-east mostly Iran and Afghanistan). So sorry if I rumbled for so long or if nothing makes sense or ... Have a good night every one. CheeeeeeerZ

Scrappy-doo

Generally bro you don't water until they need it. Otherwise you risk suffocating the roots. Not needing to water for 10 days after a transplant is something I like actually.

But on the other hand, did you actually transplant them or did you just add more dirt on top? If all you did was add more dirt on top then it's entirely possible that the new dirt is still wet but underneath, the rootball is dry and the plant is thirsty.

That's why it's always better to actually transplant into new dirt so there is new dirt underneath, on the sides, and on top of the old rootball. Plants can't drink where there's no roots so until it's roots grow up into the new dirt it can't drink from or utilize what's in it.

Limolax

Generally bro you don't water until they need it. Otherwise you risk suffocating the roots. Not needing to water for 10 days after a transplant is something I like actually.

But on the other hand, did you actually transplant them or did you just add more dirt on top? If all you did was add more dirt on top then it's entirely possible that the new dirt is still wet but underneath, the rootball is dry and the plant is thirsty.

That's why it's always better to actually transplant into new dirt so there is new dirt underneath, on the sides, and on top of the old rootball. Plants can't drink where there's no roots so until it's roots grow up into the new dirt it can't drink from or utilize what's in it.
The transplanting was 14 days ago plus watering. Adding soil on top was 4 days ago plus watering. Now soil looks compelitely dry on top and even an inch down on one pot. The two others are still wet. I guess Ill wait for the plants to get a bit droopy and show sighs of thirst. Cause as you explained the wetness of the new soil on top might differ from the old soil on the bottom. By the way I have 9 other seedling coming out of soil. Actually 8 out of 9 sprouted till now. I'll post pictures of them along with the other 3 plants soon.

Limolax

Time for some pictures and update.

Two of my plants have damaged leafs. And some yellowing of leaf tips on their bottom branches but the overal look of the plant is Ok.

Continues...

Limolax

Here are the damaged leafs:

In the right picture you can also see the yellowed dried leaf tip on a higer healthier greener leaf on the right top corner of the pic. I am gonna water in a few hours and see how they do in the next a few days. CheeeerZ all

BigBozat

Here are the damaged leafs:
[URL=https://www.icmag.com/ic/picture.php?albumid=60337&pictureid=1445306&thumb=1]View Image[/url] [URL=https://www.icmag.com/ic/picture.php?albumid=60337&pictureid=1445307&thumb=1]View Image[/url]
In the right picture you can also see the yellowed dried leaf tip on a higer healthier greener leaf on the right top corner of the pic. I am gonna water in a few hours and see how they do in the next a few days. CheeeerZ all

Lim -

Good work to date with the tools you have available.
Your plants look reasonably fine, to me.

The damaged leaves, I'd just pluck at this point... they're just energy sinks at this point/costing plant energy/resources for no real benefit (but increased risk from herbivores & pathogens).

Onward...

Limolax

Hi everyone. Thanks for the input. Well I am moving to a new home soon. It's a house actually with a yard. And a back yard ;) so I might put a few plants out in the ground. So here is the plan. I'll convert one of the bedrooms to grow room to continue my grow project in more space. And I have the option of growing a few plants outdoor. I know it might be a bit late for this season but late is better than never. So I ll continue my indoor grow as planed and if I can I will plant some outdoor. So I am not gonna finish building the bloom closet. I'll move in 3 weeks approximately. Maybe even sooner

Limolax

Lots of news. I decided to top one of the plants for two reasons. First, to see the diffrence between topped and untoped plants by comparin them. Next, I wana practice cloning. I just cut the top part of the plant. 2 compelite sets of leafs plus the new growth on top. Removed the 2 lower leafs compelitely. I'll take pictures soon and post. I am trying water cloning to see how it goes. Just a cup of watered covered by a small pot put backwards and using the pot holes as place for cutting to fit right in. Since I only have one for now I covered the rest with tape. So not much light goes in. And I put it further a way from the lamp comparing to my new seedlings. I haven't used any rooting gel or hormone. There are some in the market. I don't know wich one works best with water cloning and planting into soil right away. But if I fail this time I'll use some rooting product. And if I fail again I'll use a different cloning method. Water cloning seemed the simplest and cheapest. I know it's not the fastest. But maybe I add an aquarium pump to my stuff and try bubble cloning next. Hopefully it all works as planed ;) wish me luck. CheeeeerZ

BigBozat

I haven't used any rooting gel or hormone. There are some in the market. I don't know wich one works best with water cloning and planting into soil right away. But if I fail this time I'll use some rooting product.

Since you're doing water cloning, look for liquid concentrates that have indole-3-butyric acid (IBA) and/or 1-Naphthaleneacetic acid (NAA)... like Wood's, or Hormex.
Some folks also include a vitamin B-1 boost, too.

Olivia’s would be a 2nd tier option (in my experience; YMMV).

A more organic approach would be willow bark + willow 'tips' tea. The bark has salicin, a cousin of salicylic acid, which induces a systemic immune response that helps the clone resist stress, and the growing tips have IBA, which as mentioned induces rooting (which is why it's in commercial preparations).

Avoid gels, powders. They're more meant for planting straight into a medium.
(Unless, of course, you decide to defer the rooting hormones until planting, in which case go gel-based, imo)

Limolax

Since you're doing water cloning, look for liquid concentrates that have indole-3-butyric acid (IBA) and/or 1-Naphthaleneacetic acid (NAA)... like Wood's, or Hormex.
Some folks also include a vitamin B-1 boost, too.

Olivia’s would be a 2nd tier option (in my experience; YMMV).

A more organic approach would be willow bark + willow 'tips' tea. The bark has salicin, a cousin of salicylic acid, which induces a systemic immune response that helps the clone resist stress, and the growing tips haqve IBA, which as mentioned induces rooting (which is why it's in commercial preparations).

Avoid gels, powders. They're more meant for planting straight into a medium.
(Unless, of course, you decide to defer the rooting hormones until planting, in which case go gel-based, imo)
Thanks a lot for all the usefull info mate. I have no prior experiance in cloning. So i need all the advice i can get. Water cloning seemed aimple enough. So ill give it a try. Which cloning method is your favorite ? Why? What cloning method is the fastest to root?
CheeeeerZ

areo cloner heres a link to a youtube vid on make your own.. the guys voice is painful i couldnt watch it but you could probaly even mute it and understand it still..

sorry mate in a rush or i would of sourced some better links on aero cloners.. but there just amazing.... you can pay minimal attention to them and have mops of roots hanging off plants... ph it down to 5.5 - 6.
works a treat..

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hI6VTQDUhPk

Limolax

Time for picture update. My plants are around 9 weeks old now. But unfortunately been under flourecent lamps all thier life. So here is a picture of whats going on the veg room.

Plant B on the bottum left. A on the top left. And plant B is on the top right.
Plant B has been toped like a week ago. I can see the fast growth on the top two branches. Here is a closer picture.

The toped part, i am trying to clone with water cloning. Seemed very simple and cheap to me. I hope it works. My cloner is basically a glass of water covered with a backward pot. The pot holes can be clone holder. Since i only have one cutting, i covered the rest with tape. Here are pictures of it.

Also close up picture of 9 seedlings.

I know one slot is empty and another slot has 2 seedlings. What can i say. I am a pot head. I ended up adding the soil in the slot with no sedd to the top of other 8. Thats all i guess. CheeeeeerZ

Limolax

Hi again. My clone does not look too good. It's starting to get black by the center and I don't see any sign of rooting. The plant that I toped has grown lots of branches old enough to clone. My two other plants are not growing as fast but they look healthy. By the way Ill be moving to a new place in 5 days. More space at the new place and a small garden :woohoo: so lots of possibilities.
Gonna get back to packing and measuring things. CheeerZ

hey limolax.. great to hear about your new place and garden.. will be good for you..

i wouldnt stress to much about the cutting.. get to the new place set everything up then worry about it..

but if the stem is turning black or like roting.. snip it about the black bit and put it back into your soil mix..

phosphorus is good for new roots.

Limolax

Well. Time for update. The good news is that I moved and settled into the new place. The bad news is my plants are not well. I don't have the closet ready for them to grow inside yet. I have a carpenter coming in the next couple of days to take care of the partitioning and installing fans. So for now I have sun light for my plants. But it's huge change for my plants. From in apartment with around 22 degree Celsius and no wind and only 80 watts of flourecent light to almost 40 degree very windy and very very bright sun light. I tried to introduce them to sunlight gradually and slowly. Two things we very important for me. One, the light cycle. It was 20-4 before (when they were in the closet). But the day light is around 15-16 hours outside this time of the season. So I started to decrease the light by half an hour every a few days. Last day in the closet before moving the light cycle was 18-6 and during the last few days I got it to around 16 slowly every 2 days or so by moving the plants inside and putting them under light for an extra hour or two. So I think they are ready to go just with the sunlight outside. The second important thing was the fact that my plants had never seen sunlight. Specialy direct sunlight and the heat. For the first few days I had the plants inside where it's cool and a bit humid and had them by the window. Gradually I moved them outside but in the shades. No direct sunlight untill today. I put them outside at around 6 am. They had direct sunlight from let's say 10 am to 2 pm. Two look fine but plant B has burned or dehydrated badly. Some of the big fan leafs got curled and withered. I moved them all into shade as soon as I noticed and sprayed them with water every hour to cool them down. But the damage was unfortunately done. My plan is to plant them into the ground eventually. I am trying to make a space for them. I got some work to do. Got a Samoyed dog that loves digging the garden. Need some fence around some of it to restrict her from accessing my weed. So it's a work in progress. Also gonna convert my closet into grow rooms again soon. I will take some pictures soon.
The 9 seedlings are alive but have out grown their pots and don't look that impressive. Gonna replant them today into bigger pots.
Regardless to say I throw the cutting out. It was hard to move it. I am gonna try cloning again as soon as I get the veg closet ready. CheeeeeeeeeerZ

Limolax

Finally took some pictures today.
Here are the three plants. Plant A looks good. C looks ok. But B (far left) is in very bad shape.

Here is a close up picture of the sick plant. I was inspecting it for pest with a 25X magnifying glass. But couldn't find anything that looks like a living thing or insect or larvae or egg or etc. I should also add that I have no prior experiance looking at mites or other pests. So I might've missed them or there aren't very many.

One of the 9 seedlings died. So there are 8 currently. Here is a picture taken a few hours after repotting and watering.

heady blunts

prescription blunts
Veteran
hmm looks like a watering issue to me. does the pot feel heavy on the bottom couple inches but the top few inches of soil feels dry?

Limolax

Well it is very dry in the surface but kinda wet an inch deep. I water them once everyb5 to 7 days. I am pretty sure it's not over watering. Cause except the last time the two previous watering was done when the plants were very thirsty and kind droopy.