What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

New extraction technique? Rosin tech?

JointOperation

its like paper... the ones on e b a y .. mesh screens atleast the ones I bought were thin enough to use for this method for sure.. u could fold it in half. put the bud inside or kief inside.. and press no problems..

after a few runs im sure they might snap.. or get really weak.

FatherEarth

Veteran
Wedding cake rosin...
I had to try it...lol
picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

The microscopy shots of the flat buds revealed that I only melted the heads off, I even got a few shots of whole trichomes lightly squished but still intact.
True clear solventless.
I will say Im sold on the tek for quick extraction.

Im currently working on designing a Rosin Press out of SS and precise heat control combined with hydraulic pressure and a few other elements.

I think this tek is here to stay. Once we dial in the process it may be one of the most used ways to extract dabable oils....

EsterEssence

Veteran
I want a press that you can do multiple splotches, maybe with a t shirt press. I'm going to wait till my mesh comes, and see what the loss to the mesh is...

blastfrompast

Veteran
I tried dry flowers, wet flowers(fresh), and dry sift this weekend.
Best and only way I will be making it going forward is with dry sift. Low temp,high pressure, ,screen, and fresh dry sift(from last weeks chop).

Flavour is strong, low temp nail dabbing is where it is at for using it. Watch burning yourself on the iron lol. I'm already workin on an automated way to run large amounts as have lots of sift to run and flat iron isn't gonna cut it.

FatherEarth

Veteran
If you already have sift why would you heat press it? Does it get better and leave the wax layer from the heads behind? If not, it seems as though you would only be losing quality ...?

blastfrompast

Veteran
Half melt sift to pure goodness is my point. I'm finding less heat for very short time withe a few tricks can make clear light yellow solvent free dabs with a damn fine yield.
No card sifting just a quick rough sift :)

So why even do sift? The best return for hash is dry ice method right? Then you cN just oress that into rosin? Even the secondary "cooking grade," could be extracted with heat then used for cooking still?

blastfrompast

Veteran
Dry Ice costs $$$but a quick rough shake in mesh bag Over 4x4 table, is fast, a bit of veg matter is ok, I press in mesh and parchment.

I am looking at making a tumbler if my press idea works jus to upscale my sift production

FatherEarth

Veteran
Right on. Makes use of all those microns of bubblebags that are worth having around... I may have to jump back into some bubble for a second.
That has been my main issue with bubble hash. You only get a small amount of full melt and lots of smolder boulder, food grades. A lot of effort for a small amount of head stash. Not a commercially viable way to produce hash, at least for me anyway. Dry sift on the other hand seems to be ok, but Ive yet to get returns from any screening, sifting or bubblebags that rivals a BHO extraction. If it did rival BHO there would only be so much of it you would want to smoke and the rest isnt puff worthy. Id much rather have water extracted hash if it was able to produce the same way...

theother

Right on. Makes use of all those microns of bubblebags that are worth having around... I may have to jump back into some bubble for a second.
That has been my main issue with bubble hash. You only get a small amount of full melt and lots of smolder boulder, food grades. A lot of effort for a small amount of head stash. Not a commercially viable way to produce hash, at least for me anyway. Dry sift on the other hand seems to be ok, but Ive yet to get returns from any screening, sifting or bubblebags that rivals a BHO extraction. If it did rival BHO there would only be so much of it you would want to smoke and the rest isnt puff worthy. Id much rather have water extracted hash if it was able to produce the same way...
This is a good start in that direction. So far what I have seen is a definite improvement in the smokesbility of the material. Dry sift tht would not be smoke able is passable after a press. I'm assuming that it will have the same effect on the less desirable bubble bags.

EsterEssence

Veteran
Dry sift that would not be smoke able is passable.
You mean kief? I am using kief straight from my tumbler that is working awesome, much better than passable in my book...

theother

Dry sift that would not be smoke able is passable.
You mean kief? I am using kief straight from my tumbler that is working awesome, much better than passable in my book...

What I meant by that is kief that would press into smoldering boulders will be full melt with less contaminants after the heat press. It leaves something to be desired on the nail, but smokes on flower like full melt water. When I press full melt amazing dry sift I get a largish yield of straight dab able oil.

I gotta switch up to using screens though, I think that's gonna help. I kind of think the better the dry sift the further the oil travels on the parchment and the less contaminants that are picked up with it. Maybe on the more "course" kief the screens would help yield a more dab able product.

Croptober

I kind of think the better the dry sift the further the oil travels on the parchment and the less contaminants that are picked up with it.

I think its the same with hash. I made some rosin from some old 3 or 4* yesterday and the oil spread like crazy.

Brelva

Imagine if this is all leading up to people eventually running giant piles of 99% dry sift through industrial presses. Straight turning sand into glass and selling entire windows of shatter lol :abduct:

theother

Half melt sift to pure goodness is my point. I'm finding less heat for very short time withe a few tricks can make clear light yellow solvent free dabs with a damn fine yield.
No card sifting just a quick rough sift :)

What's your technique? With a t shirt press or a flat iron? I've been playing around with a flat iron and getting somewhat inconsistent results. Kind of thinking a t shirt press is gonna be necessary.

I've been running the flat iron at 350 (checked with ir temp gun) and pressing for 5 seconds. Sometimes I'm getting decent oil shooting out, other times it just seems the whole pile of sift turns into a gooey pile of full melt. The "full melt" is kind of dab able but really best smoked on flower. The oil is great, would love to get more of that.

FatherEarth

Veteran
it's def going to shorten shelf life of the now exposed terpenes..for the head stash it'll be fresh pressed sift rosin..keep a mini press for squishing out fresh squeezed free range organic dabs for each rip.. Lol

blastfrompast

Veteran
Ok I have the hair straightener down pat now I think.

I am making about a 1/3-1/2gram per press from rough 120u screened ww trim.....

I am not sifting the trim very long, a couple minutes, dry shake over my shaker table. Collect it and then the magic starts...

Took me about a half oz of sift before my wife gave gave me the idea that makes it seem to work well.

I am using a hair straightener.

picture.php

blastfrompast

Veteran
One other thing I like is if you leave it on parchment for a while it gets that glass like look vs the picture above which was just pressed and collected then smooshed into a blob and pressed between parchment quickly while it was still all warm. :)

Terpy as shit tho...gotta watch how big a dab you consume, tickles my nose with one strain especially.