What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

New seed stock prices thru the roof!!

JazzJazz

I've noticed that all the new seed stock prices from breeders are now doubled and sometimes tripled the price from previous releases. It seems to me that we as growers talk about how good a breeder is and the stock they carry is out of this world...simply the best shit out there kind of talk...Free advertising right!! Then when new releases come out and we pay threw the ass for this type of pre hype advertisement. I was planning on buying a certain breeders Jack Herer and come to find out it's like 3 hundo's now for 10 seeds. SSH prices going thru the roof. C99 prices the same on new releases. I don't mean to spew off here and i'm not sure if this is the right forum for this but for fuck's sake I will not talk up a strain or breeder anymore only to get shafted for all the nice free advertisements we all do only to get railed on new seed purchases for re-releases.
The one thing i can say is if your going to up the prices 2x to 3x atleast do what Mr Nice does and put in 18 seeds for us ( my personal thought here...do not know the dude ).I understand business and the theory of demand but really.Sorry for the rant grower friends.

Peace,
Jazz

whodair

Veteran
ironically the expensive seeds have had the worst germ rates in my experience. maybe less fresh? also, you are more likely to be dissappointed, cuz expectations can be really high for big dollar beans.

I

Iron_Lion

I've noticed 2009 borught jacked up prices aswell. Im happy I grabbed my SSH seeds when the the pound crashed to the dollar, got them for like 120$, seen the new releases selling for 160$!:yoinks: Also noticed a very popular seed maker recently raised prices aswell.

My preminition tells me this thead will be locked.

hansel

Lost In The Forest
ICMag Donor
I agree. Make some seeds out of the expensive strains.

Happy Growing.

S

sparkjumper

Ordering seeds I've learned recently is a total crap shoot compared to early years of the new millenium.I have had the worst luck ordering seeds recently its fuckin pitiful,and expensive.100 dollar paks of peak 19 that wont germ and from what I hear it was common knowledge before my order.100 paks of quik kali that give one plant and seven mutants.Sensi NL that stretches to 6 ft in height!Black domina that doesnt even get you high.The scene sucks anymore

supersonic

yes the prices are thru the roof..
now some strains are more expensive on internet, than here in local shop over the counter, ie. GHS and Dutch Passion..
now figure that out ...

SuperConductor

Veteran
It's pretty bad for us in the UK, a $55 strain used to be £28 at the start of my last grow but today it's £45! I can't afford to buy from seedbay these days when I used to get one or two packs every weekend.

I

Iron_Lion

I think this is a case of supply and demand, just in the few years I've been growing, I've seen this hobby really take off. The local hydro shops are getting larger, and more and more people seem to be cool with smoking MJ. I dont think the seed prices will ever go back down, can only expect inflation from here on out. I also bet that now that the global economy is in the toilet you'll see more and more people world wide turning to black market ways to make a buck. I also expect that in a few years female seeds will be the best bargain while breeders selling male/female packs will become the rarity and will charge out the @ss for them. This is why Im building my own seed stock of classic strains, so I can make F2's for life and never run out.

barletta

Bandaid
Veteran
$10/seed for the 'must haves' Work down from there. After spending a coupla hundo on MrN, I won't pay more than $10/per.

And yeah, f2 everything. 1 pollen sack will give more seeds than the pack that spawned him...

C

Cinderella99

You know what, B? I find myself agreeing with you about 90% of the time....

Hundo Schmundo... I just now spent slightly over $11 (including ship) for some MRN SSH. Can anyone tell me it's not worth it?

I just hope my ISS that I pulled trigger on yesterday arrives from a shady company...For ISS, it was the only game in town-- I had to gamble if I wanted it. It was a $100 gamble, and if I can believe half the hype, it's prolly worth it since, after all, it is (somewhat) true breeding. So it's important to get a sure shot shipper like the boo.

Product is 2ndary, go to the correct breeder and it's almost always a good purchase.

All of this, of course, is IMHO

T

TroubleGuy

Yeah, you need to spend a small fortune to get some of those strains... Like suggested above, buy them and make your own seeds from them. That's what I'll be doing, for sure. Why toss money at a breeder, risk them being confiscated by customs, and potentially have a shitty germ rate when you can make your own and keep them for years? :smoke:

MobbDeep

One thing that just GETS ON MY LAST NERVEZ is how some breeders and seedbanks charge SO much..its almost a ripoff..for something as small as seeds..sure I udnerstand that they work for years to stabilize strains,yada yada...and the cost of space,lgihts,fertilziers...ok fine..but come on $100+ for SEEDS??? When a single plant produces hundred upon hundreds of seeds...

Thats why I HIGHLY reccomend NIRVANA seeds bought off seed boutique..they the cheapest prices ANYWHERE..Im growing nirvana ak48 right now..very happy..

and as someone mentioned..the reason that the higher price seeds have the lowest germ rates is simply because there isnt as much of a damand..so they get old and less viable as time passes and nonone buys them..look at nirvana seeds..theyr ALWAYS getting sold out..cus EVERYONE buys them..meaning theres a higher demand..meaning theres always fresh stock available..

So the trick to buying seeds is buying the strains that are in heavy demand..and get sold out faster..

for nirvana,theheavy demand ones with 100% germ rates are:

ak48,aurora indica,blue mystic,white rhino,white widow,bublelicous,and some others..but I reccomend either AK48 or WHITE RHINO from nirvana..get em from seed boutique..

C

Cinderella99

Yea, but you know what Mob?

Yea, but you know what Mob?

I know it's a lot of money for a lot of folks, but in a market like this...

It is, however, hard to argue that prices are artificially high since, if they are, others can simply rip off the lines and sell them at a discount. There are no copyright/patent laws -- it's the wild fuc*en West in this biz. So, the hype/ advertising at media outlets (like this site) is the only thing they got to ensure sustained profit...

In a nutshell, as long as there are a number of sites that have unbiased info/ equal advertorial/advertising access, any inflation in seed prices -- in the business-- I think will remain minimal because of the "knock-off" or F2 factor. Better than any other biz, it CAN keep itself in check IMHO:rant::2cents:

Last edited:

I N Hail

Growing Grower AKA Wasted Rock Ranger
Veteran
I also think it might have to do with the fact that US is heading toward legalization
and there will be alot of seeds available right here.
So like any other business's why not get it while you can.

I N Hail

p.s. I know there is alot of seeds here but you know what i mean.

confused

This is taken from an older post of mine. Data is only like two months old.

(61.94, 70.02, 70.02, 85.50, 76.08, 79.99, 31.99, 62.99, 85.99, 85.99, 31.99, 132.60, 77.65, 76.08, 95.99, 95.99, 21.40, 72.99, 47.99, 49.39, 79.99, 49.99, 89.99, 54.99, 49.99, 79.99, 59.99, 85.99, 21.40, 36.83, 55.67, 107.20, 85.53, 53.05, 21.40)

Total Numbers: 35
Mean (Average): 66.988
Standard deviation: 25.51978

^ That is a random selection of 35 standard (no fem, no half packs) seed prices from seedbay/seedboutique. It includes rez, h3ad, nirvana, sensi, paradise, gypsy....

Just worry if you are paying more than 66.98 + 2(25.51) = $118 ... which would be you guys paying $11/seed for SSH. Haha, I guess I just proved your point. Some of these people are greedy, but for the most part you can always find a good strain at a good price.

C

Cinderella99

Ummm... Now I'm confused, but you are a funny one.

For the record: I just read that there are 18 in ea. pack w/the MRN .... So, that would be about $9 per... I say DEAL.

Hope I didn't confuse anybody...Confuse? Are you more confused now?

Ummm... Now I'm confused, but you are a funny one.

For the record: I just read that there are 18 in ea. pack w/the MRN .... So, that would be about $9 per... I say DEAL.

Hope I didn't confuse anybody...Confuse? Are you more confused now?

$8.92/per for the SSH and NH, fresh stock too.

OghostO

I was hoping to make some seed purchases soon but every time i find a strain available that i am interested in the price is through the roof or once i have the money for it its sold out and the breeder has moved on to another project. I guess I'm always a day late and a dollar short.