What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

New seed stock prices thru the roof!!

southflorida

lives on planet 4:20
Veteran
This is a pure content site, and it is free, Gypsy Nirvana has created an
opportunity for many folks to read the best information about cannabis in
the world without forcing anyone to actually pay

the second step in creating a quality content site is monetization, and his
seedboutique.com site is mostly how he monetizes from this site

this is an exchange of value for value, and in my opinion he has overdelivered
in all ways possible

the question with prices on seeds, there are so many options that everyone
has, if you want to buy a brand new Ferrari, then you have to pay $200K,
or buy a used one

if you do not have the dough, you can buy a Chevi, and it will get you from
point A to point B, it all comes down to assesing current reality

not being happy with certain aspects of current reality, can lead to certain
steps, and as far as seeds, someone already pointed out, you can buy one
pack of SSH seeds for whatever they cost, cross them and grow your
free seeds for years...if you actually count the amount of seeds you can
make, it comes down to pennies per seed once you grow out the plants
and harvest the seeds

then you can even send a few to Gypsy, to cover the expenses of this site,
through those auctions he has now going, and then everyone can be happy

and concerning the breeder whose name can't be written in this thread, well
I think he has made a mistake not cooperating with Gypsy, to be completely
honest, since he has killer beans, and this forum would make him some
serious money, because I am sure many folks would buy his beans from
Gypsy, and again everyone would be happy

win-win is the only way for everyone to come out on top in this world!

southflorida

K

kittykronic

i agree..breeders are about quantity than quality..but has anyone ever had a bad experience with SSH..I honestly never had one problem with MNS..if all of you have such a problem with prices and think they should just be free i will give you my addy and all of you can start off the pay it forward deal right now with me..but let's get real, it's a business and business' cost alot to operate..where would we all go for beans if there where no seedbanks and breeders..we'd be growing mexibrick or whatever else we could get our hands on..it still cost money for that bag of weed just to get some seeds..will they be of SSH quality who knows..i think we would all be sad if we could get no more seeds as easily as we can now.. and be careful what you wish for, sometimes you don't know how good you really have it till it's gone..peace all..

Gypsy Nirvana

Recalcitrant Reprobate -
Administrator
Veteran
Yes.....it is interesting to see all the opinions in this thread.....

Out there are literally millions of people that grow cannabis and every year many of them need new seeds (or clones) to grow a new crop.....a very few growers actually make seeds so most rely upon getting seeds from a trusted source...

As a vendor of seeds for over 10 years now I have had to aquire much of my stock from a multitude of different breeders many of whom have become breeders in the first place because I have supplied them with the genetic material to do this and so they have produced seeds that I then have distributed on their behalf sometimes for free and sometimes for funds......this works out as a win-win situation for the grower, the breeder and myself.....and in turn helps to get more people growing out there...

The price of a pack of seeds varies tremendously depending primarily on what the breeder wants for them and the customer will pay for them........as a vendor I don't usually set the retail prices nor the wholesale price, the breeder/seed company does this and if I try to sell certain breeders seeds for less than they recommend then I am warned by the breeder to adjust them or else that breeder will not be selling me his/her seeds again.....

At times I realize that there has been and still is a HUGE demand for certain popular varieties that far outstrips supply and so my ability to keep them in stock.....

As this site has grown expotentially over the last 5 years it has become increasingly expensive to fund, so recently I thought of starting a fundraiser where-by members could donate to the server fund with seeds that could then be sold thru seedbay......and I am absolutely AMAZED at the response we have been having with lots of seeds sent in by many members virtually every day to help out.......it is a wonderfull way to help keep the site growing and here on the internet and gives the oportunity for many up and coming breeders to show off their work.......I would just like to thank all that have donated so far and encourage anyone else that is thinking of doing it.......every seed helps fuel ICMAG....

Rudedewd

Ok, here's where the old man who walked to school eight miles uphill in both direction chimes in. When I started growing bud there were no seedbanks and there was no internet, the beans I planted were saved from the best stash period. There was no other way for me to get beans. Here it is 30 years later and there are not only seed banks but websites devoted just to growing ganja, how cool is that. Now to get to the nitty gritty and seed prices I think that there are plenty of beans available for reasonable prices that everyone can afford to grow. Now some of you may not be happy with the strains available for the price that you can afford as you lust over what you cannot have but I say tough shit, be happy that you can find seeds that you can afford. It's like cars or bikes, not everyone can afford to ride a Harley or drive a Jag but that is why there are Hondas and Chevys. I know from where I speak, I ride a Yamahaha and I love it, it gets my ass in the wind and bugs in my teeth. Same with weed seeds, you might not be able to afford the upper deck but Nirvana has quite a selection as do other seedbanks. If you want to trade beans and cuts with friends that is a great way to expand your garden but if you want to buy look at what you can afford don't bitch about what you can't. If someone's products are to expensive for your tastes, don't buy them, it seems simple enough to me.

oldpink

Un - Retired,
Administrator
Veteran
let me step in here and explain a bit
the recent increase in prices is mostly due to the exchange rate
most of our stock is bought in euro's and when the exchange changed from €1.45 - £1 to less than €1.10 - £1 it increased the price of the seeds overall

for instance a pack of seeds that were €145 used to cost us £100 now the same €145 pack of seeds cost us almost £140
I hope this explains why the prices have went up pretty sharply

JazzJazz

Thanks Gyspy for your thoughts on this thread. As stated hype,demand and what we will pay for it sets the prices of seeds. This is obvious with some of the new release prices of great seed stock.100 cnd before is now 260 cnd after latest release. I understand how good it is and no disrespect towards the strain or breeder at all, but to me, this says to hell with the growers.If we are to respect the strain and the breeder who developed it then we should be respected when we tell everyone who is deciding on a elite seed purchase how good and top notch you can never go wrong strain that someone is selling
and then have the price skyrocket because of such demand for there product now. I hope this makes sense as i've got a nice lifter on right now..lol.

I think Jones has a legit point on the F2's and I for one would go with the C99 F2's purchase rather than $170 cnd hands down.Of course this may cause quite a stir because most people would take a chance on a keeper in a $30 pack of F2's than take a chance on a $270 pack IMHO.

Thanks everyone for their honest and civil opinion on this subject and it gives us growers a chance to voice our opinions and listen to others on sometimes controversal subjects.
Keep it up brothers and sisters!

Peace,
Jazz

JazzJazz

let me step in here and explain a bit
the recent increase in prices is mostly due to the exchange rate
most of our stock is bought in euro's and when the exchange changed from €1.45 - £1 to less than €1.10 - £1 it increased the price of the seeds overall

for instance a pack of seeds that were €145 used to cost us £100 now the same €145 pack of seeds cost us almost £140
I hope this explains why the prices have went up pretty sharply

Thank you Oldpink for some facts on the subject..I will have to say that the exchange on my cnd dollar IS killing me for sure.

Peace,
Jazz

thekingofNY

Cannasseur
I think the problem with this is... too many people view cannabis seeds the same as tomato and pepper seeds. When they are NOT, even if they do come from a country or area where they are very similar.

I am happy with the current price of seeds? Hell no, But Do i understand it and would i still buy some of those MNS-neville haze if i could afford it? Hell yes i would. I am angry I didn't get the Mango Haze 2 months ago when I could.

Now if places like Mandala, AnnaC, and Nirvana didnt exist, than I could understand you all bitching so much. But there are cheaper alternatives.

Mister Postman

The Plant Pervert
Veteran
The reasons for higher seed prices is pretty obvious IMO.. We're not growing lima beans here people... We're choosing to buy and deal in what is one of the highest cash crops in the world. Just because a few select places on earth have the freedom to grow, use, and sell, doesn't take away from the fact that it's still outlawed by the greater majority of the world. Do to that fact the majority of the bussiness being done is still very much black market bussiness. And Everyone knows that Black markets set their own prices depending on what people are willing to pay to play the game... Because this game is such a lucritive one for most, we will always pay a premium for the equipment we need to play it. Including seeds.. This filters right on down to the hydro shops with their premium priced nutrients, fucking dirt in a bag for $25, and everything else marketed towards alternitive gardening..

They wouldn't set the prices so high, if no one was willing to buy the seeds.. I see seeds available in all price ranges these days.. Just because you may not be able to afford the latest greatest most hyped genetics doesn't mean you can't afford to grow primo Ganja. There are more available in the $25-$50 range these days, then EVER BEFORE... There seems to be something out there for all budgets. Once we see more of a change in the legal status, the cheaper seeds will become IMO.. We'll see many more cheaper mom and pop seed shops opening up in the future.. We see it now already with the huge influx of cali genetics being offered by seed distributors by not 1 but numerous smaller seed firms. Competition will eventually lower prices... Check it out, the last month seedbay has actually been running as I believe it was truely intended.. It's been fueled by us the grower/hobby breeder, and I bet unlike many "breeder releases" these auctions are actually being paid for too. tested or not, no friggen lip auctions.. It just shows that it's possible, and that gypsy nirvana is a friggen genius. I believe we'll see more of this in the future as the times change.. I know I've been buying and supporting it anyway...

Personally I'm willing to pay as high as $150 for a pack of seeds if the genetics are solid.. This is only because in time I've gained the knowledge/skill it takes to make more (which is not all that much LOL). I usaully always get more then my moneys worth from a pack of seeds

love?

Funnily enough if seeds were less expensive I'd probably spend much more money on them.

Strains like SSH, Jack Herer, Destroyer etc sound great but I can't justify paying the prices when I don't even know if I'll like the end product. But if they were cheap I'd just order them all...

Also I think a lot less people would bother keeping moms around if even these "best" strains were cheap and then they'd buy seeds all the time instead of just once.

But I'm quite sure most breeders have thought about stuff like this and have taken them into account when they figure out their prices..

And of course it's not just about the money... Ten cheap seed packs might generate more revenue than one expensive pack but selling one expensive pack is also a lot less work than selling 10 cheap ones.

DocLeaf

procreationist
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Ok, here's where the old man who walked to school eight miles uphill in both direction chimes in. When I started growing bud there were no seedbanks and there was no internet, the beans I planted were saved from the best stash period. There was no other way for me to get beans. Here it is 30 years later and there are not only seed banks but websites devoted just to growing ganja, how cool is that.

We agree :yes: nice post Rudedewd yes:

Some of the finest seeds in circulation today are still FREE as FREEBIES via ICMag! Big up IC :yes: .. like Hazeseeker's 'Cheese x NL#5xHaze' ,,wild like sammy'd ,, flexin' a new kindda movement,, :dance:

peace out :canabis:

Gypsy Nirvana

Recalcitrant Reprobate -
Administrator
Veteran
No Jones....it would'nt make much of a difference at all......quite simply the world needs more seeds....and there never seems to be enough of them...

huh wonder were my post went ..i dont see it here any more ..is this a free speech zone or what ..i find it kinda strange theres no sign of my post .i got a reply email saying it was here ...was it removed for any good reason ...

OghostO

i piss and moan (mostly to myself) about the price of quality genetics and equipment, electricity, water, etc... But in reality there are bargains to be had here even at 150+ per pack. Think about this what would you pay today for an perfectly preserved original breeder pack of c99, Apollo 11 or 13, sugar blossom, grimm white shark, ice princess from Brothers Grimm. I know i would pay a lot more than 150+ if I could find the genuine article. I don't know what these seeds cost 'back in the day' but i am sure there was someone complaining the price no matter how low it was. If all the seedbanks went away due to declining profits I think there would be a lot of complaining about the lack of quality genetics. Think about all of the great breeders who no longer make seeds and remember all of the great strains they sold that many will never get the chance to grow.

swampdank

Pull my finger
Veteran
A cheap seed grown right can be better than an expensive one grown halfassed.

Invest in your skills, the rest will follow.

Z

Zoolander

I think breeders are under paid in the long run and many or them have made my growing better and helped my skills by allowing me to get great genetix :2cents: