What's new

Neem oil did not work on my powdery mildew

mad librettist

Veteran
read to the end please before commenting

So I had a non MJ plant, purchased from a specialized supplier. Shortly after it arrived, and after taking care of it as best I could, It grew white, then developed long white filaments.

I went with neem oil, and contacted the vendor. He advised me to continue with the neem. But even hammering this thing repeatedly, with neem and neem, did not touch these angry looking filaments.

Then the other day, I found out after having it identified that the plant had been mislabeled, and the filaments are a protective hair made by the plant. lol. I had given up, and did not understand why this plant wouldn't die, despite the massive fungal infection.

Had I followed the rules of Integrated Pest Management, I would have known much sooner, and the plant, with proper care, would be healthier. IPM requires positive ID before treatment, and had I pursued it I would have uncovered the mistake.

Whatever products we use, we should never forget our heads. Without my head, I made even neem oil useless, and that shit is powerful. It even made me doubt the oil, so if I had the misfortune of needing it, I was less likely to use it.

guest2012y

Living with the soil
Veteran
It worked on mine......I doubled and then tripled the strength. I actually brought it up to 5 teaspoons per quart before I started to cook the leaves.......I backed it down to 2 or 3. Only sprayed the trouble plant 3 times so far with no re-mold issue,but I also use it for pests. Today I soaked the soil of a clone off the plant with PM. We'll see if it lives because I drenched it good.

grapeman

Veteran
Get yourself a proper mildewcide. Neem is not. A new product that some are using is Eagle. Rally, Bayleton, Elite are others. If being truly organic is more important then killing the mildew for good, then do a wash with water and a sticker/spreader (or dish soap if you don't want to buy one) by spraying all the leaves (top and bottom) and stems in your grow room. Water kills mildew but will not prevent it's recurrence. In the old days when we had a bad mildew infection we washed the crops with water and spreader, then applied sulfer either as a wettable or dust. But now that we have high tech materials specifically designed to KILL and PREVENT mildew infections, take a look at them.

Neem is a good material that I use on my tomatos, is not a mildewcide worth risking your crop with.

mad librettist

Veteran
lol guys, did I hide that too well?

does anybody read to the end?

there was no mildew. the plant is supposed to look like that. It had been improperly labeled.

NUG-JUG

It worked on mine......I doubled and then tripled the strength. I actually brought it up to 5 teaspoons per quart before I started to cook the leaves.......I

Nice! captcheese1 pushin the boundaries of neem dosage so we don't have to. I've noticed that sativas burn from neem more easily. :dunno:

mad librettist

Veteran
what? I'm no pro bro.

more like a deranged fan...

I work in a ridiculously unrelated field.

IPM is just a philosophy for interfering with nature in as safe a manner as possible.

Zealious

If you had mildew .. raw milk would work. look it up . scientist found that its more effective than anything else.

guest2012y

Living with the soil
Veteran
Nice! captcheese1 pushin the boundaries of neem dosage so we don't have to. I've noticed that sativas burn from neem more easily. :dunno:
The mileage may vary for sure. I dose em' hard when I see any fungus or pests.... It's about control,not winning. I'm sure some people manage to keep bugs out of their room,but I'm using topsoil and actual living (crawling) soil. Balance seems to be the only thing I can get the upper hand on.

mad librettist

Veteran
I found the best thing for me when it comes to pests that walk or crawl, if neem oil is necessary, is to keep a strict schedule.

but first and foremost you have to identify the pest positively.

NUG-JUG

I'm with you 100% on the balance thing. I neem frequently in veg, and I use only 1 1\2 tsp. to a half gallon. I don't ever get PM, but mites are my issue. I used to DE-NEEM (just spray with water) every time I applied the stuff thinking it had to be removed to prevent burning.

montehierba

Dude everyone knows powdery mildew is the worse pest for a garden anytime a year, you can prevent, but ones it is there... is there to stay and destroy.

mad librettist

Veteran
I use it if I see mites, but all the while I try to take measures they dislike. Misting the soil for instance, and misting the canopy frequently (don't overdo it).

Remember, neem oil takes out predator mites as well. Not sure I have them, but I have all kinds of mites in the soil that is for sure.

NUG-JUG

ML I seem to have two varieties of spider mites. Some are whitish yellow and run so fast! The others are huge and have a dark spot. The large ones move much slower. Are these normal household varieties? I noticed good success once I started misting the canopy daily in between Neem days.