What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

New L.E.D. Arrays & LowRyder2

niggenz

Ganja Pasha said:
I've already used up 10g of solder wire, I reckon I'll go through a few 100gs before I'm done. When I perfect the design of my 5mm LED arrays I'll consider making some for other folks who want to play around with LED lighting.

First post ever! I would like to be on the top of this list.

P

pimpjuice

Ganja Pasha said:
To give folks some perspective and show that LEDs can grow good plants, have a look at the current status of snstealth's Procyon grow, looking pretty good so far:

I'm really looking forward to seeing what he can end up pulling with the procyon, looks like he's doing a seed run with them, I'd love to see a batch of clones go through his space. I'm looking forward to seeing some bigger commercial arrays come out, if the gear gets better I could totally see myself scrog'n plants to work with the technology.

G

SNStealth's grow has been cut and dried and he got a nice harvest, looks like the Procyon does a good job, despite only having two wavelengths. I imagine if you added some UV and 660nm red, you would have a wicked setup, shame the Procyon is 600 bucks. I'm building a 64W array using CREEs the same as the ones in the Procyon buth with some LEDengin 660nm reds and some Luxeon III reds and K2 warm whites added as flowering cannabis needs more than 470 blue and 630 red.

For extra side lighting I've also built 10 60-LED 6W panels from 5mm LEDs, the panels only cost 12 dollars each, 60W of panels should give me some nice supplementary lighting and fatten up the lower buds nicely.

DSCF0030.jpg

DSCF0017.jpg

DSCF0018.jpg

DSCF0019.jpg

DSCF0020.jpg

Beam me up scotty but I just don't see any benefit to doing this and dudes grow only proved that further.

I think somethings in dav's omelette .....
a050.gif
kuku.gif
gummizelle.gif

G

Hiya Barn

The problem with Dav's grow is that he bought poor lights, most of the grow lights being made in China right now, whether the panels or those E27 bulbs Dav has are a complete con, even if they claim to be using the correct 430nm and 66nm blues and reds, they don't, they use the cheap commonly available 470nm blue and 625nm red and although 470 and 625 will work, the efficacy if a fraction of that given by using the correct wavelength where the absorbtion peaks are - 430nm and 660nm.

Apart from that, there are many other spectra required for flowering cannabis besides those two wavelengths. Here's a breakdown of the wavelengths needed and the percentages you should have of each for flowering cananbis:

UV 310nm 5%
Blue 412nm, 440nm, 470nm 20%
Green 499nm 5%
Yellow 566nm, 590nm 2%
Amber 613nm 3%
Red 645nm, 660nm 60%
Far Red 730nm 5%

I've got all these wavelengths in my LED setup, apart from the 310nm UV, instead I'm using 365nm, which was the best I could find.

I gave up trying to tell Dav anything after I saw what he did to his end product, if the guy really thinks that speed dried powdered shake is good moke, there is zero point!

No-one has done a flowering run with all of the required spectra, Snstealth's grow used 3 Procyons, so he only had 460nm blue and 635nm red, and he got good results. Until someone does this LED thing properly and uses a light with all the required spectra in the correct proportions and with the correct level of illumination in terms of emitted power per cubic foot of grow space, we won't see the potential of LEDs. My goal is to replicate the light levels and UV index of the equator at midday to enable me to grow equatorial sativas to full expression and maturity, it's gonna be a long, hard process developing my setup to get to that point, and current LED technology probably isn't quite there yet, but it's moving fast. please don't let Dav's grow put you off LEDs, it's a long, long way from demonstrating the potential of LEDs. The big problem with the LED grows that have been done so far is that the growers did a poor job, and didn't take the correct approach, it still remains to be seen what potential can be unlocked by using the correct approach.

how would i go about setting up an led array for vegging for a really small microgrow? Where would i get parts? Any useful resources on your favorites?

green_thumb...

Strain Whore Extraordinaire!
Veteran
good question,id like to know too,LED's cant be that expensive the resistors either in fact you could probably get everything at a frys or radioshack

LED resources

LED resources

I've been doing research on LED arrays for sometime now. I havn't yet done one compleatly from scratch but have put together some do-it-yourself kits from homegrownlights.com LED are wonderful, especially for veg/clonning! It takes a little more than just red/blue for flowering non-autoflower strains. Anyway here are some of the best LED resources i have. If you're not a member http://www.instructables.com yet then do so now. Join this group http://www.instructables.com/group/danpowerled/ then start reading http://www.instructables.com/id/Circuits-for-using-High-Power-LED_s/. After we've all gotten through these basics we can talk about my accumulated links of LED sources and begin discussing the different types of LEDs and advantages/disadvantages.

I wanted to post a pic of my current use of LEDs on my Fogloner but the gallery is down at the moment and my pics are not on this computer yet.

By the way radio shack are frys would be too expensive for this kind of project (as far as the LEDs go).

Last edited:

dav zap

Pot Patent # 6,630,507 US Dept of Health & Human Services

Pot Patent # 6,630,507 US Dept of Health & Human Services

Issued 2003

Mr.Bigbud

Food dehydrator does a fine job at about 110 degrees F. Several hours till dry.

What a waste of time and money. You spent 1000 dollars growing 38 grams of ROPExDOPE hybrid, and then ruined it. Read some of the treads on here, and listen to the advice of experienced growers. Get a proper light, get a proper strain, and most important, listen to the good advise ICMAGer's can provide!

Wow, i can't believe it's already been over a year since my last post here... and new posts are just coming in. The sad part is i still have not built a LED system of my own. I've still been relying on CFLs (flower) and tubes (moms, clones). I was using some DIY led boards from http://www.homegrownlights.com/ for cloning but they crapped out on me because i didn't do the best soldering job (noob mistakes). Now my lighting research is in the way to POWER the lights, be they LEDs of fluorescents. Check out http://imhotepslabs.freeforums.org/imhotep-s-radiant-oscillator-lite-released-t19.html

Latest posts

Latest posts