What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

New extraction technique? Rosin tech?

Sunfire

Veteran
I agree 100%. Uneducated folk are hung up on color and ease of handling. When a purple strain, like my purple diesel, yields very dark and sappy oil. It's dark cause it's a purple strain and it's sappy cause its a diesel cross that terpy as all hell!

Perhaps the longer presses might get darker but have more terps since those are the heavier, longer chained constituents that extract after the thc does?

Hashmasta-Kut

honey oil addict
Veteran
I find while using sift that lower temps produce a nice clear light extract.

Flowers I am not going to waste my time with anymore, yield is just too low for me when i have bins of trim to sift.

if you had a bigger press you could press flowers. for people without bins of trim to sift pressing flowers is the main option too. i actually never generate any trim, just remove the leaf that is useless and leave the rest, have for years.

Sunfire

Veteran
Ok you just slipped that post in as I was typing that last one lol.

I was not saying YOU are uneducated Hashmasta, I was saying the general populous, people who are not extractors. Yes color can be an indicator of many thing and should be payed attention too. I'm just saying, just because it's dark, does not at all mean it's bad.

Stupid auto correct phone crap!

Hashmasta-Kut

honey oil addict
Veteran
I agree 100%. Uneducated folk are hung up on color and ease of handling. When a purple strain, like my purple diesel, yields very dark and sappy oil. It's dark cause it's a purple strain and it's sappy cause its a diesel cross that terpy as all hell!

Perhaps the longer presses might get darker but have more terps since those are the heavier, longer chained constituents that extract after the thc does?

well i am an educated folk. i understand when you have overheated an oil, or if it is merely a dark extract.

as for the longer presses getting more terps, this may be the case, but the flavor goes way down. first press without overheating tastes best. pressing too long, or second press collected to dab are still very potent, but much less tasty. it is a good stone for sure though, i am not sure what terpene ratio difference there is, from first press to second press for example, but thats worth researching.

blastfrompast

Veteran
if you had a bigger press you could press flowers. for people without bins of trim to sift pressing flowers is the main option too. i actually never generate any trim, just remove the leaf that is useless and leave the rest, have for years.

It just seems more efficient to turn the flowers to sift for me, even stepping on the iron seemed to yield no more than a dab for a 0.3g piece of flower.

I know there is still a decent amount of goodies left in the flowers I pressed, not so much with the kief it seems, I did a quick QWISO wash with my pressed flowers and the resulting oil was dark, but had some kick, yield was half what I normally should have gotten with the same flowers. Since it was only a 7g sample It could have been the dabs I was enjoying while doing the experiment.

I tried decarbing, partially decarbing, and no-decarb on the residual sift I have collected also.

Next to no effects when I ate 1gram of each heated, and mixed with oil and soy lethecin.

No decarb, 1/2 the time I normally would, and a full decarb....

I know eating a gram of my sift decarbed in oil with soy lethecin would normally put me down for a few hours...

Just thought I would put that out there.

Hashmasta-Kut

honey oil addict
Veteran
i've been thinking about that too, turning the flowers into sift, but i do have a t shirt press now, so i think i bought that instead of a tumbler :D

StoneyK

Veteran
From GG4 dry sift
picture.php

Nobody has tried a clothes iron yet? Seems like you could put a bunch more pressure than the hair straightener...also...are y'al pressing at like 340 the first press then pressing at 400 the second or whatever, just increasing the temp?

cyat

Veteran
Nobody has tried a clothes iron yet? Seems like you could put a bunch more pressure than the hair straightener...also...are y'al pressing at like 340 the first press then pressing at 400 the second or whatever, just increasing the temp?

ive been using one

JointOperation

it seems like you are trying to discount the fact of color mattering at all. the smell and touch come second; when i overpress a bud in a hair press at too hot a temp, when i open it up instantly i can see the darkened oil. to say color doesn't matter is not true. of course dont get hung up on any aspect of the process, but pay attention to all of them, because they all matter.

your not quite grasping what im throwing out there.. im not saying color doesn't matter.. im just saying. until heat is added.. color is color.. and if u run old material. or crappy material then yes... but when running buds.. if your return is coming out darker then a lot of the posts on here.. it could be that u take it longer into flower.. then they do . I know all my oil. .comes out darker because I take it further into flower.. but if I chop it a week or 2 before I normally do for flowers.. its super yellow light colored.. and more uppy and less potent in the smell and taste and potency department.

I just ment people don't seem to understand that color isn't the main factor yes.. when ur decarbing and shit with your pressing of rosin.. ur going to see a color change..

but when your running bho.. and 1 strain is yellow.. and the other is like red orange.. without going over 100 degree water bath.. the temps had nothing to do with the color..

im just saying.. tooo many people think that a darker oil isn't of best quality.. and they believe this light.. clear.. yellow shit is the best.. lol.. ill pull my shit 3 weeks early. .and make u some CLEAR or super light extracts.. haha .

blastfrompast

Veteran
i've been thinking about that too, turning the flowers into sift, but i do have a t shirt press now, so i think i bought that instead of a tumbler :D

I need to find someone with a T-shirt press, see if it will do anything for my yield, I doubt it, but who knows.

I'm wishing I had a tumbler tho, shaking the bag over my sift table is getting old, not to mention I get covered in a trich's..lol

I wasn't a big sift fan before, I liked it but I wasn't a big fan of dabbing even full melt, and I love how I can dab, or use this in my pen.

No muss no fuss, and better flavor than I could achieve with my bho..

Hashmasta-Kut

honey oil addict
Veteran
I need to find someone with a T-shirt press, see if it will do anything for my yield, I doubt it, but who knows.

I'm wishing I had a tumbler tho, shaking the bag over my sift table is getting old, not to mention I get covered in a trich's..lol

I wasn't a big sift fan before, I liked it but I wasn't a big fan of dabbing even full melt, and I love how I can dab, or use this in my pen.

No muss no fuss, and better flavor than I could achieve with my bho..

if you want good yield from a hair press as much pressure as you can get on it is key. i saw you say a .3 nug gets you one dab, well i would get much closer to 3 from that. at least two big ones.

your not quite grasping what im throwing out there.. im not saying color doesn't matter.. im just saying. until heat is added.. color is color.. and if u run old material. or crappy material then yes... but when running buds.. if your return is coming out darker then a lot of the posts on here.. it could be that u take it longer into flower.. then they do . I know all my oil. .comes out darker because I take it further into flower.. but if I chop it a week or 2 before I normally do for flowers.. its super yellow light colored.. and more uppy and less potent in the smell and taste and potency department.

I just ment people don't seem to understand that color isn't the main factor yes.. when ur decarbing and shit with your pressing of rosin.. ur going to see a color change..

but when your running bho.. and 1 strain is yellow.. and the other is like red orange.. without going over 100 degree water bath.. the temps had nothing to do with the color..

im just saying.. tooo many people think that a darker oil isn't of best quality.. and they believe this light.. clear.. yellow shit is the best.. lol.. ill pull my shit 3 weeks early. .and make u some CLEAR or super light extracts.. haha .

of course i grasp you, i fully understand, yet didn't quite agree with your statement that color doesnt matter. we both understand and agree on all the data though, to a similar degree.

blastfrompast

Veteran
hashmasta:

I tried stepping on it, but honestly I found it a real pita to recover the extract vs just using sift. I'd get a decent sized dab, mebbe 2...but It would have plant matter in the dab and if I wanna smoke plant matter I would dab my melty sift...

Honestly, I am just playing around with the iron while I work on my other idea..hopefully the maiden voyage of the device goes well this weekend if buddy ever gets around to finishing up the..... :)

cyat

Veteran
buds havnt worked for me... using kief, or dry sift wtf is the difference anyway?

used a 110 screen and the bubble bag after the work bag, bag works best... ( got the meltiest full melt off this bag too, only burned one bowl of it though, the rosin is soooo much better! )

coffee filter folded in parchment ...cotton linen setting.. biggest yield from one press was a gram and a half... panini press didnt work, not tight enough, hair iron i tried was too hot

small dabs taste best, and alot really isnt needed

Hashmasta-Kut

honey oil addict
Veteran
hashmasta:

I tried stepping on it, but honestly I found it a real pita to recover the extract vs just using sift. I'd get a decent sized dab, mebbe 2...but It would have plant matter in the dab and if I wanna smoke plant matter I would dab my melty sift...

Honestly, I am just playing around with the iron while I work on my other idea..hopefully the maiden voyage of the device goes well this weekend if buddy ever gets around to finishing up the..... :)

depends on the bud type too, some dont juice much. I dont get much plant bits at all, maybe its because i always use dampish/sticky buds, and also ball them up super tight like hash nuggets before pressing, if they arent really dense to start with.

blastfrompast

Veteran
tried sticky buds, but didn't ball them up first, thanks for the tip.

Shame your not local, wouldn't mind comparing our work...lol

99%

try this - place the dry plant material in a Bubble bag (160 ~ 125 micron mesh) and then place that Bubble bag inside of 25 micron Bubble bag then place these two bags inside a paper bag, cinch the tops of the three bags and shake up and down. This way all the powder will be contained. If you only have a large section of mesh, then form this into a bag shape with the plant material inside and then place this mesh bag in a paper bag and agitate it to sift off the resin...then clean up the low grade resin how you like.

Jurred

Picked up some "cooking grade" bubble hash just to try this out with. Ordered a flat iron but I'm wondering if anyone has found a source for 25u mesh screens that aren't from a bubble bag or pressing screen?

X1ekM3Y.jpg