What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

New Virus in town Growers!! HpLVd: Hop Latent Viroid

kalopatchkid

Veteran
I didnt start the thread, but thats the thread Im speaking of, and I lifted Browntrouts photos, as I didnt take photos of ours.
I came up with the idea that its a Phytoplasma. Plytoplasma was first detected n marijuana in Iran, in the late 60s, and was predicted to spread worldwide, and it looks like it has. It is primarily spread by Leafhoppers. And Ky is on a major migration route from South Carolina, to lower Michigan. And we have nothined there are way more leafhoppers now, than there were 10 years ago.

We've been talking about this issue here on IC a few years before that THCfarmer thread was started. You'll notice I brought up phytoplasmas on the first page, but to date no one has ever actually confirmed that as being the cause of the discolored new growth. The only confirmed phytoplasma infections in cannabis look much different.
https://www.icmag.com/threads/help-identify-black-death-in-hawaii.323206/

beta

Veteran
Viroids are not viruses, they aren't even 'virus-like' as their name suggests. They are a completely novel type of organism that does not behave like a virus.

Loc Dog

Hobbies include "drinkin', smokin' weed, and all k
Veteran
I dont know if the disease we have been battling in East Kentucky, for almost 10 years is HLV or not, but from the photos Ive seen of the hop virus, it doesnt look the same as what we have.

What we have usually doesnt show up, until they first start to flower, or just before.

The growing tips at first get purple/black streakes, and then it takes over the growing tips, and can spread to the stalk. It also makes the leaves of the growing tips distorted, and 80%-90% of the times its fatal.

We believe it is some kind of Phytoplasma, transferred from Leafhoppers. We have literally lost 1000s of plants to this in the past 10 years. Weve been growing weed since the late 70s, and never have seen this type of disease.

It also happens regardless if we plant in containers of Promix BX, or straight into the soil, and gardens 20 miles apart. And we use the same strains indoors, and it NEVER happens.

Ive posted this on a few forums over the last 4 years, and everyone from Hawaii, to South Africa have noted this destruction. Sometimes they do grow out of it, but thats not par for the course. Par for the course is necrosis.

View attachment 18818097

View attachment 18818098

View attachment 18818099

View attachment 18818100

From MyNameStitch guide sticky in Infirmary

Picture of Phosphorus being locked out from cooler temps.

phosphorusdef.JPG

Hammerhead

Disabled Farmer
ICMag Donor
Veteran
The original Hdlvp thread

led05

Chasing The Present
Its not temp or nutrient related as a bunch of us Hawaii growers experienced it and low temp's are definitely not an issue here.
I’ve talked to a few HI about this actually and agree with you, but it definitely has a P deficiency vibe / appearance to it too… in person I’ve seen the jet black like almost slime appear here on some species fruit & veggies, cannabis leafs too… probably another lucky China transplant, perhaps hoped a ride on the stink bugs BMSB… This past year was worst ever for new viral, fungal pressures on my tiny neighborhood farm - nearly 6,000 miles away here in upstate NY

Last edited:

led05

Chasing The Present
Viroids are not viruses, they aren't even 'virus-like' as their name suggests. They are a completely novel type of organism that does not behave like a virus.
You think viroids are new in hops, etc, or been @ long time & just more knowledge to identify & create a profit stream off, I believe a bit both… is it the virus, viroids or the carriers…. We should be focused upon?

anyone know nearly 90% hops in all USA used to be grown in the great state of NY, what happened… ?

What nearly killed off wine vines in France late 1800’s… ?

Are we the primary carriers today…? Thrips?

Last edited:

kalopatchkid

Veteran
I’ve talked to a few HI about this actually and agree with you, but it definitely has a P deficiency vibe / appearance to it too… in person I’ve seen the jet black like almost slime appear here on some species fruit & veggies, cannabis leafs too… probably another lucky China transplant, perhaps hoped a ride on the stink bugs BMSB… This past year was worst ever for new viral, fungal pressures on my tiny neighborhood farm - nearly 6,000 miles away here in upstate NY
someone just needs to pony up the money and send a sample to a plant pathologist instead of all this speculating. Like I said, confirmed phytoplasma in cannabis looks quite dramatic compared to mild purpling of new growth. Someone on reddit claims to have tested their plants with similar symptoms and it came back as partially positive for Beet Curly Top Virus but the confidence was not very high.

Loc Dog

Hobbies include "drinkin', smokin' weed, and all k
Veteran
Was on anther thread regarding tissue culture which is supposed to be the way to save genetics from all pathogens. Growing tips are pure and have no mold or viruses. It involves agar and flow hood work. Many that grew mushrooms probably have what is involved if they worked with agar. Basically making sure everything steriile and putting minute pieces of plant on the agar with nutrients and waiting for it to grow. Some sellers claim their mothers are from tissue culture, but so many scammers and no way to tell if what you get is real. Would be nice if they could do DNA test like they do for dogs.

Last edited:

led05

Chasing The Present
Was on anther thread regarding tissue culture which is supposed to be the way to save genetics from all pathogens. Growing tips are pure and have no mold or viruses. It involves agar and flow hood work. Many that grew mushrooms probably have what is involved if they worked with agar. Basically making sure everything steriile and putting minute pieces of plant on the agar with nutrients and waiting for it to grow. Some sellers claim there mothers are from tissue culture, but so many scammers and no way to tell if what you get is real. Would be nice if they could do DNA test like they do for dogs.
So pump your plant with N, Ca - make it happy take tip cuttings bf node, 9/10 times you’re out ahead just like TC…avoiding all the noise & costs

I write too vaguely often in hurry, hope this clear

RobertFripp

someone just needs to pony up the money and send a sample to a plant pathologist instead of all this speculating. Like I said, confirmed phytoplasma in cannabis looks quite dramatic compared to mild purpling of new growth. Someone on reddit claims to have tested their plants with similar symptoms and it came back as partially positive for Beet Curly Top Virus but the confidence was not very high.
It goes way beyond mild purpling of new growth. The whole plant can turn black, and gnarly. It just starts in the tips, and spreads all over the plant.
We would send in a sample of this, if it wasnt for being in a state that they will fry you for weed, no less sending it through the mail.
Duke Diamond told us a place to send samples, but we cant chance sending weed through the mail, plus we dont know what the lab would think about receiving a sample from an illegal state.

Also the symptoms of Curly Top Leaf Virus doesnt match the Purple/Black that we observe, and CTBV starts at the Base of the leaves. What we have starts at the growing tips, and exhibit no yellowing of the leaves.

Curly Top Beet Virus
Infected plants display initially fading leaf color to pale green, starting at the leaf base and expanding toward the tips, producing a yellow-green mosaic pattern. Within 10 days, the symptoms spread to the entire plant. In plants with advanced symptoms, newly developing leaves were pale green, narrower, and curled sideways, leading to a stunted, curled plant. Infection was observed in several different hemp cultivars at different developmental stages, from the vegetative to the flowering stages.

https://tumigenomics.com

Pathogen Prevention Intelligence

At TUMI Genomics we help growers maximize yields through understanding and controlling cannabis pathogens. We provide comprehensive, data-driven programs that promote disease protection through guidance, organizational tracking and scientific innovation.
TUMI Genomics helps growers start clean and stay clean.

TUMI Genomics provides industry-leading pathogen detection and mitigation solutions that safeguard plant health and improve your bottom-line. Our goal is to raise the bar in the cannabis industry through rigorous science, transparency and innovation.

Last edited:

Cerathule

They've been tested lol.. After 55 years I see no need to buy into the paranoia. Its jsut another means to make $ off cannabis. No virus was ever an issue until all the chads got mixed in.
Once you start reading up on the subject you realize viruses accompany all lifeforms, they are extremely hard to track, identify, confirm and once in a while just a new one emerges from cross-reacting / horizontal gene transfer.

There's not even all viruses known by now so it's downright impossible to test all of them. Then some tests even come back false-negative.

No, you gotta tell the truth to inform people, it has zero to do with money. Keeping people stupid and uninformed is what they want to better exploit us.

RobertFripp

We never had this purple black whatever it is since we started growing in the late 70s. I actually grew my first plant in 1972. Now every crop since 2012 has been affected. Weve literally lost 1000s of plants to it. Its strange also in the way that some plants get it, and some dont. You can have a plant right next to it, unaffected. And it never happens using the same clones, or seeds inside. And its happened to no less than 30 strains.

Last edited:

Hammerhead

Disabled Farmer
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Once you start reading up on the subject you realize viruses accompany all lifeforms, they are extremely hard to track, identify, confirm and once in a while just a new one emerges from cross-reacting / horizontal gene transfer.

There's not even all viruses known by now so it's downright impossible to test all of them. Then some tests even come back false-negative.

No, you gotta tell the truth to inform people, it has zero to do with money. Keeping people stupid and uninformed is what they want to better exploit us.

There's only 1 virus the cannabis community is worried about, HpLVd.. This virus was spread from unhealthy plants by Chad growers that exploit the plant for $$ ..

bigtacofarmer

Veteran
I’ve been using Physan 20 over a decade to treat everything that comes in here, I dunk shit below surface a few minutes, rootballs all way to top plant… not sure how much embedded virus it kills but it does manage many other things this way, & some virus too - Anyone whom grows orchids likely knows about Physan… It’s a great GH surface cleaner & disinfectant as well and cheap for a gallon which lasts a very long time as usage rates are less than an oz / gallon

virus is of course nothing new to cannabis nor any species plants; hops virus been @ long time… don’t forget y’all virus can travel within seeds too…

Peace
Hopefully you are showing anyone who consumes your product the warning label on that physan 20. And giving them a fair opportunity to choose for themselves if they want anything to do with it.

El Pollo Diablo

Veteran
Was on anther thread regarding tissue culture which is supposed to be the way to save genetics from all pathogens. Growing tips are pure and have no mold or viruses. It involves agar and flow hood work. Many that grew mushrooms probably have what is involved if they worked with agar. Basically making sure everything steriile and putting minute pieces of plant on the agar with nutrients and waiting for it to grow. Some sellers claim their mothers are from tissue culture, but so many scammers and no way to tell if what you get is real. Would be nice if they could do DNA test like they do for dogs.
Second that!

Putting new genetics into quarantine first + Tissue Culture is the best way to go from now on

beta

Veteran
There's only 1 virus the cannabis community is worried about, HpLVd.. This virus was spread from unhealthy plants by Chad growers that exploit the plant for $$ ..
Again, it's a viroid and not a virus. Viroids are completely unrelated to viruses.

Hammerhead

Disabled Farmer
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Again, it's a viroid and not a virus. Viroids are completely unrelated to viruses.

Using Virus is a general term most understand. I'm fully aware of what HpLVd is. If you prefer I could use pathogen/disease instead lol..

beta

Veteran
Using Virus is a general term most understand. I'm fully aware of what HpLVd is. If you prefer I could use pathogen/disease instead lol..
It's an important distinction because viroids are nothing like viruses and do not behave like viruses. If we keep calling it a virus people are going to treat it like a virus, which it is not.

Hammerhead

Disabled Farmer
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Maybe those doing research but for most of us growers, we can't do anything to cure it using any means at our disposal whether we call it a virus or a pathogen lol. There is no cure for plants infected with HpLVd. Tissue culture isn't something most have access to. The best treatment is to trash all the plants and start over with seeds. Stop buying untested clones to re infect your stock. People would rather argue about trivial nonsense lol. It isn't something I worry about in my garden.

Last edited: