What's new

New L.E.D. Arrays & LowRyder2

dav zap

Ganja Pasha

Ganja Pasha

Greetings man. I am both impressed and embaressed that you went to the

length to see my old thread attempt. You are thorough. I promise many

good detailed fotos of the whole budding. I'll try to get a scale. That would

be key, eh. Thank-You for your involvement.

Ganja Pasha, when you go to make your LED setup, you must also factor the inverse square law into how many lumens you need your LEDs making.

Light Emitting Diodes create light that travels much like a laser, following the original diffusion of the light. Meaning if the light of your LED array is properly matched to your canopy, you should have little to no loss in light intensity from the LEDs to your canopy.

HID lighting can not make this claim, and as we all know its intensity falls off at a rate of the square of the distance.

VLCMSTN13

Nice grow dav zap, it's been sweet checking out your grows and diffrent led types, arrangments, spectrums and what not.. I'll be sticking around to watch this one finish!

Here's a few pic of my setup with the L.E.D. UFO, I take them out of the cab for pictures...

these are the most recent pics i have, about 25 days flowering

dav zap

VLCMSTN13

VLCMSTN13

WoW! Those are some nice plants you and your UFO have grown. Thanks

for showing us the fotos. Healthy big foliage plants. One would presume

a good harvest from plants like that. Please let us know how it turns out.

This is my first grow with this kit. So I'm rather excited about it. Its the

best I've done. Hope to see you later, or sooner. Thanks for visiting.

G

Cool, I hope you guys realise I'm hoping you can really get some good buds of the LEDs, I don't want to sound negative, I;m just full of questions!

The inverse sqaure law is key to how I grow currently as I use a 250w HPS which has poor light penetration so I grow a modular SCROG type setup to create a flar canopy. For LEDs i would definitely go for a SCROG.

dav zap

Ganja Pasha

Ganja Pasha

Greetings as always dude. I agree with you about scrog for LEDs. I just

don't get my shit together. Definitely would be better.

walmatt23

Dav zap,

Love your LED grows. I share the opinion that LEDs are the future of indoor growing and would like to try my own small LED grow.

I was hoping you could comment on a couple different LEDs I was considering:

1) The CREE XLamp high-power LEDs. They're the same LEDs used in the procyon100, which I believe you are familiar with from reading a few threads.

2) Luxeon stars, specifically the

Luxeon III Red - Lambertian

LUXEON V Blue - Lambertian

One last question- how does viewing angle affect things? Is a more wide angle better?

Thanks,

Matty

dav zap

walmatt23

walmatt23

Hello there man. Thanks for stopping in. I guess you may realize that I

don't assemble electronics. Yes I am familiar with the Procyon, and its a

very good unit. Its more than just the same components, but circuitry as

well. If you're comfortable with that. As for angle of projected light,

intensity seems to me to be an issue, that being said, wide angle spreads

out the light, more coverage but less intensity than a narrow angle which

would keep the light collected - more intensity. My thoughts on the subject.

Thank-You for visiting.

Last edited:
G

I just found a place that has 4w blue 230vac bayonet fitting (British socket) blue LED bulbs for 3.95, I've bought two and I'm going to try using them to illuminate some young seedlins, see if they work. Not sure how many lumens these bulbs put out, I'd say about 400 each as current 5mm LED technology produces about 100 lumens per watt.

I've noticed that there are new high wattage LED bulbs appearing using Cree of Luxeon high power LEDs, but these are very expensive at the moment. The ones with 15 3w LEDs look very interesting, 45w in a single light.