What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

New Virus in town Growers!! HpLVd: Hop Latent Viroid

Frosty Nuggets

ICMag Donor
Viruses do not exist, what are called a virus is nothing more than the left overs from damaged cells after treatment to view under an electron microscope.

beta

Veteran
Published last week, some really incredible info in here:

Hop Latent Viroid: A Hidden Threat to the Cannabis Industry

beta

Veteran

Loc Dog

Hobbies include "drinkin', smokin' weed, and all k
Veteran
Published last week, some really incredible info in here:

Hop Latent Viroid: A Hidden Threat to the Cannabis Industry
Anyone know of inexpensive lab that tests via mail?? I have seen test kits that are several hundred dollars that do 500 samples.

beta

Veteran
Anyone know of inexpensive lab that tests via mail?? I have seen test kits that are several hundred dollars that do 500 samples.
I'm pretty sure that's what this is:

RobertFripp

I dont know if the disease we have been battling in East Kentucky, for almost 10 years is HLV or not, but from the photos Ive seen of the hop virus, it doesnt look the same as what we have.

What we have usually doesnt show up, until they first start to flower, or just before.

The growing tips at first get purple/black streakes, and then it takes over the growing tips, and can spread to the stalk. It also makes the leaves of the growing tips distorted, and 80%-90% of the times its fatal.

We believe it is some kind of Phytoplasma, transferred from Leafhoppers. We have literally lost 1000s of plants to this in the past 10 years. Weve been growing weed since the late 70s, and never have seen this type of disease.

It also happens regardless if we plant in containers of Promix BX, or straight into the soil, and gardens 20 miles apart. And we use the same strains indoors, and it NEVER happens.

Ive posted this on a few forums over the last 4 years, and everyone from Hawaii, to South Africa have noted this destruction. Sometimes they do grow out of it, but thats not par for the course. Par for the course is necrosis.

1678459979812.png

1678460006829.png

1678460061438.png

1678460336756.png

Attachments

• 1678460439272.png
    1678460439272.png
    804.7 KB · Views: 40

beta

Veteran
I dont know if the disease we have been battling in East Kentucky, for almost 10 years is HLV or not, but from the photos Ive seen of the hop virus, it doesnt look the same as what we have.

What we have usually doesnt show up, until they first start to flower, or just before.

The growing tips at first get purple/black streakes, and then it takes over the growing tips, and can spread to the stalk. It also makes the leaves of the growing tips distorted, and 80%-90% of the times its fatal.

We believe it is some kind of Phytoplasma, transferred from Leafhoppers. We have literally lost 1000s of plants to this in the past 10 years. Weve been growing weed since the late 70s, and never have seen this type of disease.

It also happens regardless if we plant in containers of Promix BX, or straight into the soil, and gardens 20 miles apart. And we use the same strains indoors, and it NEVER happens.

Ive posted this on a few forums over the last 4 years, and everyone from Hawaii, to South Africa have noted this destruction. Sometimes they do grow out of it, but thats not par for the course. Par for the course is necrosis.

View attachment 18818097

View attachment 18818098

View attachment 18818099

View attachment 18818100

That's definitely something else, I saw a thread on that disease over on thcfarmer:

RobertFripp

I didnt start the thread, but thats the thread Im speaking of, and I lifted Browntrouts photos, as I didnt take photos of ours.
I came up with the idea that its a Phytoplasma. Plytoplasma was first detected n marijuana in Iran, in the late 60s, and was predicted to spread worldwide, and it looks like it has. It is primarily spread by Leafhoppers. And Ky is on a major migration route from South Carolina, to lower Michigan. And we have nothined there are way more leafhoppers now, than there were 10 years ago.

Last edited:

led05

Chasing The Present
Has anyone treated cuts with Physan 20, or added to feed, maybe just at beginning of growth, or maybe after some roots have established?
I’ve been using Physan 20 over a decade to treat everything that comes in here, I dunk shit below surface a few minutes, rootballs all way to top plant… not sure how much embedded virus it kills but it does manage many other things this way, & some virus too - Anyone whom grows orchids likely knows about Physan… It’s a great GH surface cleaner & disinfectant as well and cheap for a gallon which lasts a very long time as usage rates are less than an oz / gallon

virus is of course nothing new to cannabis nor any species plants; hops virus been @ long time… don’t forget y’all virus can travel within seeds too…

Peace

dramamine

I’ve been using Physan 20 over a decade to treat everything that comes in here, I dunk shit below surface a few minutes, rootballs all way to top plant… not sure how much embedded virus it kills but it does manage many other things this way, & some virus too - Anyone whom grows orchids likely knows about Physan… It’s a great GH surface cleaner & disinfectant as well and cheap for a gallon which lasts a very long time as usage rates are less than an oz / gallon

virus is of course nothing new to cannabis nor any species plants; hops virus been @ long time… don’t forget y’all virus can travel within seeds too…

Peace
What strength do you use the Physan this way for direct plant contact/rootzone treatment? Thanks.

led05

Chasing The Present
What strength do you use the Physan this way for direct plant contact/rootzone treatment? Thanks.

58101842-C105-4627-8382-C4AFD430D8EE.jpeg

A207CFD7-11EC-4856-8358-DDB2BB2C0B6F.jpeg

Anywhere from 10-15ml / gallon I do
BE849292-1BFD-4206-885D-8C43CF08E2D0.jpeg

Works identical the day I bought it, stuff stores well

Fear marketing is powerful & profitable, hard to imagine Hop Virus hasn’t been @ 50 years or more; all a sudden…..

Nothing better at preventing virus than healthy plants & clean environments

Peace & GL to those afflicted

Hammerhead

Disabled Farmer
ICMag Donor
Veteran
It can be in Seeds as well

I've grown thousands of plants from seeds and clones.. Never had Hplvd or any virus in my garden !!.. If you keep a clean with healthy garden the odds of any virus are minute. If the garden is sloppy/Unhealthy your odds of a virus are good. The Sale of clones is a dom source of unhealthy plants getting spread IMO. Stop buying clones lol. Hplvd can be present and do no harm until stress and bad health are introduced which triggers the latent RNA.. Transmitting to HOP seeds is at 10% but has never been proven in cannabis seeds from what I've read. This doesn't mean it's not possible with the high transmission rate. Seeds are not the dom source of transmission. The viroid itself is extremely unstable in the environment due to it not having any lipid capsid, thus it is unlikely to survive on surfaces outside of a host for more than a few hours. Thus making the most probable form of transmission mechanical damage provoked contamination such as pruning many plants with the same pair of scissors, or mechanical contact such as branches or foliage touching or brushing against each other in a tight canopy.

The most important thing in any garden is healthy plants. Growing from seeds will produce plants as good or better than any clone you could buy.

Cerathule

Ofc viruses can be in the seeds, there are actually these forms that specialized in this. How do you know you never had one? You most likely had more than just one, just because a plant isn't symptomatic doesn't mean it's without pathogens. There's a great likelyhood that all Cannabis seeds carry, at least, one virus and the only way to get rid of this is actually TC.

For example:
"Both symptoms and the virus were only shown to be transmitted vertically"

Hammerhead

Disabled Farmer
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Ofc viruses can be in the seeds, there are actually these forms that specialized in this. How do you know you never had one? You most likely had more than just one, just because a plant isn't symptomatic doesn't mean it's without pathogens. There's a great likelyhood that all Cannabis seeds carry, at least, one virus and the only way to get rid of this is actually TC.

For example:
"Both symptoms and the virus were only shown to be transmitted vertically"

They've been tested lol.. After 55 years I see no need to buy into the paranoia. Its jsut another means to make $ off cannabis. No virus was ever an issue until all the chads got mixed in.

Last edited: