What's new

new Cali med laws for dummies - or why you are done growing next year

furrywall11

What's to stop someone with no felonies and a nice piece of agricultural land from getting a type 2 license and putting up 3 1500 square foot greenhouses and killing it? Assuming of course that the county is cool with it.

I don't see where they talk about how they decide who gets the licenses...

theJointedOne

Veteran
Honestly though you can prove caregivership for a spouse/partner/parent/child/sibling pretty easily. 500sq ft of dep ain't bad.

Only down side is you'd be stuck in the black market and unable to enter your product into the legal medical scene, simply BC of the veg to harvest to delivery to sale tracked system..

Chunkypigs

passing the gas
Veteran
What's to stop someone with no felonies and a nice piece of agricultural land from getting a type 2 license and putting up 3 1500 square foot greenhouses and killing it? Assuming of course that the county is cool with it.

you need a local and county permit before the state will license you.

mojave green

rockin in the free world
Veteran
would love to drop a nice swamp cooled, automated light dep greenhouse in the mojave. wind powered be paradise!
:biggrin:

Sunfire

Veteran

I'm sure after all the taxes incurred, ontop of basic state and federal income tax (yeah google 280e tax law and tell me how you expect to jump through that one) you'll be lucky to actually keep half of what you make. Plus there's a 30k fine every time you or your employees screw up and book keeping and EVERYTHING has to be kept track of. There certainly is no statements about how fast or selective licenses will be either. Probably the ones with lobbyists will get in first and make sure others dont. Politics is so dirty, seriously, extremely crooked all the way down to the county level. Best believe if you ain't got lots of skin and cash in the game, or Hezekiah ' s buddy, you won't be getting any special favors.

I've been following Colorado in anticipation of how things could shake out here. It seems they still have a black market that is thriving. Many growers gave up on legal and went back due to over regulations and taxes. So in assume there is still time for those that can grow a 10 x 10 that produce the best product that the commercial grows don't recreate.

I'm still interested to see how much a 1A would cost and what type of regulations the county/city will set. I would love to set up a legal operation for growing and making FMCD which is what I do now, but on a bigger scale. I look at how Colorado has over 1000 pages of regulations that change monthly and it makes me nervous to think of keeping track of all of that. I would definitely need to tighten up my operation to meet those standards.

I really don't like the idea of over regulation or doing it black market style. This is like waiting for the slow train coming down the tracks to run you over.

Northern cali mountain growers and unions for the win.
Small guy for the loss

It really depends on how much a specialty license costs. There aren't many grows that hit 5000 sq ft (indoor/greenhouse) now. It's hard to say until I see more data.

I also expect the high end black market to flourish for a while as well. When stores are selling mids for $40 and good grower could.crush a 10 x 10 selling $150-$200 ounces to locals.

Either way I think most small growers have a lot more than a year of profitable growing left here.

mojave green

rockin in the free world
Veteran
I also expect the high end black market to flourish for a while as well. When stores are selling mids for $40 and good grower could.crush a 10 x 10 selling $150-$200 ounces to locals.
that's what i'm seeing as well. weed is still a grey market product at best. alot of private festivals goin on. folks don't want leo attention, "legal" or not. been fucked with for too long. counties and local municipalities will still remain on the ban wagon!
long live the private market!
:laughing:

It seems they still have a black market that is thriving. Many growers gave up on legal and went back due to over regulations and taxes.

They also went back underground because of the huge demand for low/medium quality, highly profitable units going to out of state buyers...

underground is anywhere without on the grid power right ? never really seen neighborhoods with electric blow it up like they do in places without any.

SpaceJunkOG

I have this nagging sensation that we are completely fucked. jan 1 is not far off.

You may be right that some of us are fucked, but not on this upcoming January 1st, i don't think. California has been very open in the media about the fact that they can't just set that stuff up overnight - these are going to be entire bureaus and departments with offices and staffs, budgets, salaries, payrolls, and they have to set it all up from scratch. The government (of any state) does not move very fast doing that kind of stuff. Also probably very dependent on your county. Things that are easy to regulate like plant counts might be regulated sooner. But the bigger issues like distribution, testing, cash collection and transport, organic certification with the proper inspections, all the complicated infrastructure. . . . . that's gonna take a year to set up methinks. At least. And for the grand vision that they've set out to completely monetize and control MMJ in California? I'm thinking 4 years. Even SB643 says, "no later than Jan 1st 2020, the Department of Food and Agriculture in conjunction with the bureau shall make available.....an organic certification program for medical marijuana." Obviously they know it's gonna take them 4 years to set this shit up. There's a lot of other parts of the bill that are going to take multiple years to set up too.

like somebody else said in here referring to "the lag", . . . we may be fucked, but probably not on Jan 1st 2017. i say most people got another year before it's scramble time, depending on your county. don't take my word for it though. i tend to be overly optimistic.

yesum

ICMag Donor
Veteran
So I still do not know if I am ok growing my medical 6 plants like before? Is it canopy area now for everyone or what?