What's new

Neem oil did not work on my powdery mildew

mad librettist

Veteran
ipm1025art18.jpg

Is this what you mean? That's a two spotted mite

I have these I think, although they are under control at the moment: red spidermite

red-spidermite.jpg

I don't know about the plants in the picture, but i think my mites only lay on the big vein. and come to think of it I think they may be more brownish. I'm kinda bad with visual memory.

NUG-JUG

Yup I got the ones in the first pic. Those red ones look evil!

They're fuckers how they lay the eggs so close to the main vein to be protected.

mad librettist

Veteran
they aren't so bad with a device to remind which day, light neem oil, and misting in between treatments. takes 2-3 weeks. If you miss a day you start over.

Your fast mites I don't know about. Predators? Neutral? :dunno:

NUG-JUG

Yea mites aren't so bad once you realize how they operate. At first I was bewildered, thought they could fly or something. Since then I've gotten to the point where I'm winning by far but they still here.

As for my yellow speed-demon mites they make webs so I don't think they're good guys.

mad librettist

Veteran
Flattened / Fast moving / Light Brown – These are usually predatory mites. I actually bought some Hypoaspis miles (a predatory biocontrol agent) once in an attempt to deal with a really bad fungus gnat infestation I had in a couple of my bins. They were very small, light brown in colour, and very fast! I’ve seen similar mites in outdoor manure and compost piles, and sometimes in my indoor bins as well. Predatory mites are of course encouraged in a worm composting system since they can feed on other creatures typically thought of as pests.

admittedly just from a blog

special-millbasin-brooklyn-pest-control-nyc-2-P010.jpg

Yellow mites tydeidae

Most of the species in the family Tydeidae are considered fungivores or predators, however, a few are known to be facultatively phytophagous. These mites are oval in shape, fast moving, and can be found both singly or in congregations. Their chelicerae (mouthparts) are highly modified into slender stylets which are used to pierce fungal bodies, other microorganisms, and/or plant tissue

:bigeye:

Amblyseius fallacis and Typhlodromus pyri, Phytoseiid predator mite species

European red mites and twospotted spider mites.

A. fallacis is a fast moving, yellow mite about the size of ERM, that moves back into trees in mid-summer. Where abundant, it can provide effective pest mite control.

Zetzellia mali, Stigmaeid predator mite

Primarily European red mite (ERM) eggs.

Adults are lemon yellow. Feeding pattern complements predation by Phytoseiid predators as they prefer different ERM stages.

Clackamas Coot

Veteran
Yea mites aren't so bad once you realize how they operate. At first I was bewildered, thought they could fly or something. Since then I've gotten to the point where I'm winning by far but they still here.

As for my yellow speed-demon mites they make webs so I don't think they're good guys.
NUG-JUG

If you're interested in looking into predatory mites then March Biological might be a good place to start. 1,000 eggs are $21.00

Good folks who've been in the business for over 20 years.

HTH

CC

NUG-JUG

ML- That sounds\looks like them, some are "facultatively phytophagous" (eat plants)? Maybe I have the plant eating ones. Fast moving forsure. I brag to people about my mite's world class speed.

CC- Thanks! My neem oil methods work, but when flowering time comes I stop since I don't want peanut butter pot. I use Azatrol which works wonders, but I feel like I'm killing everything beneficial aswell. With predatory mites i'd have to stop the neem and just put my faith in them, which I'm willing to do for awhile..:watchplant:

B. Friendly

"IBIUBU" Sayeith the Dude
Veteran
Have not tried this yet but is suppost to do the trick, check it out
EAGLE 20EW powdery mildew systemic
get a sulphur burner and problems are eliminated

NUG-JUG

ML now that I think of it seems like the larger mites were in complete control, then slowly they gave way to the fast yellow kind..Maybe they are predatory hmm. I'll look more into the the last two you mentioned.

guest2012y

Living with the soil
Veteran
I just dosed the whole room....every plant up and down with neem. I did not dose the flowering ones.......I hit everything! I'm even drenched and it feels awesome!

EDIT: My kid says it smells good in here.

NUG-JUG

LOL! :laughing:

That's how I end up too! I can't help it since i just put the pump sprayer on auto and lift up smaller plants, which leads to a nice mist getting on me. The beauty of neem oil is your kid can be around and all that happens is a few laughs. Unlike some other non-organic crap.

guest2012y

Living with the soil
Veteran
Now I know what percentage I can spray without damage. So I'm hitting em' heavy. In my spraying frenzy I found a couple isolated spots of PM. No mites,some fungus gnats and thrips. I also just transplanted a multitude of kids into the flower room. I hit those girls up and down before and after transplanting. It's in my teeth!

guyhowdy

Now I know what percentage I can spray without damage. So I'm hitting em' heavy. In my spraying frenzy I found a couple isolated spots of PM. No mites,some fungus gnats and thrips. I also just transplanted a multitude of kids into the flower room. I hit those girls up and down before and after transplanting. It's in my teeth!

Hey Capt.Cheeze, I recently burned a plant with neem oil and don't wanna repeat that again. Could you share your recipe of neem/wetting agent/water? 2-3tsp of neem per quart? Also, should i apply when the lights are going off or let the plants dry off before putting them back under the lights? Any info helps :]

guest2012y

Living with the soil
Veteran
really guys you would be wiser to halve the concentration and double the frequency.
That would be wiser......but I'm a risk taker. Also,There are so many aspects of growing the way I am (multiple strains,seedlings,sexing,breeding,flower rotations every month,24 hr veg,clone non-stop,outdoor plants inside hogging up space waiting to go outside,etc,etc,) That I don't really follow any pre-determined application rate. This is why I bumped up the mix.

When it comes to what proportions I mix......it's all flying by the seat of my pants until something gets burnt and then I back it off. I can't say what proportions to mix,I have the feeling that different brands will give different results.

mad librettist

Veteran
Also,There are so many aspects of growing the way I am (multiple strains,seedlings,sexing,breed ing,flower rotations every month,24 hr veg,clone non-stop,outdoor plants inside hogging up space waiting to go outside,etc,etc,) That I don't really follow any pre-determined application rate. This is why I bumped up the mix.

Consider then that the spider mite's eggs are impervious at any concentration. You will wipe out the adults at any concentration. But only structured application can truly crash the population. That is why stoners think spider mites are impossible, while the rest of the horticultural world classifies it as an easy pest to control.

guest2012y

Living with the soil
Veteran
Consider then that the spider mite's eggs are impervious at any concentration. You will wipe out the adults at any concentration. But only structured application can truly crash the population. That is why stoners think spider mites are impossible, while the rest of the horticultural world classifies it as an easy pest to control.
DAMMIT!!! I knew I was a stoner. Well back to the drawing board.
Really though,I don't have issues with mites as I learned years ago the methods of control that work with my style. Once in great while I'll see a little colony develop..........I spray with neem and that's all she wrote.

Latest posts

Latest posts