What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

New extraction technique? Rosin tech?

Sunfire

Veteran
Wait wait so now people are saying it's "terpy as shit"? Well clearly there's discrepancies and this tech still need to get dialed in.

Roji where are you?!?!?

dry ice is cheep compared to the time you'll save if you set up a rig like I described a few pages back to sift a shit load of trim per day.

A photo mount heat press is at least twice the size of a tshirt press. We used them to tack on heat transfer paper on the back of our 8 x 10 photos then press to mounting boards. Low temps too

theother

How are you applying pressure to yours? I'm standing on mine for 5 seconds set on 350. I weight about 215 pounds.

I'm sifting just about the same. 120u super super gentle. Actual flowers being used are currently definitely second tier. Still working the kinks out of everything so haven't gone after anything amazing yet.

I gotta play around some more, one of the first runs I did I went longer on the press and got a different quality of oil. I believe material was slightly different though.

blastfrompast

Veteran
The rosin I make from sift seems to be a closer match to the flowers in taste and smell, just stronger, course the sift smells great as it is.

I did Alot of back to back testing today, between almost full melt hash, Rosin, and Bho(pull and snap ). For me it was Rosin, then hash, then bho. Had the hash been completely full melt it would probalby win, but who knows. Tried 2 strains.

One thing I notice, I don't get much now for my second press of sift, not really even worth it. I am getting very pale yellow rosin now that I have my heat dialed in.

It is a great use of scissor hash, pressing into rosin that is...tho it made an oil that was yellow with a slight tinge of green vs a nice pale yellow like the sift does. Nice yield, not as nice ash sift.

I am saving the spent pressed sift for medibles, any other ideas? ...And soaking my mesh screens in the last of my everclear to clean them....Amazing how yellow/orange the everclear has gotten...Ill probably cook it down in a week or two, and use it for tinctures. Give it a full decarb.

theother

Played around with flowers today, did 5 second press at like 320-330. The extract was super light yellow color. Consistency was super instable. Honestly couldn't even collect it in one dab, so that was annoying. Gonna try flowers back at 350 and see if it helps. I have a feeling that super light colored stuff today would have been very terpy.

blaze02

Played around with flowers today, did 5 second press at like 320-330. The extract was super light yellow color. Consistency was super instable. Honestly couldn't even collect it in one dab, so that was annoying. Gonna try flowers back at 350 and see if it helps. I have a feeling that super light colored stuff today would have been very terpy.

unstable like its really sappy? throw it in fridge for a minute or two before u collect your dab,.sorry if you already do that.

this method is crazy. I feel so weird squishing dank buds..i did it with 5 grams super frosty og but only got ~.6

i think i could improve yeild but it was sooo dank and looked like good clear shatter. tatste is great off the quartz nail and got pretty high.

Cant wait to see people coming up with creative ways to produce on a commercial scale, i think there is definitely a large market potential for this product.

blaze02

Also, where do you guys think pricing is gonna fall with this stuff?

i would guess around $100-120 per g for stuff made with high grade flower..but it would need the right hype for people to feel comfortable paying that.

goddangitbobby

Wait wait so now people are saying it's "terpy as shit"? Well clearly there's discrepancies and this tech still need to get dialed in.

Roji where are you?!?!?

dry ice is cheep compared to the time you'll save if you set up a rig like I described a few pages back to sift a shit load of trim per day.

It's terpy and has a high viscosity. I had my iron set at 310f.

When I first read about this process I was skeptical just because virtually every other processing method is focusing on using the lowest temperatures. I've made rudimentary tinctures using glycerin where heat has captuted some delicious terps.

I pressed the iron in the vice for about 5-7 seconds and ran a couple tests on some cured flowers. I was able to get really clean/clear and terpy results. It helped to press the material down before heat pressing it.

This stuff is so sappy that there's plenty of good medicine left on the parchment that will have to be removed with alcohol or oil. The most solid I could get it was a taffy for a couple seconds after sitting in the freezer for any hour. I didn't have any luck getting some material on the dabber and using it to pick up more, it just smeared everywhere when I tried.

There's a distinctive taste difference from bho mine was really earthy and was some of the better hash I've tasted. The material I used was good organic outdoor. It really reminded me of the dab I tried from Frenchie at the emerald cup.

Sam_Skunkman

"RESIN BREEDER"
Veteran
Years ago after the first post 10 years ago I tried this, with a double boiler, it works.
Recently I designed a automated tractor that grabs the all the buds on the living plants, gives them a hot squeeze and then grabs another plant and does the same.
I can do 3 acres an hour, that yields 30-50 kg of rosin, I can get more yield, but it is not as good. I also have designed a fan that captures the terpenes lost during the hot squeeze and then you can add them back to the rosin afterwards.
Maybe I will change my name to Sam the Rosinman? Ralph the Rosinman?
I call it the Combine Hot Squeeze Rosin & Terpene Harvester® soon to be available at your local farm machinery supplier.....
Cool method, but low yield, and less terpenes then dry sift, but better then smoking poor quality dry sift that is a lot of trash, convert all that to Rosin or to edibles or clean it up one way or another?
How long before someone has a portable microwave they can place over a plant or on many plants like a tractor in a field situation, vape all the terpenes and Cannabinoids off the plants which are deposited by suction fans in flasks maybe one for terps and one for Cannabinoids? With a good extraction rate who knows what could be in the near future?
-SamS

Last edited:

smurfin'herb

Registered Cannabis User
Veteran
Thats sounds pretty interesting Sam! Only you man. haha

Has anyone noticed the buzz from rosin is more rounded, vs wax or shatter? I personally think its a lot more enjoyable. Ive been pressing flowers mostly. The taste of this stuff is very addicting.

Wayzer

Lol!

With sams blessing, rosin is a sure fire contender.

It is a god sent for non melts, that is for sure. and i believe its gonna be mainly used on hash, more so than flower as it progresses... But awesome how many hearts and minds this tek has captured!

cyat

Veteran
Thats sounds pretty interesting Sam! Only you man. haha

Has anyone noticed the buzz from rosin is more rounded, vs wax or shatter? I personally think its a lot more enjoyable. Ive been pressing flowers mostly. The taste of this stuff is very addicting.

more well rounded???

waaaay more potent!!!! ate everything in my fridge lastnight , was in a coma all night and woke up in a fog, could barely move...
felt alot like a weedover from edibles

did a ton o dabs since I was "testing" only the tiniest amount was needed each time and not as drippy as wax

I used a regular iron

Roji

Years ago after the first post 10 years ago I tried this, with a double boiler, it works.
Recently I designed a automated tractor that grabs the all the buds on the living plants, gives them a hot squeeze and then grabs another plant and does the same.
I can do 3 acres an hour, that yields 30-50 kg of rosin, I can get more yield, but it is not as good. I also have designed a fan that captures the terpenes lost during the hot squeeze and then you can add them back to the rosin afterwards.
Maybe I will change my name to Sam the Rosinman? Ralph the Rosinman?
I call it the Combine Hot Squeeze Rosin & Terpene Harvester® soon to be available at your local farm machinery supplier.....
Cool method, but low yield, and less terpenes then dry sift, but better then smoking poor quality dry sift that is a lot of trash, convert all that to Rosin or to edibles or clean it up one way or another?
How long before someone has a portable microwave they can place over a plant or on many plants like a tractor in a field situation, vape all the terpenes and Cannabinoids off the plants which are deposited by suction fans in flasks maybe one for terps and one for Cannabinoids? With a good extraction rate who knows what could be in the near future?
-SamS

You should do stand-up. :tiphat:

Roji

Anyone actually get thier stuff tested??? Or are you guys just saying its better then BHO?? The tests i can find dont prove that at all. Also cant find a terpeane test.

My BHO always tests in the high 80s to low 90s for THC and gets 8-15% terps depending on material and THC potency.

Only rosin tests i can find
http://analytical360.com/vendors/listing/conscious-extracts

11049426_1405647473076119_1739837921_n.jpg

Guyute54

ICMag Donor
Veteran
Did some rosin on kief and it came out almost glass like when I tried to collect it. anybody else get that?

Yup happened to me but I didn't scrape the rosin off the parchment paper right away. Seems the longer you wait to collect the rosin it turns to shatter. But yet my big slab is still very pliable.

Been non stop dabing this every night and haven't had a hangover feeling, I actually feel rested and great the next day. But I also sleep light if I don't smoke anything before bed and usually only end up with 3-4 hours of good rest. Been having some crazy dreams though. Maybe it's helping to open that 3rd eye they talk about.

theother

Question for anyone using a t shirt press, can you fill the whole 15x15 area with nugs spread thin or is it still just one or two flowers at a time directly in the center.