What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

New Virus in town Growers!! HpLVd: Hop Latent Viroid

Loc Dog

Hobbies include "drinkin', smokin' weed, and all k
Veteran
Great information mate,
How do you envision to get the HOCL into ALL plant cells though?
Viroids, like viruses don't have a metabolism which seems to be necessary to get the stuff to kill a pathogen like a bacterium? Just dunking cuts will be useless... the viroid will prevail inside the tissue I assume as it's not going into all cells? I imagine it would have to be fed into the phloem or xylem in order to be distributed throughout the plant?
Other than that I've read on another thread here that hop latent virus is also in seeds from infected plants and only chance to save a mom would be to take a cut from the fastest growing shoots as the plant can technically outrun the virus in fresh shoots, where the viroid takes a bit of time to catch up and spread to those fast growing tips. But not an expert whatsoever, all anecdotal.
Best
CC
That is issue. Powdery Mildew, and Botrytis are surface. Fusarium and pythium are internal. Usually roots prevent them from getting in, but a clone has a gaping hole inviting them. Not sure what can treat them through that hole. Tried TC'ing some and put in 10% household bleach for 10 minutes in stirrer, and major fusarium 3 days later.

Any plant is feasibly salvageable, through apical meristem tissue culture. It is done with very top of plant, then dissected under microscope, in sterile environment, removing leaves till a piece the size of a deer tick is left. Problem with that method is it takes 6 to 12 months to grow out to a normal size clone. Only good thing is at one point it can be chopped up to create dozens of plants, instead of just one. To do cheap is probably a grand in equipment. To do right about $2K.

Loc Dog

Hobbies include "drinkin', smokin' weed, and all k
Veteran
Chat GPT says that 1 percent household bleach in water is hypochlorous acid.

Preparation of Hypochlorous Acid Solution:

• Use commercially available sodium hypochlorite (bleach) as a source of hypochlorous acid.
  • Dilute the bleach with sterile water to achieve the desired concentration of hypochlorous acid. Common concentrations used in tissue culture range from 0.1% to 1%.
  • Prepare the solution just before use to ensure its effectiveness.

• Use commercially available sodium hypochlorite (bleach) as a source of hypochlorous acid.
  • Dilute the bleach with sterile water to achieve the desired concentration of hypochlorous acid. Common concentrations used in tissue culture range from 0.1% to 1%.
  • Prepare the solution just before use to ensure its effectiven
  • Chat GPT says that 1 percent household bleach in water is hypochlorous acid.

pare the solution just before

household bleach is sodium hypochlorite (NaClO)
not the same as hypochlorous acid ( HClO)

gmanwho

Veteran
Alcohol would kill it once in beer, and heat would also.
One would think. But apparently it is not true. I have heard multiple speakers or read articles that state Rubbing Alcohol 70%+ will only spread it an not kill it. And the easiest best sterilization technique for outside the plant for the average person is chlorine.

If you reread my statement, just to clarify the term "post" means after.

The Double dry hop technique (or similar) is after sterilization or the cooking of the mash hop mixture. after the beer malt and grains hops sugars have been heated to sterilize, it is then cooled and yeast is added to start the ferment process. The viroid should be killed then, Yes. but,

After the fermenting process the beer is then run thru fresh or dried hops AGAIN, before it is canned. So that last process just reintroduce fresh unsterilized hops in the beer

Dry hopping is used for both adding dry or fresh hops post fermenting.

the ddh process is something like a cylinder is packed full of FRESH or frozen hops, or dried hops.
Then the beer is run thru that cylinder.
The hops in the cylinder are usually replaced and the beer is ran thru again, and possibly a 3rd time.
Each time getting a newly refreshed cylinder full of hops. this is where the term double dry hopped or triple dry hopped comes in, in short DDH is often used.

We all know TMV can come from dried tobacco leaf in a cigarette. Willing to bet this is no different. Viroids are not as easily killed off as bacteria or fungi or yeast.

This is where i am speaking of, the last process before canning or bottling. This is possibly where im referring to as it re enters the environment. DDH beer then Canned, then spread across the country and or world spreading hlvd.

All the scientists are thinking its coming from a live hop plant in someones garden, its coming into the environment from multiple sources. just as a cigarette can carry TMV onto the hand of the gardener, then into the environment.

I am also wondering, can us humans now can carry this viroid in us. It is possible, but not proven yet. Did you know that it is said that 5-6% of humans dna have been altered by viruses.

I have not heard that anyone has tested for HLVD in can of ddh beer. Or i mean multiple cans over time. not just one test and done.

Think about how may potential canna growers that have beers while they are working on plants. I know i have.

I do not think this should be ruled out as of now.

Last edited:

led05

Chasing The Present
Someone mentioned it and I have it, but can not find any information on using it. What concentration, for how long, how applied? When I tried salvaging the infected TC explants, one of the soaks I used some, bit if not right concentration and time, will either do little to nothing or kill explant. Will read that article later, just got up.
Very hard to hurt things with it, it’s very gentle. but @250ppm it’ll kill pretty much everything within a minute soak, I could see it even saturating into a seed soak (24hrs +) & perhaps killing virus, I’m not sure on that, Been experimenting…

I’ve hit plants with 500ppm and they were fine too…

I wouldn’t water with them continuously like that though, but if keeping a reservoir clean or water lines clean 5ppm would suffice and I found AG studies showing that amount of free Cl doesn’t harm plants at all over time…

I use it to clean my bathrooms, disinfect cuts, in my reservoirs, kill fungus on succulents, orchids, on cannabis, has replaced a lot of other products that are far more expensive in my arsenal…

I make one G jugs and it lasts at least a month this way (stability), I make these to 500ppm then dilute as necessary most often

IMG_0088.jpeg

Last edited:

led05

Chasing The Present
Great information mate,
How do you envision to get the HOCL into ALL plant cells though?
Viroids, like viruses don't have a metabolism which seems to be necessary to get the stuff to kill a pathogen like a bacterium? Just dunking cuts will be useless... the viroid will prevail inside the tissue I assume as it's not going into all cells? I imagine it would have to be fed into the phloem or xylem in order to be distributed throughout the plant?
Other than that I've read on another thread here that hop latent virus is also in seeds from infected plants and only chance to save a mom would be to take a cut from the fastest growing shoots as the plant can technically outrun the virus in fresh shoots, where the viroid takes a bit of time to catch up and spread to those fast growing tips. But not an expert whatsoever, all anecdotal.
Best
CC
Yup, and when taking fresh cuts feed your plant lots of Ca & N to facilitate this getting out ahead; nothing in life is a complete panacea, but just some tools more valuable than others. The benign nature of HOCL on plants & animals but with it’s amazing ability to kill virus, fungus & bacteria makes it special in my book

mcattak

imagine a nutrient company taking the industry by storm all because they could walk into any facility with hplv and throw hypochlorous in the reservoir....athena

Desert Dan

Veteran
imagine a nutrient company taking the industry by storm all because they could walk into any facility with hplv and throw hypochlorous in the reservoir....athena
I’ve heard of people running a low ppm solution of bleach in a hydro res… Would be interesting to see what effect it would have on hot (hplvd) plants?

15-20% solution to sanitize tools and surfaces. I’m sure that would fry the most resilient plant.

-DD

Drop That Sound

Would using those o2 emitters that break down the water through electrolysis into HHO also create a nutrient reaction and produce small quantities of hypochlorous acid to be present in the res?

Latest posts

Latest posts